• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brierly guide book a hindrance?

homa_bird

Just returned from Camino Frances in early October, wonderful. So many had Brierly's guide, and it struck me how the ubiquitousness of that guide has fundamentally changed the camino. No longer an act of faith and trust, the Brierly guide has turned the experience into a consumer product. SO many pilgrims were using the guide to shop for the best albergue, (after reading the spiritual quote for the day) call ahead and make reservations. I chose to just walk, and never had a serious problem on a very crowded camino, and learned more about what i came to learn: how to trust and keep faith; a lesson I sorely needed to integrate. So many people thought i was crazy to not shop and reserve, the pressure was tremendous. It kept me on a solitary path, which is I suppose where i needed to be.

Just saying, here's a product making a lot of money off the camino, billed as a mystical guide, but actually it is a very materialistic guide that has temporarily, fundamentally changed the spirit out there. I am happy for his material success, and happy for all who truly benefit from the guide, I'm just saying i think everyone should think carefully about where the guide might actually take you, and think carefully why it is you are walking, what you are hoping to experience.

Thanks for listening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good post. What does one do if wanting to see or visit historical or significant sites along the Way? Can you get that info while on the Camino? Also, can maps be picked up at the Pilgrim's Office in SJDP? I have read a number of posts from members who said they had a hard time getting that guidebook out of their mind and psyche, but once they let go of that dependence the Camino actually "revealed" itself to them. Maybe, I shall just do a bit more research and know ahead of time what I would like to see/visit and rely only on the maps given at the Pilgrim's Office and see where it all takes me. I am going to do this Camino on faith, not a guidebook, and where ever the path takes me...thus I will go.... But, this is just me and I am not so prideful that if I need extra help along the way that I won't accept it. Most certainly I will in what ever shape it manifests itself!! :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good post! One attribute of the Camino, one of the gifts, perhaps the main gift - should one surrender to The Way - is the removal of fear from the pilgrim ... to learn to live, day by day, and to take on whatever comes, knowing with certainty that one will cope and even enjoy, is a marvellous thing.

That terrible fear which haunts so many people in this world - the fear of "but I don't know what happens next, how will I cope with it?" is removed and this changes one's life forever. True freedom - freedom to BE without fear - "consider the lilies of the field, etc"

The Brierley is a fine guide, a great accompaniment for one's coffee table. It is the sort of thing that one reads when wanting to know more - but there are two things to remember .. if it was really made to carry on Camino it would weigh a fraction of what it does! and, the keyword here is 'guide' - it is a guide, not a manual, not a bible.

Of course, countless people take it as their camino bible, and stay religiously - even fanatically - within the instructions ... such a shame ... the universe is out there, life is out there, unknowing is out there .... I agree with homa-bird - couldn't agree more.

There are quite a few maps of the Camino .. these are handy as they show where one is in the landscape, mark buildings of interest (to the map makers remember) and have telephone numbers of the main refugios - which can make it easier to meet someone one has lost upon the way, I suppose.
The Michelin 160 is rather fine - the Camino laid over real maps so that you can contextualise your journey. Small, light, with all the information one could actually need.

Hmmm ...mixed feelings about this. Having used the Brierly guide, and found it very helpful, I wouldn't want to dismiss it, and the camino can be challenging enough... BUT , to blindly follow the stages he suggests, which people do, seems to lead to congestion at those end stages.
Now, with hindsight, and knowing how incredibly well set up the Frances is, I'd happily just go and walk it with no guides whatsoever, and I do feel I missed out on the feeling of " true freedom" . But I was scared, and the guide was like a comfort blanket!

Brierley is a Camino icon and as, such care should be taken with criticism. He has made the Camino accessible to thousands who otherwise might not have found the courage to attempt the walk. He has offered an invitation and explanation on Camino history etiquette and customs. He opened the door through which so many have entered and were amazed to have discovered such a world. Having said that, his maps are usually correct despite being mis-orientated and often infuriating-said by one whom has been reconnoitering since he was nine years old. Some of his recommendations are very out dated and reflect his own personal experiences and often memories of long ago with little connection to reality. I find his spiritual notes banal. He is only an introduction and I must remain ever grateful to him since through his door my Camino Library has grown to 60 odd books, everything from the Codex translated by Melczer through Starkie to Mullins to Hendrick to Gitlitz and yes even including-some moments of temporary insanity - Hape Kerkeling and Shirley McClain, books on Spanishand Galician history, church architecture and art, Spanish wine and food, and now my newest the marvelous Compostela and Europe-on Diego Gelmirez produced by the Xunta de Galicia. We must accept Brierley as a rosebush, some see the beauty of the blooms while others only feel the thorns, try and accept him as both.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmmm ...mixed feelings about this. Having used the Brierly guide, and found it very helpful, I wouldn't want to dismiss it, and the camino can be challenging enough... BUT , to blindly follow the stages he suggests, which people do, seems to lead to congestion at those end stages.
Now, with hindsight, and knowing how incredibly well set up the Frances is, I'd happily just go and walk it with no guides whatsoever, and I do feel I missed out on the feeling of " true freedom" . But I was scared, and the guide was like a comfort blanket!
Fortview, loved your post. This is exactly how I feel already! I don't go on my Camino until next May, but already have read Brierly's guidebook cover to cover several times. I know it is due to fear of the unknown and feel the need to be in control of any situation...because that is easy.... That is why I have vowed...wow...what a word... to leave the guidebook with my hubby so he can follow me and I will walk in faith knowing that the Camino will be there for me, good/ bad, ugly/beautiful... Scared? You bet!!! Excited? Deleriously so!! :D

I used a guide (the pili pala one to Leon and then the Michelin) as a planning aid on route, where to stay the next day, how far we had walked today, sharing info with other pilgrims and for taking side notes. A guide is not really necessary on the CF because it is so well marked but I probably would take the Michelin when I walk again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And please bear in mind, this guide has only changed the perception of those of us/you whose first language is English - and chose to use it. The Camino is far bigger than one guide in one language ...
Just food for thought. SY
PS The CSJ provides offers a wide array of guidebooks for every taste, from simple accommodation guides to - yes - the Brierley guide...

