• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing things home from Santiago — what to buy?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Could you elaborate a bit on what he does? What do you mean when you say that he will “customise pilgrim prints”?
So he used some lovely, pilgrim-related drawings which he mounts (depending on what you have selected) on to single or multiple pages and then adds personalised calligraphy.
My wife and I had two sets of friends for who I arranged a Camino Portugues from Valenca do Minho. We flew out to meet and surprise them when they arrived in the Obradioro and we presented each couple with a four page memento which detailed their names as Peregrinos, the Camino and distance that they had walked, the names of significant places they had walked through and the dates and also a personal message to congratulate them from us.

Last edited:
Some members have mentioned bringing cheese back home to N. America. I'm wondering how the soft cheeses such as Tetilla and Arzúa-Ulloa fare with being unrefrigerated for a couple of days? Getting them vacuum packed might not be an option for me, because I might only be in Santiago on a Sunday when so many businesses are closed.

And if I am able to bring them back without risking food poisoning, will they have to go into checked luggage for the flight home? I seem to recall reading that soft cheese is considered "gel-like" and therefore quantities over 100 grams are not permitted in carry-on luggage.

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Some members have mentioned bringing cheese back home to N. America. I'm wondering how the soft cheeses such as Tetilla and Arzúa-Ulloa fare with being unrefrigerated for a couple of days? Getting them vacuum packed might not be an option for me, because I might only be in Santiago on a Sunday when so many businesses are closed.

And if I am able to bring them back without risking food poisoning, will they have to go into checked luggage for the flight home? I seem to recall reading that soft cheese is considered "gel-like" and therefore quantities over 100 grams are not permitted in carry-on luggage.

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

Hi @Sheesh,
The places where I buy the cheese have the equipment to do the vacuum packing, so if you can buy the cheese on a Sunday you can probably get it vacuum packed on a Sunday. I buy cheese in Santiago, and a few days unrefrigerated has never been a problem.

Each country’s regulations are different, but for the US, cheese can be brought through customs. I don’t think carry-on vs. checking is an issue. A customs official once told me that if the cheese were VERY runny (like Casar de Cáceres)) they might not let it through, but my cheese taste does not go in that direction, so I’ve never had a problem.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.