• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bringing food into Spain

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
How rigorous are customs at Madrid airport? Will it be like Paris where they hardly even look at your passport, let alone check what's in your bag? Or will it be like NZ where you have to declare everything and possibly still not get it through? I am bringing a few dehydrated meals with me (homemade and not in vacuum sealed packs - just ziplock bags) Am I likely to lose them if they are not sealed????? (if so, I'll make more of an effort to find a vacuum sealing device, if not I won't bother)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How rigorous are customs at Madrid airport? Will it be like Paris where they hardly even look at your passport, let alone check what's in your bag? Or will it be like NZ where you have to declare everything and possibly still not get it through? I am bringing a few dehydrated meals with me (homemade and not in vacuum sealed packs - just ziplock bags) Am I likely to lose them if they are not sealed????? (if so, I'll make more of an effort to find a vacuum sealing device, if not I won't bother)

I've taken dehydrated food in without a problem.
Fresh fruit and veggies or anything liquid or gel might get you stopped, but I think dehydrated stuff should pass through?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never been aware of customs going into Spain; just a passport check and luggage pickup. They may be there, but I have never met one face to face.

I suspect that our German exchange student some years ago summed up entrance into most of Europe fairly accurately. His response to a query of would he be allowed to take it through was "why not? We have everything anyway!". I guess that is why we notice the difference in Aust & NZ. Returning to Aust I even declare my shell (which has been in and out of the country 4 times!), lest I be fined for not declaring shell fish products! Janet

Of all people I would least expect a German to say "why not?" (I have a number of German friends) They seem to have rules for everything - my husband even got reprimanded for moving a chair in an office once. The guy he was with explained apologetically to the official, "they move chairs where he comes from". None of our German friends are amused by that, even those who have been in NZ 15 years. Actually they reckon there are good reasons for their procedures, but if you want to see beauracracy, go to Spain! Hence my original question - which has been well answered thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I doubt not seeing customs means much. I'll bet the international flight baggage gets a dog sniffing and maybe xrays.

Now I doubt the drug dog cares about trail mix .

I observed a fascinating scene a few years back in Vancouver--the cutest little sniffer beagle with handler at the baggage claim, who pointed clearly to a small child in its stroller. The handler gently asked the parents a few questions, and asked if they had any food in the carriage. They pulled out arrowroot cookies (common for teething kiddos) and the handler said that drug dogs regularly identify some component of arrowroot itself with a drug (despite my avid eavesdropping I missed hearing which drug it was!)

We won't be checking our packs through, so I'm feeling more confidant. So long as the beagles wandering randomly don't have a thing for curried chicken or lamb Provençal!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No worries about the sniffers and inspectors in Spain. I brought my dog in from USA via Madrid Barajas, after an exhausting paper-chase. No one ever glanced at the papers, or the dog, or anybody.

No worries about the sniffers and inspectors in Spain. I brought my dog in from USA via Madrid Barajas, after an exhausting paper-chase. No one ever glanced at the papers, or the dog, or anybody.
So you ARE the DogLady, after all!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back