I have only walked the CF once, in 2010. For me, it was what it was at the time that I walked it. I had nothing to compare it to, so I couldn't make the same comparison to some previous time as the OP has. When I walk CF again, it will be different and that won't be because of Brierley. I expect to meet different pilgrims, stay in different places, walk at a different time of the year and see the countryside differently. It will be what it will be, and I don't expect that it will be at all similar. As @David suggested earlier, Brierley is a guide, not a step by step manual.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have only walked the CF once, in 2010. For me, it was what it was at the time that I walked it. I had nothing to compare it to, so I couldn't make the same comparison to some previous time as the OP has. When I walk CF again, it will be different and that won't be because of Brierley. I expect to meet different pilgrims, stay in different places, walk at a different time of the year and see the countryside differently. It will be what it will be, and I don't expect that it will be at all similar. As @David suggested earlier, Brierley is a guide, not a step by step manual.

This.

Cheryl

No longer an act of faith and trust, the Brierly guide has turned the experience into a consumer product. SO many pilgrims were using the guide to shop for the best albergue, (after reading the spiritual quote for the day) call ahead and make reservations. I chose to just walk, and never had a serious problem on a very crowded camino, and learned more about what i came to learn: how to trust and keep faith; a lesson I sorely needed to integrate.

The topic of this discussion is not clear for me. Is it specific about Brierly or is it about taking a guide anyway?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm going to put a hand up in favour of the guide, for old hands the usefulness of a detailed guide may be very limited, as a mental safety blanket for those considering or starting on their 1st Camino it may be very useful. I paid no heed to his stages as I was comfortable walking 35+ kms a day so if one village was full, another 6 or 8 kms to hit the next village wasn't an issue but when I was planning long days it was useful for planning my coffee breaks.
I came across a couple of new albergues and 2 facilities which no longer exist, e-mailed the details to J. B. and got a very prompt and nice reply so will be interested to see if the next edition is revised accordingly.
Nobody has to take a guide if they don't wish to and as already mentioned there are other choices available for those who do wish to, perhaps that's why God gave us the gift of freewill?

Seamus

Don't you bet that the Codex Calixtinus came in for exactly the same sort of criticism;). A map is not the terrain nor a guidebook the journey.
Personally I found Brierley handy for accommodation (especially when I had a rest day and was using pension/hotel option) his maps and the elevations (it's not the distance but the ascent/descent that get's me)are useful and some of the suggested alternative routes/detours really enhanced my experience by giving me the additional little bit of encouragement to walk those extra km's (I know that I would have found it so easy to 'forget' where to turn off for Eunate or to factor in an extra day to swing by Suso and Yuso)
I have a shocking confession sometimes, when I'm slogging my way through german/swiss/french guides and sites:confused:, I have a fantasy of a whole series of Brierley like guides covering all the Chemin/Jakobsweg/ Camino options...........pilgrim pap for the masses perhaps.......but I want more:oops:

Last edited:
A map is not the terrain nor a guidebook the journey.
as usual Nell, so much more eloquently and elegantly said than I ever could.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The OP states that the Brierley guide is "billed as a mystical guide." I must have missed that. My reading of his guide and his intent was to primarily offer practical information on walking the Camino, and he offered his spiritual reflections, which for me were not that meaningful, as a sidebar. Perhaps I missed some promotional material that claimed this was a "mystical guide," but if not, I suggest that we not assign intent to the author. Again, maybe I missed something. In any event, I found it to be very helpful, primarily in offering guidance on alternate routes to choose from.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just returned from Camino Frances in early October, wonderful. So many had Brierly's guide, and it struck me how the ubiquitousness of that guide has fundamentally changed the camino. No longer an act of faith and trust, the Brierly guide has turned the experience into a consumer product. SO many pilgrims were using the guide to shop for the best albergue, (after reading the spiritual quote for the day) call ahead and make reservations. I chose to just walk, and never had a serious problem on a very crowded camino, and learned more about what i came to learn: how to trust and keep faith; a lesson I sorely needed to integrate. So many people thought i was crazy to not shop and reserve, the pressure was tremendous. It kept me on a solitary path, which is I suppose where i needed to be.

Just saying, here's a product making a lot of money off the camino, billed as a mystical guide, but actually it is a very materialistic guide that has temporarily, fundamentally changed the spirit out there. I am happy for his material success, and happy for all who truly benefit from the guide, I'm just saying i think everyone should think carefully about where the guide might actually take you, and think carefully why it is you are walking, what you are hoping to experience.

Thanks for listening.
I fully agree with your comments. I will walk with no expectations and allow the journey to unfold.

A map is not the terrain nor a guidebook the journey.

as usual Nell, so much more eloquently and elegantly said than I ever could.

Well I'm afraid I can only lay claim to the words-the meaning was provided by Paddy O'Leary, a wise 'old man' in his late forties (well I was 17 at the time). I was acting as lead on a training excercise, self confidence in my newly acquired navigational skills had left us up the proverbial creak without a paddle. Huddled in the lee of a small rock Paddy pulled out his map reminded me of when I'd walked the same route a couple of months back and asked me "what has changed?"......well of course everything had- the season, the weather, the conditions on the ground, visibility, the size of the group (and therefore the pace) my abilities and, critically, my overconfidence.....:oops:.....then he asked "so what hasn't changed?" And after a pause a shaky chorus rang out "the map!"........lesson learned! Of course he led us off safely to climb another day.....with slightly wiser heads on our young shoulders.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances still awaits me. Yes I have read Brierly and its an excellent guide - but (and I know many of you have already stated this) its only a guide. If you want to walk 15 km on day 2 and 25 or 30 on day 5, then that is it, its your choice! What Brierly does is provide the info that you can tailor to make the Camino more your own experience. The real value of Brierly, I believe, is the currency of the info - its as up-to-date as its possible to be for a written book. (I think I saw something about updates on a web site - but then I have read so many books I may be confused). From the many posts on the situation on the Camino Frances, I believe it can be walked with nothing more than a basic map and good amount of trust and maybe that is how it should be. It certainly was how it was 1000 years ago!!:cool:

