• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing hiking poles on planes?

casterapple

Time of past OR future Camino
|
Hello!

I've got a pair of non-collapsible hiking poles, and I figure the only way to get them past TSA is to check them. (They're definitely too tall to fit in my carry-on.) But I have a couple of questions:

1) Since they're an odd size, will I likely have to pay more to check them? (I'm doing Iberia Airlines the whole way, but the first leg is operated by American Airlines, if anyone has experience with those particular airlines.)

2) I've got a packing tube that I can use to package them on the way there--but I'm definitely not going to carry this the whole way! Will I be able to buy a packing tube in Santiago de Compostela? Do I even need a packing tube, or can I just wrap a bit of tape around them and check them?

Thanks so much!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A little different question than the often posted discussion of carrying normal collapsible poles on board in your pack. ( You can)

This is a very good question and involves a different type of walking stick.

Please do not hijack the thread with more posts about poles that will fit in pack. This is different discussion.

Hi, casterapple,

For years I checked my poles in cardboard tubes, and I always travel on American/Iberian. They will take them as checked luggage, no extra charge (but you may only get one checked piece for free, so that would be your one free checked piece, you'll have to carry on your pack to avoid charges). If you are arriving in Madrid, you may find that the tube doesn't come out on the regular carousel, there is a special place for "odd sized" luggage.

In Santiago I have bought tubes for my poles, typically in art supply stores, you will find them there when you arrive. But I wouldn't worry about that now. In a pinch, wrapping tape around them will work. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, casterapple,

For years I checked my poles in cardboard tubes, and I always travel on American/Iberian. They will take them as checked luggage, no extra charge (but you may only get one checked piece for free, so that would be your one free checked piece, you'll have to carry on your pack to avoid charges). If you are arriving in Madrid, you may find that the tube doesn't come out on the regular carousel, there is a special place for "odd sized" luggage.

In Santiago I have bought tubes for my poles, typically in art supply stores, you will find them there when you arrive. But I wouldn't worry about that now. In a pinch, wrapping tape around them will work. Buen camino, Laurie

Wonderful, Laurie, thank you so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That would be about 49 inches.

I don't have experience with this but it seems that you could get a very cheap bag at some where like IKEA or Amazon to check them in...and just throw it away after you arrive.

Or...you could tape together a couple of tubes to the right length.
The Post Office and places like Mail Boxes etc have them.

That would be about 49 inches.

I don't have experience with this but it seems that you could get a very cheap bag at some where like IKEA or Amazon to check them in...and just throw it away after you arrive.

Or...you could tape together a couple of tubes to the right length.
The Post Office and places like Mail Boxes etc have them.

Like I mentioned in the original post, I do have a packing tube for the way there. Hadn't thought of taping tubes together, though--that could be helpful on the way back if I can't find a properly sized tube.

Hello!

I've got a pair of non-collapsible hiking poles, and I figure the only way to get them past TSA is to check them. (They're definitely too tall to fit in my carry-on.) But I have a couple of questions:

1) Since they're an odd size, will I likely have to pay more to check them? (I'm doing Iberia Airlines the whole way, but the first leg is operated by American Airlines, if anyone has experience with those particular airlines.)

2) I've got a packing tube that I can use to package them on the way there--but I'm definitely not going to carry this the whole way! Will I be able to buy a packing tube in Santiago de Compostela? Do I even need a packing tube, or can I just wrap a bit of tape around them and check them?

Thanks so much!
Make sure you have the largest rubber tips available, securely fastened to the bottom of the poles and perhaps go on the plane with a limp using them like a cane. Collapsible poles are so convenient when you just want to walk.......... Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unless your trekking poles are something special, Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy new collapsible poles.

Unless your trekking poles are something special, Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy new collapsible poles.

Cheaper than what? Than buying a new packing tube on the way back? I can't imagine it would be cheaper to buy new poles, unless I'm missing something here.

I'm also hoping to use these poles because they belonged to my brother, who passed away earlier this month.

Cheaper than what? Than buying a new packing tube on the way back? I can't imagine it would be cheaper to buy new poles, unless I'm missing something here.

I'm also hoping to use these poles because they belonged to my brother, who passed away earlier this month.
As i said, if they have a special meaning for you by all means do transport them. I picked up a set for $60 last year. They are easy to fold and carry in your pack when not needed. I would guess transporting them as a second luggage on a plane could be costly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As i said, if they have a special meaning for you by all means do transport them. I picked up a set for $60 last year. They are easy to fold and carry in your pack when not needed. I would guess transporting them as a second luggage on a plane could be costly.

What set is that?

Costco has collapsible,carbon fiber, cork grip, trekking poles for $30. Cascade mountain tech is brand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A little different question than the often posted discussion of carrying normal collapsible poles on board in your pack. ( You can)

Please do not hijack the thread with more posts about poles that will fit in pack. This is different discussion.

