• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bruma to Santiago

Charlie Perry

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I've just got back from doing the Ingles and have a bit of feedback on this leg. I ignored Johnnie Walker's advice to split this leg in two and instead took Perazzoli's and Whitson's suggestion of walking the 40km from Bruma to Santiago in one go. I really should have trusted Johnnie as I'm still sore a week later! I measured the total distance at closer to 42km and although there are no significant climbs or descents there is plenty of up and down which really takes it out of your legs. There were some other factors which didn't help. There were only three of us in the albergue in Bruma and one of the guys was ill so the other guy and I delayed our start to make sure he was OK. Add to that that the weather was really wet and cold and it was November so it got dark quite early. Also, I ate a massive tortilla in Sigueiro which I can now say from experience is not ideal walking food.

In the end I arrived in Santiago at 7pm in the pouring rain and collapsed on my knees in the cathedral which was dramatic but also quite painful. So overall I really wish I'd stopped for the night in Sigueiro.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I made the same mistake on the Camino Finisterre, walking from Negreira to Cee in a single day - about 50 Kms. It hurt... a lot.

I walked from Bruma to nearly Santiago yesterday! Not by my plan, I planned to stay at the hotel San Vincente but it was closed! Also tried to follow The Csj guide, but the route out of O Siguero in the forest part has changed. I followed the guide instructions but there are now no markings at the T junction or on the road as described! I got to the hotel eventually after a few extra Kms, and an old lady's guidance, but no go there, so I turned and headed for Santiago. About 7 Km before Santiago I found Camino gold. The Hotel Castro was open right on the Camino and I got a room with a Bath! Just as it got dark. I think sometimes that the best things happen on the Camino in difficult circumstances.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Johnnie,
Sorry but I have double checked I had the must up to date version, the one you put up in July, or is there a newer one on the way? On page 73 from "Stay on the path on a fairly straight stretch untill you get to a T-junction at the end there is no sign of any markings left or right. I turned left as instructed to the road, again no markings, and going on to the right turn again no matkings. I followed the road instead of taking a wrong turn. I came out at the end of Lugar de Forte and turned right for the Hotel Vincente. I am not doing this to be pedantic, I just dont want anyone else who is tired and sore to have to face unnecessary extra Kms. Your guide is great, and I used it well, thanks. It is, as you say a lovely Camino, and particularly liked the first couple of days near the sea. The only thing I hadn't bargained for was several places were closed. I wanted to stay at the Meson Novo which is so highly recommended, but for me it was more Meson NoNo, no accommodation (closed) no food (Sunday?). I didn't book or try to book, but I guess in November on the ingles, its better to book ahead.
Anyway It was a lovely camino and I enjoyed my time seeing a new part of Galicia.

I can't imagine doing the whole Bruma to Santiago in one go! But then, I'm a bit of a snail, so 20 - 25 km is a perfect day for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't imagine doing the whole Bruma to Santiago in one go! But then, I'm a bit of a snail, so 20 - 25 km is a perfect day for me.
Even more of a snail at around 15-16kms a day - we took 3 days between Bruma and Santiago :).
I wish that when the Camino bypasses facilities (bars etc) that a system could show that they exist and how far off Camino they are. Maybe either red or other coloured arrows to distinguish them from the yellow direction signing. Then all would be happy, businesses and thirsty/hungry pilgrims too.

Hi Johnnie,
Sorry but I have double checked I had the must up to date version, the one you put up in July, or is there a newer one on the way? On page 73 from "Stay on the path on a fairly straight stretch untill you get to a T-junction at the end there is no sign of any markings left or right. I turned left as instructed to the road, again no markings, and going on to the right turn again no matkings. I followed the road instead of taking a wrong turn. I came out at the end of Lugar de Forte and turned right for the Hotel Vincente. I am not doing this to be pedantic, I just dont want anyone else who is tired and sore to have to face unnecessary extra Kms. Your guide is great, and I used it well, thanks. It is, as you say a lovely Camino, and particularly liked the first couple of days near the sea. The only thing I hadn't bargained for was several places were closed. I wanted to stay at the Meson Novo which is so highly recommended, but for me it was more Meson NoNo, no accommodation (closed) no food (Sunday?). I didn't book or try to book, but I guess in November on the ingles, its better to book ahead.
Anyway It was a lovely camino and I enjoyed my time seeing a new part of Galicia.
I guess you had problem at T-junction before Hotel Vicente and JW thought that was after the Hotel and crossing the road to the right you then come to another T-junction (by the factory) andf that's the spot with "arrows war". Left the arrows for the bar and to the right (shortly after that left on path) original Camino.

Must also admit I don't remember any T-junction between Sigueiro and Hotel Vicente without markings but I'm glad you did found your way :)

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back