Thanks for listening.
I agree completely. When one tries of over-manage their Camino, you do lose the Faith aspect a little. We completed our camino in late September of this year without any reservations along the way to SdC. Only one evening did we have to trek beyond our intended stopping place. The anticipation of sleeping in a field that night was a test of faith and kind of an adventure in itself. When we finally arrived at tiny Casa Calzada, we met some wonderful folks and spent one of the happiest nights of our whole Camino.
Thanks for posting this.

Fortview, loved your post. This is exactly how I feel already! I don't go on my Camino until next May, but already have read Brierly's guidebook cover to cover several times. I know it is due to fear of the unknown and feel the need to be in control of any situation...because that is easy.... That is why I have vowed...wow...what a word... to leave the guidebook with my hubby so he can follow me and I will walk in faith knowing that the Camino will be there for me, good/ bad, ugly/beautiful... Scared? You bet!!! Excited? Deleriously so!! :D
You are right!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have absolutely no use for the Brierly guide. We are very lucky in that we can go off season, have a flexible budget, and are confident and experienced travelers with some language skills. On the Frances, there is so much lodging available in off-peak times that we just stop when we are tired and find a place which looks nice. The freedom to wander is wonderful.

If, on the other hand, none of the above applies, that guide can enable some people to make the trip who would not otherwise do it.

Interesting words by all.....My thought is however, if it had not been for the Brierly, well read beforehand, carried, still referred to after my journey, and currently, in its beat up position in my living room, I would probably never have set out on this tremendous experience. Well done Mr. Brierly, without your guide, a great many people would still be lacking "something".

I would not go as far as to saying that the Brierly's guidebook is a hindrance...it is after all a TOOL to be used in the context of a PERSONAL experience. If people feel and choose to call ahead and reserve they will do so whether they use Brierly, the internet, another person, etc... I don't see how making arrangements ahead of time makes someone's Camino better or worse than for those who don't. People need to start realizing that the only Camino they need to worry about is their own.

Brierly has possibly done for the Camino what Frommer or Rick Steeves have done for European travel; break-it-down in workable, plausible, and understandable terms such that the AVERAGE American traveler feel they can tackle what otherwise would seem an unsurmountable task. Again, different traveling styles are OK :) I, personally, do not get anywhere near a Brierley guide because I do not wish to have a "cookie cutter" Camino. That said, those who do use them seem to be having a great time, very happy they have some direction, and overall, I would like to thank Brierly for THAT!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, Olivares! Well said! "People need to start realizing that the only Camino they need to worry about is their own".

My two cents as someone who is currently in Portomarin (stage 30 haha).

I'm surprised at the amount of hating directed toward Mr. Brierley. Breaking the camino into stages is an obvious requirement. I thank Peter Robbins for doing it, as well as Mr. Brierley. Aymeric Picaud did it a thousand years ago and I suspect there were those who declared themselves rich, smart and bilingual enough to to have no use for some damn codex.

Yes, i can see by all the thoughtful posts that Brierly was and is a good thing, a way in, a help and a tool to be picked up if and when needed. thanks for the great replies.

It's a little hard to describe the state of the crowded September camino and the frenzy of worried peregrinos pouring over the guidebook in the afternoon, to assess the coolest albergue, calling ahead for a reservation for the next day; it all felt very fearful and kinda cutthroat. Very often a casual conversation when a fellow pilgrim pulled up beside me to walk together for a bit went something like this: Fellow pilgrim: where are you staying tonight? Me: I don't know, we'll see. FP: you mean you don't have a reservation? We heard (such and such a stretch) is booked solid! What are you going to do? Me: thanks, but I'll just see what happens... and so on. Lots of fear communicated.

I can see how calling ahead to reserve might be a good and necessary thing for large groups? Like 3 or more...I was traveling alone, and that is def easier.

I do suspect, after experiencing such a crowded season, that many, even most private albergue owners leave a few beds free for peregrinos that come in off the road with no reservations. I'm sure of it, in fact. I found that interesting, and heartening.

I eventually learned, when i was feeling the need for companionship, i could i hang out with the younger crowd, 20-30 somethings, and find very little fear of anything in this crowd. Hate to make an age-based discriminatory statement. There was lots of spontaneity, trust, impromptu fun kitchen dinners, flexibilty, easy adjustments. So i guess that's my crowd.

It takes all kinds to make a world, and a camino. I'm grateful for all our differences, and similarities. Grateful to have so many thoughtful replies. Hope this thread has been of some help to those planning a journey in the future.

My two cents as someone who is currently in Portomarin (stage 30 haha).

I'm surprised at the amount of hating directed toward Mr. Brierley. Breaking the camino into stages is an obvious requirement. I thank Peter Robbins for doing it, as well as Mr. Brierley. Aymeric Picaud did it a thousand years ago and I suspect there were those who declared themselves rich, smart and bilingual enough to to have no use for some damn codex.

Definitely no hating goin on. Sorry (and surprised) if you read that in somehow, just a thoughtful discussion. Thanks for your input.

Just in case I have been misunderstood, my understanding is that the Brierley couple are delightful people - and I think the guide is a good guide, it certainly has found a niche in the pilgrim heart. I have two copies at home, the new one which I have had for nine months and hasn't ever been opened and a very much thumbed and battered one, proper coffee table browser.
I was really trying to say that it is a great book to read before and after the Camino but not necessary to take with you (me)

And everyone's Camino is their own - Buen Camino ;)

Good post! One attribute of the Camino, one of the gifts, perhaps the main gift - should one surrender to The Way - is the removal of fear from the pilgrim ... to learn to live, day by day, and to take on whatever comes, knowing with certainty that one will cope and even enjoy, is a marvellous thing.

