• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brierley maps only guidebook

M

Mark Lee

Making some purchases on amazon the other day and saw the latest (2016) Brierley maps only guide on there. It was inexpensive and the shipping was free so I added it in the order. Besides, the one I have is a bit worn (2011) from multiple CF's and it has a fair amount of weight to it. Figured if I did the CF again I'd bring a lighter weight guidebook with less extra information. I had no beefs with the original full text Brierley, except for its size and weight. I know some don't like the maps because of accuracy issues on distances, but a kilometer here or there being off doesn't bother me. Just get me in the ballpark. I ain't calling in artillery fire.

Got the maps only one today and after going over it I gotta say, it looks to me like the perfect one to carry on the CF. Thin, small and light enough to fit in a one-quart zip-lock bag, and has all the maps and albergue listings you need. I recommend it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ahhh, I simply can't do that. Even a guidebook is a BOOK for me :eek::D
Yeah, my fingers shook when I first did it. :eek:o_O What?! Tear a book?!??!
But it was a liberation from the heavy conditioning from primary school librarians, and my own rather reverential attitude towards books. Besides which, I figured since I'd need a new one afterwards, Brierley would get a few more pence on the royalties.

I agree. It was perfect for the CF.
What made it "absolutely" perfect was the lack of Johno's spiritual piffle waffle.
Gerard, isn't it time you published your own piffle wiffle? Come on...we're all holding our breath out here.:D

But it was a liberation from the heavy conditioning from primary school librarians, and my own rather reverential attitude towards books. Besides which, I figured since I'd need a new one afterwards, Brierley would get a few more pence on the royalties.

Gerard, isn't it time you published your own piffle wiffle? Come on...we're all holding our breath out here.:D
:D for answer to my quote.

And a BIIIIIIG hear hear for Gerard!!!

EDIT: Gerard published his Camino short stories book already??? It will be a gem!!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
EDIT: Gerard published his Camino short stories book already??? It will be a gem!!!
No, alas...that's what I was needling him about.:D
Push it, baby, push it :D
Oh, how I enjoy reading his stories, ahhhh...............
:DPerhaps we should make a dedicated thread for people to chime in with their opinions about this?:D
(Sorry Gerard, but we all DO like them rather a lot........................................)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
IMHO, the only thing separating the maps only version from being the "perfect" guide book is the leaving out of the lodging and restaurant information that is in the full guide. If Mr. Brierley simply added that half page or less, on average, for each of his 33 recommended stages, there would be no need for his overly long, heavier, full guide.

I do not need all the packaging and background information or directed meditations. I have all that stuff separately. Having the routing directions, elevations, maps, and lodging/eating instructions are all most of us need.

I grant that there is a market for both versions. Personally, I just need the facts. But, as someone who has done the full or portions of the Frances three times and the Portuguese once, I crave the maps only version, PLUS the listing of places to stay and eat at each stage.

Just sayin...:)

We had the Kindle version on our phone and never read the guidebook. It also had elevations and lodging and a few examples of places to eat. The maps indicated the nearest bar. Loved it!

€83,-
I must say I am very lucky.....I never bought any guide books or maps..... my only guides were these forums, the leaflets (albergue list, elevation graphs and maps) from the SJPDP Pilgrims Office and of cos, those wonderful yellow arrows and scallop shells! :D And, my only camino app - camino pilgrim. Armed with these, I safely walked my 500 miles and beyond!

Now I am home, I wonder how I managed without a guide book.... it has to be St James and Camino companions by my side!!:):)

Yes I have seen some of his writings on the forum ... He could make a fortune !!!:cool:

IMHO, the only thing separating the maps only version from being the "perfect" guide book is the leaving out of the lodging and restaurant information that is in the full guide. If Mr. Brierley simply added that half page or less, on average, for each of his 33 recommended stages, there would be no need for his overly long, heavier, full guide.

I do not need all the packaging and background information or directed meditations. I have all that stuff separately. Having the routing directions, elevations, maps, and lodging/eating instructions are all most of us need.

I grant that there is a market for both versions. Personally, I just need the facts. But, as someone who has done the full or portions of the Frances three times and the Portuguese once, I crave the maps only version, PLUS the listing of places to stay and eat at each stage.

