• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bridge after Sacavem, any updated info?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, all,
Albertinho and others have posted about the broken wooden footbridge after Sacavem and how it will necessitate some fancy (and probably wet) footwork to navigate the area.

I know there have been a lot of pilgrims starting in Lisbon this year and just wonder if anyone can update us on whether repairs have been undertaken. I will be using that information to update the Lisbon to Porto guide this fall. Many thanks, bom caminho, Laurie

A very rare opportunity to buy an emblematic albergue that is also an art gallery.
For anyone interested in this little challenge, here is what Albertinho recently wrote on another thread. I'm copying it here to get the word out more broadly. Albertinho was responding to a question about how he crossed over without his backpack, since he said it was "doable without backpack."

We were together so I stepped over without pack, my wife handed over the packs and I helped her to get over. It was not that dramatic. It was a gap of about 4 or 5 feet .i could step on concrete blocks of what was the bridge in ancient times.
I forgot all about it but the other day I read about it again so I am not sure something changed in the mean time. It is a small rural path, following a river at the left . At the right it is all green but if youlook at Google Maps ,you'll see the town of Sacavèm is close by. Better be warned on beforehand.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Laurie.
Sorry for the late reply, but some stats work took some time.
Santarém Hostel, have increased 8% of pilgrims from Lisbon to Santiago till now, but I can not tell you the global exact increasing percentage number as there are new accommodations available now:
Albergue Santa Casa da Misericórdia and the new N1 Hostel Apartments and Suites.
The N1 Hostel owner, Miguel, goes everyday to the caminho and approaches pilgrims to stay in his Hostel N1 confusing pilgrims with the names Santarem Hostel and Hostel Santarem or saying that he is the owner of both, but N1 Hostel is the newest one and you should stay there. Attached an example of the N1 Hostel unethical attitude.
As you know, we only go to the Caminho for the Pick&Drop service when requested or when we know that a pilgrim needs help.
We will never go to caminho to convince pilgrims to stay in our Santarem Hostel (the Original one).
We have flyers and outdoors adds to let pilgrims know how to find us, as we do respect the freedom of choice!
Bom Caminho
Mario
Msg Geoff Collier.png

Last edited:
This Miguel is not a fair person by doing so .
There is only one Santarèm hostal and this hostal is in the center of the town, close by the Santarèm Tourist Information and Mario is a great hospitaleiro.
Maybe you will post a local streetplan here on the forum to get at your place !

Pilgrims of all countries... Unite.... Avoid the N1 hostal and only go for the one and only Santarèm Hostal from Mario !

Bom caminho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This Miguel is not a fair person by doing so .
There is only one Santarèm hostal and this hostal is in the center of the town, close by the Santarèm Tourist Information and Mario is a great hospitaleiro.
Maybe you will post a local streetplan here on the forum to get at your place !

Pilgrims of all countries... Unite.... Avoid the N1 hostal and only go for the one and only Santarèm Hostal from Mario !

Bom caminho
Hi Albertino.
Thank You so much for your support on clarifying the original Santarem Hostel Ownership ! It is mine, Mario not Miguel, for sure, but post a local street plan on the Forum it is a self promotion, witch I believe, it is out of the context or the purpose of the Forum.
Yes, it is a business, but respect and/or ethical attitude it is a must!!
That is why I am registered on this Forum as Santarem Hostel and not as Mario, to make it clear who we are.
For all of You that have been here and naturally become friends a big Hugh!
Bom Caminho
Mario
Santarem Hostel
P.S. Albertino, a 3 chord Blues Jam session asap please ;)

I don't think it's possible to eradicate unethical behavior, but I hope that forum members will do their part to right this wrong. Miguel and his N1 hostel may be a very fine place, but in my mind his tactics disqualify him. Here's hoping that competition in Santarem becomes fair! Mario, I know that you have gotten praise from pilgrim after pilgrim after pilgrim, all of whom love Santarem Hostel, so I would hate to see you take a big hit because of unethical competitive conduct. Bom caminho, Laurie

I don't think it's possible to eradicate unethical behavior, but I hope that forum members will do their part to right this wrong. Miguel and his N1 hostel may be a very fine place, but in my mind his tactics disqualify him. Here's hoping that competition in Santarem becomes fair! Mario, I know that you have gotten praise from pilgrim after pilgrim after pilgrim, all of whom love Santarem Hostel, so I would hate to see you take a big hit because of unethical competitive conduct. Bom caminho, Laurie
Hi Laurie, thanks for your words, but Miguel from N1 Hostel unethical attitude continues, as we have welcome pilgrims that have just reject the "pushing" Miguel's way approach. It seems a third world tourism, when a business feel the need to go to the street and "catch" people/pilgrims on the hand to sleep on their place.
But the the worst, he is still lying to pilgrims, saying that he owns both Hostels (Santarem Hostel and N1 Hostel) and as N1 is the newts one you should go there.
Again, I do not care about competition, as long as it is fair.
Going to the caminho, waiting for pilgrims, to sell accommodation and lying about it, on a third world manner, I will never do it !
That it is not the spirit of the Caminho!
Freedom of choice and Bom Caminho
Mario

A very rare opportunity to buy an emblematic albergue that is also an art gallery.
[QUwalked out of Sacavem two days ago. There were no problems with a broken wooden bridge that I can remember but there are roadworks where you cross the main road/bridge and then backtrack down to the dirt path along the river. A road worker told us where to go to get behind the road works to a path between the temporary fencing."peregrina2000, post: 335184, member: 537"]Hi, all,
Albertinho and others have posted about the broken wooden footbridge after Sacavem and how it will necessitate some fancy (and probably wet) footwork to navigate the area.

I know there have been a lot of pilgrims starting in Lisbon this year and just wonder if anyone can update us on whether repairs have been undertaken. I will be using that information to update the Lisbon to Porto guide this fall. Many thanks, bom caminho, Laurie[/QUOTE]
We walk

I also meet this guy in a green landrover. Shaking my hand and giving me flyers. He convinced me and i told him to stay at his place. I told him how many people i passed and talked to that day and he asked me if i had enough water. When i entered Santarem i found my southafrican friend and thanks to our guidebook we ended up at Santarem Hostel and had a great stay. One of my other pilgrim friends ended up at the other place and she said that she was the only one there.

I cant remember if he said anything rude or things like that but i remember having 5-10 other meeting like this on camino frances when cars stopped and peopled handed out flyers about there albergue.

Santarem Hostel had great staff, really nice beds and breakfast. I even like the little shed outside with beer and guitars. I want to spend more time here next time.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear all, looking forward to walk the CP (Central and Spiritual Variant) starting soon :)! I have a few questions. Because walking with three friends this time in stead of alone I'm focussing...
Hi, my husband and I want to stay at this monastery but we had to change our plans and are now only able to walk from Tui to Santiago, the minimum to get the Compostela. Does anyone know if this...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back