• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Broken pinky toe!

shellypaul

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2016 September)
Hello all, Arrived in Paris yesterday & in the middle of the night ran into a chair. My pinky toe looks like a thumb & so painful to walk. My husband says it's a sign & to return home. Am worried about getting over the mountain! Any thoughts?
Shelly

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You best go see a physician. If you did break a toe or fracture your foot it is not something to make worse. My wife fractured her foot & was in a walking boot for 3 months. Go see someone. As the Camino will wait for you as you get verified how bad you hopefully just stubbed your toe. Hopefully it will just make you enjoy Paris for an extra day or so. After all how often do you get to see men dressed that fancy where you live?

@shellypaul Bummer! Maybe it is a sign that you will face and overcome your challenges early on your Camino.

It makes sense to get it checked out. I broke my little toe one year chasing the kids around the hotel room before a Mickey's Very Merry Christmas. One of the boys rolled the ottoman in front of me to block me. Snap went the little toe at a 90° angle. I straightened it out, taped to the next toe, put my shoe on and laced it up right away to contain the swelling. I walked around the park all night long. It hurt, but it was doable. I have broken several others on the boat catching a cleat. Usually the same treatment for all, buddy tape and ice as needed. I finally learned to always where my keens arghh!

Unless you really did a number on it, they will probably just buddy tape it, and suggest an anti-inflammatory, RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. I am not sure if they would be willing to give you a long-acting anesthetic with corticosteroid, but that would help with the pain and swelling. Maybe consider starting at Roncevalles instead of SJDP a day or two later if necessary.

Try to make the best of it and take it slow if you decide to continue. Ice it whenever you stop if possible. Vitamin I as needed, but watch the tummy. Leave yourself a little extra room in the toe box of your shoe or boot to accommodate swelling. You maybe able to make an intermediate knot up a few inches from the toe or at the base of the ankle, so that you can tighten your shoe or boot and keep your foot in place if that makes sense. You may consider a thin female pad for padding in your shoe or boot to cushion your toe if needed. Are you using trekking poles? Be careful to find a natural stride and posture, so that you do not transmit a limp etc. to other parts of your body.

I did attach a couple of slides from WFR for your review.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Attachments

• slide62.png
    slide62.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 23
  • slide63.png
    slide63.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 19
  • slide64.png
    slide64.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 18
  • slide71.png
    slide71.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 18
  • slide72.png
    slide72.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 15
  • slide83.png
    slide83.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
  • slide84.png
    slide84.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 17
  • slide85.png
    slide85.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 16
  • slide86.png
    slide86.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 16
  • slide82.png
    slide82.png
    132 KB · Views: 16
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have broken a few toes during my lifetime (main reason horses stepping on it) and they are a) hurtful but b) not life threading ;-)

By all means, see a GP/physician!
Put in a couple of rest days with your feet put up above heart level.
When swelling has gone down (and with GP approval) tape broken toe to its neighbour(s).
Walk gingerly but try to maintain a normal gait to avoid knee/hip problems due to misbalance.

Walk smaller stages and listen to your body. Buen Camino, SY

Same here...it hurts like crazy but not a lot can be done except taping it to the next toe and RICE. Doug's information is super.
So yes, do see a doc, but then go with your gut feeling. A successful Camino is not out of the question: the stability and compression of a boot may allow you to walk fine--if not a bit painfully for a while.

Same here...it hurts like crazy but not a lot can be done except taping it to the next toe and RICE. Doug's information is super.
So yes, do see a doc, but then go with your gut feeling. A successful Camino is not out of the question: the stability and compression of a boot may allow you to walk fine--if not a bit painfully for a while.
RICE??? Just curious if this is rest ice compress elevate? They have a new acronym "MCE Move safely as you can as much as you can, Compress and Elevate." A shot of whiskey probably not a bad idea either... :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is a hyperlink to RICE. I am not familiar with MCE. The first part of these approaches seems to contradict each other (rest vs. movement, MCE without ice). RICE has been an integral part of my wfa and wfr training, but I am do to recert next year. There are always updates.

