• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bring-a Bolsa !

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
...another item to consider because of it's multi-use is a reusable foldable bag...1) The grocery stores in Spain do not provide bags ( you can buy them ) but they prefer you honor the earth and bring your own 2) it serves as my under the seat carry on when flying with the bits I don't put in my backpack in the overhead 3) it's the most fabulous 'catch all / hold all' using an 's' hook to hold it over the shower door...throw everything you need in it and you're on your way to the shower.( soap, razor, clean clothes, comb, deodorant, towel ) ...throw everything in it again to head to the laundry ( laundry soap, dirty clothes, clothes pins ) ...Cool huh?
Many different ones available, mine happen to be by Rume and Land's End, plenty on eBay & Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 76
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recommend Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil daypack, 20 liter capacity, but weighs only 2.5oz. When not in uses, It folds into attached sack that can fit in the palm of your hand and clip on you belt. It's a little pricey at $32 at REI, but it is extremely durable.

https://www.rei.com/product/136763/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-travel-day-pack

I once used a free give-away collapsible daypack, but the straps easily broke after only a couple uses.

-Paul

I recommend Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil daypack, 20 liter capacity, but weighs only 2.5oz. When not in uses, It folds into attached sack that can fit in the palm of your hand and clip on you belt. It's a little pricey at $32 at REI, but it is extremely durable.

I once used a free give-away collapsible daypack, but the straps easily broke after only a couple uses.

-Paul
I have a JR Gear that looks exactly the same but a third of the price. Have used it a lot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a JR Gear that looks exactly the same but a third of the price. Have used it a lot.
I agree with trimming some expense on gear where possible. Where I'd never dream of skimping on my hikers, backpack, or poles...lots of items can be found for much less at random sites. If one does their due diligence, generally it's found that products sold at expensive gear stores such as REI, EMS, etc...are manufactured in Taiwan. Many times, with a bit more research, one can find the same exact item , minus the fancy name, for a fraction of the cost. My bags were gifts and have survived numerous trips and three camino so far. My silk liner ordered directly from Vietnam on Etsy was a fraction of the big brands...same exact thing. Bottom line, if you've time and patience to research and shop, you'll find the deals and if you can look beyond a flashy brand name, you'll find an even better one !

I used a reusable grocery bag on my first Camino and highly recommended it to others. I did reinforce the straps and washed it — carrying dirty laundry and food in the same bag yields potential trouble. I go for keep it simple. Will be taking one on my third Camino next year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Aren't you the one who posted about the wrap skirt? You need to put together a list of handy tips and pointers. I like the ones you've posted so far.
LOL...yes. I've done a few caminos and I'm a natural researcher ( of everything, all the time! ) I've found a few handy dandy items for my travels and have tested out most of what I've shared. Not everything one suggests will suit others, and there are always those who seek to bash any and all suggestions or insist their way/item is the best and only solution...lol I like to just offer suggestions for things/tricks I've found/used for others to consider..( don't necessarily enjoy being in a camino gear pissing match...lol ) Always willing to share...why reinvent the wheel?

I used a reusable grocery bag on my first Camino and highly recommended it to others. I did reinforce the straps and washed it — carrying dirty laundry and food in the same bag yields potential trouble. I go for keep it simple. Will be taking one on my third Camino next year.
You make a valid point about laundry and food in same bag. Can't say that I've placed unwrapped food, or food without peels/rind in the bags ever...Can't say as I've put extremely grungy clothing in the clean bags...certainly can say I've never put the two together. Will add that the bags I had were completely washable and dried in no time as they are lightweight nylon/ripstop. I think that if others share your same concern, it's possible to invert the bags for specific uses ie; food/clothing...?

...another item to consider because of it's multi-use is a reusable foldable bag...1) The grocery stores in Spain do not provide bags ( you can buy them ) but they prefer you honor the earth and bring your own 2) it serves as my under the seat carry on when flying with the bits I don't put in my backpack in the overhead 3) it's the most fabulous 'catch all / hold all' using an 's' hook to hold it over the shower door...throw everything you need in it and you're on your way to the shower.( soap, razor, clean clothes, comb, deodorant, towel ) ...throw everything in it again to head to the laundry ( laundry soap, dirty clothes, clothes pins ) ...Cool huh?
Many different ones available, mine happen to be by Rume and Land's End, plenty on eBay & Amazon
I used one of these bags on both of my walks in Spain and anywhere else I have travelled. They are very lightweight, extremely small when folded up, easily washable and you can tie the handles together and wrap it around your wrist to prevent theft if you are walking in a crowd. This is one of my "must-haves" on any trip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used one of these bags on both of my walks in Spain and anywhere else I have travelled. They are very lightweight, extremely small when folded up, easily washable and you can tie the handles together and wrap it around your wrist to prevent theft if you are walking in a crowd. This is one of my "must-haves" on any trip.
Can also safety pin or tie each handle to each side of backpack for added space to carry something !

I used a string backpack the same way but it was good for multiple things including for holding showerggoods. About with food contamination, I got a couple plastic bags along the way when buying fruit, and reused them to keep food separate. Great ideas at any rate to have some sort of shopping bag.

-Paul

The Sea to Summit bag is what I have and love, at home or away!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.