• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing vitamins/supplements

nismo4life

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Due to some unknown reasoning, I have a tremendously difficult time eating foods out of my comfort zone. If the texture or consistency is strange or not to my mouth's liking It'll instantly hit my gag reflex. One thing I can assure you I wont eat is fish. Pork is next on that list. I've been told by a lot of family that the food along the way is outside of what I normally eat, so while trying to survive and adapt on my journey I'd like to have something to help combat the lack of nutrients I'll be lacking.

Have any of you brought vitamins or supplements from home?

Currently I take One-A-Day at night, and drink an Isolate Protein shake in the morning instead of breakfast, and after workout 3 times a week. Obviously though bringing a gallon size tub of protein powder isn't exactly going to practical on the Camino :mrgreen:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We are just showing the early signs of being hit with the end of (southern hemisphere) winter colds and so I have ended up throwing in Vitamin C tablets and fish oil capsules. Had we been healthy, I wouldn't have bothered, but I want to knock these colds before they start. We are drinking lots of rosehip and elderflower tea and eating up our stash of garlic before we leave in two days!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does anyone know what is available along the Camino for supplements ... I am wondering if something like 5-HTP is sold along the way as they are quite bulky ...

Obviously though bringing a gallon size tub of protein powder isn't exactly going to practical on the Camino :mrgreen:

Why not? If that's what you need, that's what you need. It looks like it won't be easy to find vegetarian protein sources on the Norte (I can only eat so many eggs and starchy beans) so I'll be carrying protein powder with me in addition to several daily vitamins. Protein is going to be especially important in those first two weeks as you demand more than usual from your legs and back and build new muscle.

Due to some unknown reasoning, I have a tremendously difficult time eating foods out of my comfort zone. If the texture or consistency is strange or not to my mouth's liking It'll instantly hit my gag reflex. One thing I can assure you I wont eat is fish. Pork is next on that list. I've been told by a lot of family that the food along the way is outside of what I normally eat, so while trying to survive and adapt on my journey I'd like to have something to help combat the lack of nutrients I'll be lacking.

Have any of you brought vitamins or supplements from home?

Currently I take One-A-Day at night, and drink an Isolate Protein shake in the morning instead of breakfast, and after workout 3 times a week. Obviously though bringing a gallon size tub of protein powder isn't exactly going to practical on the Camino :mrgreen:

If you tell us what you can eat normally, apart from supplements / shakes, we can tell you what is available and / or what workarounds are possible. As for vitamins / minerals, there are a lot of fresh and dried fruits and nuts available in Spain. Nuts being also an excellent protein source. Tell us more and we can be more specific, Buen Camino! SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back