Grayland are you saying that if I put my collapsed Pacer-poles, with their rubber stoppers on, in my backpack as carry on luggage (travelling Qantas and Qatar through Perth & Doha to Madrid) that is ok?

I'm leaving in two weeks and still trying to work out best way to ensure they are not confiscated. Happy for you to private message reply so as not to hijack this thread. Thank you.

Grayland are you saying that if I put my collapsed Pacer-poles, with their rubber stoppers on, in my backpack as carry on luggage (travelling Qantas and Qatar through Perth & Doha to Madrid) that is ok?

I'm leaving in two weeks and still trying to work out best way to ensure they are not confiscated. Happy for you to private message reply so as not to hijack this thread. Thank you.

No...I am referring to the U.S, only..
I have no knowledge of the security in Oz..maybe someone with experience can post the information.

Normally, the airlines do not inspect carry on and have no part in the actual fact of whether or not you can carry the poles on inside the pack.. The airport security services do.

Hi, casterapple,

We wrapped our in bubble wrap with duct tape and they were fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi...having the same problem i was lucky enough to find a duffel bag that collapses into a small square when not in use. I put my walking sticks, a swiss army knife and a small container of my husband's ashes to check. The bag will come in handy at the end of the trek for a little retail therapy!!! Hope this helps.

Hi...having the same problem i was lucky enough to find a duffel bag that collapses into a small square when not in use. I put my walking sticks, a swiss army knife and a small container of my husband's ashes to check. The bag will come in handy at the end of the trek for a little retail therapy!!! Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice. I'm curious as to why you checked the ashes, rather than carrying them with you--I'm also taking ashes. Are they not allowed in carry-on?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Can I ask which airline you flew on that allows poles in carry-on bags please?

Can I ask which airline you flew on that allows poles in carry-on bags please?

Hi, Jeff, Grayland's experience is on flights from the US, so he's not going to be able to help you if you're flying from the UK. Both Grayland and I walk the camino frequently and have always carried our poles in or on our backpack without a problem. In the US, at least, it's not a question of airline regulations, it's the TSA security check-in where there has been some doubt. But so far, from the US, pilgrims have all been successful carrying on their poles. But that doesn't really have any relevance for you. There is a good thread about RyanAir and poles if you do a search, in case that's your airline. Buen camino, Laurie

Not quite, I think it depends on your airport. I've two friends and one aunt who've had their poles rejected at security at my local airport. My aunt allowed them to take hers, my friends returned to the lobby and called a spouse to come pick them up. I believe it's a risk one takes, whether or not they'll pass thru security.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Jeff, Grayland's experience is on flights from the US, so he's not going to be able to help you if you're flying from the UK. Both Grayland and I walk the camino frequently and have always carried our poles in or on our backpack without a problem. In the US, at least, it's not a question of airline regulations, it's the TSA security check-in where there has been some doubt. But so far, from the US, pilgrims have all been successful carrying on their poles. But that doesn't really have any relevance for you. There is a good thread about RyanAir and poles if you do a search, in case that's your airline. Buen camino, Laurie

Drat! Thought somebody had come up with a cunning plan :(

Back to Plan A - Caminoteca in Pamplona.

I had rather cheap "Nordic Walking" sticks sbought in Finland. I put them in my backpack sticking out and checked in as odd size luggage in Helsinki, with advice of personnel at check in. On return from Madrid I could have paid for additional luggage in advance which is fairly cheap with Finnair, but a bankomat swollowed my credit card in S de C.. (I travelled with a fried so then on for the days remaining I had a walking bank with me).
I wanted to carry my well used walking sticks back, after Camino Norte. -In Madrid I had them wrapped up in plastic at the airport (cost some 20 euros) but check in as additional luggage had ment 50 EUR. Again very friendly staff at check in suggested I try security, if not allowed I could come back. In security I put the package on the line and it was stopped and I was asked what is in the plastic tubelikething. I explained my walking sticks, and yes it has some shart part but all of it is now wrapped up in plactic. I waited as the duty person had to ask a more senior person what to do. I got them back, and I was then allowed to carry them aboard. "Thank You senhor, you saved me 50 euros.."
I think this art tube and check in, in advance would be the safest option. In my case it was up to what security decided. And I would have gotten a new pair rather cheap at home but after using these poles/sticks from Irun to SdeC I wanted to carry them back home.

Here is a website with the United States TSA statement on what is currently prohibited in carry-ons on planes:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items
While many items are specifically listed (e.g. ski poles, golf clubs), there is no mention of hiking poles.
It is stated, however, that "the final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We never had problems on U S airlines, it was the European airlines that made us check them.

I have had no problems transporting walking poles in a lightweight barrel bag. The advantage of using a barrel bag or a similar lightweight bag is it can be used inside your pack as storage or pack liner. Using a bag also saves having to purchase a storage tube on the way home.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.