That terrible fear which haunts so many people in this world - the fear of "but I don't know what happens next, how will I cope with it?" is removed and this changes one's life forever. True freedom - freedom to BE without fear - "consider the lilies of the field, etc"

The Brierley is a fine guide, a great accompaniment for one's coffee table. It is the sort of thing that one reads when wanting to know more - but there are two things to remember .. if it was really made to carry on Camino it would weigh a fraction of what it does! and, the keyword here is 'guide' - it is a guide, not a manual, not a bible.

Of course, countless people take it as their camino bible, and stay religiously - even fanatically - within the instructions ... such a shame ... the universe is out there, life is out there, unknowing is out there .... I agree with homa-bird - couldn't agree more.

There are quite a few maps of the Camino .. these are handy as they show where one is in the landscape, mark buildings of interest (to the map makers remember) and have telephone numbers of the main refugios - which can make it easier to meet someone one has lost upon the way, I suppose.
The Michelin 160 is rather fine - the Camino laid over real maps so that you can contextualise your journey. Small, light, with all the information one could actually need.

totally agree about the Michelin map...that was what i carried and it was excellent. also agree about the freedom from fear...definitely what i needed, and sought, to learn while walking. though i didn't know it when I began.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On your first Camino Frances, it's a good idea to bring a guide book. If you find you don't want or need it, give it away. A guide book is useful for many, many reasons. Carrying a guide book has nothing to do with carrying a "fearful" mindset. I met a Bavarian walking his 2nd CF. He used his German guide book as a Pilgrim's Passport and all his sellos were stamped in the book, it looked so cool!

On your first Camino Frances, it's a good idea to bring a guide book. If you find you don't want or need it, give it away. A guide book is useful for many, many reasons. Carrying a guide book has nothing to do with carrying a "fearful" mindset. I met a Bavarian walking his 2nd CF. He used his German guide book as a Pilgrim's Passport and all his sellos were stamped in the book, it looked so cool!

Agree - what I meant was those who used it as a manual, a bible, not to be detoured from .. who went from day to day exactly etc - not those who used it as a guide

Homa Bird-- I applaud you for having the conviction that the Camino will provide and to act accordingly. However, not everybody is "wired" the same way and would be comfortable with this approach. I think you are reading way too much on this calling lodging ahead. For over a thousand years, pilgrims with means will send emisaries ahead to prepare their arrival. Fast Forward a thousand years and those emisaries are now called emails, phone calls, or skype. I don't advise on judging others' people Camino because I know for sure that nobody would get mine right....

Forgot to say in my other post that the first guide I bought was Brierleys. I found it a good guide to study but as for bringing it I found it too heavy, about an inch too long so it wouldn't fit in the cargo pocket of my walking pants. IMO he could have left out the Mystical Path and Personal reflections because they are personal to each pilgrim. The maps were good, showing alternate routes and the accomodation details were good also. If he published a Camino de Santiago Lite guide I would consider bringing it.
Many of the pilgrims I met who were using Brierley were ripping the pages out as they went so it got lighter but doing this to any book is against my nature.

Forgot to say in my other post that the first guide I bought was Brierleys. I found it a good guide to study but as for bringing it I found it too heavy, about an inch too long so it wouldn't fit in the cargo pocket of my walking pants. IMO he could have left out the Mystical Path and Personal reflections because they are personal to each pilgrim. The maps were good, showing alternate routes and the accomodation details were good also. If he published a Camino de Santiago Lite guide I would consider bringing it.
Many of the pilgrims I met who were using Brierley were ripping the pages out as they went so it got lighter but doing this to any book is against my nature.
But Wayfarer that's the point! Because you can't fit it in the cargo pocket you have to STOP WALKING take it out from your pack, find the relevant page and read it all this takes about 3 to 4 minutes for a novice (10 minutes if you're an old hand:D).....thus providing a perfect little Brierley 'breather'. Thanks to our beloved Mr B instead of looking a bit of a wimp/ette why one is merely pausing to reference ones guide........;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The concept of what make a guidebook useful or not is dependent on the needs of the individual, at that time. Therefore for all it is subject to their specific needs and subject to change due to their individual experiences.

For example when my wife and I first walked the camino frances route, we took and used Ben Cole's guidebook. It was useful as far we were concerned because it provided basic logistical and accommodation information about each stage, along the entire route. It also provided some brief historical and culture and culinary information.

We would learn after the walk the logistical information was nice to have but not critical since the route was well marked and there were plenty of albergues and other forms of information on accommodation along the way. Had we left without the guidebook, logistically we could have continued without it with any serious issue. At no time did I think the guidebook hindered our experience of doing the camino.

When we walked the Via Francigena in Italy, it was necessary to make our guidebooks; a basic one plus stage maps, to provide us with logistic information on the route since none in English at that time existed, and a cultural and culinary guidebook since we learned from doing the camino in Spain, we wanted more information on these two topics which we found most guidebooks seem to only briefly cover.

Given the lack of signage and lack of suitable pilgrim style accommodation on the Via Francigena at that time, I could not have imagined doing it without some form of guidebook (good or bad).

The next time I walked the camino frances four years later, I took the same Ben Cole guidebook, but I hardly used it since for one it was out of date and for another I really did not need it. I was more into experiencing what came my way when it did and less interested in reading about it before hand.

My wife who just finished walking the camino frances again by herself only carried Brierley's map book. She instead took personal notes on other topics not covered by his guidebook on her iPod touch. But like myself she "threw" the map book out so to speak and went with what suited her at the time. All she knew is that she needed to be Santiago by a certain date in order to catch her flight.

