• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bridges and heights

padre eric

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
Hi All,

We are planning to walk the Camino via the Frances route. One member of our small groups has a terrible fear of bridges or steep drop offs. Does anyone have information regarding what we will be encountering? Descriptions and pictures would be great. I do apologize if there was already a thread on this topic, tried searching but didn't find one. Many thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
if there was already a thread on this topic
There is! Keep looking. :)

The bridge into Portomarin is probably the worst. There are some steep slopes in several sections, so it will depend quite a bit on what triggers the fear.

I don't have a fear of heights but the bridge into Portomarin made me nervous. It's very high with a very low parapet and quite a long crossing. Can't say I recall any really high bridges. A few going over motorways and railway lines but I guess what isn't high to someone with no fear of heights might seem like the Grand Canyon.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also have a fear of bridges. I agree that Portomarin is the worst one now (since the one at Villarente was replaced). The footbridge on leaving Portomarin was even worse than the road bridge going in, but it was closed last time I walked with pilgrims diverted over the alternative and safe road bridge nearby. Apart from those, there isn't anything too bad, but if like me you dislike any kind of motorway bridges etc there are a few other uncomfortable but short stretches. I can't think of any really bad cliffs or similar. Head down, deep breaths, remember it will be history in 5 minutes time and that there's worse on the Camino Ingles.

I, too, hate high bridges. Each time that I have walked the Camino Frances one section that I have particularly dreaded and even feared involves crossing varied bridges just before entering Leon. In the past we pilgrims walked on a narrow medieval bridge at Villarente in frightening competition with on-coming contemporary lorry traffic. The traffic usually won. Luckily in 2012/2013 a dedicated pedestrian-only bridge was added. What a relief it now is to gently stroll along this elegant low wooden way without fearing being hit or run over!

Closer to Leon amidst industrial sprawl a recent pedestrian bridge carries pilgrims high above the auto-route. When I got there in 2010 the wind was so terrific that at first I could NOT MOVE! Seeking help but seeing no other pilgrim I backed down the ramp and calmly walked into a nearby car showroom. After I explained that I needed assistance to cross the slightly astonished but very elegant manager put on his coat and took my arm. Eventually we both made it across, wind-blown and breathless! With a casual 'Adios' he further added that he had never walked the Camino and if it was all like this crossing he certainly never would! ...Now whenever I have successfully crossed this bridge I smile in great relief!!

Hi All,

We are planning to walk the Camino via the Frances route. One member of our small groups has a terrible fear of bridges or steep drop offs. Does anyone have information regarding what we will be encountering? Descriptions and pictures would be great. I do apologize if there was already a thread on this topic, tried searching but didn't find one. Many thanks.
Get EMDR therapy for your friend. I had to in order to counter my fear of flying. Can't get to Europe easily any other way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I, too, hate high bridges. Each time that I have walked the Camino Frances one section that I have particularly dreaded and even feared involves crossing varied bridges just before entering Leon. In the past we pilgrims walked on a narrow medieval bridge at Villarente in frightening competition with on-coming contemporary lorry traffic. The traffic usually won. Luckily in 2012/2013 a dedicated pedestrian-only bridge was added. What a relief it now is to gently stroll along this elegant low wooden way without fearing being hit or run over!

Closer to Leon amidst industrial sprawl a recent pedestrian bridge carries pilgrims high above the auto-route. When I got there in 2010 the wind was so terrific that at first I could NOT MOVE! Seeking help but seeing no other pilgrim I backed down the ramp and calmly walked into a nearby car showroom. After I explained that I needed assistance to cross the slightly astonished but very elegant manager put on his coat and took my arm. Eventually we both made it across, wind-blown and breathless! With a casual 'Adios' he further added that he had never walked the Camino and if it was all like this crossing he certainly never would! ...Now whenever I have successfully crossed this bridge I smile in great relief!!

It was pouring rain and driving wind when I had to cross that! Funny, I even remember the car dealership! Heights don't bother me at all, but yes, that was a pain in the butt to get over with the wind. When leaving Leon, they also have those pathways that go over the railroad tracks too.

Astorga has that goofy track crossing too. The one that zig-zags back and forth.

Other places that stick out in my mind:

Coming into Roncesvalles, if you take the Valcarlos route. After you leave the highway, there are some sketchy parts where you need to watch where you step. The path is fairly close to the edge in some places. Actually, until you get to Pamplona, there are quite a few places in the Pyrenees where Camino takes you up the side of a hill and has a steep drop-off.

Some of the foot bridges can be "high" (depending on your definition of high) but you can cross them quickly.

The bridge coming into Logrono is fairly high off the water and it's long too. Most of the Roman and medieval bridges can be "high" (depending on your definition of high) but you can cross them quickly.

Hospital de Orbigo is another one that is high and is looooooong! But that one is pretty cool!

As others have mentioned, Portomarin has the granddaddy of all bridges going into town.

Going up and coming down from O'cebreiro, you run into the same issues of a narrow path on the side of hills. Watch your step!

