A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Braga to Santiago via an alternative way.

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Caminho Xacobeo da Geira e dos Arrieiros

Hi there has been a push over recent years to get this route recognized as an official route for 2021. This started in 2009 but only in the last 2-3 years has the infrastructure, signage and places to stay started to improve on both sides of the border.. I saw a figure that 300 people walked it last year,they expect 500 this year. An albergue de peregrinos is expected to open in two months in Caldelas. The Spanish side has patchy marking and the Portuguese side you will need GPS but that could change soon. A really good website is www.debragaasantiago.com
If you go to notices on the website and look at the entry for 20/5/2019 at the moment 4 videos are downloaded for the 1st 4 etapas, there will probably be more over the next few months.

Last edited:

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Here is a video from 2014. The peregrinos roughly follow the route that is the official route now, they used GPS links that the relevant group's were giving out.
it doesn't go all the way to Santiago but shows the bulk of this route.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Thanks for showing the Camino da Geira e dos Arrieiros!
Hello, are you one of the co-authors to the guide for this route? If so I saw that the Gallego and Espanol editions had a 2019 print, is there going to be a revised edition for the English language guide this year?

Many congratulations to you and your companions for your efforts in achieving official recognition for this route.

Suevo

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho da Geira e dos Arrieiros - Jun 2019
Last week we finished the Caminho de Santiago da Geira e dos Arrieiros through 9 stages from Braga to Santiago de Compostela:
  • Braga -Terras de Bouro
  • Terras de Bouro - Os Baños Riocaldo
  • Os Baños Riocaldo - Castro Laboreiro
  • Castro Laboreiro - Cortegada
  • Cortegada - Berán
  • Berán- Soutelo de Montes
  • Soutelo de Montes - Codeseda
  • Codeseda - Pontevea
  • Pontevea- Santiago de Compostela
Going through ancestral routes, we followed the Geira (ancient Roman military road from Braga to Astorga), crossed the heart of the Peneda-Gerês National Park, bathed in natural hot spring waters, walk through a "lunar landscape" framed by mountain peaks around us, crossed multiple forests, streams, lagoons and waterfalls of crystalline waters, we continued through idyllic landscapes along the banks of the River Minho, enjoyed the small mountain villages full of history until we reached Santiago de Compostela.

The beauty of the landscape along all the way is overwhelming, being only surpassed by the extreme sympathy of the people that we met. This path is probably the purest and most genuine of all the Caminos de Santiago that defies and challenges physically and spiritually the pilgrim from the very beginning of his journey, making it a unique and unforgettable experience.

Here is a video with some photos of every stage of our Camino:

In my blog I’ll put more detailed information about it.

To all those who have made this ancient and historic Camino a reality, my congratulations and sincere thanks.

Last edited:

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Thank you for posting this, I hope to follow in your footsteps much later in the year. Any advice or recommendations will be gratefully received.

Buen Camino

Suevo

Camino(s) past & future
Hi,

When we did the Camino, it wasn't all marked with the traditional yellow arrows, some parts are still missing (I think they are marking it at this moment) so a GPS track it's very advisable and there aren't albergues along the Camino, the first one it's planned to open this month at Caldelas, but you'll find nice small hostels and hotels at those nice villages with lovely people. From our stages, the more challenge ones were Os Baños Riocaldo - Castro Laboreiro and Berán- Soutelo de Montes, but you can plan different stages according to your pace.

I'll try to update my blog with more detailed information about each stage in the following weeks. You can also find usefull information at this site debragaasantiago.com, I highly suggest also the book From Braga to Santiago by the “Geira Arrieiros’ Way” (Jeira-Ribeiro-Minhoto): Pilgrim's Guide To The Camino from Carlos da Barreira and Henrique Malheiro it was our precious guide along the Camino.

This is an amazing Camino, and I'm sure you'll love it. There is a lot of wonderful mountain hiking along this Camino, if you plan to do it in the Winter keep in mind that it will be even more challenging.

Bom Caminho

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Hi,.

When we did the Camino, it wasn't all marked with the traditional yellow arrows, some parts are still missing (I think they are marking it at this moment) so a GPS track it's very advisable and there aren't albergues along the Camino, the first one it's planned to open this month at Caldelas, but you'll find nice small hostels and hotels at those nice villages with lovely people. From our stages, the more challenge ones were Os Baños Riocaldo - Castro Laboreiro and Berán- Soutelo de Montes, but you can plan different stages according to your pace.

I'll try to update my blog with more detailed information about each stage in the following weeks. You can also find usefull information at this site debragaasantiago.com, I highly suggest also the book From Braga to Santiago by the “Geira Arrieiros’ Way” (Jeira-Ribeiro-Minhoto): Pilgrim's Guide To The Camino from Carlos da Barreira and Henrique Malheiro it was our precious guide along the Camino.

This is an amazing Camino, and I'm sure you'll love it. There is a lot of wonderful mountain hiking along this Camino, if you plan to do it in the Winter keep in mind that it will be even more challenging.

Bom Caminho
@Suevo you did the caminho that many Suevos probably also did in 6th century from Braga (the capital) to North to control the Gallaecia kingdom.:cool:

Suevo

Camino(s) past & future
@Suevo you did the caminho that many Suevos probably also did in 6th century from Braga (the capital) to North to control the Gallaecia kingdom.:cool:
That's true Pelegrin :) and as I am from Braga, it was quite special follow this route. This is truly an amazing Camino.

Bom caminho!

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Braga was capital of Galicia for much more time than Santiago. More than 300 years.

Edni

Camino(s) past & future
Geira Arrieiros
Hi. I will be walking the route later this month, 5 days starting from Ribadavia. Fingers crossed.:)

Suevo

Camino(s) past & future
Buen Camino Edni, I'm sure you'll love it. If you need some specific information about the route that I can help, I'll be glad to share it.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Isca-camigo Camino da Geira e dos e Arrieiros 8
OLDER threads on this topic
Braga to Santiago etapa by etapa.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%