• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bras

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I know underwear is a very personal fit issue like shoes
but I would like to know what brands models women have liked for their wash-ability, light weight, lack of rubbing under pack straps and yet support for D cups
nanc

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Exofficio is what I used. But I think any work out bra that is tried and true will do. You worry ao much before you go about something that will dry quickly (overnight) but in the end you realize it has overnight and all day the next day to dry. Most albuergues have radiators going if the weather is wet or chilly. It just isn't an issue. So if you have something you already use and like, take that. 2 of them.

If I were you, I'd just wear whatever comfortable bra you wear at home.
Bras are lightweight enough that you only need one extra.
You're backpacking, so wearing one for a week, or changing one time during the week shouldn't be an issue.
Nobody's going to try to whiff you ::giggling::
That's what I do... just my normal bra.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have avoided workout bras that you have to pull on over your head. It is impossible to do this discretely. I would like to buy a merino wool brs but haven't found a style that suits. I would also suggest that you take a dark colour. It is very difficult to keep white items looking clean and bright when washing by hand.

Idem what Annie and Magwood say.
The workout bras are just a nuisance.
Go for your regular bra because basically that is what you are comfortable with.
Something basic with no frills works best for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yep. Just wore my comfortable, regular ones.

I generally wear underwire bras, which don't seem ideal for packing on the Camino. So I found this one: http://www.anita.com/shop/en_us/sports-bra-air-control-40ac9b.html Good support for a D cup and lots of mesh for breathability. I've been training in it and like it a lot! It's the first non-wire bra that is comfortable enough for me all day.

thanks all
the anita does look like it might be worth its price
nanc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No help to the well endowed being that I have a hard time filling an A, but I just wore my old favorite nylon Vasserette bras. They easily dried overnight. I have since found some Danskin sports bras I like and can get them on post shower but I don't think they'd dry fast. If I knew I'd always have a T plus another layer on I'd skip the bra completely like I do at home.

Agree with the others, what ever you wear on a daily basis. This being said, probably because of the sweating I got irritation where the underwire is, and still have the scar from it years later. Now I always make sure I apply an anti-chaffing product of some sort, be it ProshieldPlus which you can also use for your feet as it's a gel that gets between the toes easily, or the ones the is a stick like Body Glide. I also in the groin area after my illfated Tilley undies created a canyon there because of their super thick seam.

I also wear the normal bras I wear at home. I'm generously endowed (F cup) and have underwire which sounds like it might be uncomfortable, but is not. I've tried the "athletic" types and they are not for me - too hot, too constricting, and they actually take longer to dry than my normal nylon lace ones.

I personally found bras that attach in the front (or the seamless over-the-head types) work better for me when I backpack. When the clasp is on the back, I find it presses against the spine and chafes. I like this one: it's seamless and has no adjustment clasps on the shoulder/clavicle area where the backpack straps press in.

Alternatively, I wear a sports cami with a built-in bra when I run. I've started wearing it when I hit the trail as well. Can also be used as tank top alone (two birds, one stone, eh).

I know underwear is a very personal fit issue like shoes
but I would like to know what brands models women have liked for their wash-ability, light weight, lack of rubbing under pack straps and yet support for D cups
nanc
One thing I have learned: buy a bra with a fastening, not just the pull-over-the-head variety. When one is hot and sweaty the over-the-head type are very hard to pull off; similarly difficult to put on a damp body! So a front or back fastening is best.

One thing I have learned: buy a bra with a fastening, not just the pull-over-the-head variety. When one is hot and sweaty the over-the-head type are very hard to pull off; similarly difficult to put on a damp body! So a front or back fastening is best.
Oh by the way...in case that sounds kinky: despite my forum name I am female!

Favorite of all times for me is IBEX! Love the wool undies and sports bras. They keep you warm in cool weather and are cool in hot weather. Best of all, they do not retain odor! Other brands that have wool underwear for women are Icebreaker and, of course, Smartwool:)
http://shop.ibex.com/merino-wool-clothing/womens-seamless-underwear
You can also find Ibex brand in many other outdoor clothing stores, and at sale prices!

Ultreïa!

