• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Break down of costs?

Darren John

Hello Everyone!!

I will be starting my 1st Camino from SJPDP on the 23rd August and plan for around 40 euros a day which should be more than plenty! But would like to know what a typical day would be like cost wise? break down of your typical daily costs from bed to coffee to food to washing clothes.

Many many thanks!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Darren, €40 a day will be ample, somedays you will spend €20 some €60. ~ Coffee? €1, a bed €10, a meal €10, a drink (or two) €? (depends on what you are drinking ;)). Clothes wash? €3 for the washer €5 for the dryer or hand-wash and spend €0. If you have and need to stick to a limited budget its very easy to do that on the Camino.

Buen camino

Bed - 5 to 30 euros depending on if your place is donativo or private
Breakfast - 3 to 10 euros depending on if you have bread and coffee or fresh squeezed juice and tortilla and ??
Lunch - 2 to 10 euros depending on if you picnic or buy the Menu del Dia which ranges from 5-10 euros depending on where you are
Dinner - 2 to 14 euros depending on if you picnic or buy the Menu del Peregrino which again ranges depending on where you are
Coffee can be from 1 to 2 euros
Fresh juice from 2-4 euros
Washing clothes from free if you handwash to 6-8 euros if the clothes are washed and dried for you by hospitalera

I budget 20 euros per day.
I eat well
I wash my own clothes most of the time
I eat my main meal at midday, taking advantage of the Menu del Dia which is an excellent meal at a lower cost than the Pilgrim Menu
I picnic most breakfast and dinner meals, buying my food along the way in the tiny tiendas
I have a coffee each morning at a bar and the occasional fresh juice when I find it

I have several blog posts about what is available as far as eating. Here is the one on lunch.
You can find breakfast and dinner posts on the sidebar.
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Everyone!!

I will be starting my 1st Camino from SJPDP on the 23rd August and plan for around 40 euros a day which should be more than plenty! But would like to know what a typical day would be like cost wise? break down of your typical daily costs from bed to coffee to food to washing clothes.

Many many thanks!!
Hi Darren, just finished my Camino Frances and I spend about €1450,00 and walked 37 day's .
Stayed 3 times in a hostel, the rest in albergues. I used the washer and dryer for my clothes wash . When you wash your clothes by hand you safe about €90,00 . I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

When I walked the camino last back in 2011 I went through maybe 1,700 euro over 34 days, an average closer to 50 euro per day. Like others have indicated some days you will spend less ( public albergue and basic pilgrim dinner ) and other days you spend more (private albergue and dinner at a restaurant with drinks).

I would budget for 50 euro per day plus I would double this for those days, in towns like Santiago or SJPdP, or any other major city, whereby you plan to stay an extra day and/or stay in private accommodation.

A simple breakdown would be (from low to high):

Bed: 8-25 euro ( public albergue, private albergue to shared private accommodation )
Breakfast: 6-10 euro ( orange juice is expensive)
Lunch: 6-20 euro ( this depends if you decide to make this the meal of the day, and how many beers you have )
Dinner: 8-20 euro ( cheap pilgrim dinner to menu ordered meals at restaurant)
Other: 10 euro (for some reason I just spent money I stuff I could not remember but it probably that extra beer)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.