Just sayin...:)
As usual, I find myself agreeing with @t2andreo. The maps only version would be prefect with just a little more information. Of course one can always buy the full version and doctor it up to eliminate all the superfluous pulp, then rebind it with a spiral binder. A lot of people complain about the accuracy of the Brierley maps, but I for one can live with a the small errors and IMO the format is quite adequate for the intended use -- as @MarkLee said, you aren't using it to call in artillery fire.

€83,-
Once again jim and I are of like minds...thank you for that Jim!

My age being what it is (63), and having been schooled by severe and very strict Franciscan nuns, in a relatively poor Catholic school as a young child during the late 1950s and early 1960s, I learned to respect and even revere printed books, all printed books. I was imbued with the certain knowledge that all books are good, knowledge is good, knowledge can be powerful, and the printed word serves as the foundation for all of Western Civilization.

Over the decades, I found these statements to be largely true. Even "trash literature" has its' place. Learning about historical events where books were burned or otherwise destroyed simply for the ideas or knowledge they contained, or who wrote the book, was always, to my thinking, a moral wrong, a serious sin if you will...

Consequently, even now, in my 60s, I regard it as flat-out wrong to destroy any book, for any reason, not accidental. So, each time I read about fellow pilgrims tearing out pages from a Brierley or any other guide to shave some weight, I cringe.

I think this is the wrong way to go about reducing weight. Certainly there is some other item that can be left out of your packing, reduced in size, or quantity to achieve the same weight-reducing result. But, some of us beg you, NEVER damage the book!

The simple and logical answer to this is for Mr. Brierley, and I know he lurks on this Forum and is known to many of us, to commission two versions of each of his guides. He already does this, the full-on version and the maps only version.

All that I, and folks like Jim (jmcarp) plead for is an ever-more useful maps-only version. We would opine that simply including the half-page or so per stage (on average) description wth phone numbers and addresses (including e-mail) of where to stay, eat, shop, and obtain services would be a perfect marriage. Personally, I do not care what he charges for this. The relative value far surpasses the cost.

I usually buy both versions anyway, the most updated versions, early each calendar year, before I leave on Camino, if I am walking all or a portion of the routes he covers. I customarily leave the maps-only version for my family to follow along and to get an idea of where I am and where I am headed. I take the full-on version with me.

The "left-behind" folks have the Internet to do any research they might want to do at any time. I need more information conveniently in my hiking pants cargo pocket. However, I would, and ask Jim says, much prefer a more thorough maps-only guide.

Perhaps Mr. Brierley could simply change the name of the Maps-only guide to the "Pilgrim's Hip-Pocket Guide to the Camino (x)" and the name of the full-on guide to the "Comprehensive Guide to the Camino (x)."

"Pretty Please" Mr. Brierley?!

If any of my colleague pilgrims out there can get this thread to John Brierley, please do so.

I hope this helps the dialog.

Perhaps Mr. Brierley could simply change the name of the ["enhanced"] Maps-only guide to the "Pilgrim's Hip-Pocket Guide to the Camino (x)" and the name of the full-on guide to the "Comprehensive Guide to the Camino (x)."
At the risk of making this response sound like a mutual admiration society, I heartily endorse Tom's idea of names for the mini- and maxi- guidebooks. I will, however, once again suggest that it is possible to "customize" the full Brierley or any other comprehensive guidebook without destroying it in the process. Simply take it to an office supply shop which offers printing and binding services like Kinko's or OfficeMax here in the US and have the binding edge cut off in their commercial paper cutter. Then have all the pages punched for a spiral-type binder. Remove the selected pages intended for your "edited" version and put the remainder of the pages aside for reassembly when you return from your Camino (assuming you want to have a complete book for your library). Bind the short version with a small spiral binder for use on the Camino, and when you get home afterwards, remove the small spiral binder, re-insert the pages into the the larger volume in their proper order, and rebind the whole thing with an appropriately-sized larger spiral binder. There are, of course, other methods of temporarily binding both the edited and reassembled full versions of the book; I just prefer the spiral bindings because they allow the book to be fully opened for use in the field.

