• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Buff" question for native English speakers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does it still exist as a separate and identifiable regiment, or has it gone the way of so many of those wonderful county regiments and been amalgamated out of existence?

Buffs_(Royal_East_Kent_Regiment)_Cap_Badge (1).jpg

Sadly Yes. Now Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires).

Last edited:
Stumbled upon a London based company called CONTRADO that will print off small batches of "neck warmers" ;) to your personalised design:

1567285712405.png

If you just want one made they're £18 each but the price goes down as you order more. . . .

1 = £18 each

2, 3, 4 or 5 = £16 each

10 = £10 each

20 = £8 each

20 at £8 each might be of interest to a club or small group of pilgrims - I think you'd have to order a minimum of 200 if you buy custom Buffs.

Last edited:
Interesting. I am an american. I never heard the word Buff...until I joined this forum and I have hiked in Europe for more than 30 years. Have used scarfs or Balaclavas...but no buffs....:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola all,

I have a strange question.... it is regarding the word "Buff". What I mean is the clothing that one puts over ones head, like a scarf, but sown into a circle. Many of you have used it on the Camino I am sure.

I sell them on my store, but today got a message from a representative of the "Original Buff" company saying that I could not use the word buff to describe any product that is not made by them. That they had registered it as a trademark.

If this is the case (I need to look this up, is there a way to do this?), what could I use as a description for this piece of clothing? I thought it was "Buff"... much like t-shirt is a t-shirt. Since English is not my first language, I ask here.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
I think it is overkill on a company like that to go after a small operation like yours. A few years ago a local guy around my area (Minnesota) had Cartier coming after him because his insurance company had the same name.... difference? Cartier was HIS last name and he pronounced it carteer. I seem to remember he won.

I think it is overkill on a company like that to go after a small operation like yours. A few years ago a local guy around my area (Minnesota) had Cartier coming after him because his insurance company had the same name.... difference? Cartier was HIS last name and he pronounced it carteer. I seem to remember he won.
McDonalds famously went after an Irish burger chain claiming that the Irish "SuperMac" burger could be confused thit McDonalds' Big Mac. They lost, they no longer have exclusive rights to the "Big Mac" anywhere inside the European Union.
Which led to a competitor bring out this video

Hola all,

I have a strange question.... it is regarding the word "Buff". What I mean is the clothing that one puts over ones head, like a scarf, but sown into a circle. Many of you have used it on the Camino I am sure.

I sell them on my store, but today got a message from a representative of the "Original Buff" company saying that I could not use the word buff to describe any product that is not made by them. That they had registered it as a trademark.

If this is the case (I need to look this up, is there a way to do this?), what could I use as a description for this piece of clothing? I thought it was "Buff"... much like t-shirt is a t-shirt. Since English is not my first language, I ask here.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Some ideas include: neck gaiter, neck warmer, tube hat, and tube scarf.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always thought that "buff" was that way because it was a Spanish company and it was like "bufanda". For me, it's not something common I see here in the US, but when I taught English at a school in Spain, many of the kids would wear them even during classes. I'm blanking on what I would call them, though ...

Although I have bought a “buff” in the past, I tend to call them snood’s.
I was told years ago that it was a combination of the words scarf, neck, and hood.
I do however agree the word buff is a branded name for this product,
but I also agree that it’s been in the English language for that it’s become a proper noun, like hoover and Jeep.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Bandana scarf

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Just call it BUF(F), BUFFF, BUPHF, BUFPH or BUPHPH and everyone will know what you are talking about and at the same time they'll have fun. However if you use one of those to words I will want payment for it hahahahahaha...just joking.
Really Ivar, if you justuse one of the above ;)

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
If you google Buff you will see it is registered trade mark so would say you cannot use, silly I know

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Somewhat late I know but I believe this item of clothing is known as a snood. It has been used since at least medieval times in English speaking countries and has been favored by motorcycle riders in English speaking countries for many a year to the present day..

This was said 140 messages ago. I wonder whether this is the forum thread with the highest number of participants, in other words, the most popular forum thread of all times. 🙃
Sorry I reopened the wound :( just trying to be helpful . . .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have two original "Buff"s which I have enjoyed on Caminos, especially when I came down with a terrible cold and sore throat in April. I was able to cover the buff on my neck and in the colder mornings lift a portion above my nose. It stayed securely and warmed up the air I was breathing as I walked. It helped immensely.
That said, I have purchased two knock offs. They are thinner and flimsier and I do not like them as well, kinda like "you get what you pay for". They do not fit as securely and snug as the original name brand Buffs...'just sayin.

