• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaks during walks.

martijnverheul

Tommorow we will start our pilgimage, but i still have a little question about taking breaks during the walk, there are a couple 29+km etapps. so what would be approx a nice time to have a little break during the day, after howmany hours of walking.

Thx in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Everyone is different but I always try to have a break around every 2 hours. If you start walking at 6h30 you might find a cafe-bar open at 8h30 where you can have a coffee/tea/chocolate break. If not, stop and take your backpack off at least and have a stretch. A further 2 - 2/5 hours and you might want to stop for lunch before everything closes down for siesta - sometimes between 1pm and 5pm.
The terrain will always determine how long to walk. If it is a long, straight, easy path, you might feel strong and not need a break until you've walked for 3 hours.
Play it by ear - let your body tell you when to stop and when it does, listen!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Martin, take breaks whether or not you feel you need them to prevent injuries in the long run. It's nice to take off your shoes and socks and wiggle your toes every 2 or 3 hours, like Sil says. And in the evenings, look for the basins that some alburgues have, and give those tootsies a cold soak! It'll do wonders!

Also, please don't feel that you must complete each 'stage' as it is written in the guidebooks!
There are many "in between" places to stay, and often, by staying "in between" stages, you are able to stay in places with fewer pilgrims.

Last night, we looked through our notes from our last Camino. We found we walked between 6 to 8 hours per day. There were a few days we only walked 4 hours, maybe because we wanted to do some "touristing" in that place.

One time I caught the flu and we stayed in a private hostal for 3 days while I recovered so as not to pass along my flu to other pilgrims via crowded refugios.

Just go at your own pace... no need to plan too exactly.
Let the Camino carry you along... you'll be fine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bar-hop, Camino-style. Except for the first couple of days & the odd day here & there after that, you'll be going through towns every 5-7 kms. Each with a bar open to the pilgrim trade. So, if you feel like taking a short break, stop at the bar, get a coffee, use the facilities, sit down & yak with everyone else, then get back on the road. :)

Kelly

I'll echo what everyone has said about the restorative power of breaks. As someone whose nature is not of the "restful" variety, it has taken me a while to get into the routine of taking breaks, and I now realize how important it is. I try to take one at least every three hours.

The only caveat I'd add to what others have said about the frequency of bars and cafes, is that one of the most important parts of my break routine is to take off my shoes/boots and socks, which might not be appropriate especially if you go indoors. Many walkers have told me that they couldn't imagine taking off their boots during the day for fear they would never get them back on -- actually the opposite is true, your feet shrink and breathe and feel much much better when you get the footgear back on.

Wishing you a buen camino, Laurie

Yes - get that footwear off regularly!! just for a few minutes, and when you put your socks back on put them on the opposite feet - this way you lessen the chance to get 'hot' points that can become blisters .. your feet will love you for the care you give them.

the other thing about breaks is that it is easy - common - to get into a 'plough ahead' mental state .. but if you take breaks on a hill you can look back - and you will absolutely amaze yourselves at how far you have come - and the energy you get from just that is enormous.

About the cafes though - only my opinion, but I do disagree about the coffee .. one can quickly become caffeine dependent and then one's stamina and equilibrium becomes defined by the next cafe not the camino and one's spirit - not a good thing really, and then there is the cost - a few cafes a day for weeks and weeks ... the sums add up!

The other thing is, about stamina and breaks and all that - always walk at your own pace and never ever try to walk even 0.00000005% faster than you want just to keep up with someone - it will break you very quickly.

but do get that footwear off and wriggle those toes :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Br David....don't spoil my fun...I adored them cafe con leche's and at about one 50 a cup was a cheap and very enjoyable bit of much deserved luxury en route...Anyway lets not forget the duty we have to put something back into the local economies we are tramping all over... 8)

Instead of warning folks off coffee, perhaps we should tell them that under no circumstances are they to drink Orange or Lemon Kas. No no no no no!

That way, there's more for me. :twisted:

Kelly

True! All true! - but I'm a tea man and for a man to drink tea in spain is to be a complete wimp, might as well carry a pink rucksack .. I'll go for the orangina (sorry WolverineDG) ... and it is true that the low cost is really cheap when placed against the sitting and watching and sharing - I withdraw. :wink:
Though - I gave up caffeine a couple of months back and I am a changed man (but not become too dull I hope)

I have deleted the rest of this post as it was supposed to be pasted to the 'new Age Bores' thread :oops:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mystics, druids, witches, lost souls - - - all during a half hour break on the camino. Must be something that happens when the boots come off!! :D

I have found that the every-two-hour approach is the best for me. After a strong start about 7.30, it is time to take a few minutes at the first village café after 9.00, and then admire the string of pilgrims toddling behind one, calling on encouragement and cheer to them. The strongest friendships are born from those cups of coffee and plates of pan tostada taken after walking into a café sodden with two or three solid hours of morning rain.

Spiritual not religious? I fear that I respond by suggesting that there is no real difference but that is perhaps because I can be annoying at times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also agree that breaks are a smart idea - there's nothing better than a cafe con leche break about 2 hours into your morning walk. Something to look forward to, especially when the morning air is a touch brisk. I must admit that I found stopping for breaks afterwards a bit more difficult. I'm not normally competitive by nature, but I couldn't help but feel that I was 'getting behind' every time I took a break and saw a steady stream of people pass me by. It wasn't necessarily the race for a bed that I was worried about, I guess I can't really explain it, but I just couldn't relax, felt a bit guilty resting. So, don't do what I did, and take frequent breaks to rest your feet and enjoy the scenery and contemplate what a wonderful journey you are on!

Breaks are so important - for the legs of course but also to enjoy the way. I met many people who were racing from one place to the next - at busy times maybe its necessary to secure a bed ... but otherwise whats the rush?..once you get to the albeurge you have plenty of time and often there is little to see in the smaller villages so why not enjoy the countryside instead of rushing past it.I break alot , I leave early ( you will be awake early anyhow )and stop whenever I feel like it or see a nice place- not for too long, sometimes to eat/drink, sometimes just to sit in a nice spot and enjoy the solitude, birds singing, whatever. Enjoy the way, don't rush it :D

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back