• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Bringing Pillow OR Pillow Case?

Diegomartine

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 1st. (2014)
Hi guys!

I'll be doing the Frances next month. Should I bring a Pillow? I know some albergues have pillows on that case should I bring a pillow case?

Do you have any suggestions of brands to buy? Models?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I actually do carry a pillow case. It doesn't fit every thing but I can stuff it with shirt etc when necessary. Carrying a pillow would not work well for most.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use a pillow case or bag to stuff my clothes (separate for clean and dirty) and use it as a pillow.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I used a permethrin-treated sarong as a pillow case, personal changing room and covering between the shower and bed. Extremely useful and takes up little space / weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I brought a pillow case. Most pillows were too long for it, but it worked just fine with part of the pillow sticking out. I liked the bit of luxury at the end of the day - putting my head down on a nice, smooth, high thread count pillow case.

My husband just used the end of his sleep sack, which has a place for a pillow - he just wrapped that around the pillow and was good to go, never used his pillow case.

I think the sarong is a good idea - good multi-use item.

We took pillows. My husband has an old neck injury and I have some arthritis in my shoulder. After trying out different light weight camping pillows we each selected one to bring on the camino. Most albergues had pillows and most had disposable covers for them. But the the pills tended to be pretty firm and we both would have struggled to sleep with them. We were so glad we had our own and never regretted the space in our packs or the weight -- we slept well each night!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a hard time sleeping without a pillow (I always take an inflatable one when I go camping) but didn't take one on the CF. Almost all the albergues offered them, with clean pillowcases. In the very few that did not, I could easily fill one of my stuff sacks with clothes and make do. I didn't use a sarong, either - too much weight for not enough benefit, just not my style, I guess!

Diegomartine -- that Thermarest pillow you posted is the one I took. Loved it. It's light but it is a bit bulky compared to some others. But after testing several its the one that worked for me. I did not take a pillow case.

I really think pillows are pretty personal. And you can see that the pillows in the albergues worked well for many folks. My husband took a down filled pillow that was much lighter and more compact but wasn't supportive enough for me but he loved it. Here it is: Grand Trunk Travel Pillow: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M0O2AQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

If you plan to take a pillow do what you can to try it out in advance. We own about 5 different brands that we tried out before we found what we liked! But given the health issues I mentioned above, and our need for good rest, the investment was worth it!

Liz

We never stayed in a place that didn't have pillows, although I suppose there are places that don't. We took some inexpensive satin-like pillow cases from Walmart that slipped onto the pillow very easily, although once we reached Spain we realized that we should have taken king-size pillow cases since the typical pillow is much longer than standard-size American pillows. Many albergues provide disposable paper-like sheets and pillow cases.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just slept on whatever pillows were available; never gave a thought to bringing pillow case--kind of insulting to establishment, isn't it?

Young women from Italy carried very large stuffed animals on outside of packs to use as pillows--To the girl with the tiger--hope you made it to Santiago as I heard you were sick for a few days.

never gave a thought to bringing pillow case--kind of insulting to establishment, isn't it?

I don't know. I think that with all of the people who come through alberques, with all of their various quirks, the people who run the alberques have got to be used to all sorts of odd behavior. Someone putting their own pillowcase on a pillow is probably so low on the scale of odd behavior that it wouldn't even register - if they even had time to notice pillowcases with all of the tasks they have to do every day. And, even if their place is spotlessly clean, the people who run the alberques have got to know that there are other places with questionable housekeeping standards.

Back