• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing CBD Oil to Europe in Luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie (Scout)

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/2019
I've been considering the idea of bringing CBD oil with me for my Camino. Several folks have recommended it as a remedy for various ailments. I know there are differing views on the use, but what are the 'rules' about bringing it with you to Europe? I plan on bringing a luggage to transfer. Thanks in advance!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've been considering the idea of bringing CBD oil with me for my Camino. Several folks have recommended it as a remedy for various ailments. I know there are differing views on the use, but what are the 'rules' about bringing it with you to Europe? I plan on bringing a luggage to transfer. Thanks in advance!
I don't know where you are coming from, but if it's from the US the answer is NO! you can't fly with it.

Although there has been a lot of discussion about medicinal use in Spain and the legality of it is under review, it seems it is still ilegal to import any CBD derived product into the country. Punishment is jail time.

If it is not a medicine you regularly use, I would not risk trying to take it with you. In the camino, take only the strictly necessary - even for medicines. Pharmacias are excellent in Spain and if you need anything, the pharmacists will be experienced in helping pilgrims and recommending adequate treatment.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Google Gura maintains "Cannabis oil (CBD) is legal in Europe, as it is classed as a food-based product". Fine, h-o-w-e-v-e-r, as you pass through airports, train stations, bus stations etc you may be encountered by "sniffer" dogs looking for travelers attempting to pass drugs. Sniffer dogs do not differentiate between cannabis as a food-based product and a pouch of weed or a block of hash. Do you really need such a hassle?

The Google Gura maintains "Cannabis oil (CBD) is legal in Europe, as it is classed as a food-based product".

That seems a overly simplistic and misleading summary of the current position. "Europe" is not a single homogeneous entity - individual countries each have their own policies with regards to cannabis and its derivatives. A recent statement from an official EU agency concerned with drugs policy points out that the legal situation and classification of different products varies considerably between EU member countries. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/news/20...ucts-being-sold-in-the-EU–key-legal-issues_en

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Google Gura maintains "Cannabis oil (CBD) is legal in Europe, as it is classed as a food-based product".
When I googled this line, the only source that came up was an October 2017 article in the "Costa Blanca News" 😀.

An overview published in 2018 by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/), which is an official EU agency, starts by saying that there is little harmonisation among EU Member States in the laws penalising unauthorised cannabis use or supply. Some countries legally treat cannabis like other drugs; in others, penalties vary according to the drug or offence involved. Which I think is a more accurate assessment of the situation.

Edited to add: The title of the EMCDDA report is "Cannabis legislation in Europe".

That seems a overly simplistic and misleading summary of the current position. "Europe" is not a single homogeneous entity - individual countries each have their own policies with regards to cannabis and its derivatives. A recent statement from an official EU agency concerned with drugs policy points out that the legal situation and classification of different products varies considerably between EU member countries. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/news/20...ucts-being-sold-in-the-EU–key-legal-issues_en
My only contention is not legal/illegal but rather there is absolutely no need to create unnecessary and easily resolved headaches. Leave the stuff at home!

When I googled this line, the only source that came up was an October 2017 article in the "Costa Blanca News" 😀.

An overview published in 2018 by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/), which is an official EU agency, starts by saying that there is little harmonisation among EU Member States in the laws penalising unauthorised cannabis use or supply. Some countries legally treat cannabis like other drugs; in others, penalties vary according to the drug or offence involved. Which I think is a more accurate assessment of the situation.

Edited to add: The title of the EMCDDA report is "Cannabis legislation in Europe".
See my reply to Bradypyus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If it's legal in Spain you'll be able to find it in pharmacies and herbalist shops, so no need to bring it.

But if you are referring to hemp oil then it's a food product like linseed oil, sesame seed oil, almond oil and the like and you'll be able to find it in big supermarkets.

If it's legal in Spain you'll be able to find it in pharmacies and herbalist shops, so no need to bring it.

But if you are referring to hemp oil then it's a food product like linseed oil, sesame seed oil, almond oil and the like and you'll be able to find it in big supermarkets.
As a side note - should you ever be in a situation where your Spanglish cannot see you through, know that pharmacists are usually the best English speakers around. They will help you out and they will also know all about CBD

Relative to individual countries using their own, non EU-wide rules, I had something analogous happen to me a couple of years ago. For many years, post 9-11 I have traveled through airports all over the world carrying a Gerber Dime 'Travel' pocket multi-tool. I bought this tool because it has NO cutting blade...period. It is certified TSA-compliant and I never had a problem, including going and out of the EU.