Thanks for every one of these comments. I have now taken delivery of a buff-like object from Ivar.20190905_191448.jpg

Interesting. I am an american. I never heard the word Buff...until I joined this forum and I have hiked in Europe for more than 30 years. Have used scarfs or Balaclavas...but no buffs....:)
I first heard of a "buff" in 2000 while watching the American reality tv show "Survivor", as all the contestants are given one to wear continuously to identify the playing team they are on.

I first heard of a "buff" in 2000 while watching the American reality tv show "Survivor", as all the contestants are given one to wear continuously to identify the playing team they are on.
I thought you were going to mention the winner, Richard Hatch, who spent a lot of time "in the buff" [naked].

Last edited:
I thought you were going to mention the winner, Richard Hatch, who spent a lot of time "in the buff".
Love it, Rick! You are so funny, and yes, he did! Thankfully "it" was blocked out. We have watched all the seasons faithfully since the beginning, except when on vacation or walking caminos. It is one of the few shows we look forward to watching each season.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar

I know these can be configured and worn in many different ways but when worn on the top of the head in the U.S. they are often called a do-rag or du-rag.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Hi Ivar,
These items are well known in South Africa where they have been called buffs since pa fell off the bus. I was told the name originated when motorcyclists started wearing them to the annual Buffalo Motorcycle Rally, often simpy referred to as The Buff. I have never heard of the Spanish connection till now. Interestingly enough the registered name is Buff S.A. S.A. as in South Africa?

Best wishes from Porriño, on my way to Santiago.

Julia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Ok, having read some, but not all of the replies, I'm suddenly inspired to give it a new name altogether:
It is a MUHANWA - multi use head and neck wrap accessory. Start your own trade name!

I have never heard of the Spanish connection till now. Interestingly enough the registered name is Buff S.A. S.A. as in South Africa?
S.A. stand for Societat anònima in Catalan or Sociedad anónima in Spanish. Buff S.A. operates from Catalonia in Spain.

Sociedad anónima designates a type of corporation under the company law of many European countries. It's roughly equivalent to plc in the UK and Inc. in the US.

Hi Ivar,
These items are well known in South Africa where they have been called buffs since pa fell off the bus. I was told the name originated when motorcyclists started wearing them to the annual Buffalo Motorcycle Rally, often simpy referred to as The Buff. I have never heard of the Spanish connection till now. Interestingly enough the registered name is Buff S.A. S.A. as in South Africa?

Best wishes from Porriño, on my way to Santiago.

Julia
South Africa is ZA - Zuid-Afrika, you should know that ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar

Maybe try calling them "Not a buff" 😆

There's an Australian company that makes them featuring Aboriginal designs. The Australian company has registered the name "Headsox" which I think is clever. I like to wear Ivar's Camino product (by whatever name) when walking in Australia, and when walking in Europe I like to wear a one with an Aboriginal design. They make great presents when travelling - easy to carry and lightweight.

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
A neck gaiter

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I read this somewhere. BUFF is essentially the Xerox of neck gaiters

A neck gaiter

Neck shade

All a bit academic now. Ivar describes the non-Buff products as neck warmers in the forum shop listings (here - its always worth having a look from time to time).

It may be, but the trademark owner appears to be prepared to protect their intellectual property rights, and not allow it to be used for other than products they make.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It's a while since I've heard the word "Xerox". I'd forgotten what it was.

A neck-warmer, neck-gaiter, neck-tube, neck-scarf, turtle-tube, neck-snood, bandana, neck-wrap, running-wrap.....

Hola all,

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ivar
Www.giraffeUk.com call them tubulour neckwear. I've also seen them called Multiwraps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The corporate lawyers at Buff have been ever so vigilant! But, they are also making lots of work for the marketing agency copy writers responsible for developing euphemisms.

I looked up these products on the REI website. Sure enough, the various brands are called "Multifunctional Headwear (or neckwear)," a "Neck Gaiter," "Daily Tube," "Multifunctional Tube," "Performance Neck Warmer," and so on.

I vote for Ivar's Multifunctional Tubular Performance Head/Neck Warming Gaiter.

The BUFF trademark is registered in the U S. If it is not registered in Spain you can use it. It has to be registered in each country individually. If that is the case you could register your Camino Buff trademark in Spain.

It's a while since I've heard the word "Xerox". I'd forgotten what it was.
😄. And neither Xerox nor Buff are brandnames that have become generic terms that are as internationally known as people might think. I didn't know what a sellotape is when I heard the word for the first time and would you know what I need when I ask you for a tempo?

And I don't want to spoil the fun and there certainly have been new and entertaining comments in the last few days but some recent suggestions have been made already half a dozen times in this thread. In case you don't notice: the thread has over 250 posts and must be one of the longer forum threads ... ☺️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.