I am a billy goat and I"m NOT afraid of heights.
However... the bridge going into Portomarin makes me feel like my perineum is going to come out my throat.
Sorry to be so graphic, but that's exactly how it feels.
I cannot look down.
I just have to look straight ahead and walk ...

I think if I had a fear of heights,I'd have to call a cab to take me across that one. ::laughing::

But that's the only one.
The rest are a piece of cake.

Hy all , I have no problem with heights , I enjoy the across the bridge at Portomarin the vieuw on that bridge was so beautyfull .
I loved it , sorry for the that don't . Wish you all well , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anyone afraid of drop offs should never contemplate the el Salvador.

I really didn't want to hear that Lol!

Was thinking of turning off at Leon for the el Salvador/Primitivo route as I heard it was so beautiful. But when I was a kid on a school trip on Dartmoor I slipped off a path over a 200ft drop. I hung on and got rescued by a teacher. Been a bit scared off narrow paths with steep drops on them since!

Last edited:
Anyone afraid of drop offs should never contemplate the el Salvador.

Al:
I strongly disagree with this comment. I walked the Salvador in some of the worst conditions (3-4 meters snow drifts). Never felt there was an issue with intimidating drop offs. You can read through my posts and pictures in several threads. If you need help finding, you can PM me. This is a great but mostly solitary hike.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will agree with your disagreeing, but disagree. But each finds things as they find things, so whatever. I will agree that it is a most delightful Camino and like the Ingles has a special place in my heart. I think the views are spectacular and a fair reward for challenging days.

Many thanks to everyone who has kindly provided input from their experiences! Sounds like there will be a couple of real challenges.

Hi All,

portomarín, especially towards the end of the summer or if the embalse has been emptied, can be bad (narrow walking area between railing and car lanes). the bridge over the railway coming into santiago city after monte de gozo with it's rotting wood planks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I hate heights but do not remember feeling concerned at any stage. And certainly Portomarin did not bother me. It did not even cross my mind to feel anxious. I was so wrapped up in my feelings of wonder at being on the Camino that my normal fears totally disappeared. So please don't spend time worrying about it.

And the winner is...the bridge at Portomarin! I generally don't have a fear of heights, but must admit that for some reason that one seemed a little spooky, even to me. Nearly everybody I talked to said the same thing. The other one that may be of concern to anyone with acrophobia is the pedestrian railroad overpass as you just start coming into Astorga -- it's a big, spindly, erector set-like structure with long switchback ramps up both sides. It's not very high, but I can imagine anyone who is uncomfortable with heights might feel a bit uneasy on this one, especially if one of those high-speed trains happens to come by while you're on the bridge.

And the winner is...the bridge at Portomarin! I generally don't have a fear of heights, but must admit that for some reason that one seemed a little spooky, even to me. Nearly everybody I talked to said the same thing. The other one that may be of concern to anyone with acrophobia is the pedestrian railroad overpass as you just start coming into Astorga -- it's a big, spindly, erector set-like structure with long switchback ramps up both sides. It's not very high, but I can imagine anyone who is uncomfortable with heights might feel a bit uneasy on this one, especially if one of those high-speed trains happens to come by while you're on the bridge.

I do not think this pedestrian overpass (Astorga) should create any fear but it is ridiculous. The person who engineered this monstrosity needs to go back to school. A 200m overpass to compensate for a 5m crossing. A gate and some flashing lights would have been more practical. That hill leading into Astorga is a real treat after a long day of walking.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fr Eric - good care you are showing. The thing is - millions have walked in recent years and not one person has fallen off any bridge or other part of the Camino so far! Usage, repeated exposure to a fear usually lessens the fear. I am terrified of heights - in fact, back in the 70's I climbed St Victoire, outside Aix-en-Provence, on the black path, without ropes or climbing footwear, to prove to myself that I could conquer any fear, though I did have nightmares for some weeks afterward ;)

At the beginning your friend will be afraid but with continual exposure to the fear the fear will lessen until it may just go away - that is my personal experience on fear of heights. The thing is, fear of heights isn't actually a fear of the height, it is a fear of jumping from that height, the secret dread of leaping off - so, as with climbing, tell him/her not to look down, not to look around, just concentrate on one foot in front of the other.
Strangely enough, opening one's arms wide, really wide, and leaning back and stretching - a crucifix position - somehow reduces fear and tension, I don't know why.

Also, think of horses and their fears - blinkers or a blindfold and they are fine - we are the same.
All will be well - and yes, hold their hand.

