• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking in shoes

xcountryrider

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016) June
We start the Camino 9 June and I still haven't settled on shoes. I've never had to break in shoes. I've always put them on and they worked great, but that was as a runner. Walking is confounding me. Anytime I walk, my feet are burning after a mile and a half. Is that part of breaking in the shoes? Will the burning sensation eventually go away? I've read about hot feet on the Camino, but that was after many miles, not two. I'm currently on my sixth pair of trial shoes. I've tried trail running shoes and ankle high hiking shoes. I have a 4E foot, so my options are limited.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have never broken in a pair of running shoes. If they fit well, I just take off in them. Besides, how would you break in running shoes? There is no leather to speak of on them.
I don't know why your feet would be burning after walking in running shoes. I've never experienced that. Are you wearing multiple sock layers?
One thing I can definitely say is that a good pair of trail running shoes and thin, synthetic running socks (single pair) is all you need for the Camino. That and a wee bit of Vaseline on the feet in the morning. Three Caminos and that combo worked for me.
Asics makes some good trail runners in wide widths.

I have never broken in a pair of running shoes. If they fit well, I just take off in them. Besides, how would you break in running shoes? There is no leather to speak of on them.
I don't know why your feet would be burning after walking in running shoes. I've never experienced that. Are you wearing multiple sock layers?
One thing I can definitely say is that a good pair of trail running shoes and thin, synthetic running socks (single pair) is all you need for the Camino. That and a wee bit of Vaseline on the feet in the morning. Three Caminos and that combo worked for me.
Asics makes some good trail runners in wide widths.
The trail running shoes were the closest to working, but the heel box on the left shoe was apparently too big and my heel was moving around. I tried different lacing techniques, but to no avail. I've tried walking with and without silk liners. I'll try the Vaseline.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The trail running shoes were the closest to working, but the heel box on the left shoe was apparently too big and my heel was moving around. I tried different lacing techniques, but to no avail. I've tried walking with and without silk liners. I'll try the Vaseline.
Well, my experience on the Camino, especially during the summer is that your feet will definitely swell a bit after a long walking day, so you got to have a bit of room in the shoe. The Vaseline is just a plain old good remedy to the friction caused by your feet against the shoes/socks. If your feet sweat too much in the shoe that causes friction. Thus the reason to wear trail runners. Running shoes are made to handle that and they dry faster if you get rained on. I even washed my shoes a few times at the albergue and laid them out in the sun to dry.
I just like a single thin sock. It just seems to work so well for me when I do the Camino and when I run.
One thing for sure is to not look at the Camino Frances as a hike. It's not. It's a bunch of long walks through civilization.

I have to say my shoes never hurt. I did buy a size bigger though after I learned how my feet swell after a half marathon. Did you get fitted? I also wear the injini sock liners under my smart wool socks. They help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We start the Camino 9 June and I still haven't settled on shoes. I've never had to break in shoes. I've always put them on and they worked great, but that was as a runner. Walking is confounding me. Anytime I walk, my feet are burning after a mile and a half. Is that part of breaking in the shoes? Will the burning sensation eventually go away? I've read about hot feet on the Camino, but that was after many miles, not two. I'm currently on my sixth pair of trial shoes. I've tried trail running shoes and ankle high hiking shoes. I have a 4E foot, so my options are limited.

Something doesn't sound right here.

I think 'breaking in' shoes is really a throw back to the days of leather shoes that had to be softened through use. These days IMHO, it's more a case of your feet getting used to the shoes.

My Salomon boots were great from day one. Like bedroom slippers.

I'm sure those more experienced will offer great advice, but here's my 2 cents worth.

1. Make sure the shoes/boots are professionally sized/fitted.
  2. Ensure you are wearing your walking socks at the time. 2 pairs. A thin inner (synthetic) and a thick outer (wool).
  3. Make sure the shoes are half to a full size bigger than you would normally wear. This allows for the double socks, plus swelling.
  4. Watch some youtube videos on lacing shoes/boots for walking. Different techniques might help.
  5. When trial walking. make sure you Vaseline your feet, around/between the toes and heels in particular. Lots of it.
  6. Consider going to a Physio. A good one. Get them to video you walking, to check your gait. They may suggest Orthotics. Or maybe even an issue with your gait, that can be rectified with exercises. My wife Pat was at our Physio today. We found her Plantar Faciitis is caused by her gait, due to certain muscles not being strong enough!
Can't think of anything else at this stage :oops:

But consider this.....

