• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bread Options?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I have to confess, that I love the Spanish bread.
The while fluffy stuff that is not unlike French Bread.
OK a different shape....

In the past, I have eaten far too much of it though.

I'm 'trying' to be a bit more health conscious these days.
And steadily losing some excess weight prior to my next Camino.
Also doing a bit of research here and there on different foods.
Nothing too serious, more just out of curiosity.

It seems, that white fluffy bread has little nutritional value
and tends to just turn into sugar in the body. :oops:

We haven't eaten it at home for decades.
We eat wholemeal, sour dough, wholegrain breads and so on.

So it got me thinking.........

I've ever only noticed white bread whilst on Camino.

Have things changed in recent years?

What would you ask for if you wanted some 'real' bread in a cafe ;);)

I must pay more attention in the bread shops!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many thanks @jungleboy .
Is it fairly easy to find these days?
In my experience, yes. I always try to get non-white bread while on camino and usually find that I can. As you would expect, the bigger the town/bakery/shop, the more likely you are to find more variety.

¡Buen provecho!

Yes, in many traditional bakeries there will be some other variety, but usually in restaurants and bars you only get the regular white stuff. In Zamora we used to get Pan Rustica, but it was basically white bread in a different shape. In Grañón, Suzanna used to make a few other non-white bread varieties one or two days a week at Panaderia Jesus. Last summer when walking we found that by stopping earlier in the day you might find a wider selection. Grocrry stores may have other bread, but often from the commercial bakery. It is still better than bread we can get here in the US.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There was a Galician bread called "broa" (a germanic word, I think) made of 100% corn, that was the bread of poor people. Now, Mercadona offers a bread called "broa" with 24% of corn that has been succesful and I think is tasty. It is rather yellow.

the best bread I ever tasted was about 5 years ago in New Zealand.
it was sold in a supermarket.
full of lots of goodies including corn.
we ate it all in the car, dry, heading back to queenstown…..

I wish I knew what it was.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I read online that Pan de masa madre (sourdough) is sold in some Carrefours and also That Mercadona does several in their store bakeries.

Last edited:
OK a different shape....

Actually, whole grain breads contain lectins (which are found in the husk part of the grain). Lectins are bad for your gut. (Also found in tomatoes, eggplant, and bell peppers along with a few other vegetables). So if you have gut problems stay away from whole grains. The grains in Europe are GMO free and generally gluten free, also. People who cannot eat the bread and pasta here in the US find they can eat them in Europe and are perfectly fine.
As far as white breads, sourdough is the best healthy option. So I wouldn’t stay away from white bread, just eat less of it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK a different shape....

Just ask. Remember that the Spanish prefer their bread fresh. So they will run out later in the day.

The grains in Europe are GMO free and generally gluten free, also.
They may be GMO free, but all forms of wheat contain gluten regardless of where it's grown.

Actually, whole grain breads contain lectins (which are found in the husk part of the grain). Lectins are bad for your gut. (Also found in tomatoes, eggplant, and bell peppers along with a few other vegetables). So if you have gut problems stay away from whole grains. The grains in Europe are GMO free and generally gluten free, also. People who cannot eat the bread and pasta here in the US find they can eat them in Europe and are perfectly fine.
As far as white breads, sourdough is the best healthy option. So I wouldn’t stay away from white bread, just eat less of it.
A person with celiac disease (celiaco) who must follow a gluten-free diet cannot eat wheat, rye, barley, bulgur, farro, spelt, triticale, einkorn, or kamut. Just as in the U.S. those grains are not gluten-free in Europe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Pan completo" got me wholemeal bread, usually in fairly small loaves.

At home I always choose seeded/grainy breads at the grocery store as I prefer them to most of our white. When in the EU I always eat the wonderful, yummy fresh white breads served in restaurants with no guilt.😋

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For calories, rather than the health considerations above, I’d suggest it’s the beer and wine that are the bigger culprits (at least for me) in regard to calorie intake. I love both, especially wine, so I have to be careful to not consume the same calories in liquid form as I do the ones I chew 😂

I too love the bread in Spain but am used to more wholegrain in my diet at home. Something I've learned recently from Zoe, the health care science company, is that you can do things to reduce a blood sugar spike. One very effective way is to take a walk after you've eaten food that gives you a blood sugar spike. So maybe on Camino don't worry too much until the evenings.

BTW not everyone gets a blood sugar spike from white bread. I know I do because as part of a trial I wore a blood sugar monitor for 2 weeks.

Ah! When you get in, shower, hang out your washing and head 'into town' and you ask, Cerveza por favor. Grande? Por favor and the barman reaches into a freezer for the glass. Then olives or crushed olives with stale bread arrive and you taste, sit back, relax and sigh a sigh of contentment. Notice another 'lost' pilgrim that you saw on the journey and gesture for them to join you, make a new friend, perhaps times through hand gestures and google. Repeat daily for as long as it takes you to reach Santiago. If something gives you the skitters, don't eat that. If black pepper gives you piles, don't take black pepper. If peanuts will kill you, prepare your own food. Life is finite. Live it, live as much of it as you can when you are able. DO NOT SAVE THINGS TO DO, WHEN YOU RETIRE. You will be too crocked to even attempt them or you won't be able to remember what you wanted to do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, my problem is that I love Spanish bread, French fries, and other assorted high carb choices like pastas and tortilla. I do well controlling my Type 2 diabetes at home since our breads are pretty blah, but it is more of a temptation in Spain. Our friend, Suzanna the baker in Grañón says that one loaf of Spanish bread feeds three at supper. Don't know if that is donativo math/rations to fill people up at supper since it is inexpensive or the norm across Spain?

Yes, my problem is that I love Spanish bread, French fries, and other assorted high carb choices like pastas and tortilla. I do well controlling my Type 2 diabetes at home since our breads are pretty blah, but it is more of a temptation in Spain. Our friend, Suzanna the baker in Grañón says that one loaf of Spanish bread feeds three at supper. Don't know if that is donativo math/rations to fill people up at supper since it is inexpensive or the norm across Spain.
I never heard of this norm. Maybe is for La Rioja. I read on Internet that they have a strong bread called " pan sobado".

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Liam, I love this video. Great for practising my Spanish! I know you were joking, but the camino is full of retirees who are not too crook, including myself.

Liam, I love this video. Great for practising my Spanish! I know you were joking, but the camino is full of retirees who are not too crook, including myself.
I would love to spend a week in their company and another week with all the people in his documentaries. Now that would be a Camino. They are like the Hands series on Irish RTE

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Side note to the discussion: American and Canadian wheat is just fine. Hard red wheat (or spring wheat) is actually high-quality and exported to European countries to make bread. Italy even uses mostly Canadian (Manitoba) wheat in their bread. It's American flour - with all it's additives and processing - that is often low quality. The protein content isn't as standardized either, which makes it harder for American bakers to make great bread with the same precision as Spanish, French, and Italian bakers.

Last edited:
Spanish bread is great. What happens when you have to limit white bread and only eat brown bread or cereal breads? I can’t remember if we ate those types of bread when living in Madrid.

Try making your own damper in the Albergue kitchen. That’s what I’m doing today at home: it’s Australia Day!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A quick type of bread, often made on the ashes of a wood fire: an Australian icon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, there has been a shift towards healthier and more nutritious bread options in recent years, including an increase in the popularity of whole grain and sourdough bread. People have become more aware of the health benefits of eating whole grains and the negative effects of consuming processed white flour. As a result, many bakeries and grocery stores now offer a wider variety of bread options, including whole grain, slow cooker bread recipe, and sourdough bread. So you might find healthier bread options in Spain now compared to your previous visits.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.