• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buckle on shoulder strap uncomfortable - new bag or solution?

philo

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Hi,
Im looking for advice, I used this 30l bag on my camino.
(not naming brand or make because its a grand bag and I think I might be doing something wrong rather than the problem being the bag.)

It has a buckle at the end of the shoulder strap thats a little uncomfortable.
Just walking 5 / 8 km, take a break, bag off, is fine, but longer walk and at the end the day its noticeably uncomfortable and can dig in a little.

So the question is, time to get a new bag or anyone have a clever solution to help?

1685523302356.png

Thanks

Phil

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
(not naming brand or make because its a grand bag and I think I might be doing something wrong rather than the problem being the bag.)

Just walking 5 / 8 km, take a break, bag off, is fine, but longer walk and at the end the day its noticeably uncomfortable and can dig in a little.

So the question is, time to get a new bag or anyone have a clever solution to help?

View attachment 148245

Thanks

Phil
Is the hip belt sitting on your hips and sufficiently tight that it is taking virtually all the weight? If so perhaps loosen the shoulder straps; that should improve airflow between your back and the sack and stop (to some extent) the buckle digging in.

Hi Philo, well this is new, not heard of this one.
Good pics - so if the buckles are on the outside then your arms are catching them? If not, how do they dig in??

I see it is a 30 litre pack so is possible it is not long enough on your body. The 'centerline' (the middle) of the hipbelt should rest on the top edge of your hipbone and the pack adjusted from that starting point. Is that your fitting?
It is possible that the bag is too short in the body for this - if so, time for a different pack.

Also - I don't know if you are male or female but females have a different arm shape to males so if the buckle is catching your lower arms, well - in archery, for instance, females tend to have to wear an arm guard as the string catches the forearm when arrow is loosed, which doesn't happen with males - if you are female this may cause a problem with your lower arms rubbing the buckles.

Apart from making the lower arm sore this would drive me crazy! and I would change packs - but that is just me.

Is it a problem if you don't have the straps rolled up? Also, I wonder if that pack is the right size for you. I've had many packs of different styles and brands, and never had my shoulder straps cinched up so much that the buckle was that close to the straps lower attachment point. The buckle should lay pretty flat along your body. Find a good outfitter shop, take it in, and ask for help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could try cutting a piece of foam rubber and sliding it over the buckle, that might work. As the only way to adjust the length of the shoulder strap is that buckle at the bottom, it would be hard to adjust it in such a way that it doesn't rub.

Is the hip belt sitting on your hips and sufficiently tight that it is taking virtually all the weight? If so perhaps loosen the shoulder straps; that should improve airflow between your back and the sack and stop (to some extent) the buckle digging in.
Yeah tried that, still the same.
Hi Philo, well this is new, not heard of this one.
Good pics - so if the buckles are on the outside then your arms are catching them? If not, how do they dig in??

I see it is a 30 litre pack so is possible it is not long enough on your body. The 'centerline' (the middle) of the hipbelt should rest on the top edge of your hipbone and the pack adjusted from that starting point. Is that your fitting?
It is possible that the bag is too short in the body for this - if so, time for a different pack.

Also - I don't know if you are male or female but females have a different arm shape to males so if the buckle is catching your lower arms, well - in archery, for instance, females tend to have to wear an arm guard as the string catches the forearm when arrow is loosed, which doesn't happen with males - if you are female this may cause a problem with your lower arms rubbing the buckles.

Apart from making the lower arm sore this would drive me crazy! and I would change packs - but that is just me.
Hi David, Henrydog,
Thanks for replying, I updated my reply, its catching on the inside of my arm, Im male.

I can try your suggestion of the hipbelt and work back from there.

Is there a quick way to see if its not long enough?

Hi David, Henrydog,
Thanks for replying, I updated my reply, its catching on the inside of my arm, Im male.

With the hip belt sitting on the top of the hips the sternum strap (which connects the shoulder straps at the front) should be sitting comfortably around the middle of your rib cage. If it’s up near your throat the back-length is too short.