You have tried 6 pairs of shoes/boots, all with the same result.
The common denominator? You and Your feet!
Maybe it's not the shoes? Get to a good Physio ;)

Re the 'burning'. Are your feet just 'hot' or painful? All feet get hot. Friction is going to cause heat and discomfort. Maybe the shoes are too big and your feet are sliding around?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We have just returned from walking the Camino Ingles. I bought my walking boots the day before we left and it was a HUGE mistake. For the whole pilgrimage I suffered from terrible blisters and I have to say that it did rather spoil the journey. Compeed and plasters were applied daily but didn't really do much. I also foolishly wore socks straight out of my drawer at home. This being said my wife and children also had brand new walking shoes/boots and they did not really suffer at all! Lesson learnt.

my feet are burning after a mile and a half

I have found a similar problem with my trail runners. Not sure if it's your whole feet or just toes that are burning.
According to my podiatrist, the burning sensation could be from excessive compression of the toes and restricted blood flow and/or friction, possibly from runners that are too small or feet that have swollen in the heat OR circulation problems, when for some reason there is a restriction in the blood flow to the toes. The more you walk the greater the need for increased blood flow. There can be a mild toxic build up which can lead to burning and pain in the extremities.
If it's your entire feet, then it could be a nerve related issue - neuroma - where the pain usually starts in the ball of the foot and moves through to the toes.
My solution is to start of in my trail runners (if it's hot) wearing my toe socks (very thin) and then after 7-10 kms, I swap my runners for my sandals (leaving my toes socks on) and the burning sensation dissipates almost instantly. It took a while to figure out that my feet were swelling in the heat. I also have merino socks to wear over the toe socks if it's cold to start off.
We have been training in 30 degree heat atm, but no doubt the Camino will be considerably cooler in late April.
In hindsight, I possibly should have bought runners that were half a size bigger to allow for the swelling.
Maybe a visit to a podiatrist might help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Something doesn't sound right here.

I think 'breaking in' shoes is really a throw back to the days of leather shoes that had to be softened through use. These days IMHO, it's more a case of your feet getting used to the shoes.

My Salomon boots were great from day one. Like bedroom slippers.

I'm sure those more experienced will offer great advice, but here's my 2 cents worth.

1. Make sure the shoes/boots are professionally sized/fitted.
  2. Ensure you are wearing your walking socks at the time. 2 pairs. A thin inner (synthetic) and a thick outer (wool).
  3. Make sure the shoes are half to a full size bigger than you would normally wear. This allows for the double socks, plus swelling.
  4. Watch some youtube videos on lacing shoes/boots for walking. Different techniques might help.
  5. When trial walking. make sure you Vaseline your feet, around/between the toes and heels in particular. Lots of it.
  6. Consider going to a Physio. A good one. Get them to video you walking, to check your gait. They may suggest Orthotics. Or maybe even an issue with your gait, that can be rectified with exercises. My wife Pat was at our Physio today. We found her Plantar Faciitis is caused by her gait, due to certain muscles not being strong enough!
Can't think of anything else at this stage :oops:

But consider this.....

You have tried 6 pairs of shoes/boots, all with the same result.
The common denominator? You and Your feet!
Maybe it's not the shoes? Get to a good Physio ;)

Re the 'burning'. Are your feet just 'hot' or painful? All feet get hot. Friction is going to cause heat and discomfort. Maybe the shoes are too big and your feet are sliding around?

I also thought of this common denominator thing, but I am sure hoping that is not the case. It would be a greater problem to address. :)

2 things have helped me - the advice from my chiropractor to get "Super Feet" insoles. They cradle my heel and help prevent my foot from slipping forward. Second is playing around with how I tie my shoes (and adjusting them a couple of times throughout my walk) - http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm. The more I up my miles (still training for my Camino) the more the burning lessens after time.

There are some people that don't recommend Vaseline.
Watch the video below, download and read the report.

There are some people that don't recommend Vaseline.
Watch the video below, download and read the report.
"The Vaseline Report"....ha ha
Why doesn't she just explain the negatives on the video? I wonder what's she's trying to sell?
I'm no podiatrist, but I will say that Vaseline worked great for me on all three Caminos and on my runs back home. Kept my feet in great shape (I never experienced any foot problems besides fatigue) on the Camino and eased chafing on me privates.