On this one trip, I landed at Madrid, went through passport control then proceeded to my connecting flight up to Santiago de Compostela. Those of you who have done this know you must pass through Spanish aviation security before you get to the tram to head for the satellite terminal at T-4.

I emptied my pockets and the inspector told me they were confiscating the pocket tool. I asked why, He said "..porque..." So, I politely asked for the supervisor. She spoke very good English. I explained the history of this multitool, including all my past travels. I added that this particular tool is also compliant with the EU security regulations. I had specifically read the rules before packing.

When I politely informed them that the multitool was EU complaint, the supervisor smiled and said sweetly, "...but senor, this is Spain...this is considered a tool." I asked how this was the same as a full-sized tool (which might be used as a weapon)? Anyway, away went my multitool. I now check everything that could remotely be considered a weapon OR a tool.

So, do not rely on what you read aforehand. Always take the conservative option. Discretion works...only sometimes... Do not allow Murphy's Law to grab you.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Consult your foreign office for specific regulations for every port you pass. You get a green light there bring your doctors prescription in translation and be careful with the amounts.
If a simple pepper spray gets nixt, what do you thing drug related items will do?

I dont know about Spain but it is a definite no-no in England so I would imagine it would be the same throughout Europe. There was a highly publicised case in England last year so even for medicinal purposes it vaused a storm of press time for weeks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Google Gura maintains "Cannabis oil (CBD) is legal in Europe, as it is classed as a food-based product". Fine, h-o-w-e-v-e-r, as you pass through airports, train stations, bus stations etc you may be encountered by "sniffer" dogs looking for travelers attempting to pass drugs. Sniffer dogs do not differentiate between cannabis as a food-based product and a pouch of weed or a block of hash. Do you really need such a hassle?
Agree, but btw, dont believe everything you find via google :)

You can purchase it Barcelona, last year while walking out of Leon I noticed a sign just out of the city advertising products and such, then asked my Spanish Camino friend about it as we walked. He told me you can find stores like this in Barcelona; however, prices can be inflated.

After reading your post and simple google search, I confirmed what he said. Forget the hassle of transporting it and purchase it in Spain if it’s necessary for your needs. I’m sure it’s possible for you to find it in the larger metropolitan cities.

Not sure about Spain but it's legal in Germany and Ireland. Google and see! I would maybe buy it in Spain if it is legal to do so though, depending on where you're travelling from. Definitely illegal in England.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
See images

Attachments

• 02C305F7-79BE-4380-ACF6-C82EFE6E6D9A.jpeg
    02C305F7-79BE-4380-ACF6-C82EFE6E6D9A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,288
  • 78A54369-6AA4-4A1E-8121-A67894475AAB.jpeg
    78A54369-6AA4-4A1E-8121-A67894475AAB.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited by a moderator:
If it is legal in Spain/France I will definitely bring some from Germany!

Just did a quick google and it is legal in France too. I will definitely bring some then, it's a lifesaver for sleep issues and muscular pain. Gonna bring heaps of magnesium too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just did a quick google and it is legal in France too. I will definitely bring some then, it's a lifesaver for sleep issues and muscular pain. Gonna bring heaps of magnesium too.

Look into ZMA ... helps with musculoskeletal recovery and sleep... basically Zinc, Magnesium,B6... but be sure to monitor...how do I say this with some tact... your daily “movements” for changes.

A cannabis based oil? Really? Why even complicate you travel overseas in the first place? Complicate it to the point of possible arrest or seizure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And there are two different things: using it in the country and transporting it into the country. Importation laws for medicine are completely different from usage law in a country.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
See my reply to Bradypyus.
Thank you. Yes, we posted nearly identical replies at nearly the same time.

At this moment in time - March 2019 - I have a sort of allergic knee jerk reaction to any kind of generalisation that starts with "In the EU ..." and where I know it is based on a lack of information or indeed an unwillingness to find information that is widely available and because it is based on the erroneous assumption that every law in one's own country has been dictated by Brussels and applies EU wide (and that includes aviation security!). Just such a fundamental lack of understanding how things work here. They usually can't even tell a regulation from a directive or the ECJ from Strasbourg 🤣.

