• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brexit and the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
This is far more important than a simple political move by a member of the EU and this post has nothing to do with politics, Brexit Yes Brexit No. The realities of many Camino routes have been marked by the entrance of many British nationals as owners of restaurants, gites in France, hotels, and service providers. This has been a heartening move since suddenly we find millions of French peopl;e who CAN speak English as competition tightens. However, the draft agreement which is far from being approved in the British parliament, contains some encouraging words"
Freedom of movement
The draft document provides protections for the more than three million EU citizens in the UK, and over one million UK nationals in EU countries to continue to live, work or study as they currently do.
Crucially, "no exit visa, entry visa or equivalent formality shall be required of holders of a valid document issued" for EU and UK nationals when crossing national boarders within the bloc.
Encouraging words but we must wait and see how the Brexit issue finally is resolved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excuse me, Brexit is political. Or am I asleep?
Of course Brexit is political, the the consequences for the Camino however have nothing to do with politics. Should the UK simply pack it up, over a 1,000,000 British nationals studying, working, or living now within the EU will be forced to return home and acquire the proper visa in order to return. Those UK nationals providing services for we pilgrims along any of the different Camino routes will disappear. Those ignoring whatever may be decided could find themselves in a position to face fines, be deported, or even become that American boogeyman, Illegal Aliens. This is reality not politics

A selection of Camino Jewellery
the choice was political
these proposals will become a reality
nobody here can influence the outcomes
the way people can move within Europe is of interest

I'm pleased to hear that we will all still be free to roam.

Ok Scruffy. Technically, I am British so maybe I just reacted, forgive me. i am waiting to see if I need to cough up €1000 to buy an Irish passport...

Are Irish passports for sale so cheap?
I thought it was only Portugal and Cyprus that sold passports for around 500.000 Euros apiece.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Crucially, "no exit visa, entry visa or equivalent formality shall be required of holders of a valid document issued" for EU and UK nationals when crossing national boarders within the bloc.
The subparagraph 2 of Article 14 of CHAPTER 1 on the RIGHTS RELATED TO RESIDENCE, RESIDENCE DOCUMENTS reads in its entirety: "No exit visa, entry visa or equivalent formality shall be required of holders of a valid document issued in accordance with Article 18 or 26:cool:.

So this line is not about tourists including pilgrims, it's about people who reside in an EU country and are British or who live in the UK and are not British. And there are conditions attached to it. I don't know whether there's anything about travelling into the EU and out of it in the draft withdrawal agreement. Somehow doubt it. Free movement of people is not about travelling, it's about studying, working or long-term residence.

For those keen on reading all 585 pages of the Draft Agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, as agreed at negotiators' level on 14 November 2018, it's here:
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/draft_withdrawal_agreement_0.pdf

I've been watching several hours of PMQs this morning. Way too early to draw any conclusions on anything.

Perhaps interesting to know on the practical side how UK residents in Spain or France are getting their information about how to prepare for any eventuality. All I know from friends and family elsewhere is that quite a few British nationals are getting a second nationality, ideally from their country of residence, or having their passport renewed if they have already a second EU (non-UK) passport. And I know that British embassies have organised information evenings for UK residents abroad but I'm not sure whether they do this everywhere.

Last edited:
BTW, from memory, an MP asked May today about the future of the EHIC (European Health) card for British people who want to travel to the EU and May replied something like we are working on it and I will write to you with details. All this is minor stuff for them at the moment. They still need to sort out and get to a firm approval of the big stuff first and that will still take time.

I didn't have a chance to say this before but my only concern at the moment would be initial technical or organisational hick-ups that could lead to longer than usual delays in a few airports, ferry ports and Eurostar train stations around the beginning of April 2019. I personally would bear this in mind if I were to make any bookings for travelling around those days.

Last edited:
This seems like another thread started for good reasons that may end badly.

I don't think (and I speak as an Englishman) that the presence of British people in and around the Camino has had much of an influence, in fact apart from the albergue run by the British CSJ I don't remember meeting a single Brit involved in Camino infrastructure.To my mind it has far more to do with so many pilgrims from around the world having English as a first or second language and it becoming a default lingua franca.

Mods please delete any of this you feel is inappropriate but my impression from watching PMQs (Prime Minister's Questions) earlier is that we're a good way from a final agreement so no chickens should be counted in either direction.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back