• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brierley Guide

Ahaj

Anyone happen to know if there will be a new edition out come January? Mine is a little old and very battered but I'd be happy to keep using it for planning if there's a new one likely before I walk in June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anyone happen to know if there will be a new edition out come January? Mine is a little old and very battered but I'd be happy to keep using it for planning if there's a new one likely before I walk in June.
Just email him, he'll tell you I'm sure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes the German book had very good info on places to stay, I got very spoiled my first two weeks walking with a German.

But to return to the question I know living in Montana we get new books a bit later so depending on your location,

I thought the new edition was coming out on December 15, 2015.

Thanks all! I will take a look at the German guide too . I'm in Hong Kong and we certainly won't get either here, sadly, so I will keep my eyes open in the UK bookshops over Christmas!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks all! I will take a look at the German guide too . I'm in Hong Kong and we certainly won't get either here, sadly, so I will keep my eyes open in the UK bookshops over Christmas!
Even in Hong Kong! In retrospect, it was hardly surprising to find that a bookshop in Tashkent had no English fiction, but it was a shock at the time, having run out of reads. Much harder for Uzbek travellers overseas of course. TG for ebooks. Off topic again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Even in Hong Kong! In retrospect, it was hardly surprising to find that a bookshop in Tashkent had no English fiction, but it was a shock at the time, having run out of reads. Much harder for Uzbek travellers overseas of course. TG for ebooks. Off topic again.
Held out for a long time against e- books- "I'll never do it because I love to hold a book in my hands" but it was the Camino that changed my attitude. How wonderful to have my iPhone loaded with books, maps, apps etc and weighing in at such a light weight. I know Mr Brierley will never go the e- book route sadly so his is my only paper book en route.

I know Mr Brierley will never go the e- book route sadly so his is my only paper book en route.

I scanned the whole book and put it on my phone ;)
Sorry Mr Brierley, but this is the 21st Century and we all (well 99%) carry gadgets. Hopefully we have the gumption to turn our phones off when they are not required.

I had 3 books. I certainly wasn't going to carry all that paper...

Though I did carry the book 'cover' with the fold out section maps :) I wrote my stopping points on that ....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Held out for a long time against e- books- "I'll never do it because I love to hold a book in my hands" but it was the Camino that changed my attitude. How wonderful to have my iPhone loaded with books, maps, apps etc and weighing in at such a light weight. I know Mr Brierley will never go the e- book route sadly so his is my only paper book en route.
He has ebooks, look at his website.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one thing @Robo that still makes me carry a paper guide/print out in some shape or form is that gadgets tend to run out of battery at me in the most inconvenient moments ;-) Buen Camino! SY
And you can take notes in it, for places you loved, pleaces you'll want to stay at next time, and if there are discrepencies, to let the authors know.

@Robo , for your next Camino, just take a photo of the pages with your phone, no need to spend time scanning.

Try the German one. It's aaianle on English now and better than Brierly in lots of ways. Has information Brierly doesn't have and, more importantly, actually comments on the quality of albergues, etc! I wouldn't exclusively rely on Brierly again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have always been impressed by Cordula Rabe's guide to the Camino Francés in Rother's Wanderführer series. She has also written guides to the Camino Portuguès, Camino del Norte, and Vía de la Plata. Highly recommended.

https://www.rother.de/rother%20wanderf%FChrer-jakobsweg-4330.htm

The one thing I don't like about the Rother guides, which is also a problem with the Brierley guides, are the pre-defined stages. It really makes it difficult to figure out your own personal rhythm and also encourages "pilgrim waves". I much prefer place-to-place guides where you can design your own stages more easily and swim against the stream. Buen Camino, SY

The one thing I don't like about the Rother guides, which is also a problem with the Brierley guides, are the pre-defined stages. It really makes it difficult to figure out your own personal rhythm and also encourages "pilgrim waves". I much prefer place-to-place guides where you can design your own stages more easily and swim against the stream. Buen Camino, SY
Yes that is a fair comment. The German Outdoor series ('The Yellow Book' :)) deliberately eschews stages for this reason. However, Rabe does point out that nobody is forced to follow her stages, and pilgrims should begin cautiously until they understand their capabilities. Moreover, Rother Guides always deliberately show the preceding and succeeding albergues on all their height profiles, so it's easily possible to 'see past' the stages. If I would criticise the Rother for anything, it would be that they divide the Caminos into too few stages. Otherwise they are hard to fault in their content.

