• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing backpack on plane as a carry-on

Ginabina

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
I prefer to carry my backpack with me on the plane (I'm flying Air Canada and Iberia airlines), but I'm afraid they might think it's too big. It's an Osprey Aura 50-liter. What have been others' experience with this particular backpack ... or one of its size? Do you think I'll most likely be forced to check it? Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pack it and measure it, comparing with the dimensions given on the airline web site (check both airlines). Then you will know for sure. You might have to leave the top pouch empty, and put some stuff in your second "personal" bag. With back packs, the final dimensions depend on how you pack it, so experiment with it.

Totally agree with 'C clearly'. Find out the max dimensions of what is allowed as carry on and then make sure you sort out your pack so it will fit. If you have problems tape it narrower and flatter until it does or strange as this may sound. Find a large cardboard box and cut it down until you can fold it to the correct size and then pack your pack and what you want it to hold into the box, then tape down strongly, add some rope to make a handle so its easy to carry.

I know this sound extreme but if you want to guarantee you can take it aboard you may have to do that. Be aware you WILL very probably NEED TO open it for inspection if it contains liquids and/or electronic gear so make sure you can do that. Note I have done this in the past myself.

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you allowed to take collapsible hiking poles attached to a 35 liter pack on board as a carry on, or are they seen as security threats, and how about a Swiss Army Knife ?

@jon gregg. Have you flown much lately? ;) A quick search of the forum on the topic of hiking-poles and air-craft cabins will lead you to much discussion - however, most airport security teams will not allow nasty sharp pointy things as carry-on. The same very much applies to Swiss-army knives. Packing your collapsed poles inside your pack may suffice at some airports but be prepared to check your poles. As for a knife, buy an Opinel when you get to Spain and donate it when you leave. Or check your pack.

Are you allowed to take collapsible hiking poles attached to a 35 liter pack on board as a carry on, or are they seen as security threats, and how about a Swiss Army Knife ?
Read the advice re restricted articles and bag size, or find the directions to the same, on the websites of the airlines you will be travelling with. Be aware regulations vary between airlines.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Poles: Maybe. Depends on several factors and you won't know for sure until you get to the airport. If the poles are attached to the outside, the combo will probably exceed the acceptable dimensions. The liter volume doesn't matter; the linear dimensions do.

Knife: No!!!!!

(You should probably review the list of forbidden items on your airline's website.)

I have had 3 Swiss army knives confiscated at airports because I forgot to put them in my luggage and instead tried to carry them in cabin luggage - what can I say other than I'm old and have a bad memory. :)

I'm pretty sure that collapsible poles would not be allowed but maybe ask before you put your luggage into the system to take your large pack into the plane at the airport?

Even if your pack is under the max size for a cabin bag, they can still tell you it has to be put in the hold if there is no room for it in the cabin, so ensure you are at the top of the queue!

Graham

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re poles and carry-ons: On the way we carried on our backpacks (36 Ospreys) and attached the poles to the outside with packing sticky stuff (don't know the name - it's like Saran wrap). We also tightened all straps and tied them down to make a compact bundle. We had stuffed as much as we could into our day packs, which weighed practically nothing and measured around 5 x 5 " when empty, and also carried those on. Less to worry about on the way back as far as delayed luggage, so we checked them (out of Lisbon). This time we put the poles into the backpack. They stuck out about 4" but were well strapped down. Of course much depends on the airport you fly out of.

Pack it and measure it, comparing with the dimensions given on the airline web site (check both airlines). Then you will know for sure. You might have to leave the top pouch empty, and put some stuff in your second "personal" bag. With back packs, the final dimensions depend on how you pack it, so experiment with it.
Good advice. As @Cclearly says, remove the contents of the top pouch and carry those items, along with a change of clothes and any prescription drugs you need, in a day pack that fits under the seat. Tighten down the hip belt and shoulder straps, use the compression straps, and roll up and secure all the loose hanging straps -- in short, make it as compact as possible. I had no problems carrying on my 38L Osprey Kestrel, but I did check a shipping tube with my hiking poles, pocket knife, and liquids. If those are lost, you can easily replace them in Spain.

I have flown from the US to Madrid or Paris for 4 Camino journeys with collapsible poles (Black Diamond that fold into 3 sections) and a 50 Liter Osprey backpack. The only problem occurred when I had to change planes in Washington and the plane to Madrid was full and they made me check my backpack even though I had it within the published size limits. It arrived in Madrid safely. Collapsed poles inside my backpack have never been a problem.

In today's airport security environment don't even think of having any kind of knife on your cabin bags. It will certainly be confiscated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I prefer to carry my backpack with me on the plane (I'm flying Air Canada and Iberia airlines), but I'm afraid they might think it's too big. It's an Osprey Aura 50-liter. What have been others' experience with this particular backpack ... or one of its size? Do you think I'll most likely be forced to check it? Thanks!
Hi, I always check in my backpack so you can put everything in it what you want.
Wish you well, Peter.

