• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brierley Maps-only book questions

howlsthunder

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2018)
Camino Francés (2020)
In preparation for my 2018 walk, I went with Brierley's maps-only guide to the CdF, using it to take notes in and to have a general sense of direction (I don't care about stages). Seems to do the trick but I have a few questions about it:

1) In the town maps, there is often a large, thin-lined circle or two. What are these circles denoting? For instance, there is one in Sarria, two in Astorga, and even one on stage 30 map, circled around Gonzar.

2) Green-dot vs. Yellow-dot paths: are the green ones really more "scenic" as the book suggests? I'd rather take paths that are more scenic/less built-up and/or with less pavement and don't mind if this increases difficulty or distance.

3) Regarding the green-dot scenic routes, are most of them easy enough to locate along the way? I've got an excellent sense of direction and am pretty handy with getting around but want to know if these alternate routes are marked or if they're largely word-of-mouth, "By the way, if you turn here, this is a great way to see/get to X".

Thanks! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can't answer question #1, as have left Brierley's guides along the ways, but yes, the green-dot routes are the more scenic. There is one out of Villatuerta and another out of Leon via Fresno/Oncino and a few more. I found Brierley's maps sufficient for more straightforward towns like Astorga, but didn't stay right on the path in Pamplona or Leon and could have used more detailed maps. Tourism offices are often closed 2p-4p, making getting maps on arrival sometimes inconvenient. Also, with those maps, try not to assume that if it looks like a road runs right alongside the official path into the next town that it will actually go there - the maps aren't to scale exactly and are sometimes sketchy related to the surrounding roads. In other words, stay to the Camino and don't use Brierley to figure out alternative routes unless you don't mind being lost on the backroads:). Happy planning!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@HighlandsHiker,
Thanks for the heads up. In reading other threads I was beginning to get the sense that Brierley's maps are hit-or-miss. I'll be sure to obtain other maps to use in addition or in-lieu. Do you have any recommendations that you prefer?
  1. Generally I would say that the green routes are adequately marked and easy to locate if you are watching for them.
Thanks. It sounds like you've had experience with finding the scenic routes and perhaps seen the greens vs yellows? Do you have any in particular that you enjoyed?

I'm really looking forward to this trip and I know no matter which path I end up on I'll find something to enjoy but it's a lot of fun learning bits about it before I go. :)

@HighlandsHiker,
Thanks for the heads up. In reading other threads I was beginning to get the sense that Brierley's maps are hit-or-miss. I'll be sure to obtain other maps to use in addition or in-lieu. Do you have any recommendations that you prefer?
Thanks. It sounds like you've had experience with finding the scenic routes and perhaps seen the greens vs yellows? Do you have any in particular that you enjoyed?

I'm really looking forward to this trip and I know no matter which path I end up on I'll find something to enjoy but it's a lot of fun learning bits about it before I go. :)
If doing it for the first time again, I would take a google map printout of central Pamplona and Leon and possibly also Santiago (if you'll be arriving on a day when the Pilgrim's office on Rua Nova is closed). For the rest, Brierley was perfectly adequate. I use WisePilgrim's apps now. I'm with you - planning and learning the details is a lot of fun!

I wouldn't say the Brierley maps are "hit and miss." They are illustrative rather than precise in map-making terms, but I have found them to be entirely satisfactory for the Camino. However, it is handy to have Google Maps for the cities.

Don't attach too much significance to the green versus orange routes. It is rarely a clear case of scenic/natural versus nonscenic/asphalt. The one place where I have a strong recommendation based on having walked both is to avoid the route through Villadangos del Paramo on the day after leaving Leon. Instead, take the route through Villar de Mazarife.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1) In the town maps, there is often a large, thin-lined circle or two. What are these circles denoting? For instance, there is one in Sarria, two in Astorga, and even one on stage 30 map, circled around Gonzar.

I think the circles are just Brierley's way of indicating the main centre of the town. In the case of Astorga there are two key areas. My copy doesn't have a circle over Gonzar, that seems odd as it's so small! There are some contour lines nearby, maybe the printer got confused...!

Have been using the Brierley maps-only guide in combination with the Village to Village guide as a Kindle book on my phone for the past four weeks on the Camino Frances. I would definitely use both together again.

The green options were almost always well marked, both initially and along the way. The only one that was questionable for us was the one out of Leon towards Villar de Mazarife. The initial sign was fine but there was nothing at the next crossroad. (Go straight, up the hill, and the comforting yellow arrows will eventually reappear!) Each one e.g. through Zabaldika - an ethereal setting for church & albergue; and through Villar de Mazarife - worth it to avoid a lot of highway walking, and to be serenaded by frogs & cuckoos for long stretches, were well worth the detour.

I also used the back note pages to jot down my most frequently needed Spanish phrases! Having them right there when calling albergues, asking for directions, etc. was very helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everybody for your input. The Google Maps of cities is a great idea. I planned on getting the Wise Pilgrim app but currently don't have a phone to use it with and also don't like depending only on electronics. ;) Being a bush pilot's daughter I was raised around maps and respect accuracy but knowing ahead of time that Brierley's is accurate in relation to itself if not precise topography is reassuring. I'm not too worried about it but welcome any advice veterans of the Camino may have, like taking the Villar de Mazzarife route out of Leon (didn't know that!) Finding out these little tidbits ahead of time help give me something to look forward to in that "Oh, I've heard of this before!" way - but they're not so huge as to spoil any surprises.

@FionaMcG - excellent idea about writing down phrases in the back! I've been writing on the note areas of the location-specific pages, like castles and cathedrals to be sure to investigate.

Also thank you to folks for checking out those circles in the book. My guess was city-center, but some entire towns are circled so not sure. As a graphic designer myself it is odd to have such prominent anomalies so I figure they must have meant something at some point. ;)

Re the circles, I too have often wondered what they mean, and for me, they have no importance. For example, the detailed map of Leon has two circles, one for the city centre and another smaller for Plaza San Marcos on the way out of the city.

Re route colours, there are several:
Yellow/gold for the standard route or recommended route avoiding asphalt as much as possible
Green for alternative route which are quieter and usually more scenic
Blue for deviations to visit significant sites such as historical monasteries
Grey for alternative road routes

Map symbols are shown in Brierley's book just before the description of St Jean Pied de Porte (page 42 in my complete copy of the book)

Re the circles, I too have often wondered what they mean, and for me, they have no importance. For example, the detailed map of Leon has two circles, one for the city centre and another smaller for Plaza San Marcos on the way out of the city.

Re route colours, there are several:
Yellow/gold for the standard route or recommended route avoiding asphalt as much as possible

So green doesn't necessarily mean less asphalt? Interesting. I will have to pay attention to this.

Map symbols are shown in Brierley's book just before the description of St Jean Pied de Porte (page 42 in my complete copy of the book)

Yep, the maps-only version has a key in the beginning that is very straight-forward, only it never mentioned the circles. Everything else has been pretty directly communicated. I think I read somewhere that the maps-only maps were taken directly from the complete book, which is good for consistency. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am in Leon at the moment , the lightening is spectacular , the rain seems to be imminent.
I started with both the Brierley guide and the Wise Pilgrim's guide , some bits were useful but I have now given both away .
What is useful on a daily " pull out of your pocket and refer to " basis is the
Michellen Guide 6.50 Euros at a news agent in Carrion Des Los Condes, the most useful thing I have on the Camino and the cheapest guide of all .

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.