But you are excused, @scruffy1 🙂. My reaction is mainly directed at British MPs, a section of the global news media and their gullible regular clientele. Interesting to learn that one can apparently buy low-THC or CBD products in stores in Leon and Barcelona. I suppose that would be pharmacies or health food shops? But it's not for me: I don't even use Voltaren gel or Arnica ointment. 😎

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This oil was my new learning for yesterday. As I had never heard of it, I asked in my pottery class last night, and one of the class pulled a little bottle with a dropper from his pocket. He said it is used as a painkiller. I think I will stick to my tried and true, although I am glad to have learned something new.
(this is in Ireland )

I don't know where you are coming from, but if it's from the US the answer is NO! you can't fly with it.

I brought mine from the US to Panama. For me it didn’t do anything and I wasted money. You can get it all over Spain. I just bought the cream. Another waste of time.

Another link to cbd oil: available in a tea, called Go To Feck (quote). That word is not the curse word. It seems to be fairly well known except to dinosaurs like me! I learned that in the learning Centre I volunteer in once a week.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe this has already been answered, but is it hemp based or cannabis based? There is a HUGE difference!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hemp based
If that's the case you should be FINE! Though, I would rec buying it there.
Perhaps you can find this store... I'm not sure where it is located. Or, contact them and say you'll be at a certain hotel and have it shipped there...
Another option is https://organicespana.com/. They're in Malaga and their products look very good! https://organicespana.com/product-category/cbd-oil/
CBD oil is very misunderstood. The moment you mention hemp or cannabis people start making all sorts of assumptions.
Let me know what you discover! I use CBD daily!
<3

If that's the case you should be FINE! Though, I would rec buying it there.
Perhaps you can find this store... I'm not sure where it is located. Or, contact them and say you'll be at a certain hotel and have it shipped there...
Another option is https://organicespana.com/. They're in Malaga and their products look very good! https://organicespana.com/product-category/cbd-oil/
CBD oil is very misunderstood. The moment you mention hemp or cannabis people start making all sorts of assumptions.
Let me know what you discover! I use CBD daily!
<3
I still wouldn't risk traveling by air with it.
According to this article, the TSA doesn't differentiate between cannabis and hemp products.
From the linked article:

The following is quoted from the TSA’s website:

Possession of marijuana and cannabis infused products, such as Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, is illegal under federal law.
Essentially, the rule includes all medical marijuana, and hemp-based supplements alike including CBD. The TSA makes no distinction between hemp and marijuana. The TSA is also exempt from state laws, as they operate under federal law. Which means that even if your products are totally legal where you live, you still cannot bring them onto the airplane.

I still wouldn't risk traveling by air with it.
According to this article, the TSA doesn't differentiate between cannabis and hemp products.
From the linked article:

The following is quoted from the TSA’s website:

Essentially, the rule includes all medical marijuana, and hemp-based supplements alike including CBD. The TSA makes no distinction between hemp and marijuana. The TSA is also exempt from state laws, as they operate under federal law. Which means that even if your products are totally legal where you live, you still cannot bring them onto the airplane.

I agree 100%! I guess I was talking more about buying it there and the legalities of it. But trecile is spot on!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven’t read all responses but it appears you haven’t yet tried CBD oil to see if it helps you or not. Or whether it impairs your function.
It is legal in Canada where I live but has not been proven as a treatment for acute non-neuropathic type pain.
I think I’d pass on this treatment and use
I) ear plugs +\- vino tinto for sleep
II) ice and voltaren gel for my soft tissues

JIT

Seriously? You would actually consider travel abroad with a cannabis product?

I was surprised last year, talking to an elderly couple (from conservative Oklahoma) in France---They had brought some CBD with them, had no problems. I wondered if they would bring it back as easily.

If it is available in France and Spain, post info on where to buy it. Seems smarter than travelling with it.

I was surprised last year, talking to an elderly couple (from conservative Oklahoma) in France---They had brought some CBD with them, had no problems. I wondered if they would bring it back as easily.

