• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing my daugther - which stage to choose?

Laura Olsen

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked before - planning trip April-May 23
Hello all,

I am bringing my 15 y old daughter for a bit of camino walking over easter 2017. But which stage to choose? She is physically very fit, so mountains is not an issue. Thinking either Pamplona to Logroño or Logroño to Burgos. What would you recommend?

all the best,
Laura

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Laura,

I love the Frances and have just returned (yesterday) from Santiago de Compostela after walking from Porto........

So, What about the Camino Portuguese from Porto? My kids grew up with Harry Potter and Porto has wonderful inspirations for Harry Potter stories..... such as the Lello bookshop, the university gowns etc etc...... and the food is really good too....... the walk along the beach is beautiful (mind, I was almost blown into the Atlantic on 24 November as it was vvvv windy and wet!!)

The walk is not as hilly as the Frances but it is a lovely beautiful walk through lots of woodlands.... I switched to the Central route from Porzoa de Varzim (due to wet weather).

I think both the Frances and Portuguese routes have a lot to offer, so, good luck in your choice. Whatever you choose will be the right one for you both!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My vote goes to Pamplona - Burgos stretch. Because I found it the most varied. You get some smaller hills and also a touch of Meseta.
Also Pamplona and Burgos has good transport connections and much to see at the beginning/end of your hike.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Fifteen is different than my seventy. I might guess the social part of the journey could be her lasting memory as the physical will be less of a challenge. Consider starting in Roncesvalles to include some forest. Where you end will be where she will next want to start. Pack light or train hard, keep it fun and you will stay high in the Pantheon........... Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

Wow, I am excited for you! I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP in June of this year with my 23 year old daughter. I have to say that it was a challenge for me the first few weeks because she was a bit (a lot actually) negative about the long distances, being tired, the heat, etc., etc. I started regretted asking her to go, but I saw a change in her after we passed the halfway point.

By the time we got to Santiago her whole attitude had changed. She got up early and her steps were light and joyful, instead of dragging. The day we got our Compostela we happened to walk by the cathedral and a tour guide with a huge group of tourists saw it in her hand and he stopped her and asked her some questions about her trek while on his microphone with the tourists. I have a picture of her glowing and beaming while she proudly answered his questions. I realized then that my trek on the Camino with her will be an experience that she, and me too of course, will treasure the rest of her life. How many parents get to have such a wonderful experience? Some, but not many.

I just went back and completed the Camino Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Santiago this November, and while planning it my daughter asked if she could go. Unfortunately, she couldn't because of work. But, she wants to trek another Camino in May, 2017, with me again.

So, no matter what section of the Camino you decide to trek with her, it will be a wonderful experience for both of you, you will love it! I am excited for you! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you do choose the walk to Burgos, have a look at this thread and this one, which describe the river route into Burgos. Or another thread (even better) includes a detailed PDF file. It is not as clearly marked on the trail as it could be, at least when I walked it. But you can't get very far lost, as all the roads, and the river, lead to the city.

I'll keep it simple and in the spirit of the question (reread her question, folks). ;)
Pamplona to Logrono or Logrono to Burgos?

Door number one....Pamplona to Logrono. Two very cool cities and Pamplona is not to be missed.

Start in Pamplona, she can then walk the streets of San Fermin festivities and where Hemingway spent a lot of time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

I am bringing my 15 y old daughter for a bit of camino walking over easter 2017. But which stage to choose? She is physically very fit, so mountains is not an issue. Thinking either Pamplona to Logroño or Logroño to Burgos. What would you recommend?

all the best,
Laura
I would let her study the stages and let her decide. Anyone who can walk such a journey with their willing 15 year old is on to a winner. An Easter to remember for the rest of your lives.
Good Luck

I would let her study the stages and let her decide. Anyone who can walk such a journey with their willing 15 year old is on to a winner. An Easter to remember for the rest of your lives.
Good Luck
Well, she did start a post and ask for advice from pilgrims who have walked it before, ha ha.

Wow, I am excited for you! I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP in June of this year with my 23 year old daughter. I have to say that it was a challenge for me the first few weeks because she was a bit (a lot actually) negative about the long distances, being tired, the heat, etc., etc. I started regretted asking her to go, but I saw a change in her after we passed the halfway point.

By the time we got to Santiago her whole attitude had changed. She got up early and her steps were light and joyful, instead of dragging. The day we got our Compostela we happened to walk by the cathedral and a tour guide with a huge group of tourists saw it in her hand and he stopped her and asked her some questions about her trek while on his microphone with the tourists. I have a picture of her glowing and beaming while she proudly answered his questions. I realized then that my trek on the Camino with her will be an experience that she, and me too of course, will treasure the rest of her life. How many parents get to have such a wonderful experience? Some, but not many.

I just went back and completed the Camino Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Santiago this November, and while planning it my daughter asked if she could go. Unfortunately, she couldn't because of work. But, she wants to trek another Camino in May, 2017, with me again.

So, no matter what section of the Camino you decide to trek with her, it will be a wonderful experience for both of you, you will love it! I am excited for you! Buen Camino!

What a wonderful story! I hope my daughter will enjoy it just as much. It is her own wish. She saw the pictures from my trip and said she would like to go to. If I am lucky we will end up having a tradition just like you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for all your replies. I have a feeling that no matter which part we choose, it will be fantastic. I would love the walk over the Pyrenees, but the weather in April can be tricky, so right now I am leaning towards Pamplona to Logroño.

Easter week (semana santa) will be busy as many locals will be walking bits of the Camino or simply gather in major town and villages where there is a procession .

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back