• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Brad's Camino

Brad Chatellier

Hello All,

My trip is underway and I´m currently at in Roncesvalles, staying at the youth hostel. I got into SJPdP on Thursday the 11th, checked in with the wonderful pilgrim´s office staff, and had one of the best meals of my life at Hotel Ramuntcho right there in the old town... spent the night too. As I am still getting over a nasty flu, I decided to take it easy the first day and I set out on the Route Napeleon to Orrison on Friday. SO glad I did it that way. The portion to Orrison is the most strenuous in terms of climb and I´m not sure I wouldn´t have collapsed on the way otherwise. The new rufuge in Orrison is LOVELY (call for reservations a must) and I made friends with a nice group of Aussie ladies. After a much needed night´s sleep we set out this morning in heavy mist and after 8 hours (at a very leisurely pace I might add), we ended up in Roncesvalles. I highly recommend the Route Napoleon and the steep shortcut down through the forest at the very end... so lovely. At any rate I´m quite ready for another night of sleep. I´ll be happy to pass any useful information along to those in need. Many gracious and wonderful pilgrims so far... I´m loving it.

Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Brad on the Camino

Hola Brad,
SOOOooooo..... pleased to hear that you have loved the first day and that your cold is improving. (It sounded really ACUTE!!!)
Hav a wonderful journey!

Hi Brad, great to hear from you!

After so much planning and preparation, I bet it is nice to actually start walking. Buen camino and enjoy!

I will move this post over in the "Camino Diaries" section, so that if you post another message along the way, you could just reply to this message so that your thoughts along the way would all be in one thread.

Un saludo,
Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Made it to Pamplona... just wanted to post a note that there is a detour on the Camino before you get to Pamplona. After Zabaldica the route to Trinadad de Arre is blocked due to a landslide and you are routed around Arre toward Pamplona along a concrete, riverside park path. Very long stretch of brutal concrete, although the scenery is nice. It was not very well waymarked (but by no means difficult... had to ask once or twice).

All the concrete and the extra distance (I was intending to stay in Arre) added up to my first blister (small on the bottom of my left pinkie toe) and I´m going to spend an extra night here in Pamplona to rejuvenate in an inexpensive private pension.

The camino is lovely this time of year, but those with allergies beware, there is so much pollen blowing everywhere... it sometimes looks like fields of cotton. But overall I am still thrilled to be here and most of the small hardships have just made me smile.

More later.

Good show Brad

Keep it up ! The way to Burgos is wonderful. I also stopped one day to really visit Pamplona. I did the same in Burgos.
Take care of that blister.

I am with you and anxiuous to read the rest of your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where are you Brad ?

It has been a long time since we heard of you Brad.

Please tell us where you are; you may be back home and in an air conditionned room by now ! :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.