If it is available in France and Spain, post info on where to buy it. Seems smarter than travelling with it.
I was shocked to find out that an older friend of mine and her husband traveled to Ireland with CBD gummies that contain THC. Since we live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal they didn't think that it was a big deal. I'm sure that many people get away with it, but I don't want to put that to the test myself.

I appreciate you asking the question. I hadn't really thought of bringing CBD oil, but now I have and the answers you have gotten to your question reminded me I need to be a little more careful in assigning products to my "nobody cares" category. Guess I'll leave my CBD oil at home on domestic flights also - seriously, I'd never given it a thought!

I think alot of it depends on what is in your CBD oil. I live in the American South, medical cannabis is not legal but CBD is. The one I just purchased from a local store has 0.03 content of THC. The cannabinoid is different from the part that gets you high. I'm flying into Madrid and training to Pamplona. They have cannabis clubs readily available for all Spanish citizens in Madrid and Barcelona. Honestly, I prefer cannabis off the stem vs an oil but I also have a spinal condition that causes one leg to be shorter and one hip higher. Trust me it's not fun. I've looked through the threads because on good days I can get by with aspirin, ibuprofen, and tylenol. Not on bad ones. What are the options for treating pain and medical conditions on the Camino with controlled substancses, narcotic pain relievers. I am willing to have this comment split into a different thread if need arises. I'm just concerned. I've heard the pharmacists have more dispensing power than the US but does that mean that they can prescribe opiates? I definitely have an issue with alcohol so please don't respond wine or beer. xoxo Lizzy

I haven’t read all responses but it appears you haven’t yet tried CBD oil to see if it helps you or not. Or whether it impairs your function.
It is legal in Canada where I live but has not been proven as a treatment for acute non-neuropathic type pain.
I think I’d pass on this treatment and use
I) ear plugs +\- vino tinto for sleep
II) ice and voltaren gel for my soft tissues

JIT
You are mistaken. I have tried it, and it helps with sleep. I have recently tried it with foot pain and it helps with that. It is not cannibis, it is made from hemp oil. I don't need advice on sleep issues. I've dealt with insomnia with 12 years. Until you've been there, don't be glib handing out judgment. Thank you anyway.

Exactly. Why would anyone do this, with a product they haven't used before, based on recommendations from "folks", knowing that there might be legal complications?
Take a chill pill. I have tried it. I was referring to bringing it on the Camino as a regular remedy. But, it seems I'll need to buy it there as it seems to be available. Nuf said.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To be fair to those who should take a "chill pill", in your initial post you didn't say anything about having prior experience with it. You just said that "several folks have recommended it as a remedy for various ailments."

Last edited:
My son put me onto CBD oil which is sold here in the health food shops and appears to be perfectly legal to purchase there. This is the UK where drugs are strictly regimented and we often need a doctor's prescription for silly little things which are sold over the counter in other countries.

Hi I saw last week on the Camino in Spain CBD products sold in soaps and creams. I do not know the concentration and so on but you may find in Spain what you need, without taking anything through border patrol. And on the way back. Same for all your prescriptions needs to come with your docs prescription best in Spanish translation and only in the amount you need for your trip. So no pill party😜. Chill pill will be provided by the Camino in increasing doses, but hard to wean off after the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I am a criminal defense attorney in the United States. I pay for my Camino’s (including lie flat Business Class seats) by representing people who make poor decisions based upon internet searches and/or advice from non-lawyers found in internet forums. If you’ve ever wanted to know what the floor of a US airport smelled liked, and wondered if being handcuffed is fun, then by all means put things like this in your luggage.

I think that up to a certain amount is legal. Even the use of marijuana is not illegal in Spain, but its traffic is.

My advice is that in case you decide to bring it, declare it to the police at customs. If finally it is not legal, which I doubt, the police will confiscate it, which is much better than having a problem in the customs.

