• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Buff" question for native English speakers

It is my belief (correct me if I'm wrong) that you cannot trademark everyday common words.
I think Microsoft would disagree. "Windows" is a fairly common word. Most of us have a number of windows in our dwelling places and use the word commonly to describe them. Yet Microsoft continues to claim the trademark. Similarly, "wedge" is a fairly common word and, if you do a Google search on "wedge trademark", you will see it has also been trademarked. Trademark protection, however, doesn't cover words when used in their everyday common uses. So Microsoft cannot stop you from using "windows" to describe the panes of glass that let you see through walls and doors, just from using the word to describe a computer operating system. The Original Buff can't stop us from using the word to describe muscular people, just from using it to describe a tubular scarf.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola all,

I have a strange question.... it is regarding the word "Buff". What I mean is the clothing that one puts over ones head, like a scarf, but sown into a circle. Many of you have used it on the Camino I am sure.

I sell them on my store, but today got a message from a representative of the "Original Buff" company saying that I could not use the word buff to describe any product that is not made by them. That they had registered it as a trademark.

If this is the case (I need to look this up, is there a way to do this?), what could I use as a description for this piece of clothing? I thought it was "Buff"... much like t-shirt is a t-shirt. Since English is not my first language, I ask here.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Actually, the word is trademarked. "Buff" is a brand of a piece of cloth, typically a stretchable, wicking material, that has many uses. Here is a photo of mine. The R in a circle means it is a trademark registered with the US Patent & Trademark office.

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 4
I had never heard the word "buff" used to describe neck clothing until that Spanish company came along. If it is true that they created this unique usage, maybe they can copyright it. If they tried to copyright the name "Buff" for a polishing cloth, (to "buff" shoes, for example) it could be different.

I favour the term "neckwear."
They can trademark it but not copyright it. Copyright is a completely different set of intellectual property legislation (as is patent law). :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It isnt a bandana, clearly not ... so not wise to name it something it isnt. Ditto with some of the other names.

I have one .... a camino one, which I wore a lot.

All of my friends referrred to it as a snood. My hiking friends used the word 'buff' as they knew the Proper Noun used for the brand-name.
Interesting. When I think of a snood I think of something with a very loose weave - completely unlike the Buff fabric. I guess this is a case of regional variation in English dialect.

Only by those who wear them on their neck, which not everyone does.
I've just realised that I don't call it anything in any language I use. When I look for it, I call it - in my head - "the black thing that I must not forget to pack into my backpack". I think when I bought it it was still quite a novelty in outdoor shops and it didn't have a "common" name then. 🙃

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Buff was very popular on the American TV show survivor. Each team had them in a unique color and they wore them in many ways. I knew of Buff branded products for at least 20 years. Increasingly any head tubes are called buffs.

I like Camino Neck Gaiter better than warmer. When walking the Camino in summer it actually kept me cool wearing it around my neck and helped prevent sunburn. I typically buy one and cut it in half because for me it’s a lot of fabric.
Also, around the neck it helps catch sweat and I used it to dry my face, so it saved on tissues and was easily washed. Good luck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2018 Camino Ingles . . . er I've actually stopped using the Buffs, a wetted cotton bandana fits under my Tilley hat much better
That's a lovely collection and surprised to hear you've opted for wetted bandana, I too have a Tilley and I wet the insert pad which I believe is a flotation device but only found this out as pointed out by another forum member. On a hot day I would put mine in the freezer the night before walking or submerge it in a stream or fountain. I was planning to purchase a Cabuff this year as a neck protection from sun although Tilley has a lovely wide brim 🤠

Last edited:
The words neck warmer describe the technology not the brand or trademark, use the descriptive “neck warmer” and don’t worry about trademark infringement. Just because someone uses the words in the internet or as an URL does not mean it is trademarked. Neck Warmer, there you go!!

I like the word "bandana." Conjures up the concept of being outdoors, and a free-spirit, at least I believe, in American english. How about "Camino Infinity Bandana."