"The Vaseline Report"....ha ha
Why doesn't she just explain the negatives on the video? I wonder what's she's trying to sell?
I'm no podiatrist, but I will say that Vaseline worked great for me on all three Caminos and on my runs back home. Kept my feet in great shape (I never experienced any foot problems besides fatigue) on the Camino and eased chafing on me privates.
The lady ain't selling nothing. Read the report before scoffing.
She's talking sense. She also offers a further report, free, gratis and for nothing on blister prevention. She's a trained podiatrist unlike you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
She's talking sense. She also offers a further report, free, gratis and for nothing on blister prevention. She's a trained podiatrist unlike you.
Wow...didn't know you were on her payroll. Sorry. ;)

I read the Vaseline report. Don't bite me, but these are my thoughts....

Even amongst 'experts' there are always differing views.
Her 4 reasons 'sound' ok at first. But she is talking about the use of lots of Vaseline all over the foot. And not replacing it through the day. (I replace it at every break). And not to use it because of grit. I don't get grit in my boots...
I was a bit wary watching the video, and suspected what was coming. I too am an online marketer ;) She uses a common formula in the flow of her video. To get you interested, to download the report, make her case etc. It's also a technique to get you to subscribe to her marketing list. You have to 'opt in' to get the report.

So, to the real reason for her video.....

Which is to sell you blister patches :oops: Read the 'blister prevention report too'..... That's where she does the sales pitch.

I am sure the patches are great. And I'm sure she believes 100% in what she is saying.

But having walked 40 days using Vaseline myself. (I'm not 100% sure she has) I found that Vaseline worked for me :)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Country Rider,

had the same problem when starting to train and wondered how I would ever be able to be able to walk 800 km - my solution was professionally made orthotics. No more burning.
Good luck,
Linda

Another thing that helps is when you can and where you can, soak your feet in ice cold water at the end of the walking day. Water as cold as you can stand it, and I try for about a five minute soak. It really seemed to help ease the soreness.
Foot massages help too. If you don't have a really good friend or significant other to massage them, you can do it yourself. Also keep your toenails trimmed. You can get some nasty blood blisters on your toes from the nail digging in on downhill portions.

I think everyone on the forum *tries* to talk sense, ha ha!

For blister prevention, I think that --as they say-- your mileage may vary. I appreciate it that those who are out walking 24k per day for 30-40-50 days at a time are willing to share their experience. Sometimes that can be helpful. BTW, back from Camino (flew in last night), and got no blisters this time around! My secret? Body Glide on my feet every single morning. When I ran out, Secret Stick Anti Perspirant applied liberally. No sweat, and lots of softening ingredients.

My last four days, my boots imploded (came apart at the seams), and I had to buy a pair of walking shoes--Hi Tech. The salesperson assured me that the shop did not have my size (think I bought 43's?) but I dug around and found one in a box, and another one to match it in the window. My walking friend gave me a thin pair of Injinji sock liners--which worked great since my wool socks made the shoes feel tight. Along with my "Secret" regimen and an additional blister pad--Ergo?? Edes?--I got through my journey without too terribly much pain, despite being in brand new shoes.

Buen Camino!

Hi Country Rider,

had the same problem when starting to train and wondered how I would ever be able to be able to walk 800 km - my solution was professionally made orthotics. No more burning.
Good luck,
Linda
Thanks, Linda. If I am unable to resolve it with shoes, I will do the same thing and hope that works.

I think everyone on the forum *tries* to talk sense, ha ha!

For blister prevention, I think that --as they say-- your mileage may vary. I appreciate it that those who are out walking 24k per day for 30-40-50 days at a time are willing to share their experience. Sometimes that can be helpful. BTW, back from Camino (flew in last night), and got no blisters this time around! My secret? Body Glide on my feet every single morning. When I ran out, Secret Stick Anti Perspirant applied liberally. No sweat, and lots of softening ingredients.

My last four days, my boots imploded (came apart at the seams), and I had to buy a pair of walking shoes--Hi Tech. The salesperson assured me that the shop did not have my size (think I bought 43's?) but I dug around and found one in a box, and another one to match it in the window. My walking friend gave me a thin pair of Injinji sock liners--which worked great since my wool socks made the shoes feel tight. Along with my "Secret" regimen and an additional blister pad--Ergo?? Edes?--I got through my journey without too terribly much pain, despite being in brand new shoes.

Buen Camino!
Congrats on your camino! I have used Body Glide for long distance running. Hadn't thought about it for my feet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i did the camino two years ago - wonderful experience - but for the feet- blisters - yes marino socks, used Vaseline, glide.... I want to go back out. Have tried five pairs of walking boots and walked sea level and I get is burning feet and blisters - without a pack. Wondering if running shoes or sneakers as we'd call them is the way to go on the way? what about wetness? Buen Camino.

I just finished reading "Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes" by John Vonhof, who, though not a doctor, is a lifelong trail runner and a volunteer medical aid provider at "numerous sporting events around the world."

Based on his book, there appear to be more ways to prevent and treat blisters and other foot problems than I could count. He discusses the use of Vaseline as a blister preventive and treatment, but there are other products on the market that do the job better and less greasily, in the author's experience.

However, he does stress some basics:

Fit is everything. Try on your prospective walking sandals/shoes/boots at the end of the day, when your feet are a bit swollen and wear the socks you plan to use for the "event." Get a size larger than you think you will need to give your feet room to swell. Wear the shoes as much as possible to identify any problems (hot spots, looseness) before your walking tour starts. He says that leather boots do need a breaking-in period; synthetics should fit correctly from the get-go.

Strengthen your feet and ankles before you go by walking, using a wobble board and doing other exercises.

Blisters are caused by a combination of heat, friction, and moisture. If you can eliminate at least one of those conditions, you won't develop blisters.

If you feel a hot spot developing, stop immediately and treat it with tape, lubricants and/or lubricant patches. Don't keep walking until a full-blown blister develops.

Keep toenails short and smooth -- your feet will thank you when you walk steep downhill trails.

Keep foot skin soft and supple. He writes that some racers/walkers swear by their calluses, but if a blister should happen to develop under a callus, then you're in for it, as draining and treating a deep blister under a hard callus is difficult and painful.

He recommends carrying a minimal foot-care kit with you, either homemade or commercially produced.

Keep in mind that all this is from a book, not from personal experience, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of what he recommends. It is, however, a good book to read before the Camino, IMO.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Sounds like you might need some cushioned inserts.

I just finished reading "Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes" by John Vonhof, who, though not a doctor, is a lifelong trail runner and a volunteer medical aid provider at "numerous sporting events around the world."

Based on his book, there appear to be more ways to prevent and treat blisters and other foot problems than I could count. He discusses the use of Vaseline as a blister preventive and treatment, but there are other products on the market that do the job better and less greasily, in the author's experience.

Fit is everything. Try on your prospective walking sandals/shoes/boots at the end of the day, when your feet are a bit swollen and wear the socks you plan to use for the "event." Get a size larger than you think you will need to give your feet room to swell. Wear the shoes as much as possible to identify any problems (hot spots, looseness) before your walking tour starts. He says that leather boots do need a breaking-in period; synthetics should fit correctly from the get-go.

Strengthen your feet and ankles before you go by walking, using a wobble board and doing other exercises.

Blisters are caused by a combination of heat, friction, and moisture. If you can eliminate at least one of those conditions, you won't develop blisters.

If you feel a hot spot developing, stop immediately and treat it with tape, lubricants and/or lubricant patches. Don't keep walking until a full-blown blister develops.

Keep toenails short and smooth -- your feet will thank you when you walk steep downhill trails.

Keep foot skin soft and supple. He writes that some racers/walkers swear by their calluses, but if a blister should happen to develop under a callus, then you're in for it, as draining and treating a deep blister under a hard callus is difficult and painful.

He recommends carrying a minimal foot-care kit with you, either homemade or commercially produced.

Keep in mind that all this is from a book, not from personal experience, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of what he recommends. It is, however, a good book to read before the Camino, IMO.

Thanks for this excellent thorough response! m

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I always hear one of John Vonhof's maxims whenever a thread on foot problems come up.
What works for you may not work for the next person and what works for you now may not work for you next time. But what works for you may help some people and work for you for a long time! We are each an experiment of one.

Can thoroughly recommend this book - it's been my foot bible for years. The wobble board is a good strengthening tool and I drive my hubby nuts in the evenings balancing about on it. It's also a useful tool for trying out new footwear.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back