• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Budgeting info for Solo Pilgrim?

A Walking Stick

Time of past OR future Camino
Mid-September, 2015
This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I missed a section here devoted to this topic, I did look around but couldn't find one.

I am ready to plan my Camino Frances and the first thing I need to do is work up a estimated cost for the trip. If there is not already a section of this forum discussing this, can anyone either share budget estimates or a link maybe to another site on the web that could help?

Edited to add: I'm an experienced ultralight backpacker with over 1500 miles of solo hiking under my boots. I have a ridiculously light tent (weighs only 11 ounces) and will be bringing that to a) get some solitude some nights b) save money by occasionally camping at albergues which allow it.

I would also prefer to cook my own meals or just make a sandwich for supper most nights and only eat at restaurants maybe once a week, again to save money. I do like wine though, lol.

Thanks in advance

A Walking Stick

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are my threads on the subject, but ball park plan between 20 and 30€ a day, depending on the alberuges you will pick, if you will eat in bars and restaurants or cook pasta nightly, and finally the number of cafe con leches you will treat yourself to and glasses of red wine.

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I missed a section here devoted to this topic, I did look around but couldn't find one.

I am ready to plan my Camino Frances and the first thing I need to do is work up a estimated cost for the trip. If there is not already a section of this forum discussing this, can anyone either share budget estimates or a link maybe to another site on the web that could help?

Thanks in advance

A Walking Stick

I averaged 50 euro per day from the time I arrived at Biarritz to the time I boarded a plane in Madrid. So that includes a couple of nights at hotels, trains and buses at start and end, a new pair of walking shoes, mailing stuff home, and sundry other items. When I was walking I estimated I was spending 30 - 35 euro per day, including albergue accommodation, supper was usually menu peregrino, breakfast and lunch materials, and when the weather got colder I was buying a hot sandwich and tea.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I averaged 50 euro per day from the time I arrived at Biarritz to the time I boarded a plane in Madrid. So that includes a couple of nights at hotels, trains and buses at start and end, a new pair of walking shoes, mailing stuff home, and sundry other items. When I was walking I estimated I was spending 30 - 35 euro per day, including albergue accommodation, supper was usually menu peregrino, breakfast and lunch materials, and when the weather got colder I was buying a hot sandwich and tea.

@whariwharangi sums it up well.

That reflects a modestly frugal but relaxed approach. It could be done for less if you are disciplined and nothing unexpected happens, but it is wise to have a reserve in case you need it. You'll also need to take into account your transportation needs before and after the walking.

Welcome to the forum A Walking Stick, I have spoken to a few pilgrims who walked the CF on €20 - €30 per day but like the others above my spend was about €50 + per day. I used private albergues and sometimes hostals along the way, I did bring a tent but sent it home from St Jean as the weather was very wet so I made a snap decision to lighten the pack.
Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Edited to add: I'm an experienced ultralight backpacker with over 1500 miles of solo hiking under my boots. I have a ridiculously light tent (weighs only 11 ounces) and will be bringing that to a) get some solitude some nights b) save money by occasionally camping at albergues which allow it.

I would also prefer to cook my own meals or just make a sandwich for supper most nights and only eat at restaurants maybe once a week, again to save money. I do like wine though, lol.

Thanks in advance

A Walking Stick
Hello and welcome, I walked for 37 day's and I spend about € 1400,00 . I stayed only 2 nights in a hostel the rest in albergues.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, each person has a different Camino and as you have seen, there are some who spend 50 or so euros a day but this isn't necessary.
There can be a great and intense joy in living a low budget Camino. It isn't necessary to eat in restaurants or buy coffees all day, in fact, quite the opposite.
You are an experienced light walker so you know all this, especially as you are happy to sleep under the stars - is there anything more wonderful?
Carry your own day by day food stocks and if you are happy with the simple life, bread cheese and sausage for instance, with simple refugio cooked pasta in the evenings, then your daily costs will only be the refugio and the food you carry. Can easily be done for less than 20€ a day, much much less.
Personally I don't see the problem with eating the same food every day for a month, food is about hunger after all, not sensuality.
Budget 20, live simply, and you will have cash left over to accept the occasional invitation to a restaurant evening meal with other pilgrims (and some Rioja too!)

