• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

British Summer

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
13082659_10156885737830541_5771634336486453895_n.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's pretty grim here too. I'm not complaining as I'm working long hours at my desk to finish a work project (and rewarding myself with little breaks to visit the forum!).
No May Day holiday for freelancers!

Edit - but the countdown app on my desktop helps to take my mind off work and the weather :)
IMG_7110.JPG

That countdown app looks worrying obsessive to me . But as I am on a bus to an airport for yet another long walk "stones" and "glass houses" spring to mind.:)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Apparently it is scheduled to start on July 15th and finish on the 15th of July this year. That sucks as I will be in Spain and miss it again! :(

I think you may have your summers mixed up Al.
Our summer this year will be on a Tuesday, sometime between 1020hrs to 1321hrs, but it will be interrupted by ocassional wintry showers.;)

It will be 26 C in Calgary today. A week or two ago, we had a new record high of 27 C. The old record held since 1916. We pretty much missed winter this year, thanks to that warm little boy called el nino. I shall be going into the mountains here about two months earlier than usual, unless our rainy season (June) changes things too much. I am very grateful for this. When I lived in England, we never had much of what I call winter, and never counted on much from summer. But the growing season was long and we had a large and fruitful garden. All seasons are good, but maybe you could do without the British rain and we are desperate for some here in Calgary. Send it our way to end the growing drought, but not enough to stop me from walking in the mountains. Edited for higher temperature today.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last Monday we had hail. Last Thursday we had sunshine, rain and snow. Today it has climbed to a balmy 12C (54F)! Yes summer is definitely early and here already!
Al, I'm in Wolverhampton too. You're right, I think it's happening! The sun is out!!! Don't blink, you'll miss it!

My heart bleeds for you - such a hardship :) Hope your Camino is blessed. I'm between buses on the way to Gatwick at this very moment.
Don't know how to say Buen Camino in Swedish Brady, but do wish you a wonderful journey. I must say, I love the way you live your life..safe travel.

Our daily, year round, average temperature here is about 27 oC. We either have the dry season or the rainly season. Right now, we are transitioning into the rainy, or green season ( as the promotors would like to call it). However.....the rain only lasts an hour, or two at the most and then it's back to the sun.
Two days ago, I called my brother who lives in Kent and he said it had snowed the day before.
I never understood why those stone age folk ever went and populated those northern countries!
I remember when I was a child, growing up in England, that once in a while we had a "heat wave". That meant that the newspaper would make the headline ( in very big letters)....'in the 90's'. This went on daily for 3 or 4 days and then we read the message 'rain stopped play'. ( that means the cricket test match, for those of you who are not familiar of that strange game beloved by the Brits and the old Commonwealth countries)!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two days ago, I called my brother who lives in Kent and he said it had snowed the day before.
I never understood why those stone age folk ever went and populated those northern countries!

Yup, we had snow and at times hail :rolleyes:
And usually, after just a couple of sunny days, we get a hose-pipe ban :D
I think being sent to the UK was considered a hardship post for the Romans, wasn't it? :D
Must have been warmer in the stone age... Oh wait, lots of them in France and Spain !

Yup, we had snow and at times hail :rolleyes:
And usually, after just a couple of sunny days, we get a hose-pipe ban :D
I think being sent to the UK was considered a hardship post for the Romans, wasn't it? :D
Must have been warmer in the stone age... Oh wait, lots of them in France and Spain !
In fact, when I called, the day after the snow, he was relaxing in the garden with a glass of well deserved wine, after having mowed the grass!

Yep, 10 days in Bristol sleet gales etc has certainly prepared this soft subtropical plants for the rigours of Northern Spain...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks @movinmaggie ! I've had a wonderful and surreal day and I haven't even reached the airport yet. Indian meal with my excellent in-laws, a drink and chat with my daughter in a Whitehall pub, then a late night walk past the iconic sights of London - the Cenotaph, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey. A fox all but running over my boots in Victoria Street. All weirdly quiet this still quiet and dry holiday night. Just leaving the frankly dull Victoria Coach Station for Gatwick airport. Next stop Stockholm then Sundsvall!

Last edited:
Many thanks @movinmaggie ! I've had a wonderful and surreal day and I haven't even reached the airport yet. Indian meal with my excellent in-laws, a drink and chat with my daughter in a Whitehall pub, then a late night walk past the iconic sights of London - the Cenotaph, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey. A fox all but running over my boots in Victoria Street. All weirdly quiet this still quiet and dry holiday night. Just leaving the frankly dull Victoria Coach Station for Gatwick airport. Next stop Stockholm then Sundsvall!
Me thinks that fox is an omen.....something good I'm sure. Let us know how it goes.

@Stephen Nicholls This Scot in exile is glad to have been of some service :)
@Kathar1na - the famous "summer of '76". Donna Summer nonstop on all radio channels, road surfaces melting, heatstroke victims everywhere. The only real summer that any Brit under 100 years of age can recall.