I second Elle's suggestion. Everyone knows the purposed of a bandana - mostly used outside on the neck or head for relief from sun/cold, and the word "infinity" is descriptive of its design. Infinity scarves are very popular so I'm guessing that most people will instantly know what you're talking about.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Buff was very popular on the American TV show survivor. Each team had them in a unique color and they wore them in many ways. I knew of Buff branded products for at least 20 years. Increasingly any head tubes are called buffs.
Yes, just like most people ask for a Kleenex, not a facial tissue. But if I started a company selling Trecile's Tissue I couldn't advertise them as Kleenexes, I would have to refer to them as facial tissues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
looks like it is a generic and in much to general use and with variable meanings to be trade-marked to me: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/buff

I guess there was no one around with sufficient interest to challenge the original trade-mark application though it probably should have been rejected. Otherwise some bugger will eventually TM shoes, boots and underpants.

Take the Capitalisation out or transliterate to "boeuf" ;)
The venerable Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham tried to trademark "Posh" but Peterborough United objected!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am changing everything to "Camino Neck Warmers"... that should do it..
Or Camino neck coolers! That's what I use mine for. 🙂

A ‘Buffer’ as that is what is...a buffer (protection) from weather. Or to similar? I’m at home in Australia and ironically was just given a really good one sold at The Big Red Bash concert in the outback. And they call it a buff I believe!

From Big Red Bash website....

Clothing

Protection from the elements
Hat, sunglasses
Head net/fly net
Lightweight scarf or ‘Buff’ .. to cover your face if it’s dusty. (You can buy a Big Red Bash buff at the Merchandise Tent for $12)
Rain Jacket / umbrella / windproof/waterproof jacket

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola all,

I have a strange question.... it is regarding the word "Buff". What I mean is the clothing that one puts over ones head, like a scarf, but sown into a circle. Many of you have used it on the Camino I am sure.

I sell them on my store, but today got a message from a representative of the "Original Buff" company saying that I could not use the word buff to describe any product that is not made by them. That they had registered it as a trademark.

If this is the case (I need to look this up, is there a way to do this?), what could I use as a description for this piece of clothing? I thought it was "Buff"... much like t-shirt is a t-shirt. Since English is not my first language, I ask here.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
I wonder if you called these items 'Buffffs' would the original company have grounds to complain? There's an energy drink company who claim to give you 'wiiings' but never heard of anyone receiving 'wings' from them.

Last edited:
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar

Hola Ivar - my "gut reaction" is that this company is (to use an Australian expression) "trying one on". In other words they are trying to "bluff" you into buying their Buffs, rather than the ones you are selling made in Spain of elsewhere.
My dictionary tells my that the word originates from a piece of clothing made from Buffalo (Nth American Biason) skin. Dr Google comes up with a similar explanation.
At worst you may not be able to sell your "buffs"in the US (I am assuming that this was an American company), but otherwise I would disregard it. Cheers

Ivar, the tone of their letter as included in your original post does not sound threatening. Perhaps you could give them details of what you sell and how the proceeds are used and ask if there is any sort of arrangement that could be agreed upon for you to continue using the word. That may include referring to their company or having them make the buff if the price is right?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
These posts worry me that following this advice would put @ivar in a difficult legal position. Like medical advice, there is a time to consult appropriately qualified experts, and this might be it.

Hola Ivar - my "gut reaction" is that this company is (to use an Australian expression) "trying one on". In other words they are trying to "bluff" you into buying their Buffs, rather than the ones you are selling made in Spain of elsewhere.
My dictionary tells my that the word originates from a piece of clothing made from Buffalo (Nth American Biason) skin. Dr Google comes up with a similar explanation.
At worst you may not be able to sell your "buffs"in the US (I am assuming that this was an American company), but otherwise I would disregard it. Cheers

Ivar, the tone of their letter as included in your original post does not sound threatening. Perhaps you could give them details of what you sell and how the proceeds are used and ask if there is any sort of arrangement that could be agreed upon for you to continue using the word. That may include referring to their company or having them make the buff if the price is right?

