• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing the Camino "back home"

indyinmaine

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - SJPdP to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2013
There are all sorts of references in the Forum about its being "infectious", "having to go back", "which one will I do next", etc., etc. While I too have those feelings I'm trying to concentrate on translating my experience to those who either don't have the time, resources, or perhaps inclination to walk, particularly as it relates to spirituality and the church. To date I've found that my presentations come across more like travelogues rather than translatable experiences (if you haven't done it there's no way they can experience it).
In the four months since I've returned I've come to the conclusion that there is a distinct "vocabulary" problem and am in the process of writing a book about it. That will probably take some time and in the interim I'm considering organizing a retreat (in the US but not necessarily in Maine) to focus on the topic. While the date is yet uncertain I'm thinking about Fall '14 or Spring '15.
I'd be interested in conversing with anyone who might have the same inclinations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked the Camino twice, starting both times from Le Puy.
I am not Christian and so my reasons to walk it were not religious but personal.
It was my first try of a "long distance trail" which got me hooked on these kind of trails, like the AT, TMB and more.
I can describe this experience best by transferring the feeling of a long distnace hiker first. After walking for 5 to 7 days your body adjusts to the hardness of the trail leaving your mind to soar up,
you find yourslef walking like an automatic pilot, you walk and your body sense the trail while your mind is doing nothing else but high level meditation.
It's an experience no one can avoid- you walk almost all day long, the noises and sounds you hear are the wind, rain, leaves, trees, birds, your breaths, the squeaking of your pack- all these are the ideal recipe for a high level meditation and this is the feeling you get addicted to, this is what made me and others come back and walk more long distance trails.
Now, add to this the experience of the many people you meet, the encounters of people and countries not familiar before, the sharing, caring, attention from other people is intoxicating, you feel like you are trully not alone, you can trust almost everyone to do everything to and for you, where else, in these stormy time, can you find this eperience? many like me wish to feel it again and again and this why many go back.
It is a feeling of physical and mental strength that rises from within you and make you feel like you can conquer the world, nothing is hard from that point on.
Infectious?oh yes, I have become a missionar for the Camino and long distane hikining in general, I try and succeed convincing my friends and strangers I meet on the net to walk th Camino.
Every spring my feet itch and I plan to walk another trail that year if I can , I constantly plan on which trail I should walk and there are so many of them but the camino is a life changer for me.

To date I've found that my presentations come across more like travelogues rather than translatable experiences
Isn't that just the general futility of wanting others to feel what I feel? To have them understand me?

One can rebel against the essential loneness of life, or simply accept it. No one will ever completely understand another person, and there simply are not enough words to crash through that barrier.

A nice travelogue gets others going, where they can have their own thoughts and feelings. That may be all that you can do.;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I understand the myriad of reasons why each of us walk the Camino. Interesting enough though is that the description zammy gave is almost a carbon copy of mine, even though our goals might have been totally (or were they?) different. I think there's a common element in doing the walk and I just happen to be interested in how that can be best translated to my church community. If everyone who either could or wanted to walked the Camino I'm fairly certain that the "experience" would be lost in the crowds. If that were to happen we would all probably find another one which was less crowded!

If everyone who either could or wanted to walked the Camino I'm fairly certain that the "experience" would be lost in the crowds.
Not for me. No one else's camino diminishes mine no matter how many there are. If all 7 billion humans did it in one year, though, finding a bed would be a problem.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back