It's also worth pointing out that there is a high degree of overlap between various guides on what the stages are for the Camino Francés, whether this be in caminodesantiago.consumer.es, mundicamino.com, Rother, caminoguides.com, the French Michelin guide etc. The consensus exists for a reason, based on things like a daily average of 20-25km per day (or alternating 20km and 30km days) and size/facilities/cultural highlights/albergue provision etc. of stage end points. As you know, even when Picaud wrote Book V of the Codex Calixtinus, he divided the Camino Francés into recognised stages (fewer than today as he assumed the pilgrim would be on horseback to maintain the schedule).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one thing @Robo that still makes me carry a paper guide/print out in some shape or form is that gadgets tend to run out of battery at me in the most inconvenient moments ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Very true! But that need not be a concern if you just carry a spare battery ;)

I often swapped in a fresh batter y during the day. But my 'gadget' was also my stills camera, my movie camera, my note taker, my guide book, my map, my translator, oh, and it had a phone in it..........just in case :)

I actually took a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, purely because of the ability to pull off the back and swap batteries and memory cards. Sadly the new versions don't have this feature. So back to iPhones now I guess :oops: I'll keep the old Samsung as my Camino 'gadget' ....:)

Very true! But that need not be a concern if you just carry a spare battery ;)

I often swapped in a fresh batter y during the day. But my 'gadget' was also my stills camera, my movie camera, my note taker, my guide book, my map, my translator, oh, and it had a phone in it..........just in case :)

I actually took a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, purely because of the ability to pull off the back and swap batteries and memory cards. Sadly the new versions don't have this feature. So back to iPhones now I guess :oops: I'll keep the old Samsung as my Camino 'gadget' ....:)
You could use a case with a back up battery like a Mophie or the new Lifeproof Fre Power. There are also a number of backup batteries that you can connect to your phone with its charger/USB cord.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And you can take notes in it, for places you loved, pleaces you'll want to stay at next time, and if there are discrepencies, to let the authors know.

@Robo , for your next Camino, just take a photo of the pages with your phone, no need to spend time scanning.
If you want to get a little 'Techie/Geeky' use a free app called Evernote and its free add-on called 'Scannable' you can very quickly and easily scan every page (I cut out all my pages before I begin since I knew it won't be going with me anyway) with your smart phone and it will save it as a single PDF file that you can use on your phone complete with the ability to zoom in on. I love this because it keeps me from having to pull my reading glasses out every time I want to check on something :). With the right apps you can also annotate your PDF with notes and mark spots where you stayed too. I use my iPhone for everything (camera, voice recorder to make notes during my day, vlog/blog, GPS, bathroom flashlight, etc) so I bought a Mophie battery pack that extends my battery life by about 150% ensuring I make it through everyday comfortably.

You are correct, my apologies, only the maps are on e-format.
http://www.caminoguides.com/index.html

I bought a Brierely guide for my kindle in September - it was the Sarria to Finisterre/Muxia one. Maybe there will be e-reader versions of the others in the future.

However, I didn't like the e-book format and wouldn't buy it again. I found scrolling past the non-essential bits quite annoying. I much prefer flicking through a paper guide (but maybe that's an age thing!).

