• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking in new boots

I decided that my old pair of hikers were not supportive enough for a long trek so I just bought a new pair of light hikers. Here is my problem: I walked for 2 hours in the new boots and developed a small blister on my little toe. Since then I have walked 2 more times and the blister area is tender so I feel the spot while I walk. My toe does not appear to be affected from the recent walks but I am concerned.

I want to have enough time to break in my boots for our Camino in mid-October but I am worried that I should change boots now before I lose too much time.

Anybody have any insight about this problem?

Nicole

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
When I bought my boots, the wonderful salesman showed me what looked like a rounded metal crow bar stuck in a floor mounted stand. He said if I got blisters to bring the boots back and showed me how he could stretch the boot a little bit by placing it over the metal rod and stretching the boot in key places. Maybe this would work for you. I think especially if the blister were on the side of your toe or at the top--on the bottom of the toe I don't think this would work. If you bought the boots at a hiking/camping store, they might have this same tool and perhaps could do this for you. Fortunately for me, I didn't have any problems with blisters so I can't verify that this worked but it seemed to make a lot of sense. Good luck to you.

Hello Nicole,
My experience is similar to viajero's. The store where I bought the boots was willing to work with me and stretch them a bit here and there over a period of a few weeks. You definitely don't want your boots to be tight in any spots. What bothers you a bit after walking a couple of hours will likely bother you a lot after a few days. Most peoples' feet swell a bit by the end of a long walking day so you want to be able to allow for that. In addition, you may run into some cooler weather in October and want a somewhat thicker sock. So I recommend going back to see if they can help you out where you bought them.
It is also worth thinking about wearing a good blister protector for awhile (or even a bandaid). What you don't want is a sensitive toe at the beginning of your walk. I have been lucky and walked the full camino without blisters, but on days when a toe felt a bit sensitive or hot I always used a bandaid as a preventative measure.
Buen camino
cecelia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also had my shoes stretched around the toe area while I was wearing them in and it really helped. The other issue is that for walking I first bought shoes that were too small. Once I had socks on and allowed for feet to swell, I needed a size larger than usual.
Margaret

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I thought I had sized the boots correctly when I bought them because I did wear a heavy sock while trying on but you bring up a good point about foot swelling. I have since walked a couple of more hours and I know I need to take them back for some streching of the right boot. I have no trouble with the left boot as yet.

Hello, Nicole.

When my old boots died, after several Caminos, I had to decide to buy a new ones.

My first day I only could walk ¡¡3 km!! wearing it. And the second day, 12 km.

Several walking journeys later, I've been able to walk 46 km a day. So, you will be able to walk your Camino with your boots when you can walk 20-25 km, when your whole walking day finish because something different to your feet.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.