Anyway, my recommendation, except in case you really need it, would be no to risk. From a different point of view ... you will save some weight in your backpack!! 😂

I am a criminal defense attorney in the United States. I pay for my Camino’s (including lie flat Business Class seats) by representing people who make poor decisions based upon internet searches and/or advice from non-lawyers found in internet forums. If you’ve ever wanted to know what the floor of a US airport smelled liked, and wondered if being handcuffed is fun, then by all means put things like this in your luggage.
I doubt Spanish border guards are more relaxed about illegal drugs.
And if someone is banned from visa free entering an Schengen country he/she need to apply for any other Schengen country for an visa. Even Norway and Switzerland are part of the Schengen treaty.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone.
Thought I'd add my experience with CBD on the Camino.
I'm currently 500kms into the Frances from Saint Jean. We've used cbd and it is amazing for inflammation and to help sleep. Much safer than using ibuprofen too!
We brought it in with us from France no problem as it's legal in Spain.
We unfortunately ran out last week and we can't find any here, no pharmacist or health shop knows anything about it. It seems like in Barcelona and in Southern Spain it's more common...
I would definitely bring it with you but take information about it and its legality in case any officials ask you about it at the boarder.
Hope this helps!
Buen Camino!!! :)

It's illegal to carry on a US plane.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Definitely illegal in England.

In the UK, it’s available from Holland & Barratt, which, for those unfamiliar with the UK, is a high-street chain store selling all sorts of supplements, vitamins etc.
(not that I’ve ever set foot inside their stores!)

From Release ... who’ve been dealing with these issues for more than 50 years):

And:

As the OP said ... it’s HEMP oil, not Cannabis oil, with less than 5% Cannabidiol, (not cannabis oil).

As for carrying it on a ‘plane ... why risk it???

Except for those of us who can't take it. 😕

Then, try 650 mg Arthritis strength Tylenol. Does the same thing.

Because of a chronic condition, I too, am not permitted anything but acetaminophen. In Europe, it is called Paracetamol.

When on Camino, the trick I found it to take the dosage BEFORE I start walking in the morning. I KNOW my knees and ankles will start to ache after an hour or so. Curiously, that is about the time needed for the medicine to hit my system. It seems to work well, for me at least.

The 6 -8 hours efficacy works for my walking day. If I need more to sleep, I take it. however, if I can stay to the one, morning dose, that permits me to enjoy vino tinto later in the day.

As regards CBD oil and other hemp or marijuana derivative products, BUY IT AFTER YOU ARRIVE on the ground. Nations have the right to establish their own laws. As a guest / visitor in that country, you are bound to obey the local laws, not argue with them or try to circumvent them. By definition, that makes you a criminal under local laws. Please do not go there.

In SOME countries, individual states have the authority to set laws for use WITHIN THEIR STATE. One state cannot regulate or enact laws affecting other states. However, just because something is legal in one US state, DOES NOT mean it will be legal anywhere else.

In the US, that is what federalism means. Specifically, rights and authorities not specifically enumerated in our Constitution as being inherently federal, are reserved to the various states. Certainly, a law permitting use of any product cannot be assumed to be effective outside that jurisdiction.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just did a quick google and it is legal in France too.

Not quite -- certain particular variants of these products have been temporarily allowed on a trial basis, provided that you have a valid doctor's prescription, which a non-French one may not constitute.

Nothing in which supposes that it is at all legal for a private individual to bring any of this stuff into the country.

Caba tea is legal everywhere and helps sleeping maybe an alternative for you? Or passiflora?
you can buy your needs in Spain at the pharmacy or chemists if you will. Then there is no problem as long you do not bring I back.

€46,-
Exactly...
Step right up folks...miracle snake oil for sale. Cures everything.
I wonder how it does as a bedbug repellent? 😆

Why be rude?

If you don't believe in CBD oil, why not just pass the post by?
Many of us with cancer, and other problems, use it successfully for pain and healing.

I'm so weary of mean spirited people . . .

You've probably already done your Camino.
But a quick google search on "woman arrested CBD oil airport" will give you several articles where grandmothers were arrested for taking CBD oil on a plane, or even to Disneyland. It is legal in Oregon and California, but I won't take it on the plane between the two.

I rode the train and carried with me CBD without THC. I, too, seem to have transported it by plane in my luggage. I have anxiety disorder and need CBD oil all the time

Any new information on the use of CBD oil with thc gummies (for sleeping) in Spain?
Have the legalities changed?
I have a pilgrim asking

Has this been rescinded?
It’s dated May 2019.

That only applies to CBD products that don't contain THC. @Anniesantiago specifically asked about Gummies with THC.

