A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Brierley's Camino Portugues - so confused!

2020 Camino Guides

Salpal

Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk Coastal Camino in May 2020
Hi all,

I'm busy going through John Brierley's guidebook but am just getting more and more confused!
am I being completely blind??? on page 122 - Senda Litoral way - it says "to continue to Esposende/Marinhas on the Caminho da Costa go to p. 198"........
p.198 doesn't continue the route.....what am I missing??

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés
Hi all,

I'm busy going through John Brierley's guidebook but am just getting more and more confused!
am I being completely blind??? on page 122 - Senda Litoral way - it says "to continue to Esposende/Marinhas on the Caminho da Costa go to p. 198"........
Yes, you are quite right! He means page 204!

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
There are other mistakes and they were repeated form the 2017 to the 2020.. But I still like the guide,

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
I have been currently planning a Portuguese trip over the last 2 weeks and find myself using Wise Pilgrim, Brierleys, Gronze and RometoRio. Some aspects of each are great while others not so much.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I used the Brierley guide on the Camino Frances and it was quite straight forward so I purchased his Portuguese guide. It definately took some "getting used to"...discombobulated is a descriptive word that comes to mind. 😃

Richmond Gardner

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2017), Primitivo (2019)
I used the Brierley guide on the Camino Frances and it was quite straight forward so I purchased his Portuguese guide. It definately took some "getting used to"...discombobulated is a descriptive word that comes to mind. 😃
Same for me! I suppose it’s the various routes that account for confusion, but the presentation is certainly not helping. Making a note to skip from 122 to 204!

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances SJPP / 2014 Camino Portugues / 2015 Camino Ingles / 2015 Hospitalero Training
2016 (fall) Camino Sanabre / Hospitalero?
Learning how to be confused and figure out where you are "In The World". Calibrating your self worth and how you can go forward with this new knowledge is part of what I'm learning while walking.
I got lost (about three hours) and weeks later saw John and now know where I should have turned. I had three hours of alone time and laugh now at the experience.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hi all,

Hola , I have the 2020 edition of the Brierley Portuguese Guide and I think it suffers from being a little rushed in places, there was less attention in the sub-editing between editions (care to comment John???).
Yes you are correct some of the "continues at stage XX on page XXX are not correct". I suggest that you have a careful look at the index of stages (the fold out first page) and then note down the stages/places you are expecting to walk and follow on from there. Buen Camino.

Tony Walsh

Tony in Perth
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria last 120km 2014, Full Camino Frances 2017, Via Francigena 2018, Coast Caomino Portugues 2020
The page number is wrong, go to page 202

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
I have both Brierley 2018/19 and 2020 and the Wise Pilgrim (fro 2018/19 I think). Anyone know if the Wise Pilgrim 2020 has any significant improvements that necesitate buying it??? Thanks

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
... Anyone know if the Wise Pilgrim 2020 has any significant improvements that necesitate buying it??? Thanks
hi Mike, just go to the wisepilgrim.com website, all guides are online and you can see for yourself if they suit your needs. Just read a few pages of them and you see how much better they are than Brierley's ...
BC SY

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks SY - we have the Wise Pilgrim (2018 ed I think as well as the last 2 eds of Brierley). Meeting brother for lunch today to do some stage planning. Oh, BTW, we are now leaving in middle of May, start walking 21 st. So I hopefully will see you in Santiago around 5-7 June. Cheers

Camino(s) past & future
First: 1977 (by train)... Next One of Many by Foot? ASAP!
I had a born again experience when I first saw Brierley's CF maps, and will not betray him now! I've compared the latest Brierley and Wise Pilgrim Camino Portugues guides, and to my tastes it's still Brierley all the way!

2020 plans now include the later CP Central for the first time, and then a re-walk of the Finisterre. Tentatively, I should arrive SdeC from Padron on 24 Sept, and push on to Negreira on 26 Sept.

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I had a born again experience when I first saw Brierley's CF maps, and will not betray him now! I've compared the latest Brierley and Wise Pilgrim Camino Portugues guides, and to my tastes it's still Brierley all the way!

2020 plans now include the later CP Central for the first time, and then a re-walk of the Finisterre. Tentatively, I should arrive SdeC from Padron on 24 Sept, and push on to Negreira on 26 Sept.
Brierley's maps are "the best of the best", imo! Easy to understand, and if off a kilometer or two...who cares! Not me! 😅

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 52 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 297 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 349 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock