• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Budget for 2022

camino?camiYES

Time of past OR future Camino
2019-October-Flying to Bilbao on the 11th Oct -travelling to St Jean on the 12th and walking 13th on
Hi all, when I did the first 2 weeks of the Camino Frances in 2019 (Sjpp to Roncesvalles) I budgeted 30-35 Euros a day with lodgings/meals.
As the world is now slightly more expensive in general, I wondered what the low end budgeters currently on the trail are working with?
Cost isnt an issue, but a slight personal challenge I gave myself for the Camino was to do the actual train (not including getting to and from) as frugally as possible...is 35 per day still achievable...?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
I think you can still get by with this amount. We are on the Camino now and finding that while prices are higher for groceries, you can still manage on bocadillos, olives, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and nuts/trail mix. If you enjoy social dining, it will be more difficult eating out on a budget. Many stores now offer prepared salads, roasted whole and half chickens that you could buy to share in a small group at albergues with kitchens. We not seeing as many 'pilgrim meal' offers where we are.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In reply to your specific question: yes

Have a look at this thread:. The poster walked (virtually ran, compared to me) the full CF with remarkably little cost and no drama; although his diet and his associate’s alcohol consumption are not to be recommended.

If you can do it cheaper than @NobleHiker I’ll buy you a pint - but you’ll have to collect it.
Brilliant stuff! I think that pint is safe pal 🤣

I think you can still get by with this amount. We are on the Camino now and finding that while prices are higher for groceries, you can still manage on bocadillos, olives, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and nuts/trail mix. If you enjoy social dining, it will be more difficult eating out on a budget. Many stores now offer prepared salads, roasted whole and half chickens that you could buy to share in a small group at albergues with kitchens. We not seeing as many 'pilgrim meal' offers where we are.
Thanks for your reply. Olives can get in the bin but i can cope on the rest of those options 🙂 i did greatly enjoy the social dining last time but i suppose that will depend on who I meet on the way!
BUEN CAMINO

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had quite a few communal meals.
Albergue Karma in Sansol, made a fantastic meal for us for 8€ and a single bed there was only 6€.
Other places may have upped their meal to 11 or 12€, but still a bargain. Rosalia in Castrojeriz, Meeting Point in Hornillos, Oasis Trails in Villamajor Monjardin, Parada Vitoria in Viloria de Rioja made a fabulous paella, Reboleira in Fonfria had one of my top meals for 11€ - traditional Celtic foods served in a Celtic house, Albergue El Serbal y la Luna in Pieros had a decent veg meal and some of the most comfortable beds on the Camino for 10€.
I don't think I stayed under the average of 35€ per day, but maybe came close? I splurged on beds quite a few time, staying in places that had the curtained beds, or places that had breakfast.

You can still eat together with others. We just bought groceries to make supper (macaroni and cheese plus some fruit), breakfast(yogurt), sandwich stuff for tomorrow, and a bottle of wine for 14 euros. That's 3 meals for the two of us and we will invite others to dine with us tonight here at the albergue. Our albergue is 10 euros. We had a menu of the day hot lunch with three courses ith bread,, water, wine,, and a coffee afterwards for 13 euros each.

We not seeing as many 'pilgrim meal' offers where we are.

Just got back from the Norte and I "think" I may have seen Pilgrims meals offer only twice in 43 days. Things have certainly changed in the last 10 years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anyone wondering what would be a comfortable minimum for daily spending (getting food from shop, supermarkets, and sleeping in the cheaper but still nice albergues) is around €15-20.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.