I suggested RICE, but then went on to give suggestions on how to get moving. I guess I am just as conflicted as RICE vs. MCE. Nothing wrong with the whiskey shot, but I might go with a Black Martini in Paris (Chambord Black Raspberry Liquor). In either case, the vitamin I might be contraindicated.

I'm so sorry this happened at such an important time. Last time I broke my little toe I found buddy taping was painful until I put a thin strip of gauze between my toes. Also you need to wear a thick sole shoe to keep the toe from flexing when you walk.

Thank you all for the info & encouragement. On the train now to SJPP. I did pad it & tape it. I will skip the mountain & start in Roncevalles as suggested, as even here On train it is swollen with pain in both lower calves & lower back from limping about. I walked about 4 mi yesterday to try & shake it off . Probably not the best idea I had. Feels better in flip flops with nothing touching it. I'd almost rather go barefoot than put those boots back on. Lol If it gets worse before getting better I'll see the doc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for the info & encouragement. On the train now to SJPP. I did pad it & tape it. I will skip the mountain & start in Roncevalles as suggested, as even here On train it is swollen with pain in both lower calves & lower back from limping about. I walked about 4 mi yesterday to try & shake it off . Probably not the best idea I had. Feels better in flip flops with nothing touching it. I'd almost rather go barefoot than put those boots back on. Lol If it gets worse before getting better I'll see the doc.
We will be praying for your stubborn hide :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
All the best to you and your toe. Take good care of it as it is an integral part of your foot that you need to walk with. I broke my pinky toe years ago and it hurts like heck:confused:, but with good buddy taping as mentioned above (which was not even suggested by the emergency doctor) it healed up nicely. I was lucky in a way that it did not have any displacements, it just split part of the bone down the middle :eek:
Buen Camino!

Broke one of my little toes snagging it on rocks walking a flooded outback river crossing. The water was freezing so I didn't discover the fracture - and the pain - until it had thawed out :eek: Don't know whether it will interfere with the healing but icing your toe may help relieve some of the discomfort.

Be aware of how you are adapting to your injury ie limping as this can cause other issues over time. I speak from painful experience here as I walked/limped my Camino with a foot fracture (NOT recommended!) which created all sorts of interesting problems to resolve back home.

As we've discussed in another thread on this forum, the urge to walk on is strong. Your adjusted plans will help but do take it really easy and a trip to the doctor in the worse before better scenario is highly recommended.

As for the boots, I have known and witnessed some very interesting surgery on footwear to accommodate broken toes.

PS with my broken toe back in 2000 after being patched up in the Alice Springs hospital on a Saturday night (one for the bucket list - not!) I hiked 250kms along the MacDonnell Ranges. It was my first time using trekking poles and they were a life changer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

As soon as you get to Pamplona, go to the El Corte Ingles department store near the bus station. Invest in a pair of hiking sandals that provide better support for your feet, but do not contact the hurt part. There are other shops that sell hiking shoes and boots. They may sell hiking sandals too. But, you are at the season change. It may take some shopping to find what you need and what fits well.

You are doing everything correctly. Good on you! The others have all provided useful advice so I will not pile onto the scrum. Here are my added value comments (I hope)...

NEVER GIVE UP! That said do remember that "there are days to be brave and days to be smart." You are doing fine so far. KEEP IT UP!

Also consider that, if you start out walking, then your foot tells you to stop, LISTEN TO YOUR TOE! Walk only to the next cafe and STOP! Ask them to call a taxi to take you the remaining "X" km to your planned night's lodging. Plan on about one euro per kilometer and round up to the next euro or so. Tipping, per se, is not part of the culture.

This is NOT cheating! "Back in the day," if a medieval farmer came along in his wagon loaded with hay, and offered you, a medieval pilgrim, a ride to the next village, would you accept it? Of course you would. Just do it and relax.

The only time and place this (leap-frogging) is an issue is on the final 100 kilometers, from just after Sarria(Morgade to be exact) to Santiago. You MUST walk the FINAL 100 km of any route to be eligible to receive the Compostela. The staff there DO check that you have two stamps a day after Sarria, and they are familiar with EVERY known stamp.

