• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing a camera?

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
I wanted to see if a) anyone has brought a camera on the camino and b) what worked for you in terms of a case, showering, going to dinner, etc.

I have an Olympus OMD EM1 mirrorless camera (500g with battery) that takes great photos, and a few lenses for it (two nice pancake lenses that are 87g and 55g, or a 300g zoom). I'm debating not bringing it, but pretty sure I'll regret that when I get home.

Any thoughts from people who have done a camino before? Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used to take cameras, now rely on the smartphone. If you do take a camera, it is useless unless easy to access. One year my daughter, who was a professional photographer at the time, took her good SLR camera. It stayed in the bag most of the time, because it was too much of a fuss to take it out and set up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my first Camino I came home with 2000 photographs! All day long I film everything which interested me - scenery, flowers, people, fellow pilgrims, places of interest I walked through, churches, altars and chapels. Every evening delete delete delete all the bad ones allowing me to think about my day. 850 kilometers and after a year or so you will remember only the epiphanies not the everyday joys of walking the Camino. One hint, take a photo of the sign at the entrance to every hamlet, village, and town which is posted, you will then have a very easy reference for your pictures and will not be tortured later by "Where in blue blazes did I take this picture?". The newer cellular phones, not me of couse I'm as anachronistic as the dinosaurs-no phone, those owned by family members all have fantastic cameras, no bulk and no weight

I brought a Sony rx100 m3. The case was an old heavily modified Sony small camcorder case which remained strapped to the left strap of my backpack. If I saw a scene I wanted to shoot, I would just unzip, pull it out, shoot, put it away, and rezip. It held the camera, 2 extra batteries, and the smallest Sony USB battery charging unit I had ever seen. I took the camera, wallet, and fresh clothes into the shower with me in a dry bag. That drybag was primarily used as protection for my clothes against a downpour while walking. If walking into town, I could just put it into my shirt pocket by itself.

Attachments

• tmp_27290-20170124_061308_resized34370237.jpg
    tmp_27290-20170124_061308_resized34370237.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
I would take that camera on a camino if I had one. Loved my Olympus OM-2 film SLR and brought it everywhere but I just never have picked up a DSLR equivalent. Get or make a bag that can hang on the straps of your backpack but that hangs over your chest. If you are worried about losing an expensive camera then get a point and shoot with a reasonable zoom and menu settings. That is what I used on my camino. I would slip it into my pants pocket after a shot and then find myself pulling it out again within a minute. I've since gotten a smartphone and I love the quality of the photos it takes but they are all wide-angle. I used both on my last vacation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So to answer the two questions:
  1. yes. I took a small Olympus with a long optical zoom. I would not do any trip without a camera, even if only the camera on my phone.
  2. I carried the camera in a case that I could clip onto the pack harness so that it remained readily accessible when I was walking. When I stopped for the day, the camera went into the bag that went with me for the rest of the day - shower, shopping, etc.

Last edited:
I wanted to see if a) anyone has brought a camera on the camino and b) what worked for you in terms of a case, showering, going to dinner, etc.

I have an Olympus OMD EM1 mirrorless camera (500g with battery) that takes great photos, and a few lenses for it (two nice pancake lenses that are 87g and 55g, or a 300g zoom). I'm debating not bringing it, but pretty sure I'll regret that when I get home.

Lots of discussion about this topic. I brought the same Canon compact camera on both my caminos and would do so next time. I carried it in a front pocket for accessibility. I also generally limited photography time to the golden hours which meant the middle of the day I was mentally present with the Camino- both, good ways to experience it.

