• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brochures on the Saiatz alternative

peregrina2000

Staff member
EDIT by Laurie — These brochures are much more helpful in screen shot format, so I have deleted the scanned copies that I had added to this post. Just scroll down to Tom’s attachments and you will have a much better copy.

With a lot of help from my forum friends, I was able to walk the Saiatz alternative of the Vasco Interior. I did post about it live, but I also want to make these very helpful brochures available. I have scanned them, four pages each, and I think it will be obvious how to print them out and paste them together. They provide very good information.

It was a challenge, but it was some of the most beautiful walking I have done on any camino.

Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK - bit of online teamwork here.. Laurie sent me smartphone photos of each sheet and I've tried to enhance the definition a little and upload them in two formats JPEG and PDF.
Both should work pretty well if read/zoomed on a tablet or smartphone. The PDF format may be easier for old skool types that like to print.
The original paper guides come as two large sheets.
The first one is Section 2b and its 1st side starts in Hernani and goes to Zarateko.
Turn over the sheet and you get Section 2b, 2nd side: Zarateko to Bidania
The sheet for section 3B follows on. On the 1st side goes from Bidania to Mandubia.
Turn over the sheet and you get Section 3B, 2nd side from Mandubia to Zegama
Et voila, you are back on the regular Vasco route.

Attachments

• 2B 1st Hernani-Zarateko.jpeg
    2B 1st Hernani-Zarateko.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 2B 2nd Zarateko-Bidania.jpeg
    2B 2nd Zarateko-Bidania.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 3B 1st Bidania-Mandubia.jpeg
    3B 1st Bidania-Mandubia.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 3B 2nd Mandubia-Zegama.jpeg
    3B 2nd Mandubia-Zegama.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That’s the kind of teamwork I love. I sit back and watch, while the other team member does the work. 😄

I have deleted the attachments in the first post so that people will scroll down to these far superior maps.

This is a much better way to see the maps, which are VERY helpful. Happy to answer any questions about this alternative, because it was absolutely one of the most glorious stretches I have walked on any camino. Though the new mountain alternatives on the Olvidado are right up there as well!

Thanks for all the info @peregrina2000

I thought I would follow up on this thread instead of my thread about another alternate on the Vasco. I was going through some things I copied about a year ago when I first started thinking about this route. I printed a Basque tourism guide from the web and just realized that it has excellent info about the Saiatz alternative. I have included a picture of the cover page and the page with link information. I tried to go back to see if the guide might have been updated but I can't find either of the urls.

Have you see this and do you have any ideas where I could find it again? If no, I could copy the Saiatz Alternate pages and post them here.

LizB

Bazque Guide Web info page.jpgBasque Guide Front Page.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, @ebrant. I have done a little googling with those website addresses and have made my way to what might be the current version of that document. One is in Spanish, and I have been able to find one stage in English. Poking around a little more might find more info online, but if not, posting the pages would be great.

These are great. The first link looks like an online version of what I printed out -- it has links to accomodation which is really helpful. I used google translate on the pages on this site and it worked well. If you download the pages you get an updated version of the brochures you posted above. The downloaded info does not appear to have lodging info on it. But these links are definitely more up to date than what I have as some of the lodging on my print out does not appear to exist anymore.

EDIT by Laurie — These brochures are much more helpful in screen shot format, so I have deleted the scanned copies that I had added to this post. Just scroll down to Tom’s attachments and you will have a much better copy.

With a lot of help from my forum friends, I was able to walk the Saiatz alternative of the Vasco Interior. I did post about it live, but I also want to make these very helpful brochures available. I have scanned them, four pages each, and I think it will be obvious how to print them out and paste them together. They provide very good information.

It was a challenge, but it was some of the most beautiful walking I have done on any camino.

Buen camino, Laurie
Wow Laurie, I just for the first time read some of your wonderful blog. As one fit gray haired woman to another, you are inspirational. Can’t wait to get out there again. Oct 2021-seems like too long ago...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie, I have been a member of this forum for five+ years and although I have seen the Vasco mentioned quite often, today is the first time I have ever noticed/heard of the Saiatz alternative. I do wonder if there is any Camino route left in Spain that you have not yet walked!

OK - bit of online teamwork here.. Laurie sent me smartphone photos of each sheet and I've tried to enhance the definition a little and upload them in two formats JPEG and PDF.
Both should work pretty well if read/zoomed on a tablet or smartphone. The PDF format may be easier for old skool types that like to print.
The original paper guides come as two large sheets.
The first one is Section 2b and its 1st side starts in Hernani and goes to Zarateko.
Turn over the sheet and you get Section 2b, 2nd side: Zarateko to Bidania
The sheet for section 3B follows on. On the 1st side goes from Bidania to Mandubia.
Turn over the sheet and you get Section 3B, 2nd side from Mandubia to Zegama
Et voila, you are back on the regular Vasco route.
In Euskera Zarateko means "of Zarate", basque is an agglutinative language, there are no prepositions. It's grammar is alien if you speak a Indo-European language yes, but not as difficult as people may think, it super logical. Zarateko Benta would be in that way Venta de Zarate in Spanish. So it's proper name would be Zarate.
My best regards!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Happy to give feedback and answer questions as it is mars 2024 and the walk from Bayonne has unfolded a full week tomorrow….. Only one hickup and that was message back to me not forwarded...
I recently had a free week while on vacation in Spain and decided to walk part of the Camino Vasco from Irun to Vitoria-Gasteiz. I walked for 6 days starting at the end of November and stayed in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back