I have flown from the US to Madrid or Paris for 4 Camino journeys with collapsible poles (Black Diamond that fold into 3 sections) and a 50 Liter Osprey backpack. The only problem occurred when I had to change planes in Washington and the plane to Madrid was full and they made me check my backpack even though I had it within the published size limits. It arrived in Madrid safely. Collapsed poles inside my backpack have never been a problem.

In today's airport security environment don't even think of having any kind of knife on your cabin bags. It will certainly be confiscated.
JBur; I also have the same backpack and wondered if you covered it , or taped it in some fashion to make it smaller to travel with

Air Canada might require you to check as the Aura is 26 inches high (long) and AC only allows 21.5 inches in length. While you might get the pack through security, you might be asked to gate check...Most airports in Canada will not allow the knife or poles through. Lots of good tips on prepping a pack for checking. We used the osprey Airporter which we left in Madrid while walking as we flew in and out of Madrid this April. There are however many cheaper and innovative options for prepping a pack for checking avail on this forum....or consider a smaller pack. Next camino for us will be with a 40 litre pack max. Buen Camino from Ottawa!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My 45L passed three different airlines in 2013 for my Camino Frances (from Ottawa to Madrid), no problem. I did not have it fully packed (kept space for food and water along the way). Good idea to have a small drawstring pack as a second carry on to put sandal and jacket for example, that would take the extra space it the backpack. I am leaving in 5 days for LePuy Route with the same pack and just did the measurement test, just in case (new airlines, new era!), and it is just for height, so I will make sure have it closed tight at top and nothing in top compartment.
All this to say you 50L might be a bit big, but try and get it down to to correct height!!
Bon Chemin!!!
Dan

JBur; I also have the same backpack and wondered if you covered it , or taped it in some fashion to make it smaller to travel with
No, it was clearly visible. I had a very light bag I would have put it in if I had to check it just to protect the straps from getting caught in baggage conveyors.

I took my back pack as carry on when I went to CF. I wore my hikers. I wanted to start my Camino with all my belongings. If a bag was lost I could replace the other items but I wanted all my Camino items together. I had no checked luggage. I did carry another small bag as a "purse" ..with items packed. I travelled VERY light as I continued on to Malta for two weeks. All Camino items donated.....even that extra "purse "

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have had 3 Swiss army knives confiscated at airports because I forgot to put them in my luggage and instead tried to carry them in cabin luggage - what can I say other than I'm old and have a bad memory. :)

I'm pretty sure that collapsible poles would not be allowed but maybe ask before you put your luggage into the system to take your large pack into the plane at the airport?
We cut down a kitchen knife to fit under the max blade length allowed by the airline. No problem flying Aus to Europe. On the return it was confiscated. When I queried it, since it was permitted, the comment by the security person taking it was 'you wouldn't like it if it was used on you' . So the take home message is that the people at the security post have ultimate discretion and nothing is guaranteed. If I really don't want to lose the item I don't take it through security.

I had a 36 liter bag and carried it on board each time with Delta, RyanAir and Iberian...but, I bought my poles in St. Jean Pied de Port after I arrived and left them in the airport when I was heading back home when Iberian said, "if you want to keep your poles, check your bag." So, we thanked them, kissed them good bye and left them behind"...just an fyi: Iberia makes you stretch wrap your checked back (cost $10).

Hiya
Well you know what they say, travel light! :) It's a good excuse to limit what you take and enjoy the experience and not the weight. Last summer I had a 32 litre, in March a 40. Before I went I looked at what I had laid out on the bed and took a third away. I didn't need what I had taken out so proved I really didn't need it! Whatever you do have an awesome Camino! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do not want to risk missing a flight due to security problems or my bag being too large. My osprey packed with my Camino gear (minus knife and poles) was well under size limits (I'm small and travel light). I checked my knife, liquids, collapsible poles, and treats from home in my suitcase. In Barcelona mailed treats ahead on road, put knife/poles in pack, shipped nearly empty suitcase (few tourist outfits for after) to SdC. That way if bag was lost, all I needed to replace was knife and poles, and maybe not the poles.

Hi, I always check in my backpack so you can put everything in it what you want.
Wish you well, Peter.
hola Peter Fransiscus, I am planning to put my poles and forbidden cabin stuff in my back-pack and check it in.. now what about the securing the straps and belt and all that, would it be safer to pull the rain cover over everything? all this security makes me nervous..

hola Peter Fransiscus, I am planning to put my poles and forbidden cabin stuff in my back-pack and check it in.. now what about the securing the straps and belt and all that, would it be safer to pull the rain cover over everything? all this security makes me nervous..
I never put the raincover over the backpack. That is a choice you can make.
Wish you well, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just learned about SafeBag http://www.safe-bag.com/ . It is a baggage wrapping service ($) available at some airports. I will make use of it as it is available at both my take off (Montreal) and departure airports (Paris). My pack is too large to fit in the cabin and I will pack my poles with it all neatly wrapped and secured.

I fasten all the straps and tuck in any loose ends so nothing - hopefully - gets caught in the conveyor belt.
In London Gatwick they take a rucksack as 'special luggage' so no conveyor belt. You hand it in to someone at a separate desk.
Coming back from Santander airport though, it went with all the other luggage and I was so nervous! :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back