Hemp derivatives contain little to no tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive chemical in marijuana that produces a high. The TSA's new rules still ban other forms of marijuana, including certain cannabis-infused products and CBD oils that have THC, which are still illegal under federal law.

It’s simple: don’t. Do you really want to trust the wisdom/opinion of strangers on an issue that could land you in jail? If it’s legal in Spain, just buy it there.

That only applies to CBD products that don't contain THC. @Anniesantiago specifically asked about Gummies with THC.

Hemp derivatives contain little to no tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive chemical in marijuana that produces a high. The TSA's new rules still ban other forms of marijuana, including certain cannabis-infused products and CBD oils that have THC, which are still illegal under federal law.
Did I?
Do the ones that help you sleep contain THC?
Can you buy those in Spain on the Camino?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
FWIW: In 2019, there was some change in EU law. The products that you are talking about ("supplements") are classified as "Novel food" since 2019. This caused some changes in commercialisation but the rules are not uniform throughout the EU because details of regulation are left to the individual countries. This blog (in Spanish) is presumably a good description of the various situations in 2021 and since 2019. For Spain it says:

Until January 2019, a wide range of CBD products were available for purchase in Spain. The EU Novel Food Regulation produced a series of drastic changes of the legal situation of CBD in Spain. From one day to the next, companies have had to withdraw all edible CBD products, such as CBD oils, capsules, tinctures and other supplements, from Spanish shops.However, these companies can still market their products for "external use", [...]
IOW, the situation in the UK, in the USA or in any other EU country is irrelevant for the situation Spain. And the situation in Spain before 2019 is irrelevant for the situation in 2022.

This is about the kind of product that is being asked about in this thread and that can be bought in shops in Spain, not about products that are classified as products for medicinal purposes or that are used as psychotropic drugs.

FWIW.

can still market their products for "external use", [...]
Just had a look on Amazon.es for aceite de CBD (CBD oil) and looked at a few products. All have a product description that says Uso tópico - Topical use. Do not ingest.

So that's the deal in Spain in 2022: You can buy it in shops or online. The label says: "Don't eat me". You can of course eat anything that you buy, even a sombrero or your credencial - provided your teeth can cope ☺️. But you ingest it at your own risk. The product is not marketed in Spain as a product that is safe for internal use.

Last edited:
I dont know about Spain but it is a definite no-no in England so I would imagine it would be the same throughout Europe. There was a highly publicised case in England last year so even for medicinal purposes it vaused a storm of press time for weeks.
This isn't quite right - you can buy CBD (ie contains cannibidoil) Muscle Balm at Holland and Barrett - I use it, it's better than DeepHeat and even 12-hour Voltarol

Never a good idea to travel internationally with substances of questionable legality, especially one with questionable utility.

Agree, but ... CBD oil is neither of questionable legality nor of questionable utility.

Utility
Over the years I have used several lotions to ease sore muscles and joints.
When I lived in the Far East, I used Tiger Balm.
When I first stepped out on the Camino, I used Deep Heat until I overhead some fellow Spanish guests in an albergue joshing about the smell, and they introduced me to Voltarol.
Over time I have progressed from low-strength to 12-hours Voltarol,
And this year I have discovered Holland and Barrett's CBD Muscle Balm.
Now, you could say that there is a placebo effect of rubbing anything into sore limbs, but as one of the older members here and who suffers from IPN, Dupuytren's syndrome and arthritis, I say massaging with CBD beats all the other potions that I've tried.
And look at the reviews for "hemp active gel" on Amazon!

Legality
Well, it's legal in Europe and you can buy but CBD balm (and spray) over the counter in UK and Spain, and you can order both from Amazon.
Only if you were to fly from the USA, might CBD cause some difficulty (see #2) because CBD balm contains 4000 mg in 10 ml of canibidoil, and the spray can be bought in strengths up to 4%.

PS After cancer treatment and major surgery last year, I had great difficutly in sleeping. My doctor recommended a drug which was habit-forming, but instead I found CBD spray which within a few days helped to restore my sleep pattern. I am thinking of taking CBD spray on my next Camino for use when the dormitory fills with roncadores.

The questionability of both utility and legality is certainly questionable. But it is not a topic that we can resolve on the forum, and its connection to the Camino is remote, so I will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.