@Saint Mike II, @Poppy-Pete and others who don't want to read 132 messages before they comment, here's a short summary:
  • Ivar decided to use the term "neck warmers" and changed the text in the forum shop many messages ago.
  • Buff is a Spanish company (full company name: Original Buff SA).
  • EU law on trademarks apply: forum shop and Buff company operate in Spain.
  • The word Buff for product and company was created by Joan Rojas and he worked in his family's textile business near Barcelona. It is not likely that he was aware of meaning and origin of this word in English or other languages.
  • There are several "Original Buff" neck warmers on sale in the forum shop. The ones made by the Buff company are described with the words "Original Buff" and "BUFF®" in the forum shop and the ones made by other companies are merely described as "neck warmers" now.
  • The letter R in a circle after the name BUFF indicates that it is a registered trademark. The Buff company registered it in Alicante/Spain where the European Union Intellectual Property Office happens to be located.
Just have a look for yourselves in the forum shop, people: pictures, text, video for BUFF® headgear and it's On Sale! Don't wait too long, there are still a few left in stock!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The letter R in a circle after the name BUFF indicates that this is a registered trademark. The Buff company registered it in Alicante/Spain where the European Union Intellectual Property Office happens to be located.
Buff and the Buff logos are held as trademarks by Original Buff, SA in both Australia and the USA. I presume that Original Buff SA has protection for these marks in other places as well.

The thought occurs that our local, county regiment (the Royal East Kent Regiment) have been known as "The Buffs" since 1751 (yes, I looked it up). Perhaps they should take action against these johnny-come-lately clothing manufacturers?
On that point I bow out of the discussion ;)

The thought occurs that our local, county regiment (the Royal East Kent Regiment) have been known as "The Buffs" since 1751 (yes, I looked it up). Perhaps they should take action against these johnny-come-lately clothing manufacturers?
On that point I bow out of the discussion ;)
Does it still exist as a separate and identifiable regiment, or has it gone the way of so many of those wonderful county regiments and been amalgamated out of existence?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all. I have renamed them Camino Neck Warmers and will move on... thank you all for all your input!
@ivar would this now be a good time to close off this thread before another debate centres around the merits of your chosen description 'neck warmers' for example some might be of the opinion that this name suggests a garment that provides insulation to the neck and head area whereas the key feature and benefit from Camino customer point of view in the main is arguably to protect the back of neck and head from the sun and act as a cooling aid after garment is submerged in water. This is a debate I for one do not want to get embroiled in 😉 as I'm a Tilley fan, keep up the good work 🙏🤠

Last edited:
Not sure whether EUIPO checked the name of a county regiment in England but they may have checked this digestive bitter from Luxemburg, named after the family who produces it, when they granted trademark protection to the headgear company:

1565435261636.png

The word Buff made it into a Luxembourg dictionary and even into a local saying: Buff verdreift de Suff (Buff drives away the after effects of too much alcohol drinking). Neck warmers can't do that!

Last edited:
I’m sure you have more pressing things to attend to than a word search or legalities, so I’m with you, just finding an alternate term. I like your “ Camino neck warmers” but as one who walked Camino in July and August, I’d run screaming from the word “warmers” lol. How about Camino Wraps

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
“Buff” has become a “common” noun.

A common noun is an item that’s also a trademark but used by many to describe something.

For instance a Jeep. Jeep is a car company. However, when I use the word jeep I am describing a certain type of car.

I am fairly certain you can use the word to sell the item without trademark infringement.
Buff is a trademark and yes you can be sued. You’re correct that somethings have become such a common generic word that they are no longer protected, like trampoline, but buff is not one of them. The company reached out to you so you are wise to not use that word.

Those are some very nice "Solar Blocking / Heat Retention Cylindrical Neck Apparatus" in your store. I especially like the ones with the images of the stamps. I'm going to get one for my wife.

This is the second time this week buff has shown its face, the first was about sleeping and wether you sleep in the buff. For those not knowing that's naked. As a name for headgear well that's new to me.

Hi Ivar,

You are reselling these “things” right?

You purchased them from another company?

You should use the name and description from the company you purchased them from and stay away from anything else.

In the US, this will more likely keep you out of trouble.

