• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brand new corn on my heel - any tips?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I should have known everything was going a bit too smoothly. In short: I felt a bit of a hot spot or pressure pinch on my heel last night on my way to bed, after I'd been sitting around working all day and not put any pressure on my feet. Assumed it was a mild flare-up of the Plantar fasciitis, something I am used to and know how to deal with. No problem.

I thought. But I felt that sore spot while trying to sleep and again when I woke up, still without having put any pressure on it. When I ran my thumb over the heel this morning it felt like two small lumps, one more pronounced than the other, smack in the middle of my heel. Both of them feel the way my one other corn feels when I haven't picked it out (yes, I can do that and do a few times a year). The big problem is the location - under my heel! I am going for a two week camino in March and am worried that this will not just give me pain (that I can handle) but possibly make me change my gait and lead to other problems.

Any suggestion about what to do to stop it happening, stop it getting worse, or stop it from hurting when I walk on it? Obviously I could go to a podiatrist but the spots are so small it feels a bit premature. The skin feels normal apart from that slight raised bit with the pinch/hot spot feel. Grateful for any tips!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I should have known everything was going a bit too smoothly. In short: I felt a bit of a hot spot or pressure pinch on my heel last night on my way to bed, after I'd been sitting around working all day and not put any pressure on my feet. Assumed it was a mild flare-up of the Plantar fasciitis, something I am used to and know how to deal with. No problem.

I thought. But I felt that sore spot while trying to sleep and again when I woke up, still without having put any pressure on it. When I ran my thumb over the heel this morning it felt like two small lumps, one more pronounced than the other, smack in the middle of my heel. Both of them feel the way my one other corn feels when I haven't picked it out (yes, I can do that and do a few times a year). The big problem is the location - under my heel! I am going for a two week camino in March and am worried that this will not just give me pain (that I can handle) but possibly make me change my gait and lead to other problems.

Any suggestion about what to do to stop it happening, stop it getting worse, or stop it from hurting when I walk on it? Obviously I could go to a podiatrist but the spots are so small it feels a bit premature. The skin feels normal apart from that slight raised bit with the pinch/hot spot feel. Grateful for any tips!

I would see a podiatrist versus getting medical advice here.

Agreed and I will, but there must be many out there who have had to live with and walk with one or several and I would love to hear how they dealt with it. Luckily it sits just within the shock pad of my Tevas, so at least it will be cushioned while I am wearing sandals!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Anemone del Camino : I have stairs in my house so I stand on a step, facing upwards, and place the soles of my feet so that the heels are hanging over the edge. Then I slowly and gently push the heel of the PF foot down over the edge to stretch the plantar tendon (?) and at the same time bend the knee on the other leg so that doesn't get over stretched. Gently, but firmly and slowly stretch the tendon, then ease, then repeat. About 5-10 secs at a time, five repetitions, so it only takes a minute. I do this once or twice a day normally, more if I have a problem. Also when I am out and about I step on and stretch on pavement edges, stones etc. Walking up to Rabanal in September with another PF sufferer we found lots of medium sized stones sticking up from the path and made sure we stepped on them with the middle of the sole, even rocking back and forth a bit on them to get a gentle stretch en route. We looked wobbly and drunk but our feet were happy!

Oh, and never ever walk on hard floors in bare feet! Get Crocs, sandals, anything that cushions the heel and gives support (and gently stretches) the sole of the foot.

I hope that helps, obviously you should speak to your GP or health professional if it is really bad, but this is what my GP taught me - and she's a walker and suffers from PF herself.

Thank you for these tips. I have an appointent in 3 weeks with the podiatrist. I think what I have may have something to do with a stress fracture as the pain now (after 5 months) really comes from the side of the foot - a bone I broke 7 years ago. I see the GP next week - will try to convince him to send me for xrays. I need to walk the Camino, I cannot have a bad foot ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For the corn:- check with your pharmacy but I think that Bazooka might get rid of it/them. It is for veruccas but can be used on corns as well. The time needed should easily be OK for your camino if you use the 'Bazooka Extra'.
Buen Camino

@Tia Valeria : Thanks, that's great advice and something I can try at once, but will check with the knowledgeable people in the pharmacy first. Waiting to see a podiatrist for possibly a false alarm will take weeks and I need my walking time!
@Anemone del Camino : Good luck at the podiatrist and getting your X-rays! PF shouldn't be coming from the side, I have always had it underneath the foot and in bad cases moving up the heel where the tendon is attached to the bone. I agree; we can't have bad feet. We need to walk, often and long. Get well!

Hope it works - correct name might be Bazooka Plus, but the pharmacist will know. Ordinary Bazooka takes longer! That is the UK name, but if you are in Norway at present you could just ask about higher strength veruuca gel.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back