Mary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have avoided workout bras that you have to pull on over your head. It is impossible to do this discretely. I would like to buy a merino wool brs but haven't found a style that suits. I would also suggest that you take a dark colour. It is very difficult to keep white items looking clean and bright when washing by hand.
You don't pull them over your head, but STEP into them and pull them up. That way, it's a very discreet procedure! You can even do so lying on your bunk!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You don't pull them over your head, but STEP into them and pull them up. That way, it's a very discreet procedure! You can even do so lying on your bunk!
Does that depend on your hip to bust ratio??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I left one behind at the albergue with a pool on the meseta. I called them to see if they had found it as it was a Prima Donna at about 25% of the cost of a flight to Spain :eek:. Apparently they had not found it which got me wondering because it was not an A, B, nor another fairly common size. How many pilgrims would actually get any use from it? Oh well...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This subject is near and dear to my heart (or my boob.) On my recent Camino my girls took on a like of their own. My size D or maybe DD uniboob squeezed between the backpack straps and the fannypack became the center of every picture and every joke. I definitely am now shopping for a comfortable bra that doesn't give me a uniboob for my next Camino.
And believe sometimes your clothing doesn't dry....depends on the temperature.......wearing your granny panties on the outside of your pack is a humbling experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also wear the normal bras I wear at home. I'm generously endowed (F cup) and have underwire which sounds like it might be uncomfortable, but is not. I've tried the "athletic" types and they are not for me - too hot, too constricting, and they actually take longer to dry than my normal nylon lace ones.
I also am well endowed and I feel like my breasts are framed like a picture by my pack straps. I'm afraid I will be so self conscious on the trail. I did find that the RIBZ pack that I got seems to balance out the look a bit. How do other women deal with feeling like their bust is the first thing you will see coming down the trail? Or do I just need to get over it?

I also am well endowed and I feel like my breasts are framed like a picture by my pack straps. I'm afraid I will be so self conscious on the trail. I did find that the RIBZ pack that I got seems to balance out the look a bit. How do other women deal with feeling like their bust is the first thing you will see coming down the trail? Or do I just need to get over it?
Just get over it. Wear black.

You just need to laugh at yourself. My girls took on their own personality and I learned to pose for pictures holding my poles in front. We all look a little rough so no one else really notices. Just wear a comfortable bra that will support you but not chafe you and maybe stick to dull colored shirts. I work a bright pink walking shirt.....maybe a mistake.

You just need to laugh at yourself. My girls took on their own personality and I learned to pose for pictures holding my poles in front. We all look a little rough so no one else really notices. Just wear a comfortable bra that will support you but not chafe you and maybe stick to dull colored shirts. I work a bright pink walking shirt.....maybe a mistake.
I will just have to get over it. I want to lose 15 lbs by September, when I start my Camino. Maybe it will all come off in the right places. Here's hoping:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I'm wearing a Macabi.
Did you LOVE it or was it just Ok? I'm considering designing my own skirt by modifying a patter using rip stop nylon type material. If it turns out well, I'll post a picture

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The vision of all you ladies pulling your bras on over your feet does remind me of this great Rowan Atkinson sketch

LOL Kanga, this is good stuff!!! Only Mr. Bean could pull that off! How many of us have had to do the pull off the bra through one sleeve?

@Joodle I absolutely love the pockets. Very deep, with a zipped security inner in one, large enough for passport and wallet, and an extra inner mobile phone pocket in the other. I only occasionally use the press studs to lift the skirt (eg when its raining, to keep it dry by making it shorter than my Altus) and I found the original length too long for my taste so I shortened it to mid calf length. The fabric is supplex nylon - strong, cottony soft, and quick drying.

I would definitely buy another one but for the $40 freight charge.

Did you LOVE it or was it just Ok? I'm considering designing my own skirt by modifying a patter using rip stop nylon type material. If it turns out well, I'll post a picture
I love my Macabi's so much I now own 4. Pulled a couple of ebay last year plus hit their black Friday sale. I wear mine all the time!!!! I did find a pattern that looks pretty much like the Macabi - Butterick 3133 is pretty close. It is discontinued but you can find them easily on Ebay and Etsy.

@GreatDane I'd make something but can't find the fabric here. The closest I can get is supplex nylon mixed with lycra; not at all what I want. It seems ridiculous. Any Aussies out there who can source plain supplex nylon, send me a PM!

@GreatDane I'd make something but can't find the fabric here. The closest I can get is supplex nylon mixed with lycra; not at all what I want. It seems ridiculous. Any Aussies out there who can source plain supplex nylon, send me a PM!
I haven't found any fabrics in my end of the USA that I like either. Though it might be fun to make one in a summery calico print for just wearing - not for camino-ing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does that depend on your hip to bust ratio??
Agreed. A friend of mine suggested that method after I suffered a sports bra injury. It was even more trouble getting it past my ample butt.

I generally wear underwire bras, which don't seem ideal for packing on the Camino. So I found this one: http://www.anita.com/shop/en_us/sports-bra-air-control-40ac9b.html Good support for a D cup and lots of mesh for breathability. I've been training in it and like it a lot! It's the first non-wire bra that is comfortable enough for me all day.

