• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bra Recommendations

twirl90

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2017
Hi fellow (lady) pilgrims! I'm going to be walking the Camino this April/May and have a question for the women = out there. What kind of sports bra are you using/have you used in the past? I have lots of running bras that I've used over the years but am not sure the best type to bring for a 30+ day trek with a pack that is also putting pressure on my shoulders.

I have a significantly large chest so that's throwing in another wrench to the decision making process. I want to find a bra that doesn't add additional pressure to my shoulders.

What specific bras have you had success with? Is a cross back bra the best? Or one with straight straps? Underwire? Thank you so much in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wear what you use every day at home. You will not be doing jumping jacks along the Camino, just walking. All I do differently is add an antichaffing ointment where the wire is, because of the sweat from walking in the heat.

Plus sports bras tend to be thick and will take much longer to dry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wear what you use every day at home. You will not be doing jumping jacks along the Camino, just walking. All I do differently is add an antichaffing ointment where the wire is, because of the sweat from walking in the heat.

Sports bras (proper ones) are designed to wick sweat and be quick drying and to tolerate the rigors of activity. Personal preference of course, but I wouldn't dream of wearing a regular bra.

Anemone is right, there's no need for a maximum support bra, you are just walking. I also hate the way sport bra's racerback straps dig into the tops of my shoulders. I look for a regular bra that's light, but without an underwire and without removable cups so that it's easy to hand-wash and wring them out. Try something like this: http://www.target.com/p/Warner's® S...sted Almond/-/A-49163032&ref=Order_Ship_Email

Anemone is right, there's no need for a maximum support bra, you are just walking. I also hate the way sport bra's racerback straps dig into the tops of my shoulders. I look for a regular bra that's light, but without an underwire and without removable cups so that it's easy to hand-wash and wring them out. Try something like this: http://www.target.com/p/Warner's® Simply Perfect by Women's Cooling Wirefree Bra - 36C Toasted Almond/-/A-49163032&ref=Order_Ship_Email
Alas, have needed the wire for years. These come with me, and have for 10 years: http://www.primadonna.eu/fr/primadonna/series/deauville. As different from a sports bra as can be. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anemone is right, there's no need for a maximum support bra, you are just walking. I also hate the way sport bra's racerback straps dig into the tops of my shoulders. I look for a regular bra that's light, but without an underwire and without removable cups so that it's easy to hand-wash and wring them out. Try something like this: http://www.target.com/p/Warner's® Simply Perfect by Women's Cooling Wirefree Bra - 36C Toasted Almond/-/A-49163032&ref=Order_Ship_Email
I brought one of those Warners bras last year and liked it.

not sure the best type to bring for a 30+ day trek with a pack that is also putting pressure on my shoulders

Hi, if your pack straps are causing pressure on your bra straps then you need to readjust the pack. When you put your pack on and do the hip belt up, the shoulder straps of the pack should be loose enough to be able to flick them off of your shoulders. The shoulder straps are there solely to hold the pack against your back, so it doesn’t fall off backwards. You should be carrying all the weight on your hips, and there should be no pressure on your shoulders whatsoever. As for bras, I wear the same as I do at home because I know they are comfortable, they wear well, and they dry quickly.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would avoid anything you have to pull over your head. You will likely be dressing while still a bit damp in a small cubicle that's still a bit steamy from your shower.

Oh. So. True.

But.. they're comfie so I just step into them and pull them up.
I just buy inexpensive sports bras at TXMax or wherever I find them.
They're tossed after the Camino so no need to spend kazillions.

Hi twirl90,

I have 2 sportsbra For walking and a regular bra for evening. I like to know that the "girls" will stay put while I walk but like to change into a bra in the evenings. dont know if you carry this brand in the states, But they are really good for those of us that are DD+. = Change.com.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi fellow (lady) pilgrims! I'm going to be walking the Camino this April/May and have a question for the women = out there. What kind of sports bra are you using/have you used in the past? I have lots of running bras that I've used over the years but am not sure the best type to bring for a 30+ day trek with a pack that is also putting pressure on my shoulders.

I have a significantly large chest so that's throwing in another wrench to the decision making process. I want to find a bra that doesn't add additional pressure to my shoulders.

I don't know how large you are, but I swear by the Shockabsorber active D plus bra. I am a 36 G, so it is very hard to get any bra that fits, let alone a sports bra. Most of them seem like they are just larger and larger fabric bands around the torso, without any consideration as to shape.

The shock absorber is comfortable, has some shape (not too much unibra happening but not a conventional bra either), and is supportive. It will mostly dry out over night if I hand wash - wringing it out inside a towel helps.