IMHO anyway. All this discussion is great though.

I know them as neck tubes or neck warmers depending on material made from.
They can be warn as a snood, bandanna, pirate sock, balaclava etc.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
I’ll call bluff 😂😂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Be careful if you advertise anything with scotch tape...:rolleyes:. Perhaps if you don't capitalize the word, it does make a difference. Meanwhile I'd agree with "neck gaiter".

I have an original Buff from the company Buff and I have a neck warmer thingy from another company. The fact that Buff would make a big deal about this really impacts how I feel about them as a company and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t feel like supporting them in the future. Way to go Buff ... boo 👎🏽

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
I at,

I liken the word “buff” to “selfie stick”(which I am so happy I never saw one of those on the Camino). Someone came up with the name and tens of thousands have been manufactured and sold all over the world by different companies. I’m sure someone trademarked the term, but what else can you call it? A “buff” is a “buff”. We all know what it is. I vote for leaving the term “Camino Buff”. That’s what it is called in other strokes on the Camino. I saw one in Tui last year and in Stgo this year. So you are not alone my friend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Th
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
e original buff is quite popular in Canada and the USA. I have several of their buffs. I would not think it would be an issue for you to call them a buff, you aren’t calling the original buff. I would think they have trademarked the entire name “original buff” but I’m not an expert in legal matters.

Maybe hiking scarf or Camino scarf would work as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
In the US we call it a gator... used also to put around the neck to protect against the cold, wind, dust. I used the ones made out of fleece for skiing . The light material I used for the Camino and spring skiing.

In the US we call it a gator... used also to put around the neck to protect against the cold, wind, dust. I used the ones made out of fleece for skiing . The light material I used for the Camino and spring skiing.
Sorry the word id Gaiter

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have an original Buff from the company Buff and I have a neck warmer thingy from another company. The fact that Buff would make a big deal about this really impacts how I feel about them as a company and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t feel like supporting them in the future. Way to go Buff ... boo 👎🏽
I'm sure that if you had developed a product and trademarked the name (at no small expense, I'm sure) you would be none too happy with those who wanted to trade off your good name to sell their own knock off products.

I'm English, Ivar. I have four of them. They're known as snoods. I know that because I always forget their name whenever I want a new one 🤔

I wouldn't call it a neck warmer, as many people wear them dampened in water in the summer as a neck cooler. I have seen similar products advertised as "neck gaiters". I think that multi-purpose tubular head and neck scarf would be a good description.
And around the wrist to wipe the sweat and as a sweatband or ear-warmer, depending on the weather. Multipurpose tube scarf?

OK, this quite a thread. How about calling it a dew rag. People in the states wear a dew rag when working outside or riding a motorcycle.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Multifunctional Head Gear
Multifunctional HeadWear

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
According to Wikipedia a neck gator also known as a neck warmer or a bath is an article of clothing worn about the neck for warmth it is a closed two of fabric off and thick fleece merino wool synthetic wicking or knit material which is slept on and off over the head

In Elizabethan times didn't everyone wear elaborate collars called a Ruffe? Maybe investigate the use of a Ruffe & trademark that for your shop, Ivar.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Not sure if this helps much, but in Spanish it's called "braga de cuello" - literally neck knickers (panty). Some stores call it a "bufanda tubular" - a tubular scarf. But trekking and mountain bike people here often refer to it as a BUFF, pronounced like BOOFF by Spanish people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does it still exist as a separate and identifiable regiment, or has it gone the way of so many of those wonderful county regiments and been amalgamated out of existence?
Royal East Kent + Royal West Kent + Royal Surrey + Royal Sussex + Middlesex + Royal Hampshire = Princess of Wales Royal Regiment officially nicknamed "The Tigers" unofficially "The Squidgies" after the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Still garrisoned in Canterbury though.

