• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brian Sewell (1931-2015), art critic and peregrino

S

Satírico

I'm sure I am not the only peregrino to be saddened by the news of the passing of English art critic Brian Sewell, scourge of contemporary "art" and past participant of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. Not so long ago, I contributed a thread talking about camino consciousness, when and how we first heard of the road to St James. My earliest source, as far as I know today, was Brian's humorous series The Naked Pilgrim (c.2004). He retraced the camino that he made some 30 years earlier, but latterly in a Mercedes, starting in Paris and taking in Chartres, Poitiers, Orleans, Lourdes, Bordeaux, Roncesvalles, Bilbao, Burgos, Fromista, Léon, and finally riding into Santiago on horseback. Along the way Brian takes (you can get the DVD) pot shots or heaps praise on cathedral architecture, keeps a diary of his spirits as they wax and wane, gets pie-eyed on claret and has his soul flayed by the pilgrims he meets and who challenge his boozy, skeptical view of things. To the casual observer, Brian Sewell might have appeared as a reactionary snob, but a cherished memory is his contribution to a tv show undercutting the pretensions of just such people, and the camino travelogue reveals an emotional man with an unforgettable voice, somewhere between courtier and children's teddy bear.

A real character. The world is a poorer place without him. R.I.P.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been keeping an eye out for 'The Naked Pilgrim' among the repeats channels for years, and I've still never seen it. Although My knowledge of art is broadly comparable with my grasp of quantum mechanics, someone with as much passion for his subject (and strong opinions) as Brian Sewell would undoubtedly make it well worth watching...and shame me for all the cultural treasures I've casually walked past without knowing! RIP peregrino.

I've been keeping an eye out for 'The Naked Pilgrim' among the repeats channels for years, and I've still never seen it. Although My knowledge of art is broadly comparable with my grasp of quantum mechanics, someone with as much passion for his subject (and strong opinions) as Brian Sewell would undoubtedly make it well worth watching...and shame me for all the cultural treasures I've casually walked past without knowing! RIP peregrino.
R.I.P.Brian. You can get his DVD of The naked Pilgrim from Amazon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No shame, brother. I remember thinking that it would take a year to fully appreciate the cathedral in Burgos. Let's not forget all those churches which remain stubbornly closed in the morning or later. I'll brush up my Spanish and maybe next time prevail on someone to open these locked doors.
Good weekend!

He was a great connoisseur by nature and thus a most perceptive art critic, which I think would have led him, much earlier than most, to investigate the camino. His TV series was a delight. His apparent snobbery and extraordinary accent served only to disguise his love of all that comes through God's creation. I shall miss the insights of this much maligned man.

RIP Brian.
I agree with all the above comments. While he lost his faith he never forgot what it was to believe.
For those who may now watch the DVD 'The Naked Pilgrim' and feel puzzled by some of the shots, it might be worth noting that it was filmed in reverse. i.e. from Santiago back to France so the shooting schedule could film his arrival at SDC at the time of what I think was a holy year. Perhaps other members of the forum can clarify.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree a wonderful series - far too short! One of the standout memories for me is his conversation with two ladies in the street in Lourdes (from Hartlepool), (who offered to light a candle for him, and ask him 'Are you famous? Are you Elvis?') and his reflection on Lourdes as a place of pilgrimage, and his bittersweet recollection of 'the faith he used to share.' A very beautiful piece of television.
I am in Scotland today and just watched it again here.... @tyrrek @bystander
http://www.theage.com.au/tv/Travel/show/The-Naked-Pilgrim/Bordeaux-Poitiers-and-Lourdes-5000149.html
It appears the other episodes are there too.
Yes it says you have to be in Australia, but I will just mention www.hola.org and leave it to your discretion!!

Last edited:
RIP Brian.
I agree with all the above comments. While he lost his faith he never forgot what it was to believe.
For those who may now watch the DVD 'The Naked Pilgrim' and feel puzzled by some of the shots, it might be worth noting that it was filmed in reverse. i.e. from Santiago back to France so the shooting schedule could film his arrival at SDC at the time of what I think was a holy year. Perhaps other members of the forum can clarify.
Dear Seb, I wasn't puzzled by anything until I read your post. Are you saying the images of him driving are all going backwards to France? This is very disconcerting, even if he was coasting along in a car.

Here in the UK - DVD "currently unavailable" on ebay.co.uk
and on Amazon.co.uk - Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available.
Brian Sewell, great art critic, great acerbic wit who knew what the Emperor's new clothes weren't!
When asked what he thought of the Queen Mother's Memorial Gates in Hyde Park, London one word sufficed "ghastly".
Spot on.
RIP

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For anyone reading this post not familiar with the Naked Pilgrim programme, there's a 4-minute taster posted on Youtube by Ken Kelly. As a lapsed Catholic and professed agnostic myself, it touched something in me...

Here in the UK - DVD "currently unavailable" on ebay.co.uk
and on Amazon.co.uk - Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available.
Brian Sewell, great art critic, great acerbic wit who knew what the Emperor's new clothes weren't!
When asked what he thought of the Queen Mother's Memorial Gates in Hyde Park, London one word sufficed "ghastly".
Spot on.
RIP
UK-based pilgrims with London access could always borrow the DVD from the Confraternity of St James.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For anyone reading this post not familiar with the Naked Pilgrim programme, there's a 4-minute taster posted on Youtube by Ken Kelly. As a lapsed Catholic and professed agnostic myself, it touched something in me...
Indeed. Watching the longer series about the 18th century Grand Tour, you sense Brian's much more comfortable with art and carnal knowledge than pilgrim menus. Fascinating and funny.

Indeed. Watching the longer series about the 18th century Grand Tour, you sense Brian's much more comfortable with art and carnal knowledge than pilgrim menus. Fascinating and funny.
Dear Seb, I wasn't puzzled by anything until I read your post. Are you saying the images of him driving are all going backwards to France? This is very disconcerting, even if he was coasting along in a car.

Yes indeed, art and carnal knowledge are also central to his second volume of autobiography, and I am sure (I don'y have a copy but a friend who read this told me) that in that book he discusses the making of The Naked Pilgrim and explains why it was filmed out of sequence, so to speak. The friend had always been puzzled why the sea was on the wrong side in the programme.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Brian Sewell - the only person who could make Queen Elizabeth sound common!

Brilliant art critic - I wonder what will become of the workman's glove from the ruins of Guernica?

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back