• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Broken backpack

twigsandribbons

I am so sorry to only use this forum when I need help, but I promise when I have more time I´ll be updating with some positive things!

I´m currently in Molinseca and my Gregory Jade 35 liter pack broke today, the shoulder strap came loose on one side and though I rigged it, it´s putting pressure on the other side which is now also about to break. I´ll be in Ponferrada tomorrow... is there anywhere I can buy a new bag close by, or would you recommend I try to get a new one shipped to me? I´m short on time at the moment unfortunately. Is there any place I might be able to get it repaired? Thanks so much for any help you guys can give me, I appreciate it so much.

- Linds

(By the way, it was tendonitis in the knee and both ankles and I´m quite recovered after a helpful Red Cross clinic in Viana!! :) Thanks for all the help!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ponferrada is a large town and there are sure to be a couple of places where you could get a new pack. Ponferrada is only a short walk from Molinaseca, so you should be able to get the problem fixed in the morning. Probably you could have the broken one fixed if that is what you prefer. Good luck, Anne

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
in Ponferrada, next door to the Tourist Info and Castle(along the narrow street that runs off to the left if your back is facing the castle) there is an outdoor shop that sells backpacks, sleeping bags etc so you should find help there. Its got an Irish sounding name but sorry I can't remember what it is. The girl in there is very helpful. good luck, Jane

Thanks so much for all of your help! I wasn´t able to find a bootmender but I did find Fitz Roy´s, the outdoor store by the Castle in Ponferrada. I replaced my Gregory Jade 35L with a Osprey Aura 50, a very very nice pack. It was a bit expensive but REI has told me they´ll reimburse me for my former pack so that takes the edge off it-- and it´s very exciting to have a nice big pack for future adventures! :D

Today I´m in Palais de Rey, and there´s a huge wave of pilgrims moving through. I´ve been very lucky to have a tent, a sleeping bag and an inflatable mat for the last few days... things are hectic! But me and mine are keeping in good spirits nevertheless. It´s the home stretch for me now, and I´m both excited and getting a bit nervous as it all comes to an end. Buen camino to everyone else on the 2010 trail!

- Lindsay

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back