Buff is a very busy word......according to the Merrium-Webster dictionary
buff
noun
\ ˈbəf \
Definition of buff
(Entry 1 of 3)
1: a garment (such as a uniform) made of buff leather
2: the state of being nude sunbathing in the buff
3a: a moderate orange yellow
b: a light to moderate yellow
4: a device having a soft absorbent surface (as of cloth) by which polishing material is applied
5[ earlier buff an enthusiast about going to fires; perhaps from the buff overcoats worn by volunteer firefighters in New York City about1820 ] : FAN, ENTHUSIAST

buff
adjective
Definition of buff (Entry 2 of 3)
1: of the color buff
2or buffed \ ˈbəft \ : having a physique enhanced by bodybuilding exercises

buff
verb
buffed; buffing; buffs
Definition of buff (Entry 3 of 3)
transitive verb
1: POLISH, SHINEwaxed and buffed the floor
2: to give a velvety surface to (leather)
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar

€60,-
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Hi Ivar,
I'm sure it's all about branding and marketing. There are a number of versions now of the same product. I live in New Zealand, so I've just checked online with a major outdoors store here. They call the versions they sell 'Neck gaiters'. It looked a generic term and not a brand name, like'Buff'.
Cheers,
Rodney

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
What about Camino scarf?

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
How about, "Infinity Scarf," Ivar? 😎 Or perhaps, "The One Scarf?" Tube Scarf? Neck Warmer?

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Ivar, I am sure the caller was b(l)uffing you.

Hmmm... Camino Cubierta (or even Cubierto) has a nice ring to it as well.

€60,-
@Saint Mike II, @Poppy-Pete and others who don't want to read 132 messages before they comment, here's a short summary:
  • Ivar decided to use the term "neck warmers" and changed the text in the forum shop many messages ago.
  • Buff is a Spanish company (full company name: Original Buff SA).
  • EU law on trademarks apply: forum shop and Buff company operate in Spain.
  • The word Buff for product and company was created by Joan Rojas and he worked in his family's textile business near Barcelona. It is not likely that he was aware of meaning and origin of this word in English or other languages.
  • There are several "Original Buff" neck warmers on sale in the forum shop. The ones made by the Buff company are described with the words "Original Buff" and "BUFF®" in the forum shop and the ones made by other companies are merely described as "neck warmers" now.
  • The letter R in a circle after the name BUFF indicates that it is a registered trademark. The Buff company registered it in Alicante/Spain where the European Union Intellectual Property Office happens to be located.
Just have a look for yourselves in the forum shop, people: pictures, text, video for BUFF® headgear and it's On Sale! Don't wait too long, there are still a few left in stock!

thanks for the 'rebuff', I had a quick scan of the thread buff obviously didn't see the matter had been buffled, I mean settled!

Ivar, I am sure the caller was b(l)uffing you.
Please tell us that you have posted this as a joke just for the cute word play. Because if that is not so, I think it fundamentally misrepresents the circumstances that Ivar has been dealing with.

The company Original Buff SA developed a lightweight elastic neck tube over 20 years ago, and coined the term 'buff' for its name. This was a fundamentally new meaning of the word in English. While the word might have been in use for centuries, it was never used to refer to such an item of clothing. As such, the company was entitled to protect the use of this term for that purpose as a trademark, and have done so around the world, together with a range of the Buff logos.

While some of us think that the word has entered common usage, others have pointed out that this is so for many other words we use in day-to-day speech that are trademarks. Facial tissues, adhesive tapes and carbonated soft drinks are examples. Nonetheless, the trademark owner remains entitled to the protection of their intellectual property, and where their trademark is used in advertising, etc, they are entitled to ask that the person who has done this to cease and desist.

Without knowing the details of how the message was sent to Ivar, the company appears to have detected what it considers to be an inappropriate use of its trademark on Ivar's website and asked him to stop using the term that they own for these items. I see that as a perfectly rational and reasonable approach to finding one's trademark being misused. Ivar hasn't let us know whether this discussion was handled sensitively by the company's representative or not, neither does he need to. But there is no reason to suggest that the company would have been other than professional in their dealings with him, even if one can imagine how upsetting and unwelcome this might have been to Ivar.

On the face of it, Original Buff SA has a well established and long standing record of owning the term and logos as trademarks. This is not something recent. They clearly advertise that the term is a trademark on their own website, and relatively simple searches of several trademark databases verifies that this is not a spurious claim.