I have an Olympus OMD EM1
I'm certainly no expert but my experience may be relevant to you.
I bought an Olympus Pen camera to take on my first Camino; maybe that's what Dougfitz had too. (It's one of those lightweight, so-called 4/3 models). I took the standard lens, which had a moderate optical zoom, and bought a good wide-angle lens, which cost almost as much as the camera. I was very pleased with the results, but interestingly I found that I hardly used the standard zoom; almost all my photos were taken with the wide-angle. (When you think about, it the vast majority of pictures you take are landscapes, architectural wonders and groups, for which the wide-angle is ideal.)
Despite my satisfaction with this camera, on subsequent caminos, being concerned about weight, batteries, lenses, case and charger, I took the risk and left my camera at home, but took an iPhone 6s, which has a superb camera. (I was taking a phone anyway). My obsession with wide-angle photos has been catered for by making much use of the panorama function, horizontally and vertically. If you minimise the width of the shot by moving the phone through only 40 degrees or so, the results are terrific, with no discernible distortion.
No cards to worry about, and a huge memory on the phone.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I brought a Sony rx100 m3. The case was an old heavily modified Sony small camcorder case which remained strapped to the left strap of my backpack. If I saw a scene I wanted to shoot, I would just unzip, pull it out, shoot, put it away, and rezip. It held the camera, 2 extra batteries, and the smallest Sony USB battery charging unit I had ever seen. I took the camera, wallet, and fresh clothes into the shower with me in a dry bag. That drybag was primarily used as protection for my clothes against a downpour while walking. If walking into town, I could just put it into my shirt pocket by itself.
I went through the same internal debate this time last year. In the end, I left my Nikon gear at home and bought a Sony RX-100. No regrets at all. No case, I just kept it in my pocket or belt pouch. Used a Ziplock plastic bag when wet weather loomed. Enjoyed the challenge of taking good photos without the benefits of DSLR, accessory lens etc. The Sony took excellent quality shots, cropping compensated for zoom limitations. I got to know two other pilgrims who were carting their DSLR and gear. In both cases, their cameras tended to dominate their Camino, as well as their walking companions'. Constant stops to pull out the gear, try different lens etc etc. Both mentioned towards the end of most days they didn't take as many shots because of the hassle factor. Odd as it seems, as the simplicity of the Camino works its magic, reaching into your pocket to grab your camera and snap that beautiful scene will happen more often than stopping to set up and compose another masterpiece!

I took my Nikon D800 with one prime lens, the 35mm f/1.8G Nikon lens, and only one extra battery. I am glad I brought it. I figured out a way to tie my camera strap into my backpack shoulder straps, so my camera was always at the ready and it was completely comfortable carrying it. You can see my Camino photos using the link below. When I walk it again I will bring my camera. Choosing one prime lens helped me cut the weight of my camera gear dramatically. There is no way I would bring zoom lenses. I was able to make it six weeks on just the two batteries. I did not bring the charger to save weight. Given you have a Mirrorless camera, you will need more batteries.

After a really wet day, my D800 quit working for about 10 days, although it is weather sealed. During that time my backup camera was my iPhone. What I learned is that I would have been better off keeping the D800 out of the bag, because the condensation that formed in the bag is what caused the problem. A day and a half in a bag filled with rice brought it back. It's been fine ever since, save for one other time when I had to resort to the rice trick again. I'd make sure your camera is weather sealed.

Tomnorthenscold.com/camino

Be careful taking any kit you wouldn't want to lose, especially if this is your first camino. Weight of pack and ease of access to your camera are also important considerations. There's always the possibility of rain damage. If you have a nifty smartphone then the inbuilt camera should be more than sufficient. It all comes down to what you're looking for.
Buen camino.

If photography is important to you then by all means.

On Camino 1 I brought a small point and shoot. This was 2007. Ordinary photos, but memories. Now I stick to my smart phone. Ordinary pics, but memories. I find I remember my Caminos much better through the pictures taken.

Now, I would LOVE to have stunning pictures of some of the moments, places. So I now beg, borrow, steal and pay for wonderful shots taken by photo enthousiasts who so kindly post them.

I brought my DSLR as well as an extra lense. I took 1 photo with it. Yup, just ONE. It was the very first day, in the Pyrenees, and I really did not want to take my bag off, unzip it, hassle with trying to take it out of my top compartment, adjust the settings and all that jazz, but it was really too beautiful not to take it out. Other than that, it stayed in my bag the whole Camino. The rest of my photos I took with my phone. I plan on doing the CP sometime next year, and I'm hoping to figure out a way to have my DSLR hooked onto the shoulder straps of my backpack, for quick access. So, if you can figure out a way to make it accessible, then yeah, great idea! If you can't, it really just becomes a hassle and extra weight.

So I now beg, borrow, steal and pay for wonderful shots taken by photo enthousiasts who so kindly post them.
Years ago in the days of film I worked with a fellow who claimed to be a terrible photographer but said people loved his photos. When he was on vacation he would go up to someone with a few cameras draped around his neck holding out his camera and then ask "Would you mind taking a picture for me?"

Years ago in the days of film I worked with a fellow who claimed to be a terrible photographer but said people loved his photos. When he was on vacation he would go up to someone with a few cameras draped around his neck holding out his camera and then ask "Would you mind taking a picture for me?"
I want to Asia in my early 20s and carried full fat Pentax 5 smething or other and three lenses. I still cherish those photos, and remember the pain of the carrying bag's strap on my shoulder. But it was worth it to me.