€83,-
I am not Ivar, but I wouldn't count on finding the Brierley guide for sale in Sarria. BUT you could always ask @ivar to send it poste restante to you in Sarria to pick up on arrival. To find Credenciales in Sarria shouldn't be a problem at all, btw. Buen Camino, SY

I am not Ivar, but I wouldn't count on finding the Brierley guide for sale in Sarria. BUT you could always ask @ivar to send it poste restante to you in Sarria to pick up on arrival. To find Credenciales in Sarria shouldn't be a problem at all, btw. Buen Camino, SY
I popped into the Municipal Albergue in Sarria for a stamp and if I remember correctly you can get a credencial there.

Walking into Sarria, just before the town centre the Muni is on the right hand side and easy to find.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use my iPhone for everything (camera, voice recorder to make notes during my day, vlog/blog, GPS, bathroom flashlight, etc) so I bought a Mophie battery pack that extends my battery life by about 150% ensuring I make it through everyday comfortably.
Jozero, can you tell me which Mophie pack you use? Thanks!

Ivar,
Are we able to purchase a copy (of either) with passport in Sarria on arrival? If so, please advis where.

Thanks,
Fiona.

There is a pilgrim supplies store in Sarria called Peregrinoteca which is in the town Centre right on the Camino, and which had the Brierley guide in stock when we were there last May.

For the credencial as mentioned above the municipal albergue should have them. I had to get a second one when we got to Sarria and picked one up at the monastery at the top of the hill on the way out of town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am all for e-books....on my phone, ereader, its perfect. 300-600 pages of reading fiction all without the burden of weight, but when it comes to a guidebook that i want to use while walking i will not use it again. I really hate it when i cant see anything because of the sun and i have to find some shade to actually see something. Very hard when no shade is around. And thats just one reason why i dont like guidebooks in e-format.

If this is the case it raises the question - Did you get it from another or have you already walked where you intend to walk? If the later then I guess you will not really need a guide at all. I find that I don't on the Caminos I have walked before. For some reason my memory (which my friends find is infamously faulty) surprises me by remembering so much when I am on the Camino. So I don't take one. Or maybe that's just me being minimalist? (I'm idle, I don't like carrying more than I have to).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you.

If this is the case it raises the question - Did you get it from another or have you already walked where you intend to walk? If the later then I guess you will not really need a guide at all. I find that I don't on the Caminos I have walked before. For some reason my memory (which my friends find is infamously faulty) surprises me by remembering so much when I am on the Camino. So I don't take one. Or maybe that's just me being minimalist? (I'm idle, I don't like carrying more than I have to).
I had to abandon my first Camino at Leon and am returning there to restart. I guess I can just take half the book anyway! I don't suppose there's much difference between recent editions as far as the directions are concerned.

Ivar,
Are we able to purchase a copy (of either) with passport in Sarria on arrival? If so, please advis where.

Thanks,
Fiona.
Hi Fiona,

Sorry for my late reply.

You should be able to get the passport in Sarria, no problem. Not sure about the Guide, especially if you want the 2016 guide that came out a few weeks ago. That said, if you just follow the arrows and print out this pdf:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/“all”-albergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/
...not sure if you need the guide.

Either way, I can ship the guide to any address you give me (hotels and so on) if you need it.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

While all you need to get from point a to point b is the list of albergues (on my first Camino I used the one given in SJPP together with the 1 page with elevations) I really think it would be a pity to walk without any information on the areas you are passing by and spending some time in. Brierly will help in that sense. I walked the Frances with a guide from Pili Pala Presses, now available for free on line, and just loved it for all the legends, anecdotes and historical information it gave me. If you don't wantto carry the weight of a guide consider leaving it at home and taking pictures of its pages. Mind you, I also enjoy writing notes in my guides, I find it to be much useful in terms of memory that a separate diary.

There is a pilgrim supplies store in Sarria called Peregrinoteca which is in the town Centre right on the Camino, and which had the Brierley guide in stock when we were there last May.

For the credencial as mentioned above the municipal albergue should have them. I had to get a second one when we got to Sarria and picked one up at the monastery at the top of the hill on the way out of town.
Thank you :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back