I think as you continue to walk either the same trail or different trails your experience changes and what makes a good guidebook is very dependent on your personal desire at that time and dependent on the trail itself.

The concept of what make a guidebook useful or not is dependent on the needs of the individual, at that time. Therefore for all it is subject to their specific needs and subject to change due to their individual experiences...

...I think as you continue to walk either the same trail or different trails your experience changes and what makes a good guidebook is very dependent on your personal desire at that time and dependent on the trail itself.

I agree with jirit.

I have walked with a guide (e.g. Camino del Norte) and without (e.g. Via Aurelia). I prefer to know where there is accommodation, food and beer. Tourist Information Offices generally have the most up to date information.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've wasted enough time wandering around in circles not finding the way. I now use maps and guides for any trip I undertake. The routes described are usually rugged enough to remove any desire or need to go bushwacking in the hope of finding new spectacles or pioneering new and better routes.

I used Brierley's books for Camino Frances and Camino Finisterre and found them to be a reliable source of information. It takes a lot of skill and effort to organize information like that in a logical way and keep it up to date. I would recommend Brierley's guides to anyone.

I bought the Brierley book earlier this year when I started planning for my Sept 2014 Camino, and it's now very well-thumbed. I have always done a lot of research and planning for any of my travels, mainly because that's a very enjoyable part of the process for me. I tend to plan in great detail, and then frequently go off-plan - there's something about being well-prepared which (for me) allows for more enjoyable spontaneity than just heading off without a clear idea of what I am going to do. I've been finding Brierley really good - I like the clear maps (I know they're not to scale, but they give a good idea of the route, especially where there are options). I'll take the guide book with me when I go (which is still 10 months away so being me I'll probably have the next edition if there is one by then), although I appreciate it's not really necessary. I won't be sticking to his stages, unless they coincide with where I decide I want to be - although I think in a guide book as others have said you have to break it up somehow. And I don't think the book is too heavy - having lugged around the mighty Lonely Planet books in the past, Brierley seems a feather-weight!

The Brierley Map Book is considerably lighter than the Brierley Guide Book. It only contains the daily stage maps, contour guides, town plans and a short description of what trail condition walkers should expect.
I found it quite sufficient, small and light enough to carry in a ziplock bag, together with my credential, in my trouser pocket.
The following link gives access to sample pages 76 & 78. 77 & 79 being the maps to the right.
http://www.caminoguides.com/mapsonly_frances/sample.html
Regds
Gerard

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used Brierleys guide for Camino Portugues and found it very usefull. Have now done it 5 times in different ways and know the Way well but sometimes I still need some extra Info and get it from the guide. That could be any guide but I like the brierley guide. Especialy the detours he mentions, they give the " Well known camino" some new imprecions. I know that the use of a guidebook tells more about me then about the writer, but it is good to have for extra Info.

The OP states that the Brierley guide is "billed as a mystical guide." I must have missed that. My reading of his guide and his intent was to primarily offer practical information on walking the Camino, and he offered his spiritual reflections, which for me were not that meaningful, as a sidebar. Perhaps I missed some promotional material that claimed this was a "mystical guide," but if not, I suggest that we not assign intent to the author. Again, maybe I missed something. In any event, I found it to be very helpful, primarily in offering guidance on alternate routes to choose from.

To clarify: Printed on the front cover of each of the 3 Brierly guides (Portugues, Finistere, Frances): "A practical and mystical manual for the modern day pilgrim". (The OP)

I'm just going to fly off the seat of my pants for a minute, because, why not? It's been an interesting discussion, and I love all the thoughtful replies about our beloved Camino, and I know we are all going to be careful not to get near that tiresome and silly question of who/what is a true pilgrim, who/what is not. I personally champion and am touched by all who walk, I don't believe there is any need of or use in comparing those who taxi luggage from Parador to Parador and those who attempt to walk without a dime in their pocket. All come for perfect reasons, and learn what they come to learn. The Camino is there for all of us in every stage of life. It's an amazing place.

My strong language in the OP: re "hindrance?" was intentional...I am an admitted idealist, and all may flay me for that, I expect it, have no problems with that. I thought long and hard about even voicing my opinion, but as this is a forum, I figure, well, this is where we talk about camino related things. So, talk about them I am. Warning: I am going to talk about matters spiritual here.

from a reviewer writing about Brierly's guidebooks on Amazon:
"...every time we did not take his advice for where to overnight, we regretted it; when we followed his advice, things came off fabulously."

The sentiment embedded in this response goes to the heart of why I made the original post. And there is something crucial at stake here, or I wouldn't belabor the point.

People walk the Camino for so many different reasons. However, a trend is beginning: this is what I'd like to speak to. With the huge numbers of folks walking with the Brierly guide, there is an impact. I'm not saying it is bad or good. The original post had a question mark, did it not? I'm inviting all of us to consider something extremely important here. I'm not so arrogant to think i know jack sh#*, but I know what I feel, and here goes.

What doused my day, what made me want to speed up and lose a fellow pilgrim quicker than lightning, and what seemed aided and abetted by the sheer proliferation of the Brierly guide, were the conversations about personal comfort achieved, the high-grading of albergues/refugios/hostals, the success of making it through another day with no upsets or disappointments, a sort of one-ups-manship of great meals found and consumed, the untrammeled, vacation-like goal that felt a bit competitive. EG: One fellow pilgrim said to me in passing: "Brierly said (such and such) albergue was mystical, so i taxied there to make sure I got a place. But it was no big deal." I guess I think of all this as the commodification of the Camino. It bored me silly, and frustrated me when this was, time and again, the main topic of conversation.

What made my day, what made my heart sing and dance and made me want to hug and laugh and be warmly with my fellow travelers, was when they truly opened up and shared what was in their heart, when we locked step and side-stepped creature comforts entirely and talked about the divine, about our lives back home, about the extraordinary gratitude we felt just to be here. When we laughed at things that had gone wrong, even terribly wrong sometimes, how this led us just where we needed to be. How that gratitude and acceptance and taking things as they were, learning to have no fear, to trust in whatever you picture the divine to be, how sacred and glorious and freeing that is.