I have had other sports bras that are also comfortable, but they don't give the same shape. I've bought cheap sports bras, but they really don't fit well.

http://www.shockabsorber.ca

I would encourage anyone to go to a high lingerie store to get fitted - even if you don't buy anything! The difference knowing your actual size is (not the closest size available in the store) is pretty amazing.

I like the ExOfficio crossover bra. It is made from the same wicking, fast drying material as the panties. It offers NO support but is so comfortable. I like it for hiking with a pack because in black it provides me with some modesty when I wear t-shirts or light colored nylon shirts. In the backcountry I don't even bother with a bra. Even my C cup doesn't need support for hiking or walking (but I also have dense breasts that don't really sag). Only when I go for runs or do aerobic activity do I use a supportive bra. But this bra is perfect for when there are other people around and I don't want my girls peeking through. I wouldn't dream of wearing a regular bra or anything with an underwire. I get way too hot during hikes and even more so with a loaded pack. So this bra is perfect. It does go over the head but because it has no compression it's no different then putting on a t-shirt.

If you really want support then I'd recommend the Brooks Hot Shot bra. It has removable inserts and the wide, conforming straps are perfect to wearing a pack. There are no hooks to dig in and the style is tank top not racerback. No uniboob since it has an encapsulation style. On sale now at Brooks.com

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

What specific bras have you had success with? Is a cross back bra the best? Or one with straight straps? Underwire? Thank you so much in advance!
None of those so called sport-bra's (nor the sport-bars ;-)
ever really worked for me - thus I took my usual well constructed bra's with me - maybe not the newest one, but still in proper shape/s. (https://www.rigbyandpeller.com/ - yes, they are costly when not on sale (that's when i buy them) - but i've learned not to compromise on shoes, socks & bra's. cheap does not pay. and injures you in the process if you are quite unlucky)
i'd recommend that whatever works for you in your active daily life - take that and an extra. Plus - there are store en route if you'd need another or new one (things do get lost...)
just be mindful that euro bra sizes are different -

Lol... I am not top heavy in any way, shape or form (34B), but I have had super success with Hanes Get Cozy bras. They are lightweight, comfy and seamless, they retain their shape in the worst laundry conditions, and can even pass as a swimsuit top if you decide to take a dip in the river or splurge at a spa. Even better, they are only about $6-$8 a piece at Walmart, Target or Kmart. They make a racer back version that avoids anywhere that my backpack straps might hit, so no worries there. And, as stated before, you are only walking, so super support is not a major necessity. I had "real" sports bras for my first camino, but found they didn't always dry during September and October. I used the Hanes for Camino 2 and 3, both late May/early June and had no complaints. As stated before, I really do not need a lot of support, so I have chosen this style strictly for comfort and ease of use. My goal is to keep the girls happy!

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Even my C cup doesn't need support for hiking or walking (but I also have dense breasts that don't really sag).

I hate you. I thought I liked you, but no..... :D

My girls demand underwires, all the @#$%@^#& time. Still searching for that elusive underwire, non-uniboob, easy to put on, quick-drying, wicking, comfy, super-supportive-but-not-massive, light-but-opaque-can-pass-for-swimwear, sports bra.

I've passed a point where I just need to stop being such a cheapskate and go get a professional fitting at a real lingerie shop.

I totally agree. I use my favorite, no frills, synthetic regular bras. Very comfortable, no lace or scratchiness. I'm sure every gal has her own favorite with a similar description. I have always disliked most sports bras. Very tight, too constrictive and if they do a good job of preventing "jiggle", they are way too thick as Anemone stated, not to mention they are often like a straight jacket to remove...no thanks! By the way, I am quite busty, too.:rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I too am walking in May and am big busted. I wear two sports bras cause I need the extra support.

Tried sports bras. Hate them - hot, constricting, difficult to get on and off. My normal bras are fine on Camino.

I've got a Jockey bra similar to this one that can pass as a bathing suit top. It's not underwire though.

Yeah, wouldn't be supportive enough. Bras sized as S, M, L, etc have never worked for me either.

As far as passing for a bathing suit top, I've got a pretty low bar for that one anyway. "Not see-thru" pretty much does it. And if I can imagine a bikini top that is skimpier than my bra (and I always can), then my bra becomes swimwear.

I was just checking out Wacoal-America.com. It actually looks very promising.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know if you can get Berlei outside Australia and New Zealand - but these are fantastic. https://www.berlei.com.au/berlei-and-serena

They are super comfortable, fasten at the back, with or without underwire and allow complete freedom of movement without rubbing. Even endorsed by Serena Williams!

I've used these hiking and walking in US, Europe and Asia and would never use anything else. Even double as a swimming top. And the black are terrific for the Camino - no going grey with washing.