Last edited:
I haven't done the Frances - but I do sympathise with your friend. Sometimes a fear is possible to lessen with experiencing the thing feared - but often it is a phobia - and you just do not have any control over it. I speak as one who when we broke down on honeymoon - I literally crawled (sobbing) over the Col de Tournalet on my hands and knees. On Camino thru Portugal the bridge over the Foz was my nemesis! I used many 'coping' strategies to cycle across it - but still ended up having a massive panic attack and crashed my bike on the far side - my husband had to administer diazepam and brandy...
All you can do is plan to have coping strategies - rescue remedy/counting steps/meditate beforehand - anything that you find might help you at least get started. But also things like - can one of your friends run with you if that helps - or get a lift across - or start the day with a soberano brandy as well as a café con leche...! Make sure you have anything with you that might help - I think the above advice to say to yourself - 'in a minute it will be history' is great too. At the end of the day - there will always be bridges/heights/ drop-offs - so you just have to screw your courage up and go for it. Good luck. (Also =- appreciate all the things you CAN do - don't just dwell on the yucky stuff...)
What is EMDR therapy Annie G? sounds interesting...

I haven't done the Frances - but I do sympathise with your friend. Sometimes a fear is possible to lessen with experiencing the thing feared - but often it is a phobia - and you just do not have any control over it. I speak as one who when we broke down on honeymoon - I literally crawled (sobbing) over the Col de Tournalet on my hands and knees. On Camino thru Portugal the bridge over the Foz was my nemesis! I used many 'coping' strategies to cycle across it - but still ended up having a massive panic attack and crashed my bike on the far side - my husband had to administer diazepam and brandy...
All you can do is plan to have coping strategies - rescue remedy/counting steps/meditate beforehand - anything that you find might help you at least get started. But also things like - can one of your friends run with you if that helps - or get a lift across - or start the day with a soberano brandy as well as a café con leche...! Make sure you have anything with you that might help - I think the above advice to say to yourself - 'in a minute it will be history' is great too. At the end of the day - there will always be bridges/heights/ drop-offs - so you just have to screw your courage up and go for it. Good luck. (Also =- appreciate all the things you CAN do - don't just dwell on the yucky stuff...)
What is EMDR therapy Annie G? sounds interesting...
Acronym for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. Here's a link:

https://www.emdr.com/general-information/what-is-emdr/what-is-emdr.html

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Annie G - it looks really interesting.

There is! Keep looking. :)

The bridge into Portomarin is probably the worst. There are some steep slopes in several sections, so it will depend quite a bit on what triggers the fear.
i am planning to walk the camino frances next year starting at sjpd and am wondering if there are stages between sjpd and logrono that involve steep narrow high areas where you may slip and fall from a height !
I have a fear of steep cliffs and narrow paths on high areas.
i would like to avoid those

No. Any elevation gain is because the entire countryside is gaining altitude as you walk up the path. Unless you actively seek out such alternative routes, there is zero risk of slipping off a cliff. When folks talk about “falling” they are referring to tripping over tree roots and rocks, or slipping in wet muddy conditions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No. Any elevation gain is because the entire countryside is gaining altitude as you walk up the path. Unless you actively seek out such alternative routes, there is zero risk of slipping off a cliff. When folks talk about “falling” they are referring to tripping over tree roots and rocks, or slipping in wet muddy conditions.
is the walking path going up the pyrenees fairly wide

It was pouring rain and driving wind when I had to cross that! Funny, I even remember the car dealership! Heights don't bother me at all, but yes, that was a pain in the butt to get over with the wind. When leaving Leon, they also have those pathways that go over the railroad tracks too.

Astorga has that goofy track crossing too. The one that zig-zags back and forth.

Other places that stick out in my mind:

Coming into Roncesvalles, if you take the Valcarlos route. After you leave the highway, there are some sketchy parts where you need to watch where you step. The path is fairly close to the edge in some places. Actually, until you get to Pamplona, there are quite a few places in the Pyrenees where Camino takes you up the side of a hill and has a steep drop-off.

Some of the foot bridges can be "high" (depending on your definition of high) but you can cross them quickly.

The bridge coming into Logrono is fairly high off the water and it's long too. Most of the Roman and medieval bridges can be "high" (depending on your definition of high) but you can cross them quickly.

Hospital de Orbigo is another one that is high and is looooooong! But that one is pretty cool!

As others have mentioned, Portomarin has the granddaddy of all bridges going into town.

Going up and coming down from O'cebreiro, you run into the same issues of a narrow path on the side of hills. Watch your step!
"Coming into Roncesvalles, if you take the Valcarlos route. After you leave the highway, there are some sketchy parts where you need to watch where you step. The path is fairly close to the edge in some places. Actually, until you get to Pamplona, there are quite a few places in the Pyrenees where Camino takes you up the side of a hill and has a steep drop-off."

really??? are these on the main route and how steep, Sketchy and unsteady are they and where are they? I am walking that route next year and have a fear of falling down a cliff should i avoid this path? no guard rail just and one step path?

Again, these are NOT cliffs! When people mention falling, they mean tripping or slipping! You are walking on wide paths the entire time with zero cliffs involved.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
is the walking path going up the pyrenees fairly wide

It starts out as a rigors two lane road and then transitions in parts to a trail in a wide open piece of land - you do NOT walk along a cliff side. When pilgrims talk about steep ascents or descents, they are NOT referring to rock climbing or rappelling off cliffs. They simply mean that the trail is steep, but never a “fall off the ledge” risk

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back