IMG_1845.JPG
I brought my DSLR as well as an extra lense. I took 1 photo with it. Yup, just ONE. It was the very first day, in the Pyrenees, and I really did not want to take my bag off, unzip it, hassle with trying to take it out of my top compartment, adjust the settings and all that jazz, but it was really too beautiful not to take it out. Other than that, it stayed in my bag the whole Camino. The rest of my photos I took with my phone. I plan on doing the CP sometime next year, and I'm hoping to figure out a way to have my DSLR hooked onto the shoulder straps of my backpack, for quick access. So, if you can figure out a way to make it accessible, then yeah, great idea! If you can't, it really just becomes a hassle and extra weight.
I used a camera strap from ThinkTank Photo that had rings I could hook a carabiner through. The carabiners were attached to the pack straps. It worked perfectly.

As a pro photographer I had this dilemma when I walked my first camino in 2013 - I took my small Sony NEX-5 (it is a compact camera with a DSLR size sensor) with me in a case that would fit on my belt (I always covered the case with my hat when walking into larger cities). I didn't regret taking it and got some amazing photos. The camera never left my person and was even tucked in my sleeping bag at night and came with me into the shower! there is no way I would have carried my regular work DSLR and lenses with me!

I also took the same camera last time I walked (2015) but didn't take so many photos - it didn't seem so important - I was more aware of enjoying the experience - recording things in the video system of my brain :) Next time I walk (Sept 2017) I will just have my iPhone to take photos on if I feel the need to record something as I don't want to carry the extra weight - actually I am taking my sketchbook, watercolours and pencils instead - probably around the same weight! So really what i'm saying is that if photography and recording your journey is important to you, take your camera gear - but yes you'll need to keep a watchful eye on it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Frances in 2015 I brought an EPL7 and left the EM5 at home, included was the 14, 20, and 45mm lenses. Did every thing I needed. In the evenings when I stayed in a secure semi-private room with friends I would typically just have the EPL7 with 20, in my pants pocket.

Last year on the Portuguese I brought just my Sony RX1 and will likely do the same this year on the Norte. It is a fairly small package with fantastic image quality. FF sensor and that Zeiss lens easily allowed for cropping. The lens itself is wider than the 35mm that it is advertised as, it's more like a 32. so you can effectively shoot from 32 to 64 without much loss of image quality compared to m43,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought an Olympus Pen camera to take on my first Camino; maybe that's what Dougfitz had too. (It's one of those lightweight, so-called 4/3 models).
My digital camera gear is not that flash - either bridge cameras or point and shoot style with a long zoom. Oh, and one, now very old, Nikon D100.

I used a GoPro Silver 4, took over 5,000 photos plus videos. It weighs a few ounces, I brought along the shock proof case for it which still allows touch screen navigation of the camera plus it's water tight case each weighing about an ounce. I could carry it in my pocket. Downside ...no telephoto but it does panoramic, time lapse, an different levels of mp's. and has wireless capabilities to. Battery life is hours. I brougt two 64GB micro cards but only needed one and still had room for another 4,000 photos on that card.

Most pilgrims rely on their phone cameras. I decided to do the same in the name of weight. My phone has a 15 megapixel camera; however, the lens is not very good, so most of my 1000+ pics are not very good quality. It doesn't matter how many MP the camera has if the lens is not comparable quality. If I'd do it again, I'd take a small point & shoot camera with about an optical zoom. I've seen pics from the newest iPhones, and they're very good. My knock-off Android version was not. I have a Nikon AW-120 that is shock-proof and waterproof within reasonable ranges that takes surprisingly good pics and weighs 7.5 oz. I also have a smaller Canon that is not as easy to use and is not "rugged" that I'd consider. But unless you have a phone with a high quality camera, I'd suggest taking another camera if you want good photos; however, I'd not take a large DSLR or anything of that size and weight, although I did see a few pilgrims with such a camera.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take a compact camera. Multiple lenses are too much fuss and weight. Any compact is better than a cell phone based camera. Even if your Samsung or iPhone is 16 megapixels the down fall of all camera based phones is the lens. The quality of photos is all lens based, not number of megapixels.
Look at at your cell phone based camera lens and compare to even a cheap compact, no comparison.
I have a full size Canon and while some mornings with my love of low light photography would love to have it, too much weight.
I have my camera pouch attached to one of the front straps of my back pack. Super accessible in mere seconds.
You must be able to access your camera easily or you will not use it much.
I watched one fellow pilgrim repeatedly dropping his pack to get out his ipad. Not convenient.
To me the weight of a good compact is fully worth it and many are extremely light now.
My wife does use her Samsung smart phone camera occasionally as well and the pictures are of reasonable quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking about bring 800gm of photo equipment with a forum that debates cutting toothbrush handles in half to save weight :)

It's your first Camino and there's a lot to take in. Just make sure you do it through your eyes rather than a viewfinder.

