• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking up the 40 km from Mora to Toledo

peregrina2000

Staff member
The stage from Mora to Toledo is a long one, nearly 40 kms. Thanks to @Doughnut NZ and his map skills, we can now suggest two alternatives. The routes have been plotted to avoid any dangerous crossing over the autovía (we have ignored several options involving what could be dangerous cloverleaf exit crossings). Both give you manageable days in the 20s.

1628683760994.png

The map shows the official Levante in green.

There are two alternatives, one a bit longer, both of which leave the Levante in Mora and rejoin the Levante in Cobisa.

The alternatives are in purple (Mora - Orgaz - Sonseca - Ajofrín - Cobisa) and red (Mora - Ajofrín - Cobisa)

Via Sonseca
Day 1. Mora to Sonseca. 20 km. Two hotel options. Hostal La Perdiz or Hostal Café Greco.
Day 2. Sonseca to Toledo. 25 km

Via Ajofrín
Day 1. Mora to Ajofrín. 20 km. Hostal Jalisco. A phone call (+34 925 39 07 81) discovered a special pilgrim rate of 30 € with breakfast.
Day 2. Ajofrín to Toledo 21 km.

@doughnut has made files for both alternatives and will post them. A million thanks for all his work.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also wanted to add for future reference that there is another way to break up the stage, with a 4.5 km detour to Las Nieves. This one has already been discussed on @albertagirl’s planning thread.

Leave the camino at Nambroca. From Nambroca to Las Nieves is 4.5 kms. That would make for a 26 km day from Mora to Las Nieves, and about the same for Las Nieves to Toledo (backtracking to Nambroca). Not a bad way to cut the stage in half even though it adds about 9 or 10 km total. I think everyone agrees that it is now impossible to walk directly to Toledo from Las Nieves, and that the old route was changed when the autovia was built.

Places to stay in Las Nieves (on booking.com as well).

Hotel Las Nieves

Villa Marín Toledo

I hope we get some first hand forum feedback soon!

The stage from Mora to Toledo is a long one, nearly 40 kms. Thanks to @Doughnut NZ and his map skills, we can now suggest two alternatives. The routes have been plotted to avoid any dangerous crossing over the autovía (we have ignored several options involving what could be dangerous cloverleaf exit crossings). Both give you manageable days in the 20s.

View attachment 106569

The map shows the official Levante in green.

There are two alternatives, one a bit longer, both of which leave the Levante in Mora and rejoin the Levante in Cobisa.

The alternatives are in purple (Mora - Orgaz - Sonseca - Ajofrín - Cobisa) and red (Mora - Ajofrín - Cobisa)

Via Sonseca
Day 1. Mora to Sonseca. 20 km. Two hotel options. Hostal La Perdiz or Hostal Café Greco.
Day 2. Sonseca to Toledo. 25 km

Via Ajofrín
Day 1. Mora to Ajofrín. 20 km. Hostal Jalisco. A phone call (+34 925 39 07 81) discovered a special pilgrim rate of 30 € with breakfast.
Day 2. Ajofrín to Toledo 21 km.

@doughnut has made files for both alternatives and will post them. A million thanks for all his work.
For those who would like to see these routes in Google Maps I have a couple of URL's. If asked how to open them on your phone/computer then choose Google Maps.

Shorter, northern route:

Longer, southern route:

If you would like these routes in KML or GPX format then send me a private message with your email address and I will email them to you.

Both files assume that you already have a file with the Levant route in it.

Edit (2021-Aug-12): For anyone who has viewed the Northern Alternate route. I have fixed an error in this map. The URL that accesses the correct information remains the same as I edited the map in place. If you managed to download the Northern Alternate route before today then you will need to download it again to get the correct map.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those who would like to see these routes in Google Maps I have a couple of URL's. If asked how to open them on your phone/computer then choose Google Maps.

Shorter, northern route:

Longer, southern route:

If you would like these routes in KML or GPX format then send me a private message with your email address and I will email them to you.

Both files assume that you already have a file with the Levant route in it.