Dave Bugg’s detailed write-up may explain more:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi David, Henrydog,

Sure, you don't 'hang' a rucksack on the shoulders, you use your hip bone as the fixed foundations as it were. Cinch it in nice and firmly there, the hipbelt covering the top of the hip bone, not above it.
Then all the shoulder straps really do is to stop the pack bouncing around and falling backwards when you move. The weight has to be on the hips, not the shoulders, none on the shoulders.
So - when fitting a pack one loads the pack nice and full (in a shop take items off the shelves) and cinches to your hipbones ... then adjust from there.
Your photos shows the straps you have a problem with tightly cinched up - they normally aren't! Which suggests you have your pack much too high and therefore all the weight on your shoulders - not good.

So loosen those straps both sides, fit to your hipbones, cinch tight, then tighten those shoulder straps up slowly - properly fitted to your hips you then need to be able to get a finger thickness or so under the shoulder straps on top of your shoulders. If you cannot do that then your pack is too short for you. A good pack will have little 'lifter' straps at the shoulders of the packs to be able to tighten against your body on steep/rough terrain.

Measure your back for pack size - lean head forward and you will feel one prominent vertebrae just above your shoulder line. Measure from there, standing straight, back down to the top of your hipbone - that is your pack length, though I prefer an inch or so longer.

Worth going into a proper outdoor store and getting measured and fitted, is really horrible out there if you have the wrong pack - no joy. - and remember that some packs are really heavy and some light (go for light). I have always found that Decathlon packs are heavy and they only sell their own brand so stay away from them. Also worth trying on an Osprey such as the Talon 33 - now there is comfort!!

Last edited:
Sure, you don't 'hang' a rucksack on the shoulders, you use your hip bone as the fixed foundations as it were. Cinch it in nice and firmly there, the hipbelt covering the top of the hip bone, not above it.
Then all the shoulder straps really do is to stop the pack bouncing around and falling backwards when you move. The weight has to be on the hips, not the shoulders, none on the shoulders.
So - when fitting a pack one loads the pack nice and full (in a shop take items off the shelves) and cinches to your hipbones ... then adjust from there.
Your photos shows the straps you have a problem with tightly cinched up - they normally aren't! Which suggests you have your pack much too high and therefore all the weight on your shoulders - not good.

So loosen those straps both sides, fit to your hipbones, cinch tight, then tighten those shoulder straps up slowly - properly fitted to your hips you then need to be able to get a finger thickness or so under the shoulder straps on top of your shoulders. If you cannot do that then your pack is too short for you. A good pack will have little 'lifter' straps at the shoulders of the packs to be able to tighten against your body on steep/rough terrain.

Measure your back for pack size - lean head forward and you will feel one prominent vertebrae just above your shoulder line. Measure from there, standing straight, back down to the top of your hipbone - that is your pack length, though I prefer an inch or so longer.

Worth going into a proper outdoor store and getting measured and fitted, is really horrible out there if you have the wrong pack - no joy. - and remember that some packs are really heavy and some light (go for light). I have always found that Decathlon packs are heavy and they only sell their own brand so stay away from them. Also worth trying on an Osprey such as the Talon 33 - now there is comfort!!
Great, thank you so much.

Upgrade opportunity……new bag and check it’s the right size as it’s been said already small bags tend to need fitting carefully as often their length is shorter than your actual back length

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

View attachment 148245

Thanks

Phil
Hi Phil, I had a similar problem (not with the buckle, but the strap) and used a small car seat strap pad (for kids) to cover the area causing irritation. It worked like a charm! Since the buckle is low, this might work for you. Good luck on finding a solution!

Attachments

• EBE79875-2F5C-4795-BC21-C104A5A397AF.jpeg
    EBE79875-2F5C-4795-BC21-C104A5A397AF.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi,

View attachment 148245

Thanks

Phil
Have you tried one of those Velcro seatbelt covers? Always take a pair with me when I hike. Can get fancy sheepskin ones.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.