• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buen Camino

Jacqui B

Hello

after reading several books on the camino im planning the pilgrimage.
Pilgrims, woudl you be so kind to advise on the following

I cant do the alburges very night so woudl want to mix it up with accom where i had own ensuite every now and then. Can you just wing it with the accom , because im not sure how slow i will be? is accom easy to find ?

what would the pilgrimage be like in late Oct /Nov?

From australia what is the best way to get to St Jean Pied de Port? and whats the best way to get form Santiago to Paris?

Many thanks
Jacqui B

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
HI jacqui,
I also live in Australia, and I walked the Camino Frances last Sept and Oct, so I can answer many of your questions.
Firstly, are you aware of the many people who live in Australia who meet on a regular basis, consisting of those who have walked many of the Caminos, and those who wish to walk. So go to http://www.csj.org.uk, and click on 'Other English Language Associations'. This will take you to the details of our meetings in Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney. In Sydney we meet every month to exchange information and ideas.
When I walked the Camino last year I flew to London by Malaysian Airlines, arriving about 6.30am at Heathrow. This will give you enough time to get to Stanstead Airport on the other side of London for the flight departing about 12.30 by Ryanair for Biarritz, arriving there about 3pm local time. From there I shared a taxi to St Jean with one other pilgrim - total for both of us $60 for 1 hour ride. If not a taxi, take the airport bus to Bayonne and the railway station there. There should be a train to get you to St Jean about 7.30. (Train timetable for Oct is not available yet, but try http://www.raileurope.com.au). I stayed at a private refugio L'Esprit de Chemin in St Jean for 2 nights for 31 euros per night including dinner, bed and breakfast. You have to book in advance and they speak English and are very friendly (http://www.espritduchemin.org or email info@espritdu chemin.org). I also broke the walk over the Pyrenees by staying at Orisson (8 steep kms from St Jean and 17 kms from Roncevalles (refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr). It is essential to make bookings for these two places. This year I am flying to Paris, but I know there are TGV express trains from Paris CDG airport to Bayonne.
I did not make any accomodation bookings after Orisson and had no problems. Mainly I stayed in albergues, but about once a week and also at Santiago I stayed in pensions, again no bookings and no problems.
In October the weather started to become cold, especially at night and at altitude (Rabanal and O'Cebriero). I took a lightweight sleeping bag which was plenty warm enough. I left Finisterre on 30 Oct.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
For me, the Camino was such an amazing experience that I am returning in September this year.
Buen Camino.
David

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi jacqui,
I'll reaffirm what camino-david said, you won't have problems finding a place to stay, I walked last year during the Holy year from May 22 to June 23 and didn't have a problem, the only place I had reservations were in St Jean and Orisson, for the most part I stayed in alburgues but did upgrade a few times, so Pamplona, Longrono, Estella, Burgos, Leon, Sarria, Ponferrada, Astorga are fairly large towns so the opportunity to upgrade is really good there, the only time it became a concern was in the last 100 km because a lot of Spaniards were walking to earn their Compostela, and even then it wasn't a problem. There are more and more private alburgues opening up, they are new and have good aminities, they only cost a euro or two more than the municipal or church alburgues, usually about 7 to 10m euros. I highly recommend you taking the opportunity to meet up with the groups near where you live, there is nothing more valuable than getting face to face information from the people that have walked.

There are three ways to the Camino Frances. London, Paris and Madrid.Don't fly to Barcelona!If you fly into London, catch a flight with (Ryanair from Stansted) or (Easyjet from Gatwick) to Bairritz France. From Bairritz Airport you catch the bus to Bayonne railway station and then catch the local train to St Jean Pied Du Port.
From Paris you can fly to Bairritz or take the TGV train to Bayonne, then the train to St Jean
From Madrid you can fly or get the train (train is 3 hours) or coach to Pamplona, and then either a bus or taxi to Roncesvalles. From Roncesvalles you get a taxi over the peaks down to St Jean.
Ultreya,
Barry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be flying from Santiago to Paris. Bought my ticket through Expedia; total cost, 61 CAD! Booked a room near Charles-de-Gaulle as I am flying back to Canada the next day and my room cost 49 $ (http://www.accorhotels.com/fr/hotel-350 ... ndex.shtml) . I didn't see myself going back to Bordeaux by taking 3 different trains, maybe missing a connection, etc. All the stress after 35 days of introspection seemed cruel. 90-minutes flight out of Santiago, a good night sleep and then, home. I'll get enough stress when I go back to work 2 days later!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back