• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Budget in 2017

Jaco Klynsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk in April 2017
Hi,

Most of the posts I find on budget are from a few years ago. What is a realistic daily budget?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the forum @Jaco Klynsmith ;-)

It really depends on how much luxury you want, but as a rule of thumb here some typical daily costs:

Accommodation: Donativo (which doesn't mean free!) to 8-10 Euro for public albergues, up to 15 Euro for private albergues, private rooms can be found from 20-25 Euro upwards.

Meals: from 10-12 Euro (menu del dia/peregrino), more for a la carte food, less if you prepare your own food and don't eat out.

That are the two main ones, add to that costs of treats (cafe con leche, vino, tapas) and the occasional entrance ticket for a museum or similar.

So, I would say - if you self-cater, stay only in the cheapest albergue and severely restrict your treats you could get by with 25 Euro/day or even less.

Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think I add, other new pilgrims might be interested in the same topic my 5-er rule for donativo albergues:

If you can give 5 Euro for each of the following: place to sleep, place to wash yourself and your clothes, dinner, breakfast and add any small change that weighs heavily in your wallet anyway ;-)

Obviously, you can give more, even much more!, if you have the means and if you can't give much, or anything at all, just 'pay' with a smile and some help in cleaning etc.

Buen Camino, SY

Hi,

Most of the posts I find on budget are from a few years ago. What is a realistic daily budget?
I do not know if Windhoek is a big city-never been there-but last May I met a guy from Windhoek and his wife who have a butcher's shop there and is from Swedish origen-a tall blond guy.
I met him last May at the privat albergue casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães Portugal and he definitively can tell you about the camino and the budgets.
In 2015 we walked our last camino and we had an average of 50€ a day for my wife and myself.
But most of the time we chose for hostals and hotels .
Buen camino

I had a truly wonderful Camino last year with a strict 5€/day budget. Of course, mostly basics: sleeping outside, in donativos (where I always put 5€) and in 5€-tops albergues; eating simple self-cooked food. I still had occasional "commercial" treats (I mean the ones you have to pay for), like tapas, coffee (con hielo for me!) or else.

Like SYates said, it's all about one's "luxury" expectation :) The more you have, the more you spend. I believe one can manage a fine, happy and comfortable Camino from ~10€/day...
Buen Camino!

full

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ask for your passada as you go through each town, then sleep under the stars and you can do it for nothing :)

realistically, around 20-30 euros/day staying at albergues (that's the cafés and beers included). having your own shower and room would put you at around 40-50 euros/day (if travelling with someone willing to share a room, this option can be almost as cheap as the albergues). splurge at a nice B&B or hotel and you are looking at +70 a day.

but no matter what you do, you won't be paying for transport!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Jimmy Smith
Here are quick answers to your questions.
1. Did you carry a tent?
2. I take it you mostly slept outside.
3. What weight in food did you start out with
4. and was that extra to your E5 budget,.
5. Which Camino did you do?
6.What was your pack weight?
7. These are the sorts of hints and tips I look for.
8. Thank you.
1. No, a tarp+strings+pegs (+my walking sticks). Basic model, ~1kg -> which is very heavy for a tarp... Also was my "poncho" -> great one!!!
2. In France, yes (20 nights outside out of 31). In Spain, no (5/37). Not counting Santiago.
3. Don't remember exactly, but ~1kg of various things + 1kg of oat flakes (I do remember that one!)
4. Apart transportation to starting point/back home + albergue /post cards/a shirt in Santiago, all was included in the 5€/day budget. Extra within the budget would be unnecessary/avoidable/comfort stuffs, like transportation through big cities/night in albergue when pouring rain or sick/chocolate, fruit juice, empanadas and other "fancy" edible treats/eating out once or twice/drinks in bars: so many coffees!/...
5. The Arles route in France, then the C. Aragones and Frances. 2 months 1/2
6. ~10kg (12 with the food at the beginning ;) )
7. I may open a thread about this experience...
8. You're welcome! :)

Bonus: 3 capital things when planning such a low-budget trip! :)
1) DON'T go expecting people to provide for you and pay your journey (giving-receiving is a extremely tricky topic, especially when money in involved. I won't start it here)
2) DO know what kind of journey you're signing up for. No private accommodation or Menu del Peregrino down this route!
3) Expect awe and admiration as well as incomprehension, disgust, suspicion and anger. In some people's minds, the Camino sometimes seems to be reserved to "clean" pilgrims (that is to say, with enough money to at least sleep in public albergue)... Not talking about anyone in particular or criticizing "wealthy" pilgrims. Just sharing personal experience and making a blank observation. Again, we're talking about money here and even worse, having few money and still doing amazing journeys. Like some say, it's easier to talk about sex than money!

Buen Camino!

full

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back