In 2015 I took a cheap and cheerful compact Fuji AX500 14Mp camera that weighs 120gm and takes easily found AA batteries (so no recharging) - took some great shots but I seldom ever look at them.

Last year I used an Android phone and no, I don't look at those shots much either.

I would have taken my Canon DSLR but half a day playing tourist with that hanging around my neck makes it ache.

Remember you bring it along you get to carry it every day.

I opt to leave my D800 home and travel with a Sony RX100. I keep it in my front pocket and it is always available, never in the way, and always safe. Weight aside I would not want the hassle of keeping my DLSR with me 24/7 on the camino. I have been happy with the images including low light and another convenience for me is that the RX100 uses the same charger as my phone and headlamp so I carry one charger with a 10 foot (3 meter) USB cable. I can usually find an outlet close enough that I can charge my electronics at night with them inside my sleeping bag with me.

Good luck with your decision; it is a tough one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I last time took a Fuji " bridge type" camera therefore the one lens was good for macro up to 30 x zoom . Now I have got Nikon p610 which goes from macro to 60x zoom and is relatively light . I find a lot of the time it is around my nect to get all those shots which cannot wait .

Hi Duane,

I brought with me a Samsung Mirrorless Camera from Lisbon to Santiago on Camino Portugese. It took decent pictures and fit on the pocket of my jacket. Sometimes I feel the strain on my neck so I would transfer it to my backpack. Also, I took really good 4K videos with it so it was worth it. I am even considering a really light drone and a really light fujifilm mirrorless camera in our next Camino this December. /The Kolbist

I have a several suggestions for you. First, find a comfortable way to carry your camera outside the pack. Test out various methods before leaving. If you are using trekking poles, try your setup with those and a full pack. If you keep your camera in your pack, you'll likely not want to stop to dig it out to make a photo.

Second, pick one lightweight, fast fixed focal length lens and take only that. I took a 35mm f/1.8 Nikon lens for my D800. Many of the interior spaces are dark, so having a fast lens is critical. I never missed having a zoom. If you pack extra lenses, again you'll likely not want to stop to dig them out to swap lenses. Zoom with your feet.

Third, bring enough batteries to last the trip. It is super easy to lose or forget things on the Camino. A charger is one more thing to forget, plus it's not always easy to find outlets. Most are used up with people charging smartphones.

Fourth, figure out ways to eke as many shots out of your batteries as you can. Turning of the automatic review on the LCD is one good way. You can always go back and check exposure in image playback. I made it six weeks on just two batteries. Your camera is mirrorless, so you'll likely need more than I did. I made about 1200 frames on my Camino, or about 30 a day.

Finally, be really careful on wet rainy days. I had a plastic bag to protect my camera, but the mistake I made was putting the camera in the bag completely wet. It quit working for ten days. I finally brought it back to life in Santiago by putting it in a bag filled with a couple kilos of rice for a day. I'd have been better off just leaving it in the rain or never bringing it out of the bag in the first place. If I had been able to completely dry it before putting it back in the bag I suspect it would have been fine. Live and learn I guess.

Finally, be really careful on wet rainy days. I had a plastic bag to protect my camera, but the mistake I made was putting the camera in the bag completely wet. It quit working for ten days. I finally brought it back to life in Santiago by putting it in a bag filled with a couple kilos of rice for a day. I'd have been better off just leaving it in the rain or never bringing it out of the bag in the first place. If I had been able to completely dry it before putting it back in the bag I suspect it would have been fine. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks, that's all really good advice. My plan right now is to bring two pancake lenses, a 14mm (28mm equiv in 35mm land) and a 20mm f/1.7 (40mm in 35mm land). The 14mm is what I'd have on for landscapes (i.e. walking) and the 20mm is perfect for indoor/people shots. They each are only about 50grams, so really light.

Those are light lenses. I've got the Pany version of the 20mm f/1.7 for my GH3, so I know how small those micro four-thirds pancake lenses can be. If you can keep one in the pocket of your backpack waist belt you'd be more likely to use it. I settled on the 35mm f/1.8 lens as what I called the Goldilocks lens, not too wide and not too long...just right. I already owned the 28mm and 50mm Nikon f/1.8 lenses, but when I decided to go down to just one lens, I added the 35mm f/1.8 to my kit. Your camera is way lighter than my D800, so carrying two pancake lenses should be doable.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.