• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, any recommendations for THE best breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, at a reasonable hour (i.e. AFTER 8am) and before we start walking (slowly) to Orisson? (Next year, hopefully.) Thanks! Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I assume you know that most hotels and aubergines include a continental breakfast with the room charge. Then if you want a little snack to eat while on the way to Orisson you can buy it in town before leaving. If that is not what you want to do, then you can have a snack at Hunto which is on the way up to Orisson.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I assume you know that most hotels and aubergines include a continental breakfast with the room charge. Then if you want a little snack to eat while on the way to Orisson you can buy it in town before leaving. If that is not what you want to do, then you can have a snack at Hunto which is on the way up to Orisson.

Lovely ‘autocarrot’ mistake:

”aubergines”!!!

😂

thanks for the chuckle!!

I did not have breakfast the one time I stayed there but I suspect Hotel Central has a good one. I have had huevos fritos and bacon at the restaurant across the river from the hotel at mid morning. There is nothing better than the French and Spanish eggs and thick slabs of bacon with a freshly baked baguette.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just one suggestion: if you are starting out early, it may be good to pick up snacks, lunch makings, etc. the afternoon/evening before as shops may not yet be open at the time you leave.

Hi, any recommendations for THE best breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, at a reasonable hour (i.e. AFTER 8am) and before we start walking (slowly) to Orisson? (Next year, hopefully.) Thanks! Jill
As the locals adjust to the pandemic, you will have to look around. Ask the proprietors of the albergue you spent the night in and/or ask at the Camino office. You will need protein especially on the first day. Consider carrying a sausage of some kind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well that was an interesting overall response to my simple (I thought) question of where to have breakfast in SJPdP.

Only 1 personal recommendation (Gite Bidean), and only 1 suggested recommendation (Hotel Central, plus the restaurant across the river also does breakfast). Thanks guys!

I did say in the first post that we want to have breakfast AFTER 8am. Yes, many albergues include breakfast, but it is ONLY from 6am to about 7.30am, and then they toss you out at 8am. My question is, where do we go to START ordering (a GOOD) breakfast when we get tossed out at 8am?

We will be making a LEISURELY walk to Orisson. See this thread for background:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-leisurely-start-from-st-jean-pied-de-port.67615/
As stated in the above thread there is absolutely no point whatsoever in getting to Orisson early. Mid-afternoon is a perfect time to arrive.

We always carry snacks with us - we’re hikers. The shops will most definitely be open when we leave as we don’t intend to leave early.

It seems to be VERY unusual to start walking from SJPdP after 8am. Well that’s good! It’s nice to know we’ll be doing something different from everyone else.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It seems to be VERY unusual to start walking from SJPdP after 8am. Well that’s good! It’s nice to know we’ll be doing something different from everyone else.
The three times that I've started from St Jean I started walking well after 8am - between 10 and 11:30.As you said, when stopping at Orisson there's no need to rush! I'm sure that you'll find a lovely spot to enjoy breakfast. I'm sorry, but I don't remember where I had breakfast last year. I declined breakfast at Gite Bidean where I stayed because it was too early.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first trip I stated at a BnB. I just asked for a late breakfast and they were happy to do so. It just depends on where you stay.

Well that was an interesting overall response to my simple (I thought) question of where to have breakfast in SJPdP.

Only 1 personal recommendation (Gite Bidean), and only 1 suggested recommendation (Hotel Central, plus the restaurant across the river also does breakfast). Thanks guys!

I did say in the first post that we want to have breakfast AFTER 8am. Yes, many albergues include breakfast, but it is ONLY from 6am to about 7.30am, and then they toss you out at 8am. My question is, where do we go to START ordering (a GOOD) breakfast when we get tossed out at 8am?

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-leisurely-start-from-st-jean-pied-de-port.67615/
As stated in the above thread there is absolutely no point whatsoever in getting to Orisson early. Mid-afternoon is a perfect time to arrive.

We always carry snacks with us - we’re hikers. The shops will most definitely be open when we leave as we don’t intend to leave early.

If you do get to Orisson early it has a terrace with a magnificent view on which to enjoy lunch and a cold beer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How about this place, which has a breakfast buffet for EUR 9 until 10:30? The reviews say the quality and selection are pretty good.

French pastry and amazing coffee at a bakery, I don't recall the name, but sooooo good!

You can check out restaurants on TripAdvisor and filter by which meals they offer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m sorry I don’t remember the name of the tiny corner café on the main street in St. Jean... all I remember was it was on the right side of the street as you walk out of the old town. I stayed at the municipal albergue close to the Citadel, and I think the corner café was along the “busy” stretch, near the church that’s on your left as you head to Orisson. Like you, I am a big fan of a later start and a leisurely full breakfast. That’s not really how they do breakfasts in that part of Europe though, so it’s hard to find. Anyway this café had maybe two tiny tables inside and a couple outside. There was no formal menu but when I asked politely, the proprietor made me the most amazing mushroom omelette. I savored it at the table outside, watching the few late-starting pilgrims stroll by, enjoying the fresh springtime air, thinking Wow I’m sitting in a small medieval village in the Pyrenees eating an omelette made just for me by a Frenchwoman, and I’m about to start a sacred journey on foot all the way across Spain. I am well and truly blessed.

For an indulgent breakfast try Hôtel des Pyrénées. The plates just kept coming. Only don’t tell them you don’t drink coffee! They were still talking about ”no cafe” as we were leaving.
50C7E4F0-2A78-46C7-BD7E-A645A41A7712.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back