• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Budget Costco Jacket Found!

yesenia

Hi everyone!

I hope this is OK to post. Ive been searching for a while for a lightweight jacket for our Camino with my sister in May.
I originally bought a Columbia Fleece Jacket I liked with hood... once it got cold enough and I was able to try it, I found it really didn't keep the cold out (even for our mild California Cold)

Sunday I was at Costco and found this Mens Jacket which I admit the Medium (smallest size they carry) was a tad bit large for me, it was only $27 packable, warmer than the fleece and super light. Weight it at home at 12.8 Oz.

Just thought I'd share in case some of you are on a budget like me... :)

I realize if you are going in much colder weather it might not be enough, but for the end of May I think this is perfect and I can layer things underneath.

http://www.costco.com/Hawke-%26-Co....-Insulated-Jacket-Gray.product.100112415.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone!

I hope this is OK to post. Ive been searching for a while for a lightweight jacket for our Camino with my sister in May.
I originally bought a Columbia Fleece Jacket I liked with hood... once it got cold enough and I was able to try it, I found it really didn't keep the cold out (even for our mild California Cold)

Sunday I was at Costco and found this Mens Jacket which I admit the Medium (smallest size they carry) was a tad bit large for me, it was only $27 packable, warmer than the fleece and super light. Weight it at home at 12.8 Oz.

Just thought I'd share in case some of you are on a budget like me... :)

I realize if you are going in much colder weather it might not be enough, but for the end of May I think this is perfect and I can layer things underneath.

http://www.costco.com/Hawke-%26-Co.-Men's-Packable-Thermocore-Insulated-Jacket-Gray.product.100112415.html
Just a note from my experience - a fleece is intended to be a mid layer, that is, you need something wind/waterproof over it when it's cold or wet. Some brands are much better than others - and the one's you mentioned are not generally highly rated (not to demean any store or brand). Anyway, I'll be on the Camino Frances May/June to discuss further.

Thanks for the observation off trail , unfortunately some people's funds are limited, as are mine, thus the less expensive brands. I Would love to purchase a high end North Face or Patagonia jacket, but the truth is I don't have the money and even if I did living in California I would never use it again. I have to say the jacket I got from costco is amazingly warm for being so light and compact . I will take a long sleeve 1/2 zip top to layer underneath. Hope that is enough, because I'm limited in both weight I can carry and money

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@yesenia looks good to me. I find there is often no relationship between cost and quality - it's only marketing. Among my best Camino gear are merino t shirts from Aldi (a fraction of the price of the Icebreaker competition), cheap socks direct from a small manufacturer, and last week I bought a light long-sleeved shirt from Aldi that will be perfect to keep off the sun. And if I wanted hearing aids I'd definitely go to Costco!

Good find; a hood comes in handy, though. I have been on the Camino in May and a light windbreaker was enough. Misty rain is very common in May where you walk many kms on your poncho. So, having a lighter jacket prevents getting too hot underneath the poncho.

Looks good to me. I'm a big fan of fleece, but I do like that jacket, especially the way it packs up. It should work well for you. Price is right, too.
No need to spend a ton of money on equipment for the Camino. It's not like you are trudging up Mount Everest. Like I've said on here before, everything you need to walk a Camino can be bought at a Wal-Mart or similar store. A lot of times posters on this forum recommend very high priced equipment not realizing that a lot of people do the Camino on a strict budget. Besides, I'd rather spend the money I saved on food and such while in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
..... Among my best Camino gear are merino t shirts from Aldi (a fraction of the price of the Icebreaker competition)....
Good to know, Kanga, I'm flying back to the UK to see my mother & siblings at Christmas, so will check out the local Aldi shop.
Suzanne :)

Thanks everyone! Nice to know I made a good purchase :) its especially hard when you're on a budget.
@Kanga, I'm trying to find an inexpensive merino t shirt... Costco had them and when I went back they were out :( hopefully for black Friday or Cyber Monday :)
@Olivares, I loved the hood on the fleece jacket... but oh well. I guess you can't have it all :)
@Mark, I was really wanting fleece too! because it is so cozy, but this jacket, although it has a bit of a boxy fit being a men's jacket, won me over... and since its roomy, I can always layer up underneath it if I need to. BTW, I also prefer to spend my money of yummy Spanish food!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Buen Camino! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@yesenia looks good to me. I find there is often no relationship between cost and quality - it's only marketing. Among my best Camino gear are merino t shirts from Aldi (a fraction of the price of the Icebreaker competition), cheap socks direct from a small manufacturer, and last week I bought a light long-sleeved shirt from Aldi that will be perfect to keep off the sun. And if I wanted hearing aids I'd definitely go to Costco!

