Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking down the 1st Stage

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest that you make your own stages and stop as you feel the need, using the information in either the CSJ guide or a site like gronze to see where there is accommodation. You do not have to walk the 'stages' given, they are there IMO as a useful way to split up the directions. The only unbreakable stage is between Grandas de Salime/Castro and A Fonsagrada as there is no accommodation between them.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Livinha,

I walked from Oviedo to Escamplero the first day. I stayed in the municipal albergue. It was a nice walk to ease into the camino. The next day I walked to Cornellana.

Buen Camino

Petro

Laurie, sorry to say, but it is 30km from Oviedo to San Juan, and just under 25 to Grado. At least that is what Ersoki says.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie, sorry to say, but it is 30km from Oviedo to San Juan, and just under 25 to Grado. At least that is what Ersoki says.

Hi, Anemone, ahhh, once again we see how the distances are notoriously unreliable. I used mundicamino, which says 21 to Grado and 3+ from there to San Juan. So, while the exact distances may be unclear, I would say that Oviedo to Grado is a very do-able day for most. There is not much in the way of elevation gain, at least not in comparison to what awaits after Grado! The extra push to San Juan may be hard, especially if it's in the mid afternoon sun and with the added weight of food bought in Grado to cook at night. And if the new municipal albergue in Grado is full, there is a good cheap option in that hotel/pension on the highway out of town.

If I were starting out and were unfamiliar with my own abilities and the terrain, I would go with the thought that I would get myself to Escamplero and then decide whether the additional +-11 kms seem reasonable. Does that seem like good advice to you, Anemone?

Let's see... Cicerone says it's 29.5, and the Pere Gerard has it as 27.1km, so Municamino looks like the outlier.

I first walked to Esclampero, via Naranco where I spent some time, but I must have walked at least 4 hours. Jet lag kicking in. Then to San Juan I walked from 7 am to 2 pm, with one 20 minute stop for lunch in Grado.

For those coming from the Norte, it may be a quicker day, but with jetlag, and my Geisha steps, there is no way I would have made it. That hill past the Coca Cola machine in Grado is a beast!

This is not correct, there is a beautiful albergue between Grandas de Salime and A Fonsagrada, in Castro. Great dinner as well:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/albergue-residencia-juvenil-de-castro
That is why I said Grandas/Castro.
The only unbreakable stage is between Grandas de Salime/Castro and A Fonsagrada as there is no accommodation between them.
Folk need to be aware that Castro is a Youth Hostel type albergue and if booked for a youth group will not have rooms for pilgrims. We stayed at Castro and the meals are great, but it is best to check that they are open/available. Otherwise it is as I said, nothing until A Fonsagrada.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My appologies, but I don't understand why one would put two towns in together as if they were the same.

As far as not getting a bed because it's the juvenil, you risk not getting a bed in all other albergues on the Camino regardless of who gets there before you, group of youth or pilgrims. In fact, this albergue is open to anyone. And, like many other alberges, you can reserve ahead and make sure you get a bed.

I put them together because they are so close and then nothing until A Fonsagrada.
If there is a youth group booked in then they take precedence so phoning is advisable. This is different to groups (or individuals) walking and taking a chance on beds. I don't know if they allow non youth-walkers in when they have a youth group booking as it is a 'juvenil' not a 'pilgrim' albergue and they only have 4 rooms (with 4 beds in each) and I presume that they cannot put pilgrims in the same room as the youngsters even if they have a spare bed.

As a side note the juvenil at La Isla on the Norte has a sign outside saying that it does not tke pilgrims, only those who are with the groups of 'juvenil'. We can be thankful that Castro takes pilgims when possible.

Do what feels best to you-- As said above, you can see how you feel in Escamplaro (I think very roughly 13 km, please no one get out a yardstick); you will have some km under your belt and a little down and up. Usually I say 'you can always turn around' but in this case I'd say think in Ezcamplaro if you want to go ahead or not, since there is another down then up ahead of you enroute to SJdV
Buen Camino (she says, wishing she were going)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Livinha,

I walked from Oviedo to Escamplero the first day. I stayed in the municipal albergue. It was a nice walk to ease into the camino. The next day I walked to Cornellana.

Buen Camino

Petro
This is great information as I am hoping to ease in a little more slowly too. Thank you!

There are no set stages. We did Oviedo to Escamplero for our first day and would do it again. There are also private rooms above from the restaurant (a 4 min. walk from the municipal albergue) that you can reserve ahead of time.

Last edited:
There are no set stages. We did Grado to Escamplero for our first day and would do it again. There are also private rooms above from the restaurant (a 4 min. walk from the municipal albergue) that you can reserve ahead of time.
Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back