As the Amazon reader states above; Brierly offers a kind of cocoon, a way to have thing come off predictably fabulously. How is that mystical? I am glad it has been so useful to folks. I'm very glad there have been benefits. I have no doubt he is the loveliest of people. I know if I met him, I would feel so honored. My point is that it is becoming so popular, so ubiquitous, so impactful. I wonder if it isn't changing the spiritual terrain, just a bit. Is that bad or good? I am no authority.

Many will message me again and tell me to walk my own Camino and let others walk theirs. I couldn't agree more. I must admit, though, I do love a discussion that takes us deeper.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm just going to fly off the seat of my pants for a minute, because, why not? It's been an interesting discussion, and I love all the thoughtful replies about our beloved Camino, and I know we are all going to be careful not to get near that tiresome and silly question of who/what is a true pilgrim, who/what is not. I personally champion and am touched by all who walk, I don't believe there is any need of or use in comparing those who taxi luggage from Parador to Parador and those who attempt to walk without a dime in their pocket. All come for perfect reasons, and learn what they come to learn. The Camino is there for all of us in every stage of life. It's an amazing place.

My strong language in the OP: re "hindrance?" was intentional...I am an admitted idealist, and all may flay me for that, I expect it, have no problems with that. I thought long and hard about even voicing my opinion, but as this is a forum, I figure, well, this is where we talk about camino related things. So, talk about them I am. Warning: I am going to talk about matters spiritual here.

from a reviewer writing about Brierly's guidebooks on Amazon:
"...every time we did not take his advice for where to overnight, we regretted it; when we followed his advice, things came off fabulously."

The sentiment embedded in this response goes to the heart of why I made the original post. And there is something crucial at stake here, or I wouldn't belabor the point.

People walk the Camino for so many different reasons. However, a trend is beginning: this is what I'd like to speak to. With the huge numbers of folks walking with the Brierly guide, there is an impact. I'm not saying it is bad or good. The original post had a question mark, did it not? I'm inviting all of us to consider something extremely important here. I'm not so arrogant to think i know jack sh#*, but I know what I feel, and here goes.

What doused my day, what made me want to speed up and lose a fellow pilgrim quicker than lightning, and what seemed aided and abetted by the sheer proliferation of the Brierly guide, were the conversations about personal comfort achieved, the high-grading of albergues/refugios/hostals, the success of making it through another day with no upsets or disappointments, a sort of one-ups-manship of great meals found and consumed, the untrammeled, vacation-like goal that felt a bit competitive. EG: One fellow pilgrim said to me in passing: "Brierly said (such and such) albergue was mystical, so i taxied there to make sure I got a place. But it was no big deal." I guess I think of all this as the commodification of the Camino. It bored me silly, and frustrated me when this was, time and again, the main topic of conversation.

What made my day, what made my heart sing and dance and made me want to hug and laugh and be warmly with my fellow travelers, was when they truly opened up and shared what was in their heart, when we locked step and side-stepped creature comforts entirely and talked about the divine, about our lives back home, about the extraordinary gratitude we felt just to be here. When we laughed at things that had gone wrong, even terribly wrong sometimes, how this led us just where we needed to be. How that gratitude and acceptance and taking things as they were, learning to have no fear, to trust in whatever you picture the divine to be, how sacred and glorious and freeing that is.

As the Amazon reader states above; Brierly offers a kind of cocoon, a way to have thing come off predictably fabulously. How is that mystical? I am glad it has been so useful to folks. I'm very glad there have been benefits. I have no doubt he is the loveliest of people. I know if I met him, I would feel so honored. My point is that it is becoming so popular, so ubiquitous, so impactful. I wonder if it isn't changing the spiritual terrain, just a bit. Is that bad or good? I am no authority.

Many will message me again and tell me to walk my own Camino and let others walk theirs. I couldn't agree more. I must admit, though, I do love a discussion that takes us deeper.
So well stated and well argued. I could not agree more with your comments.

Coincidently, a few days ago I decided that my walk in March/14 would be without the Brierleys. It is my journey. Also I have no criticism of those who follow its direction. That is their journey. Its their right path. For me, it is to follow my intuition and allow the journey to unfold. For me - The Camino will be whatever it is without any extra guidance.

So well stated and well argued. I could not agree more with your comments.

Coincidently, a few days ago I decided that my walk in March/14 would be without the Brierleys. It is my journey. Also I have no criticism of those who follow its direction. That is their journey. Its their right path. For me, it is to follow my intuition and allow the journey to unfold. For me - The Camino will be whatever it is without any extra guidance.

In my opinion, every guide book -- except for some of the better specialist cyclist ones I've seen (some of the Spanish Camino books for cyclists are gorgeous) -- is a hindrance to everything of importance on the Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'd have struggled without the CSJ or Spanish guide for the Salvador so they have their place.

I never took a guide on the Frances, people tried to give me maps or walk me into bookshops as I didnt have a copy of Brierley. All I had was a list of towns, albergues, bars and distances from the Godesalco site. I walked until I was either tired, somewhere nice, a personal goal for the day or ran into friends. It made it a real journey into the unknown, a proper adventure. I knew where I had to be and when and I made my own stages to achieve it.

For some people they have never been in this situation. If having a guide and a plan brings them comfort then so what? Santiago doesn't care how you got there, only that you went. It's a bit like criticising those who use Jacotrans. If it is the difference between doing it and not doing it then it is fine in my book.

There are things that might enhance the experience but for many simply putting a rucksack on is new territory. We've all got differing appetites for newness and the unknow.

I'd have struggled without the CSJ or Spanish guide for the Salvador so they have their place.