I have tried both kinds and have only used sports bras for running--otherwise I find them too constricting, heavy, and hard to get into. For walking and everyday use some version of this Bali Cotton Bra is what I used for decades.

I don't know if you can get Berlei outside Australia and New Zealand - but these are fantastic. https://www.berlei.com.au/berlei-and-serena

They are super comfortable, fasten at the back, with or without underwire and allow complete freedom of movement without rubbing. Even endorsed by Serena Williams!

I've used these hiking and walking in US, Europe and Asia and would never use anything else. Even double as a swimming top. And the black are terrific for the Camino - no going grey with washing.
Berlei has quite a few styles available on Amazon in the US.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi Twirl,
My favorite bra of all time is the Arcteryx Phase SL. I used this bra on my Camino last year and I stocked up a few new ones for this year's Camino. In addition I have a couple of smartwool bras to try out, but cannot yet verify my expectations will match the results I'm hoping to see. I'm just trying to cut way back on washing and wool is said to be naturally odor resistant. We'll see. So I'm just gonna say it, I am a 36C. This info may help if you have a reference point. I never liked underwire bras or massive strap across the back. I find most sport bras hot to wear..I don't even working out and they get hot. This particular Arcteryx bra has no shoulder adjustments and is a razorback style so the straps lay in the center and not under rucksack straps. Plus, not having shoulder adjustments, which can twist and pinch under constant weight, make for a comfy fit on a hot trail. . The other thing is the material is very lightweight (1oz) and breathable. I could wash them quickly whilst in a shower. Lay them out and they're dry in an hour. I have never been fond of bras and I find this style so comfortable I barely notice I'm wearing one. This is a good time to go shopping. It's the changing of seasons and great for finding deals on-line. Lastly, they only come in brighter colors which will show through white shirts if that matters to you. It matters to me, but beats the alternative. Has anyone had the same difficulty finding a decent white bra? It's next to impossible.
Ok that's all. I wish you the best of luck. As small of a detail as a bra is...it's probably a very very important detail to most of us women.
Jennifer

I wore a favorite,very comfy plain old everyday underwire bra which was fine. By the time l reached Santiago de Compostela it seemed big and baggy in the cup due to weight loss across my chest ( & everywhere else) so l tossed it and bought a 'pretty' new one ( & new clothes too) . That felt special.

Has anyone who feels that they need extra support and not a back fastening bra thought of seeing if a maternity bra would work? They used to be front opening and very supportive without underwiring. I have to admit that my 'babies' are now 45 and 43 years old so styles might have changed completely.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I haven't worn this on a Camino yet but I have worn it to work out or even all day. I've found it to be quite comfortable and will be bringing on my next Camino - Natori Cotton Underwire Sports Bra. You can buy it in Amazon and I've also found them at Nordstrom Rack. Depending where you buy it the price ranged from about $27-36.

I hate you. I thought I liked you, but no..... :D

My girls demand underwires, all the @#$%@^#& time. Still searching for that elusive underwire, non-uniboob, easy to put on, quick-drying, wicking, comfy, super-supportive-but-not-massive, light-but-opaque-can-pass-for-swimwear, sports bra.

I've passed a point where I just need to stop being such a cheapskate and go get a professional fitting at a real lingerie shop.
LOL. Being child free helped with the boobs.
Good luck with that bra search. Have you looked the Brooks line (used to be sold under Moving Comfort) The Hot Shot fits all those requirements.

LOL. Being child free helped with the boobs.
Good luck with that bra search. Have you looked the Brooks line (used to be sold under Moving Comfort) The Hot Shot fits all those requirements.

Ah, but I am child-free as well. Except for my furry children. I blame a lot of stuff on my cats, but I don't think I could get away with blaming them for my unruly boobs.

The Brooks, alas, is not underwire, and tops out at 38C. I top out, so to speak, at a wee bit more than that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
......Lastly, they only come in brighter colors which will show through white shirts if that matters to you. It matters to me, but beats the alternative. Has anyone had the same difficulty finding a decent white bra? It's next to impossible.
Ok that's all. I wish you the best of luck. As small of a detail as a bra is...it's probably a very very important detail to most of us women.
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer. Scientific fact A red bra under white will. It show. I kid you not.