Kanga, do you mind if I ask which Aldi store you shop at in Sydney? Or if you know which ones sell clothing? We only have one Aldi here and they don't sell any clothes, unfortunately :( I did try looking on the website but to no avail. Looks like I might need to head to Sydney to buy from their range (if they have any in my size, lol!)

Kanga, do you mind if I ask which Aldi store you shop at in Sydney? Or if you know which ones sell clothing? We only have one Aldi here and they don't sell any clothes, unfortunately :( I did try looking on the website but to no avail. Looks like I might need to head to Sydney to buy from their range (if they have any in my size, lol!)

@CaminoCruiser Aldi does not "carry" a range of clothes at all. The business model is to make a huge order on a manufacturer, with very specific specifications, and to distribute those items to all its stores to go on sale as "special buys" every Saturday and Wednesday. There is usually a theme (camping equipment was just recently, including lightweight sleeping bags). I am on their email list or you can check the Aldi website each week, to see what special buys are listed for the following Saturday and Wednesday. We never know what it will be. It could be sports clothes, children's toys, computers, musical instruments - even wheelchairs and commodes one week! The best buys sell out, certainly within hours and sometimes within minutes, so if it is something I want (like the merino t-shirts, or a leather motor bike jacket for my husband) I'm on the doorstop at 8:30 am on the day. It's like the Boxing Day sales.

We shop at Thornleigh, but all stores have the same "special buys" on the same days. Occasionally our local store has sold out of something that we've found a few days later in another store, but that is just serendipity. I try not to be too much of a consumer, but I have been known to go in to buy vegetables and to come out with a camera...

It is worth checking out Costco too, if there is one near you. It does tend to carry a range of clothes, and sometimes extremely good quality (my Balmain friend described it as a cross between Bunnings, IKEA and David Jones).

Good luck!

@CaminoCruiser Aldi does not "carry" a range of clothes at all. The business model is to make a huge order on a manufacturer, with very specific specifications, and to distribute those items to all its stores to go on sale as "special buys" every Saturday and Wednesday. There is usually a theme (camping equipment was just recently, including lightweight sleeping bags). I am on their email list or you can check the Aldi website each week, to see what special buys are listed for the following Saturday and Wednesday. We never know what it will be. It could be sports clothes, children's toys, computers, musical instruments - even wheelchairs and commodes one week! The best buys sell out, certainly within hours and sometimes within minutes, so if it is something I want (like the merino t-shirts, or a leather motor bike jacket for my husband) I'm on the doorstop at 8:30 am on the day. It's like the Boxing Day sales.

We shop at Thornleigh, but all stores have the same "special buys" on the same days. Occasionally our local store has sold out of something that we've found a few days later in another store, but that is just serendipity. I try not to be too much of a consumer, but I have been known to go in to buy vegetables and to come out with a camera...

It is worth checking out Costco too, if there is one near you. It does tend to carry a range of clothes, and sometimes extremely good quality (my Balmain friend described it as a cross between Bunnings, IKEA and David Jones).

Good luck!

Thank you Kanga, at least now I know what to do regarding the "special buys". No wonder I was puzzled when I went to my local Aldi! All I saw were televisions which people were almost killing each other to grab before they sold out. I will look into Costco as well! I appreciate your help :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a quick thought, if you don't have a hood (i didn't either), try and get a cheap buff from somewhere... It keeps the cold out, you can wear it in many ways. another tip I picked up from this forum at some stage, somewhere :)

Don't underestimate what you can find at Costco. I just got back from a fairly rugged trek in Nepal where I used a Costco merino shirt, Costco down vest, Costco hiking poles, Costco headlamp, Costco rain pants., Costco socks.

These items cost a fraction of gear I have from the likes of Patagonia, Black Diamond, Mont Bell and Petzl. In some cases I brought them to give away at the end of the trip, some I just prefer the Costco item, but everything I brought I trusted entirely and worked great.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.