@Stephen Nicholls This Scot in exile is glad to have been of some service :)
@Kathar1na - the famous "summer of '76". Donna Summer nonstop on all radio channels, road surfaces melting, heatstroke victims everywhere. The only real summer that any Brit under 100 years of age can recall.

I was in London then and I loved it!!
Happy trails Bradypus :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We only had one day Andy. My aunt who lives about a mile or so the other side of Wednesfield had snow on a different day!
The summer of '76. I remember it well. I was working in the computer department of Birmingham Corporation. The mainframe was water cooled and the heat used to heat the building. No windows opened and no air conditioning in the building apart from the computer room. It was so hot that they had to shut half of the machine down! You just couldn't make it up could you?

Nowadays, the headlines read "Hotter than [fill in a suitable location South of the Alps]". And they do use Celsius ;). Here is a selection from today's press:
  • Hotter than Marrakesh! Britain set to sizzle in 24C heat this weekend (but watch out in Scotland for AVALANCHES)
  • London 'hotter than Ibiza' this weekend
  • UK weather: Britain to be hotter than Ibiza and Barcelona at 23C by Saturday
Can one actually sizzle in 24 C? ;).
These quotes really had me laughing!
Yup, thank goodness at least Britain had the wisdom to change to Celsius

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our warm summer day has turned against us. I came home from a meeting about preventing another flood in Calgary to find out that a city in northern Alberta which was fighting a wildfire is now largely consumed by the fire. There were eighty thousand residents of Fort MacMurray and all have been compulsorily evacuated as the city burns. I am in shock. This seems so irrelevant to the camino forum and yet I feel that I have friends here. Please, those of you who pray, keep this city and its people in your thoughts and prayers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Our warm summer day has turned against us. I came home from a meeting about preventing another flood in Calgary to find out that a city in northern Alberta which was fighting a wildfire is now largely consumed by the fire. There were eighty thousand residents of Fort MacMurray and all have been compulsorily evacuated as the city burns. I am in shock. This seems so irrelevant to the camino forum and yet I feel that I have friends here. Please, those of you who pray, keep this city and its people in your thoughts and prayers.
Albertagirl, I was watching it on the news tonight from here in Victoria. It is more than shocking and I am so saddened to see the faces of those who are suffering, not just from such a frightening situation, but from the loss they are about to go through having to heed to the (wise) orders to leave and knowing there will be nothing left when they return. My heart goes out to everyone there. My son just retired from the Fire Dept. in California. I lived similar stories through him for many years now. It is also very hard on them. Just seeing the expression on that Fire Chief; sheer devastation and him trying to hold back the tears. Prayers all around. Maggie

Our warm summer day has turned against us. I came home from a meeting about preventing another flood in Calgary to find out that a city in northern Alberta which was fighting a wildfire is now largely consumed by the fire.
That is awful Albertagirl [sorry I don't know your name]. This disaster has even made the BBC National news. We hope - yes, and pray - that there will be no loss of life, and those left homeless will find comfort and secure rest elsewhere. Our prayers are with you all.
Blessings from East Anglia in England....

Last edited:
Albertagirl, I was watching it on the news tonight from here in Victoria. It is more than shocking and I am so saddened to see the faces of those who are suffering, not just from such a frightening situation, but from the loss they are about to go through having to heed to the (wise) orders to leave and knowing there will be nothing left when they return. My heart goes out to everyone there. My son just retired from the Fire Dept. in California. I lived similar stories through him for many years now. It is also very hard on them. Just seeing the expression on that Fire Chief; sheer devastation and him trying to hold back the tears. Prayers all around. Maggie
Thank you for your response, @movinmaggie. As you may know, the situation in Fort McMurray is still uncertain, with a forecast of 31C and strong winds predicted for today. But some of the information on the CBC news last night was erroneous. The hospital, reported to be on fire, is still fine, with patients evacuated. The fires within the city seem to be out at present. Fifty-three thousand people out of the eighty three thousand residents have evacuated and authorities are beginning to look for persons who have not evacuated. As in the Calgary flood, it appears to be "sauve qui peut" - save yourself, and only those in institutions are evacuated by authorities. Those who do not have a car are left behind for later. There is no information about casualties. But the airport is open and all needed assistance is arriving. I sincerely hope that the worst is over.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Albertagirl I'm following the news on French TV and radio and you are all - practically every minute - in my thoughts. Now I'm praying you get some rain as they're saying it's the only thing that can stop it?
There is also a lot of praise for everyone's wonderful behaviour...
Sooooo upsetting.

@Albertagirl I'm following the news on French TV and radio and you are all - practically every minute - in my thoughts. Now I'm praying you get some rain as they're saying it's the only thing that can stop it?
There is also a lot of praise for everyone's wonderful behaviour...
Sooooo upsetting.
@domigee:
Thank you. Please keep in your prayers a Fort McMurray firefighter whose 15 year old daughter died in a car accident during the evacuation, while he was on duty fighting the fire.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.