• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bridges on Camino near Sarria to be torn down?

peregrina2000

Staff member
A Spanish friend's facebook page has a link to this article: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/inde...51:mollamonos&catid=68:noticias-agacs&lang=es

It says that medieval bridges on the Camino will be torn down as a hydroelectric project moves forward.

Protest set for Sat. April 26 at 6 pm, with a march on the Camino over all the bridges tagged for destruction. So if you're in the neighborhood, join the protest!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Peregrina-- that is disturbing, specially given that the Camino is the only road on the UNESCO list of Sites designated as Patrimony of Humanity. So, I really wondered if this adds a layer of permit(s) required to do any work that alters its historical value (...of all places...SARRIA!!?? :eek:)

I have attached the scope of work; found it on the internet. It cites as the work been required due to: 1) Serious flooding episodes impacting Sarria city centre, and 2) urban growth. Apparently, the city centre is a flat area anchored by two area with flood propensity. According to the firm that prepare the scope, the objectives are to improve the river drainage, to improve the conditions around the rivers, and create areas of public leisure.

If you ask me, this scope of work can be modify and still be done without seriously impacting the bridges; it requires more work and consequently, it may cost more, but tearing down and replacing the bridges makes the "remedy worse than the disease".

Page 7 shows four (4) bridges that will be either taken down or modified: 1) Puente Castelao, 2) Puente R/Calvo Sotelo (to be demolished), 3) Puente R/Peregrino (Puente Ribeira? to be remodeled), and 4) Puente do Chanto. However, there are three (3) medieval bridges that will be demolished along with some local houses. These are: 1) Ponte Vella do Mazadoiro, 2) Ponte Vella de Becerrea, 3) Ponte do Peregrino. They invoke urban growth pressure and how unavoidable this work is...(!) They cited an Alternatives Analysis (24 options) none of which is better than demolishing the bridges (seriously?).

IMPORTANT: Page 18 of the Report, Item No. 4 states that THERE ARE NO IMPACTS TO THE HISTORICAL PATRIMONY OF THE AREA FROM THIS WORK. This is such an obvious lie and this alone would invalidate this scope and send people back to the draft board.

The Point of Contact for this work is Sr. Ignacio Maestro Saavedra, email: imaestro@chminosil.es and his phone number is (34) 98 824 2402. I intend to write him an email message expressing concern on behalf of the WORLWIDE pilgrim's community (The Camino is after all PATRIMONY OF HUMANITY) and urging for the prevention and/or minimization to any impact to the bridges in question. I know that ultimately this is a local issue and it will be done as they wish, but I (as part of humanity!) would had said my peace. THIS IS ALSO OUR PATRIMONY.

Attachments

• Hydro Project Sarria.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear friends,

We would like to inform you that most people from Sarria are against this project that will destroy our natural and cultural heritage, which, as you rightly point out, belongs to the workwide pilgrim's community. We have organized ourselves to fight against this atrocity. We have created an informal platform ("Plataforma Sarriana polo Río") to defend our river, the river Sarria, our trees and our old bridges, which are also yours. We consider that the great historical and cultural significance of the Camino has been completely ignored when assessing the impact of the project.

That's our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/salvemosoriosarria Most of it is of course in Galician and in Spanish. However we have also posted a petition in change.org which has been translated into English, French and Italian, precisely because we are convinced that not only people from Sarria but also the whole pilgrims’ community should have a say on this question. That's the link to change.org: http://www.change.org/es/peticiones...márgenes-de-los-ríos-sarria-y-celeiro-1a-fase

We encourage you to sign our petition and to join us on Sat. April 26 at 6 pm to protest against this project, which will not only damage the Camino, but will also be completely useless to reduce damages caused by floods. We live in Sarria. We have witnessed previous floods. And we know that works underway will be completely useless to reduce flood risks or flood damages.

Please don’t hesítate to contact us through our Facebook or by e-mail (plataformasarrianapolorio@gmail.com). We will be delighted to provide you with additional information on this.

Thank you so much for your support!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting how the Judge who issued the Cease and Desist cited the "contradiction" in the report submitted by the firm stating no historical impacts. I noted that (see prior post) as such a blatant attempt to push this work under the table.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back