The Anita is working for me too ... I got this one ... http://www.anita.com/shop/en_us/sports-bra-extreme-control-504e0e.html.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, death by underwire is the worst. I was once standing in court, making an impassioned plea on behalf of a client, when I became aware the underwire in my rather old bra was slowly but surely rising up out of its confines and poking above my neckline. Lucklily the judge was a woman, and the rest of the court room was behind me. When it got about 6 inches above my dress, and without pausing in my speech, I pulled it out. The judge did not blink. We met afterwards at a cocktail party and she told me it was one of the most amusing things she'd ever had happen in her court.

Quite off topic.

Yes, death by underwire is the worst. I was once standing in court, making an impassioned plea on behalf of a client, when I became aware the underwire in my rather old bra was slowly but surely rising up out of its confines and poking above my neckline. Lucklily the judge was a woman, and the rest of the court room was behind me. When it got about 6 inches above my dress, and without pausing in my speech, I pulled it out. The judge did not blink. We met afterwards at a cocktail party and she told me it was one of the most amusing things she'd ever had happen in her court.

Quite off topic.
But oh so funny…..I can just picture it.

Quite off topic.
What?! Those things rise up! We all make fun of US lawyers for overbillimg for a sneeze, but if those in AUS can't afford bra a year,does it mean my neighboursmto the south are really on to something? Please say it ain't so! :eek:

Hi, Try Lily of France 2401755. Three hook back closure, external underwire, padded shoulder straps. Moves with you and dries quickly. I ordered mine on Amazon and in my usual size.
Two Caminos and both are still in great shape even if the white is a bit grey. I wouldn't order white again.
Enjoy your Camino.

I went 100 % natural. I brought some sportsbras, but eventually I dropped the idea of wearing a bra at all. I don't wear the biggest size, and yes it was noticeable that I didn't wear a bra, but quite honestly I didn't care. + I got to love my small balloons a lot more than I did before. If you don't need support for your chest, as I don't, I would recommend not wearing one at all. :)

Much love from Scandinavia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Quite off topic.
O
Off topic, but very much appreciated for a good laugh on a Saturday mornig. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have used 2 pair of these http://www.mariejo.com/en/marie-jo-...black/productdetail-underwired-bra-0150012zwa and my size is 65 G. They dry quickly and keeps the boobs in place. Shoulder straps stay in place. One bad thing is that you might get a seam on top of the shoulder, i get it some centimeters back so it doesn't get right under by backpack straps. A bra weights 80 grams.

I always wear one during walking, take the other one for the evening while the other is drying after washing. The clean one is then put in the backpack and the evening one becomes the bra for the next day.

For me, a padded bra is the key: squeezed breasts between straps with nipples showing is a look I try to avoid! So I wear my regular comfortable style of bra. I came to this realisation when looking at a great pic of my husband and me walking the Tongariro Crossing in NZ. There was stunning Mt Nguarahoe in the background and the two of us bracing against the wind, nipples most prominent! Never again have I worn a sports bra while walking.

I have used 2 pair of these http://www.mariejo.com/en/marie-jo-...black/productdetail-underwired-bra-0150012zwa and my size is 65 G. They dry quickly and keeps the boobs in place. Shoulder straps stay in place. One bad thing is that you might get a seam on top of the shoulder, i get it some centimeters back so it doesn't get right under by backpack straps. A bra weights 80 grams.
Good plan.

I always wear one during walking, take the other one for the evening while the other is drying after washing. The clean one is then put in the backpack and the evening one becomes the bra for the next day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Quite off topic.
And quite funny. As a (retired) federal prosecutor, I probably would have accused you of bringing a dangerous weapon into court. :D

I never thought of even trying it. Did so today (at home) and was shocked how easy it is. No effort, no wiggling and I am neither thin nor slim-hipped. Wished I had known that last year, but better late than never. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a 9 yr breast cancer survivor, I continue to buy all my bras, including sports bras, at my favorite lingerie store designed for BC survivors in mind, but they also serve those not in the BC club too! These stores have EVERYTHING for big and small gals, including seamless bras, bras that hook in front, cotton bras, sleep bras, sports bras. PLUS their staff are experts at finding the right fit for you.

Here's one bra that I'm checking out for my camino in 2017: www.amoena.us/Products/Active-wear/spring-2015/Power-Non-Wired/Power-Wire-free-Medium-Support-Bra-Black-Grey. It's made of quick dry material, comes in black, and runs the full spectrum of sizes.

After reading this thread, I have to ask myself if it's really that important to me to wear a bra on the camino...ie. comfort vs modesty (DD cup)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back