I never took a guide on the Frances, people tried to give me maps or walk me into bookshops as I didnt have a copy of Brierley. All I had was a list of towns, albergues, bars and distances from the Godesalco site. I walked until I was either tired, somewhere nice, a personal goal for the day or ran into friends. It made it a real journey into the unknown, a proper adventure. I knew where I had to be and when and I made my own stages to achieve it.

For some people they have never been in this situation. If having a guide and a plan brings them comfort then so what? Santiago doesn't care how you got there, only that you went. It's a bit like criticising those who use Jacotrans. If it is the difference between doing it and not doing it then it is fine in my book.

There are things that might enhance the experience but for many simply putting a rucksack on is new territory. We've all got differing appetites for newness and the unknow.
Well stated.

I think that those negative behaviours you came across are a natural function of the increase in numbers of pilgrims and the consequent increase in the percentage of those you describe who want/need a 'Camino cocoon' and unfortunately (God help us) an increase in the percentage of 'Pilgrimzillas' :(.
Brierley's guide was first published 10 years ago in 2003. Tracking the sales figures shows a gentle incremental upward curve but the really big surge in sales numbers of Brierley's guide shadows the release of the movie 'The Way'. Therefore it seems that the movie has had more critical mass in terms of driving numbers up than any guide. Which makes sense when you think about it as guides are what might be referred to as 2nd wave influencers-you look at/buy a guide because you've already made a step (at the very least towards making a decision and for most of us actually the decision itself) to commit to the journey. But a movie such as The way is a powerful 'first wave' influencer and it's strength lies in connecting in a immediate, almost visceral (sound-vision-narrative-emotion), way to a much much broader audience.
I think it's that evangelical impact that sent/sends 'camino converts' running out to buy guides with an unprecedented immediacy. Indeed I've read of and spoken to people who have said that when they saw the movie they, even though they'd never heard of the Camino before, came out inspired to make the journey come hell or high water. Those people (generally English speaking) naturally look/ed for an english language guide.
And there you have it the conditions for 'a perfect storm':eek: an inspirational movie about the Camino (and a pretty tasty leading man-sorry I'm a Sheen groupie) plus a well established 'tried and tested' english language guidebook. If there was no Brierley the gap would have been filled and, with a film merchandising op like that, with who knows what. But the odds are it wouldn't be more thoughtful a guide than Brierley's.
Amazon is about flogging books so of course they are going to 'big it up' even use scare tactics to drive up sales figures but there are plenty of peer reviews, both pro and con, available to anyone who wants a more informed assessment.
John Brierley has walked the CF and done it- shall we say the traditional way? In fact there is a gentle but clear bias towards, and encouragement of, the staying in albergues carrying your own pack approach in the text (at least in the 2009 edition). The authors approach is one that advocates kindness and consideration and his spirituality seems to be very inclusive -Gordon Gekko he ain't!
Brierley as prime 'causitive' agent for those Pilgrimzilla behaviours? I don't think it's as simple as that but I'm glad you asked!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry you had so much "dousing your day". I walked the exact same time you did and only experienced what you describe as "making your day".

Hmm... I have managed perfectly on my Caminos with the help of the Confraternity of Saint James (CSJ ) lowcost guides and the free Godesalco profile maps and stage planning, laminated and in my backpack. The rest I take as it comes. Have just finished my initial daily plan on Godesalco, but not a plan I will follow to the letter: I will stop when I want to, and spend the time I need. The blessed freedom and new life of the Camino is what I value the most, and being a pensioner, I have absolutely no intention to participate in the "bed race": On the contrary; I need to slow myself down next spring. And so I will. And should I have to sleep out for a night or two; No problem. But I strongly believe everything will work out quite nicely, actually.

A fantastic walk planning tool:
http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Combined with:
http://www.csj.org.uk/
and their incredibly cheap guide:
http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_to_Spain_23.html

PS: I have posted this, with links, as help for the new ones in our flock.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pilgrimzillas?

The word "bridezilla" is a portmanteau (thank you Scruffy) of bride and the fictional rampaging beast "Godzilla"to indicate a difficult bride. Adopted from a TV series of the same name showing the stories of two brides centering primarily on the bride's interactions with members of their family, their grooms's family, members of the wedding party and various wedding service providers etc. The interactions are generally negative exposing the brides-to-be as uncontrollable, emotional bullies using whatever means necessary to get what they want at any cost.....hence "Pilgrimzilla"........ now there's a docudrama I could do without;)

Last edited:
I think that those negative behaviours you came across are a natural function of the increase in numbers of pilgrims and the consequent increase in the percentage of those you describe who want/need a 'Camino cacoon' and unfortunately (God help us) an increase in the percentage of 'Pilgrimzillas' :(.
Brierley's guide was first published 10 years ago in 2003. Tracking the sales figures shows an gentle incremental upward curve but the really big surge in sales numbers of Brierley's guide shadows the release of the movie 'The Way'. Therefore it seems that the movie has had more critical mass in terms of driving numbers up than any guide. Which makes sense when you think about it as guides are what might be referred to as 2nd wave influencers-you look at/buy a guide because you've already made a step (at the very least towards making a decision and for most of us actually the decision itself) to commit to the journey. But a movie such as The way is a powerful 'first wave' influencer and it's strength lies in connecting in a immediate, almost visceral (sound-vision-narrative-emotion), way to a much much broader audience.
I think it's that evangelical impact that sent/sends 'camino converts' running out to buy a guides with an unprecedented immediacy. Indeed I've read of and spoken to people who have said that when they saw the movie, even though they'd never heard of the Camino before, came out inspired to make the journey come hell or high water. Those people (generally English speaking) naturally look/ed for an english language guide.
And there you have it the conditions for 'a perfect storm':eek: an inspirational movie about the Camino (and a pretty tasty leading man-sorry I'm a Sheen groupie) plus a well established 'tried and tested' english language guidebook. If there was no Brierley the gap would have been filled and, with a film merchandising op like that, with who knows what. But the odds are it wouldn't be more thoughtful a guide than Brierley's.
Amazon is about flogging books so of course they are going to 'big it up' even use scare tactics to drive up sales figures but there are plenty of peer reviews, both pro and con, available to anyone who wants a more informed assessment.
John Brierley has walked the CF and done it- shall we say the traditional way? In fact there is a gentle but clear bias towards, and encouragement of, the staying in albergues carrying your own pack approach in the text (at least in the 2009 edition). The authors approach is one that advocates kindness and consideration and his spirituality seems to be very inclusive -Gordon Gekko he ain't!
Brierley as prime 'causitive' agent for those Pilgrimzilla behaviours? I don't think it's as simple as that but I'm glad you asked!

