• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking up the long stages from Cervera de Pisuerga to Puente Almuhey

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been in email contact helping someone out with stages on the Olvidado, and thought I would highlight the options for shortening the two long stages Cervera to Guardo (39) and Guardo to Puente Almuhey (31, but long because of the ascent, and the inevitable desire you will have to stop and relax and chat with the wonderful villagers in Caminayo!).

These were not my ideas, I got the suggestions from @alansykes and @omicko. They have been mentioned on other Olvidado threads, but I thought I would highlight them.

Currently, the way marked from Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo is 35km. It takes you along the main road and through the village of Cubillo de Castrejón. Wikiloc tracks here show you that route. But I think you are better served to make it a little longer, to get off the side of the road. When I walked two years ago, there was some arrow confusion as the route came down from the mine, crossed the RR tracks and stayed along the road. But I took some faded arrows to get back over the tracks and wound up on much nicer and quieter route. . Just remember that you can have a much nicer, quieter and more interesting walk by staying on the “other side” of the railroad tracks. I think this set of tracks shows that alternative — not far at all from the road, but much quieter. Anyway, both options take you to Santibañez de la Peña, where there are rooms (Alan stayed at Bar Mylo).

That makes the first day from Cervera about 26.

Day 2, walk the 13 into Guardo and continue on to Velilla del Río Carrión, which is about 6 km beyond Guardo. Pensiones there, but I don’t have any specific names.

Day 3, Velilla to Puente Almuhey is about 26. Great ascent, lovely ridge walking, descent into the beautiful village of Caminayo, where any one of the permanent residents will open up the Centro Social and make coffee, serve a snack, etc. There is a road route from Guardo to Puente Almuhey, which is only about 16 kms, but I have done them both and can tell you there is absolutely no comparison. Unless the weather is awful, I would highly recommend the alternative. Not sure if the Puente Almuhey albergue has re-opened, but if not, the touristic apartments in town are five star and open to pilgrims at a very economical price, about 15 or 20 per person. The restaurant to which they are attached is also fabulous.

The alternative I describe here adds a day to the stages, but who can complain about adding a day when you are on the Olvidado?!

Hope this will make some forum members less concerned about long stages. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been in email contact helping someone out with stages on the Olvidado, and thought I would highlight the options for shortening the two long stages Cervera to Guardo (39) and Guardo to Puente Almuhey (31, but long because of the ascent, and the inevitable desire you will have to stop and relax and chat with the wonderful villagers in Caminayo!).

These were not my ideas, I got the suggestions from @alansykes and @omicko. They have been mentioned on other Olvidado threads, but I thought I would highlight them.

Currently, the way marked from Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo is 35km. It takes you along the main road and through the village of Cubillo de Castrejón. Wikiloc tracks here show you that route. But I think you are better served to make it a little longer, to get off the side of the road. When I walked two years ago, there was some arrow confusion as the route came down from the mine, crossed the RR tracks and stayed along the road. But I took some faded arrows to get back over the tracks and wound up on much nicer and quieter route. . Just remember that you can have a much nicer, quieter and more interesting walk by staying on the “other side” of the railroad tracks. I think this set of tracks shows that alternative — not far at all from the road, but much quieter. Anyway, both options take you to Santibañez de la Peña, where there are rooms (Alan stayed at Bar Mylo).

That makes the first day from Cervera about 26.

Day 2, walk the 13 into Guardo and continue on to Velilla del Río Carrión, which is about 6 km beyond Guardo. Pensiones there, but I don’t have any specific names.

Day 3, Velilla to Puente Almuhey is about 26. Great ascent, lovely ridge walking, descent into the beautiful village of Caminayo, where any one of the permanent residents will open up the Centro Social and make coffee, serve a snack, etc. There is a road route from Guardo to Puente Almuhey, which is only about 16 kms, but I have done them both and can tell you there is absolutely no comparison. Unless the weather is awful, I would highly recommend the alternative. Not sure if the Puente Almuhey albergue has re-opened, but if not, the touristic apartments in town are five star and open to pilgrims at a very economical price, about 15 or 20 per person. The restaurant to which they are attached is also fabulous.

The alternative I describe here adds a day to the stages, but who can complain about adding a day when you are on the Olvidado?!

Hope this will make some forum members less concerned about long stages. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie & other Olvidado experts,

The Ayuntamiento in Guardo doesn't open until tomorrow morning. Should I book private accommodation in Guardo this evening, or do you think I can count on the albergue being open and accessible when I arrive tomorrow?

The Ayuntamiento in Guardo doesn't open until tomorrow morning. Should I book private accommodation in Guardo this evening, or do you think I can count on the albergue being open and accessible when I arrive tomorrow?

Are you sure it’s a municipal albergue? I’ve WhatsApped the number I have for them, when it was a private mountaineering-oriented albergue and will let you know if I hear something.

This is the. number I have, btw. 664 49 53 34.

I know LT stayed there recently so maybe she will have more up to date info.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I stayed in the Albergue recently. It's not municipal or geared towards pilgrims but were very responsive and accommodating. This company just took over about a month ago. A big place! There was no permanent reception but someone came to let me in. I'd call in advance as it's more a place for big groups - just to be sure it's not booked out by a camp or something. Email and phone number in photo:

Screenshot_2023-07-09-16-50-35-118_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks señoras, I don't know why I assumed it was municipal... I used WestKirsty's number above and they answered: "sin problemas" 😁!

I stayed in the Albergue recently. It's not municipal or geared towards pilgrims but were very responsive and accommodating. This company just took over about a month ago. A big place! There was no permanent reception but someone came to let me in. I'd call in advance as it's more a place for big groups - just to be sure it's not booked out by a camp or something. Email and phone number in photo:

View attachment 151975
Thanks so much for that update. Ender really needs to get going on a new version of the guide. :p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks señoras, I don't know why I assumed it was municipal... I used WestKirsty's number above and they answered: "sin problemas" 😁!

I should note that it's not in the city centre but past it, and up a hill (just what we all want at the end of a long stage!). I think it adds a km to your day.

I was happy I went to the supermarket first and then to albergue so I didn't have to do the hill a second time!

They have a microwave and little coffee machine you can use in a common area but no fridge etc. (the kitchen there is industrial). Also a pool table if you have company and are so inclined!

I should note that it's not in the city centre but past it, and up a hill (just what we all want at the end of a long stage!). I think it adds a km to your day.
And of course, for your added enjoyment, it is on the “regular” Olvidado, but about a km from the start of the “mountain alternative” through Velilla and Caminayo.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back