• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buff brand vs knock off?

nangiakki

Time of past OR future Camino
hopefully - Northern Route/Primitivo (2015)
Hi - I have seen there are lots of buff fans here so I went to look online. There are alot of buff style items out there but is it better to go with the actual Buff brand?
Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a buff from a 'China' store that cost a couple of dollars and wore it every day on the Camino. It still looks as good as new. I can't see any advantage in paying top dollar for a brand named one.

They are a very simple piece of clothing. Get the very thin one for sunburn protection/xtra warmth during summer walking, or a thicker one for colder conditions.
They generally don't get a large amount of use so quality/price are very secondary considerations.
Regds
Gerard

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So many uses for a buff on camino and I'd never go without one again. Bought mine a few years ago but the Buff brand was too tight for my head. Maybe there are more options now.

I like the sound of your merino wool buff, C clearly.

One of the main considerations about the Buff is that it is seamless. This is difficult to do without special equipment. Many weavers can make a length of fabric on an average loom that can be sewn together to make a circle. Or buy a couple of yards of fabric from the store and serge them together to make a loop. Not difficult at all. Cost is minimal. It's the seamlessness that is special. If you can live with the seam, you can make a Buff-like scarf for pennies on a dollar.

I love my blood-red merino wool buff, from the original Buff. I also have a Camino collection buff, with the appearance of a well-stamped credential :)

I wear my buffs for everything, from working outside and keeping the hair out of my eyes, to a dust mask, to a convertible head cover. I'm not sure that the knock offs are as good, but why not try? I'm all about saving money.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So many uses for a buff on camino and I'd never go without one again. Bought mine a few years ago but the Buff brand was too tight for my head. Maybe there are more options now.

I like the sound of your merino wool buff, C clearly.
I have the same problem with size. Buff has come out with a large. Bought one and it solved the problem. I used the smaller one this winter around my neck for warmth.

Great suggestions about making your own. Maybe a french seam would be the way to go. Need to check Pinterest. Bet there will be someone who's posted diy instructions for making a buff.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.