Great points, well taken! Thanks so much, you've expanded my thinking...I'm very grateful to you.

Not a hybrid, the proper term is portmanteau a wonderful word in itself but it means just that

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In my opinion, every guide book -- except for some of the better specialist cyclist ones I've seen (some of the Spanish Camino books for cyclists are gorgeous) -- is a hindrance to everything of importance on the Camino.

...and that my friends is the classic post to illustrate the phrase "To each its own". :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I enjoyed the Brierley guide on both the Camino Frances in 2012 and the Portuguese in 2013 but halfway thorough the Frances I started to stay beyond the recommended guide stops at smaller Albergue's and found
this to be a good move. I didn't rely on the Portuguese guide as much as I only stayed in one Albergue, but both times it proved to be useful regarding the next lunch/coffee/fonte location:) and distance guide.
I was looking forward to a no guide Camino Ingles after my Portuguese this year but the rain came in hard on the last day in Santiago, so I headed to Barcelona and the good weather, so didn't get to walk the Ingles.
Next year will be Southern England and the Canal walks so don't know when I will be back in Spain.....maybe a different season (Spring walk) of the Frances in the future....maybe...with no guide book now i know the drill:)

I used the Brierly guide as an indication of where not to go. Only on a few days did I do what I referred to as Brierly days as everyone else seemed to be taking it as gospel and must get to Brierly's destinations. By stopping in mid Brierly sections I found some great albergues and some not mentioned in his guide. In fact, two of the best I stayed in were not in his guide. One hospitalero told us that although recommended no-one from the Brierly guide had ever visited him, he had paid a fee to be included. A much better guide was the Dutch one. It was put together from reports coming back from Dutch pilgrims and was somewhat more truthful. Warnings of really tough sections are accurate rather than a 'steep climb through pleasant woodlands' as per Brierly. Fortunately for me I had teamed up with a Dutvh pilgrim so had the benefit of his translations. We decided each night where we would finish the next day and off we went each morning on our separate days walk (I walked far too slow for him) and we would meet in the designated town then pick usually the first albergue we came to. From about Mazarif to Santiago, Brierly seldom came out of my pack. If I go back, I will bring only his map book for no other reason than to plan distances each day

I've been following this thread since the beginning and I find it strange that no one in this modern technological world has mentioned the enormous treasure that you can now find, simply by typing in Camino de Santiago on your computer. I think it is usually much more actual than a printed guide book. You can find out all about routes, where to stay, what to do and see, what is recommended and what not, etc etc.
All you then have to do is print out the pages that interest you, make your own notes and there you have it, your own personal guide book, compiled by many sources and people! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found the Brierley guide useful, with reservations. I liked the maps, even though they were very simple. It was helpful to know how far it was to the next town or water supply. I also liked the information he gave about sites to see along the way. I was frustrated by his less-than-realistic descriptions of trail conditions in some places (as the previous poster said, "steep climb through pleasant woodlands" to describe rough, very steep terrain.) The book is too heavy and too big because of all the historical descriptions, mystical stuff, repeating his prose in other languages, pages for your notes, etc. After a few weeks, I saw only the book's flaws, but after someone stole my copy in Ponferrada, I realized how much I had depended on the maps. I tried to buy another one, but no Spanish bookstores I found had this book or any other English camino guide until I reached O Cebreiro, where I found the English Michelin guide for the camino. The Michelin guide is the one I'll use next time - it doesn't weigh much, but has the maps, elevation changes, and lists of lodging by town. And even though I missed knowing where I was at all times after my book was stolen, and was a bit scared of that not-knowing, I got along fine without knowing where I was. The camino is well-marked; everything worked out just fine.

I did not follow Brierley's "stages" - I walked as much or as little as I wanted. I never made any reservations, and only once did I have to walk on to the next town because of no vacancies where I had hoped to stop. The people I walked with did not seem to be slavishly following Brierley's recs, although most of the English-speakers had a copy.

I did find that I had to calibrate his recommendations after a couple of unfortunate incidents (one of them a sexual assault that resulted in the arrest of a hostel worker): when he raved about some place, calling the proprietor a "friend to pilgrims", etc., I realized that meant "run the other way - run fast, run far." I don't know how this happened - maybe the information is old, or maybe, like some restaurant critics, the owners know who he is, so he gets really good treatment. There are so many variables that it's hard to guess why there was so much discrepancy between his experience and what I experienced. The book is not the camino, as others have said.

Since I walked on to Finisterre, I also bought his Camino Finisterre guide. This was not a very good book, much worse than his Camino guide. His description of how to get out of Santiago and its suburbs was very poor - we were lost for a couple of hours. The trail is poorly marked through these suburbs, and most of the locals also didn't know where the trail was, so some good directions for this section are very necessary. His directions were so bad that I wondered if he had actually walked this route. And once you are lost, his maps are so simplistic that they are useless. He has taken three pages of maps and turned it into a $20 book by adding lots of historical filler and translations of all this filler into Spanish. The historical info was interesting, but I didn't want to carry it around with me. I wish he had spent more time making the directions accurate.

Last edited:
It was only after completing our first Camino in 2008, that I realized that we had walked the whole way across Spain without a map!
In fact, we have never used a map, even on the lesser known routes. Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.