Hello twirl90,
Whatever you choose, take into consideration the showering situation: small space, humid and difficult to get dry with a itsy bitsy towel.
My sport bra did not have the clips on the back as the one suggested by Tillyjones . I had the kind that you put over your head and slide down to position... HORRIBLE!!!! I wish I had clips.
PS: soft straps with nothing to dig into your shoulders from the backpack pressure.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Triumph sells three different styles of sports bras. I have found that the medium one (the name has changed over the years, but it's usually called something like "medium impact") works really well for me. It has mesh under the arms (helps when it's hot), is all nylon (dries fast), and the straps are adjustable and cope well with weight loss. It fastens in the back, but lies flat and is not uncomfortable under a backpack.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello twirl90,
Whatever you choose, take into consideration the showering situation: small space, humid and difficult to get dry with a itsy bitsy towel.
My sport bra did not have the clips on the back as the one suggested by Tillyjones . I had the kind that you put over your head and slide down to position... HORRIBLE!!!! I wish I had clips.
PS: soft straps with nothing to dig into your shoulders from the backpack pressure.

Yes indeed. Especially a small bathroom or space during prime shower time without a fan can make this take a time consuming and irritating task. . The moisture make you feel like you've gone swimming even after drying off. It's such a pain. Still, I will stick with my favorite bra though. I live in it longer than the time I spend negotiating its positioning as it clings to my body and twists itself into knots. It dries fast washes well and feels like I'm wearing nothing while maintaining support.
Jennfer

Hi Ladies! I have a Title Nine Brooks Rebound Racer bra that I bought when I first began planning my Camino trip. I’ll be going September-October and taking the Camino Frances. I understand the spiritual discipline of the pilgrimage and I am beginning to understand that planning and packing are also a spiritual discipline. How much do you absolutely need for your worldly possessions and how much should they weigh? To that end my TN bra weighs 4 oz. and I’m wondering what might be available that weighs less. My regular size is 34 DD so I need some support but as many of you pointed out I won’t be doing jumping jacks. And before you think that 4 oz is really light, my husband found a bathing suit (not a speedo) that weighs 2 oz and it doubles as shorts.

Yes, spiritual discipline is needed for planning and packing as many pilgrims often have to pray for the funds they need to purchase high end gear they need/want before leaving home!:D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, spiritual discipline is needed for planning and packing as many pilgrims often have to pray for the funds they need to purchase high end gear they need/want before leaving home!:D
Thank you for bringing up the issue of stewardship. You are right that many are unable to afford the high end items. It’s also important to know when to try to get that high end item and what you can slide on. My mother always told me to never skimp on my feet and my breast :)

Hi Twirl,
My favorite bra of all time is the Arcteryx Phase SL. I used this bra on my Camino last year and I stocked up a few new ones for this year's Camino. In addition I have a couple of smartwool bras to try out, but cannot yet verify my expectations will match the results I'm hoping to see. I'm just trying to cut way back on washing and wool is said to be naturally odor resistant. We'll see. So I'm just gonna say it, I am a 36C. This info may help if you have a reference point. I never liked underwire bras or massive strap across the back. I find most sport bras hot to wear..I don't even working out and they get hot. This particular Arcteryx bra has no shoulder adjustments and is a razorback style so the straps lay in the center and not under rucksack straps. Plus, not having shoulder adjustments, which can twist and pinch under constant weight, make for a comfy fit on a hot trail. . The other thing is the material is very lightweight (1oz) and breathable. I could wash them quickly whilst in a shower. Lay them out and they're dry in an hour. I have never been fond of bras and I find this style so comfortable I barely notice I'm wearing one. This is a good time to go shopping. It's the changing of seasons and great for finding deals on-line. Lastly, they only come in brighter colors which will show through white shirts if that matters to you. It matters to me, but beats the alternative. Has anyone had the same difficulty finding a decent white bra? It's next to impossible.
Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer. I'm interested in your recommendation, and I am the same size. What does 36C translate to in S,M,L,XL?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ladies! I have a Title Nine Brooks Rebound Racer bra that I bought when I first began planning my Camino trip. I’ll be going September-October and taking the Camino Frances. I understand the spiritual discipline of the pilgrimage and I am beginning to understand that planning and packing are also a spiritual discipline. How much do you absolutely need for your worldly possessions and how much should they weigh? To that end my TN bra weighs 4 oz. and I’m wondering what might be available that weighs less. My regular size is 34 DD so I need some support but as many of you pointed out I won’t be doing jumping jacks. And before you think that 4 oz is really light, my husband found a bathing suit (not a speedo) that weighs 2 oz and it doubles as shorts.
I love my ExOfficio crossover bras. I loved them so much I bought several and wear them daily with uniform polo shirt (law enforcement). Definitely not for dressing up since they don’t provide the uplift and shape we all love :)
I’m a low end C cup and it holds my girls very nicely. But I don’t think that a set of DD would fit in them. You can try them at REI. My alternate choice is going braless which I do on wilderness backpacking trips, but not appropriate for public places since they are thin.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.