I am not an expert in how this might play out in Spain were Ivar to ignore the company's request to stop using the term, but I can imagine it would progress to more formal demands and further legal action. That is not something that I would relish personally, and wouldn't wish on anyone else. In any case, Ivar has already made the changes to remove the term. I think we should be supporting him in that.

Prev poster said: "It's a Camino buff so why not call it a Cabuff."

It's catchy. I'd buy a Cabuff.

Please tell us that you have posted this as a joke just for the cute word play. Because if that is not so, I think it fundamentally misrepresents the circumstances that Ivar has been dealing with.

The company Original Buff SA developed a lightweight elastic neck tube over 20 years ago, and coined the term 'buff' for its name. This was a fundamentally new meaning of the word in English. While the word might have been in use for centuries, it was never used to refer to such an item of clothing. As such, the company was entitled to protect the use of this term for that purpose as a trademark, and have done so around the world, together with a range of the Buff logos.

While some of us think that the word has entered common usage, others have pointed out that this is so for many other words we use in day-to-day speech that are trademarks. Facial tissues, adhesive tapes and carbonated soft drinks are examples. Nonetheless, the trademark owner remains entitled to the protection of their intellectual property, and where their trademark is used in advertising, etc, they are entitled to ask that the person who has done this to cease and desist.

Without knowing the details of how the message was sent to Ivar, the company appears to have detected what it considers to be an inappropriate use of its trademark on Ivar's website and asked him to stop using the term that they own for these items. I see that as a perfectly rational and reasonable approach to finding one's trademark being misused. Ivar hasn't let us know whether this discussion was handled sensitively by the company's representative or not, neither does he need to. But there is no reason to suggest that the company would have been other than professional in their dealings with him, even if one can imagine how upsetting and unwelcome this might have been to Ivar.

On the face of it, Original Buff SA has a well established and long standing record of owning the term and logos as trademarks. This is not something recent. They clearly advertise that the term is a trademark on their own website, and relatively simple searches of several trademark databases verifies that this is not a spurious claim.

I am not an expert in how this might play out in Spain were Ivar to ignore the company's request to stop using the term, but I can imagine it would progress to more formal demands and further legal action. That is not something that I would relish personally, and wouldn't wish on anyone else. In any case, Ivar has already made the changes to remove the term. I think we should be supporting him in that.

Indeed dougfitz, it was very much tongue in cheek and meant as a joke. Sorry if I offended.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar

Just had a look at my “buff” and it’s marked “Buff” with an R for registered trademark by the name ... I’d never thought about it before - I bought this in Australia :)
Cheers
Jenny

Attachments

• 95274481-FE6F-4222-8257-F14AFD4B1DB3.jpeg
    95274481-FE6F-4222-8257-F14AFD4B1DB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
We call them "neckies" around our household. I had them in Merino wool (for skiing) long before I ever heard of "Original Buff" or wearing these things in warm weather.

I believe the common term for a circular neck warmer like a buff is "neck gaiter" or just "gaiter." Or you can call it "multifunctional headwear" as Buff describes their product.

€149,-
I bought a custom Buff from a Canadian lady about 7 years ago and nobody, at that time, could understand why a Spanish company hadn't spotted the potential - what did yours look like? Looked back - it was the "Beverley Buff" ;)

It is one and the same :)! Beverley started the project and I took it over when she didn't want to continue, actually called it the original Camino de Santiago Graffiti Buff. Most pilgrims will recognize the design.

DSC_1400.JPG

I did a bit of research and came up with the following information.
and a great alternative description on "multifunctional tubular bandana" or "tubular bandana"

My interpretation is that Mr Rojas invented a product & called it a "Buff", the product has become so popular that the word buff has entered into common language usage to describe a "tubular bandana". Certainly the word in capital letters is trademarked - BUFF® as is the circle with the word written in it. (see below) I'm not a lawyer but it does appear that the word buff is trademarked regardless of how the word is written when it is referring to the tubular bandana.

buff® history (https://buffusa.com/company/history.html
It all began in 1991 on a bike.
Charged with a passion for motorcycles, our founder, Joan Rojas, sought to find a solution to keep his neck and head protected on his cross-country rides. Plucking from his knowledge of tubular knitting, he churned out the first BUFF headwear product, focusing on supreme craftsmanship, and tested it as he traveled the length of the Pyrenees. BUFF®, short for bufanda, which means “scarf” in Spanish, was born.