I hope this helps.

This is NOT cheating! "Back in the day," if a medieval farmer came along in his wagon loaded with hay, and offered you, a medieval pilgrim, a ride to the next village, would you accept it? Ofcourse you would. Just do it and relax.
What!!! A hay ride for a broken toe! I am thinking side business in Spain...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all, Arrived in Paris yesterday & in the middle of the night ran into a chair. My pinky toe looks like a thumb & so painful to walk. My husband says it's a sign & to return home. Am worried about getting over the mountain! Any thoughts?
Shelly
Shelly
Just curious how your doing have you started out yet?

Go and see a physician so you will be familiar with how to tape your toe and secure it, not much can be done with it. I've broken every toe , some multiple times except my left biggin, mostly because of a youthful habit of going barefooted in warmer weather and than the fact I'm a klutz (?).
Its going to hurt regardless, a secure boot will be protctive but it will hurt....bad. Be mindful of things on the floor at night and be resolved that you will bump it against everything and it will hurt....bad.

Sorry for your injury and I do feel your pain. :-( wear the pain like a badge, part of your long walk. It will be better in a week

Be careful and peace.

Well all, I'm sorry to report that when I got to Pamplona, I got on the train to Madrid & I flew home. It was a Sunday & the toe was relentless in its aggravated state. Sure, I could have gone on reluctantly, but it was not to be this Camino. Buen Camino & many thanks to all the pilgrims who provided moral support & physical assistance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@shellypaul A journey of a thousand (or 500) miles begins with a single step. You have taken your first step. You can decide when to take the next. I pray that you will have the fortitude to continue your Camino when the time is right.

Focus your thoughts on the positive experiences from your Camino, and allow them to motivate you to continue.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Sorry to hear that! Speedy recovery and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Well all, I'm sorry to report that when I got to Pamplona, I got on the train to Madrid & I flew home. It was a Sunday & the toe was relentless in its aggravated state. Sure, I could have gone on reluctantly, but it was not to be this Camino. Buen Camino & many thanks to all the pilgrims who provided moral support & physical assistance.

Hi Shelly, I am so sorry to hear this, and feel so much your disappointment as the same thing happened to me one time when I developed tendonitis in my foot and could walk no further. It took a month before it healed completely. Did your husband return with you, or is he still walking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Shelly, I am so sorry to hear this, and feel so much your disappointment as the same thing happened to me one time when I developed tendonitis in my foot and could walk no further. It took a month before it healed completely. Did your husband return with you, or is he still walking?

My husband did not go with me. I feel terribly defeated. I had met two American women who took me under their wing. But, unfortunately, after arriving in the town after Espinal (can't remember where) one of them became jealous of the third wheel. I know now that I should have pressed on. My toe is not 100%, but so much better today. I know now that I should have been strong enough to carry on by myself. I guess for myself I needed some mental encouragement to continue. Lesson learned & just another thing to work on. Now back to work & I'll keep the Camino dreams there...a someday dream! Sorry for the long response, I haven't looked at this forum since soon after I arrived home. Obviously some journaling is in order to preserve my mental clarity & sort out what really happened with my departure

I know now that I should have been strong enough to carry on by myself.
I don't think it show strength or clarity of mind to walk with an injury on an unnecessary journey. You made a very sensible decision and there is no point in second-guessing it now.

My husband did not go with me. I feel terribly defeated. I had met two American women who took me under their wing. But, unfortunately, after arriving in the town after Espinal (can't remember where) one of them became jealous of the third wheel. I know now that I should have pressed on. My toe is not 100%, but so much better today. I know now that I should have been strong enough to carry on by myself. I guess for myself I needed some mental encouragement to continue. Lesson learned & just another thing to work on. Now back to work & I'll keep the Camino dreams there...a someday dream! Sorry for the long response, I haven't looked at this forum since soon after I arrived home. Obviously some journaling is in order to preserve my mental clarity & sort out what really happened with my departure
Time.. It helps us all, you will probably start figuring out how to return like the rest of us

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back