Buen Camino.

I was on the Camino recently and for one week was on my own. I had booked previously because my granddaughter was with me and continued to use those private ablergues that I had already booked into after I had brought her home because of homesickness. That week I averaged €35 euro a day not counting journeys to and from home. I ate out all the time. I had found in previous years that it is awkward trying to cook for only one. You either end up leaving packs of food behind or carrying extra weight.

My Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago three years ago was quite cheap. In the 25 days I spent around 600 Euros for accommodation and food. In average 25 Eur per day without excessive savings. It all depends on you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi A Walking Stick! I am on the Camino Frances now - arriving to Finisterre tomorrow. I have walked from Sjpp and on budget ( especially since i live in east europe, and west europe prices are high for me) i managed most days to spend between 15-20 euros. This means staying in municipal albergues, eating as you mentioned. Also a coffee a day , and a tortilla here and there, sometimes a beer, but best is to share a bottle of vine with somone :). At the beginning prices for albergues are bit more expensive, cheapest beein 10€ , but after pamplona, price for municipal alberge was generally 5€. Sometimes you can stay in donativos, they usually offer accomodation, comunal dinner and breakfast for donation. These places are the best, not only because you can spend less, but tne spirit is absolutely awsome, and i had unforgetabble time in those places.
So yeah, truly budget, 5€ accomodation, 10€ food, and thats if you do have that morning coffee.
Buen Camino!

I've gotten by quite comfortably on €20-30 per day.
Especially if you are going to tent.
However, you may want to reconsider, depending on the time of year you are going.
Albergues are inexpensive and if you plan to hit the parochials, they are donativo (I usually leave €5-8 depending on if they feed me or not)
Do you mind sharing which tent you carry?

You could start with the idea of having a budget of 1 Euro for each kilometer you walk. It means aprox. 900-1000 Euros for the entire Camino. As you will see, some days you will walk ~ 20-30 km and other days you will make around 40 km. It doesn't mean that you have to spend those 40 Euros when you know you can manage the day with 15 or 20. It means you are going to be prepared for almost everything in terms of costs.
Another way of estimate your costs is to plan a budget for a week, not for a day. Around 200 Euros per week, I would say, is going to work for you, given the information you shared with us.
A final thing: keep in mind that you need your pilgrim passport stamped at every stop, even if you are going to sleep in a tent. You will want/ need to sleep (and wash) in albergues too, and they won't let you in without a valid properly stamped passport.
Ultreya!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You could start with the idea of having a budget of 1 Euro for each kilometer you walk. It means aprox. 900-1000 Euros for the entire Camino. As you will see, some days you will walk ~ 20-30 km and other days you will make around 40 km. It doesn't mean that you have to spend those 40 Euros when you know you can manage the day with 15 or 20. It means you are going to be prepared for almost everything in terms of costs.
Another way of estimate your costs is to plan a budget for a week, not for a day. Around 200 Euros per week, I would say, is going to work for you, given the information you shared with us.
A final thing: keep in mind that you need your pilgrim passport stamped at every stop, even if you are going to sleep in a tent. You will want/ need to sleep (and wash) in albergues too, and they won't let you in without a valid properly stamped passport.
Ultreya!

Hey! That is a really neat way of calculating the budget, really neat.. Only difference I would make is to calculate in miles rather than kilometres . I like it!

Thank you, David! I was only thinking to be as helpful as possible.
I think in kilometers :) One mile is about 1,6 km, so we could say 1,6 Euros per mile :)

Ah, but I am a poor man, thinking 1€ per mile! Great way of doing it, the further you walk the more you treat yourself - result!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That's one austere Camino, David. However I sense you're being slightly 'Tongue-in-cheek'. It's a great concept though. Extra long walk, extra nice meal ... And vino tinto of course! As you say, RESULT.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.