On the subject of maps, I should also mention that in the past, Pilipala Press (a Canadian publisher of guidebooks) published a very useful "Camino de Santiago Map" of the Camino Francés that contained just the information that Tom (t2andreo) suggests for Mr Brierley. In fact, the wording on the back cover called it "The Camino de Santiago stripped down to its bare essentials." Unfortunately the map only book is no longer published, so if anyone is interested and can find a used copy, grab it before the information regarding accommodations gets too outdated.

Each to his/her own on the page tearing. I will continue to tear mine out, not to save weight, but to have the convenience of the route that I'm walking that day handy in my waist pack. Having the pages handy brings joy and comfort to my day, while a pristine guidebook in my pack would contribute nothing. I too received the early training/brain washing on the subject of caring for the printed word, along with a lot of other baggage that I have since left behind. If it doesn't fit with who I am today, and if it doesn't hurt anyone, then I let it go.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I photocopy my maps and leave the intact book at home. Each day I put the current day’s map in my pocket, and use it as my guide for the day. At the end of the day I write my journal on the back of the map. It then goes back into my pack for filing when I get home, and I take the next day’s map out.
Jill

Hi, I photocopy my maps and leave the intact book at home. Each day I put the current day’s map in my pocket, and use it as my guide for the day. At the end of the day I write my journal on the back of the map. It then goes back into my pack for filing when I get home, and I take the next day’s map out.
Jill
I like the idea of notes as you go, but how on earth do you keep your pages dry as you go? Sometimes my guidebook pages are sodden by the end of the day. I tried photographing them and having the images on my phone, but then I still have the rain issue and would rather have sodden pages than sodden phone----and there is the battery to conserve. I do use my phone for notes, both written and verbal, weather permitting. The options are intriguing,

I like the idea of notes as you go, but how on earth do you keep your pages dry as you go?

Hi, I put them in a see-through zip-lock plastic bag, the same size as the photocopied map.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I put them in a see-through zip-lock plastic bag, the same size as the photocopied map.
Hmmm. Thanks. Something to think about and experiment with for sure. I can test with local trail maps.

I have been known to tear up books too though :eek:. I hasten to add that they are old paperback books from the second-hand book store. I buy one to take on a hutted trail hike here. I tear out the pages that I’ve read to start the camp fire with :p. Then read the next chapter or two that evening, and repeat.
Jill

I have been known to tear up books too though :eek:. I hasten to add that they are old paperback books from the second-hand book store. I buy one to take on a hutted trail hike here. I tear out the pages that I’ve read to start the camp fire with :p. Then read the next chapter or two that evening, and repeat.
Jill
Good repurposing!!

€83,-
Thanks for the tip, the map sounds great.
In defense of guidebooks, they (along with Foders and some online sites) helped me find other things I HAD to see that might be a bit off the path. Otherwise I wouldn't have known to look for the faceless St Michael outside Pamplona (actually good timing, it was on-the-road and came to me), the three serpent pillar in Estella (and the beautiful Basilica on the hill above), the Andra Mari for headaches in the little chapel near Getaria, the best bacalao al pil pil...etc.
So they serve a purpose. I didn't carry them, having made notes in a self made guide I saved to kindle on my iphone, but they really added to my experience.

Making some purchases on amazon the other day and saw the latest (2016) Brierley maps only guide on there. It was inexpensive and the shipping was free so I added it in the order. Besides, the one I have is a bit worn (2011) from multiple CF's and it has a fair amount of weight to it. Figured if I did the CF again I'd bring a lighter weight guidebook with less extra information. I had no beefs with the original full text Brierley, except for its size and weight. I know some don't like the maps because of accuracy issues on distances, but a kilometer here or there being off doesn't bother me. Just get me in the ballpark. I ain't calling in artillery fire.

Got the maps only one today and after going over it I gotta say, it looks to me like the perfect one to carry on the CF. Thin, small and light enough to fit in a one-quart zip-lock bag, and has all the maps and albergue listings you need. I recommend it.
Thanks, great info. My guide is also quite worn and need a new one for 2017.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back