• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brierley's Camino Portugues - so confused!

Salpal

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Coastal Camino in May 2020
Hi all,

I'm busy going through John Brierley's guidebook but am just getting more and more confused!
am I being completely blind??? on page 122 - Senda Litoral way - it says "to continue to Esposende/Marinhas on the Caminho da Costa go to p. 198"........
p.198 doesn't continue the route.....what am I missing??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,

I'm busy going through John Brierley's guidebook but am just getting more and more confused!
am I being completely blind??? on page 122 - Senda Litoral way - it says "to continue to Esposende/Marinhas on the Caminho da Costa go to p. 198"........

Yes, you are quite right! He means page 204!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used the Brierley guide on the Camino Frances and it was quite straight forward so I purchased his Portuguese guide. It definately took some "getting used to"...discombobulated is a descriptive word that comes to mind. 😃
Same for me! I suppose it’s the various routes that account for confusion, but the presentation is certainly not helping. Making a note to skip from 122 to 204!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Learning how to be confused and figure out where you are "In The World". Calibrating your self worth and how you can go forward with this new knowledge is part of what I'm learning while walking.
I got lost (about three hours) and weeks later saw John and now know where I should have turned. I had three hours of alone time and laugh now at the experience.

Hi all,

Hola , I have the 2020 edition of the Brierley Portuguese Guide and I think it suffers from being a little rushed in places, there was less attention in the sub-editing between editions (care to comment John???).
Yes you are correct some of the "continues at stage XX on page XXX are not correct". I suggest that you have a careful look at the index of stages (the fold out first page) and then note down the stages/places you are expecting to walk and follow on from there. Buen Camino.

The page number is wrong, go to page 202

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have both Brierley 2018/19 and 2020 and the Wise Pilgrim (fro 2018/19 I think). Anyone know if the Wise Pilgrim 2020 has any significant improvements that necesitate buying it??? Thanks

... Anyone know if the Wise Pilgrim 2020 has any significant improvements that necesitate buying it??? Thanks

hi Mike, just go to the wisepilgrim.com website, all guides are online and you can see for yourself if they suit your needs. Just read a few pages of them and you see how much better they are than Brierley's ...
BC SY

Thanks SY - we have the Wise Pilgrim (2018 ed I think as well as the last 2 eds of Brierley). Meeting brother for lunch today to do some stage planning. Oh, BTW, we are now leaving in middle of May, start walking 21 st. So I hopefully will see you in Santiago around 5-7 June. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a born again experience when I first saw Brierley's CF maps, and will not betray him now! I've compared the latest Brierley and Wise Pilgrim Camino Portugues guides, and to my tastes it's still Brierley all the way!

2020 plans now include the later CP Central for the first time, and then a re-walk of the Finisterre. Tentatively, I should arrive SdeC from Padron on 24 Sept, and push on to Negreira on 26 Sept.

Last edited:
I had a born again experience when I first saw Brierley's CF maps, and will not betray him now! I've compared the latest Brierley and Wise Pilgrim Camino Portugues guides, and to my tastes it's still Brierley all the way!

2020 plans now include the later CP Central for the first time, and then a re-walk of the Finisterre. Tentatively, I should arrive SdeC from Padron on 24 Sept, and push on to Negreira on 26 Sept.
Brierley's maps are "the best of the best", imo! Easy to understand, and if off a kilometer or two...who cares! Not me! 😅

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have 30 coins for you if you switch to Wise Pilgrim.

Due to the covid situation at the time I was not able to do so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am using the Buen Camino app and the Camino Ninja app. Seem really good for this

I have not had any experience with Brierley, mainly because we wanted to travel light. Didn't want to carry a heavy book with us when using the Wise app worked perfectly fine. To put it another way, I liked using Wise for navigation during the day -- very convenient, just a quick glance down at the phone -- and then pulling out the iPad or phone in the evenings to research places visited. Just a personal preference. Walk light and enjoy the scenery was our motto.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did buy the updated kindle version of Brierley's guide because mine is from 2019 (I originally planned CP in May 2020). Even the updated version is confusing.

I have iFit on my Treadmill and I use Wikiloc for hiking at home. I discovered that there are a lot of people posting their CP hikes on Wikiloc. I was able to successfully find each state of the CP on Wikiloc. So I spent MANY hours creating the same maps on my iFit and I can now walk the CP Stages on my Treadmill! As of Yesterday I have hiked from porto to Vigo on the Treadmill.

The good news is if you have the wikiloc app, you can follow someones path on the CP.

Note: Wikiloc app is free, but I paid for it (10.00 per year) because it works with the apple watch and does not drain my iPhone battery when hiking. In 2019 I hiked CF and used all trails. It killed my phone battery within 3 hours..... I have been using Wikiloc to hike our trails at home and my phone has not died once.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back