Edit (2021-Aug-12): For anyone who has viewed the Northern Alternate route. I have fixed an error in this map. The URL that accesses the correct information remains the same as I edited the map in place. If you managed to download the Northern Alternate route before today then you will need to download it again to get the correct map.
I have changed the Northern Alternate route. Please download the file again if you would like the latest version. The Southern Alternate remains the same.

One further comment about the Northern Alternate route. I have downloaded this track onto maps.me, hoping that I have ended up with the corrected version. But maps.me indicates nothing in the village of Villaminaya, about halfway along the Northern Alternate route to Ajofrin, except for a direction change onto Calle Sonseca. For information about facilities in Villaminaya, including a restaurant described as "top-rated" a grocey store, etc., refer to Google maps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used the kml and gpx files of @doughnut to see those alternatives in IBERPIX and GoogleEarth. Really it is fine job.

The Northern option is:
Mora - Villaminaya 10 km, no way marked
Villaminaya - Ajofrin 10 km, no way marked
Ajofrin - Cobisa 13 km marked as Camino Manchego
Cobisa - Toledo 10 km marked as Camino Manchego
Total 43 km, 50% of them marked

The Southern options is:
Mora - Orgaz 12 km, no way marked (Orgaz has a castle)
Orgaz - Sonseca 10 km marked as Camino Manchego
Sonseca - Ajofrin 4 km marked as Camino Manchego
Total 49 km, 75% of them marked
If we stop in Ajofrin instead of Sonseca, we can make a 1/2 km shortcut, as the two hostals are not in the center of Sonseca.

Any way, with @doughnut's tracks it is not a problem to walk the no marked parts.

On Google maps I detected a ''casa rural Ana Paredes'' in Villaminaya, but with no telephone information. If interested, may be the ayuntamiento (Tne. 925 345 001) can inform.

Buen Camino

I used the kml and gpx files of @doughnut to see those alternatives in IBERPIX and GoogleEarth. Really it is fine job.

The Northern option is:
Mora - Villaminaya 10 km, no way marked
Villaminaya - Ajofrin 10 km, no way marked
Total 43 km, 50% of them marked

The Southern options is:
Mora - Orgaz 12 km, no way marked (Orgaz has a castle)
Orgaz - Sonseca 10 km marked as Camino Manchego
Sonseca - Ajofrin 4 km marked as Camino Manchego
Total 49 km, 75% of them marked
If we stop in Ajofrin instead of Sonseca, we can make a 1/2 km shortcut, as the two hostals are not in the center of Sonseca.

Any way, with @doughnut's tracks it is not a problem to walk the no marked parts.

On Google maps I detected a ''casa rural Ana Paredes'' in Villaminaya, but with no telephone information. If interested, may be the ayuntamiento (Tne. 925 345 001) can inform.

Buen Camino
@peregrina2000 phoned Hostal Jalisco in Ajofrin and they are offering beds to Pilgrims for €30 per person per night. In addition, booking.com is showing Hostal Jalisco as fully booked but when @peregrina2000 phoned they had rooms available so please don't just accept what you see on booking.com.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@peregrina2000 phoned Hostal Jalisco in Ajofrin and they are offering beds to Pilgrims for €30 per person per night.
This significant difference in price has caused me to reconsider my use of booking.com for making reservations. Unfortunately, I feel that I risk going without a bed if I do not make a booking, and I cannot find adequate contact information for most of the places that I want to stay, nor do I feel that my Spanish is adequate to be able to book on my own if with only a telephone number. This is ridiculous. For my first several caminos, I didn't even have a phone, or any means of contact aside from going to the front door, or desk and announcing myself as a peregrina. I also find it very funny. Maybe I shall just take my chances.

This significant difference in price has caused me to reconsider my use of booking.com for making reservations. Unfortunately, I feel that I risk going without a bed if I do not make a booking, and I cannot find adequate contact information for most of the places that I want to stay, nor do I feel that my Spanish is adequate to be able to book on my own if with only a telephone number. This is ridiculous. For my first several caminos, I didn't even have a phone, or any means of contact aside from going to the front door, or desk and announcing myself as a peregrina. I also find it very funny. Maybe I shall just take my chances.
Try using Google Translate with email or a message via WhatsApp. I don't use WhatsApp so I can't give detailed advice on it but most Spanish accommodation providers seem to use it and you just need their phone number.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back