Partnering with superior manufacturers of raw materials, over the past 25 years, BUFF® has premiered and innovated the tubular headwear category. Our company-owned factory, which is located downstairs of our headquarters in Spain, allows us to ensure that, start to finish, excellence is built into every product.

Today, just as then, BUFF® headwear is a product built on this ethos of quality; it’s in the marrow of our company.

Technology has progressed and the industry of textiles has moved into a new age, and we have evolved with it. While we incorporate state-of-the-art fabric technologies, like COOLMAX® and Polygeine®, into our products, we stick to our heritage of quality and reliability. It’s these time-tested qualities that athletes and outdoor enthusiasts from an array of sports depend on, and why BUFF® is the original multifunctional headwear.

1565504147869.png
Trade mark information
Trade mark number 000366070
Type Figurative
Filing date 09/09/1996
Registration date31/05/2001 Nice Classification25
Trade mark status RegisteredBasisEUTMReferenceC-675/96
Owner information
Owner ID number186080

Owner nameORIGINAL BUFF, S.A.
Representative information
Representative ID number11849
Representative name ELZABURU, S.L.P.
Last publication 21/06/2017 C.2.2
Mark Drawing
- Illustration: Drawing or design which also includes word(s)/ letter(s)/number(s) Typeset
The mark consists of the stylized wording "BUFF" appearing on a diagonal within a circle.

Buff® and any “How to wear Buff® ” icon symbols are registered trademarks of Original Buff, SA Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's an expression in french "boff" which is basically a gallic verbal shoulder shrug - which seems to react to this situation quite well. How about "non-orginal buff-boff"?

To add to the discussion, here in the Pilgrim Office, we sell several Camino design, Tube type microfiber items. I am attaching a photo I just took of one such item.

Note what they are called by another Spanish competitor of the “Original Buff.”

45A4A6DB-D7BA-4977-BA27-0625996C0EEA.jpeg

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
I’ve heard them referred to generically his neck tubes. I’m not surprised the buff people would get uptight with that term being used if they aren’t original.

They are very poplar in Colorado for skiers....when you google them on Amazon they are under Neck Warmers ....or Neck Warmers Multi Purpose....Neck Warmers Convenient for Camino! Don’t go without one!

Tubular headwear?

To add to the discussion, here in the Pilgrim Office, we sell several Camino design, Tube type microfiber items. I am attaching a photo I just took of one such item.

Note what they are called by another Spanish competitor of the “Original Buff.”

View attachment 62352
"Original" but not saying what was original.

I'm reminded of the two manufacturers of the Swiss Army Knife. They came to a trademark agreement. One was "The original Swiss Army Knife" and the other was "The genuine Swiss Army Knife". One has since bought out the other so it really doesn't make a difference any more.

It's a bit like saying Biro (ballpoint pen) about a pen that isn't made by Biro, or Sellotape when it's another brand of sticky tape ... seems silly to me, but there it is. Other words you could use are snood, neck warmer, headband, probably lots more. Why have they reacted though, do they keep an eye on even a small forum shop?
Neck Gaiter is also sold.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
i know it's a bit long but you could try "multi-purpose tube scarf". This little tube of fabric is versatile and serves many purposes. we wore it on our heads and necks during the day for both protection from the sun and warmth in the cold. After we washed them we would wear them over our eyes at night to help us sleep when it was light out.

Hi Ivar -
What does your supplier call the item? How about using that name - unless of course they’re calling the item a buff.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar

The Columbia Sportswear Company calls them "Neck Gaiters" on their website, which is not a trademarked name. Neck Gaiter

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
What about a Camino Buffy? Rather than a Buff.

Easier.
In Spanish languaje: " Braga "

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.